• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 controller: touchpad + share button + dualshock

I find the "share" button to be one of the lamest ideas I've heard in years. That could EASILY have been done through the PS button instead of clogging the controller with another button.

Clogging with another button? The report says the start, select and PS buttons have been taken away.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
8392004159_63c5412c81.jpg

If it's something like this,

I'm in.

its not

the front touchpad is like Vita's rear-touch pad. Its not a screen.

Just give it SLIGHTLY bigger handles and I'll be a happy camper. My hands have never gotten 100% comfortable with the dualshock ergonomics.

thuway

PLEASE CHANGE THE CONTROLLERS MOLD. Xbox 360 has the best controller mold in the world. That + more comfortable buttons = nomnonmnononmnom.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Share button sounds fantastic. I was hoping the controller would be a tad bit bigger but I don't mind as long as there are proper triggers and better ergonomics. Even if it isn't bigger, a tweaked shape could go a long way.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.
OK that's AWESOME. It's a really smart concept and if it's as easy to use as it sounds, this is going to be huge.

I'm OK with the size and layout of the Dualshock but I hope they make the triggers concave instead of the way they are now.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I hate the Vita's rear touchpad, it doesn't work all that well.
Share button sounds nice as long as it doesn't require Facebook or something stupid like that.

NotLiquid

I find the "share" button to be one of the lamest ideas I've heard in years. That could EASILY have been done through the PS button instead of clogging the controller with another button.

Al;so, guys--TouchPAD, not TouchSCREEN

Gotta agree. A well organized menu could easily shoehorn that function in. A Share button just sounds kind of pointless, the function is interesting but not it's location on the controller.

Also, eh. Touch pad. It works with Vita because you're practically always touching a segment that's discernible on screen but I'm not sure how well that would go down between one controller and a big screen. Not sure why they're replacing the start/select buttons with it.

Cool, beans. Wait until people's touchscreens crap out and they have to buy an entirely new controller if they want to get past the menu screen or back out of a game.

The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

This is awesome

Sort of how I feel sadly. Was hoping for some changes to it but hopefully the triggers and sticks have a different feel.

My hands are fairly large, and my thumbs tend to rest towards the center of the controller. So if that touchpad shit is true, it's going to be pretty goddamn terrible.

apana

I've never used the Vita touchpad before. Is this similar in function to a laptop touchpad? If so it could be very useful. I think touchpad is actually better than dual analog for fps but I guess it would be much harder to pull off on a controller as opposed to a keyboard.

Ah gotcha.

Well, could be interesting. I don't really see much point to the touchpad, but I like the idea of a share button.

Could be used for really easy web browsing/etc. If the console is going to be very social centric, the touch pad is a better option for menu browsing than a regular controller stick.

ironcreed

Banned
Tell me why the same function couldn't be added as a PS button function? Thr fact that it replaces the PS button means that they just changed the PS buttons name to share button!

Because it's a touch pad, not a button. It is slicker and more modern. Whether they could have used it before is irrelevant. What is important is that it is a new feature now and it improves upon the design, without sacrificing the integrity of the old.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Clogging with another button? The report says the start, select and PS buttons have been taken away.

None of those specific buttons are needed with a touchpad.

Sounds like a horrible gimmick to me.

If they dont do something about the analog sticks and triggers will once again not be my go to system.

deadlast

quite bizarre that they put in a touchpad for those features? would it be cheaper to implement than buttons?

This is what caught my eye

... PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

The same size would mean that we could see the the buttons, sticks, and d-pad from the vita to accommodate this touchpad.

Also, the touchpad could be for vita cross play games. Look at the KZ mercenary trailer and how you have to do swiping motions on the screen to accomplish a task...

Duffyside

Banned
The controller also needs to be a bit "longer" in how it fits into your palms, and of course the triggers need to be fixed (close to how the Move controller has them).

Then we're good, Sony.

Also: Why is the square button still a shitty pink/purple? They should make it yellow, and do the XBox thing of making the buttons colored, and the shapes black or white.

which is the same size as an existing DualShock

god I hope this isn't true. it's time for a new design sony. just copy the 360 controller and be done with it. :/

the share feature sounds amazing though, I can't begin to describe how happy I am that it's in and at an OS level. a truly wonderful feature that's going to change the way we experience games.

woe unto the console that doesn't offer this feature at an OS level. woe unto thee.

Sounds like a horrible gimmick to me.

If they dont do something about the analog sticks and triggers will once again not be my go to system.

The analog sticks and triggers aren't that big of a deal for me since a third party will come along and develop a controller with competent sticks and triggers eventually.

But that touchpad is a deal breaker if it turns out like I think it's going to.

So if it's an unlabeled touchpad and not a touchscreen, how will we be able to tell where the start/select button functionality is?

And if it's *labeled,* what's the advantage that it holds over buttons?

I'd rather have buttons, but barring that, I'd rather have a touchscreen than a blank touchpad.

zoukka

Because it's a touch pad, not a button. It is slicker and more modern. Whether they could have used it before is irrelevant. What is important is that it is a new feature now and it improves upon the design, without sacrificing the integrity of the old.

Eh I was speaking of the share button, not the touchpad.

And if it's *labeled,* what's the advantage that it holds over buttons?

You can do swipe gestures...

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Tell me why the same function couldn't be added as a PS button function? Thr fact that it replaces the PS button means that they just changed the PS buttons name to share button!

The touchpad might be involved in some kind of integrated rudimentary image/video editing app. Definitely better for the job than joysticks and buttons.

Top Bottom