• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Fracas

#fuckonami
iUnkU5T.png

Developer: Crystal Dynamics
Publisher: Square Enix
ESRB M, PEGI 18+
Release date: 3/5/13

jQ53Vf2rg83Do.jpg

ipz3KddjbEgtj.png

Preorder bonuses:
Challenge Tomb (exclusive single player DLC)
Shanty Town multiplayer map​
Amazon ("Final Hours edition"):​
Exclusive art book
Hunter skin for Lara
Digital copy of Geoff Keighley's The Final Hours of Tomb Raider for Kindle Fire
Access code for Scavenger Hunt
Shanty Town multiplayer map
$5 Amazon credit​
Aviatrix skin for Lara
Tomb Raider: The Beginnings 48 page comic book​
Guerilla skin for Lara
Access code for Scavenger Hunt
Shanty Town multiplayer map
Download code for Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (walmart.com only)
$4.99 VUDU credit (walmart.com only)​

ibbaOxjmwGrzw6.png

(click to be taken to Amazon or Amazon.co.uk's product page)
North America:​

Europe:​

itr03QT0HCOu.png

WuYbWBO.jpg

jJQ8RGd9FSzum.jpg

jbhJsnm6xrLTu6.png
jutkhqSGyYXED.png

jxApiWzyDqpO8.png

Lara is the product of a privileged childhood, and was sheltered from the harsh realities of life. Growing up, Lara spent time travelling with her parents on archaeological expeditions, until they mysteriously disappeared. She developed a worldly outlook and a passion for ancient mysteries. After graduating college, she took her first major job as a crewmember on the ship Endurance.

After serving two combat tours with the RMC (Royal Marine Commandos) Conrad Roth left the military and put his specialized skills to use as wreck-diver and freelance treasure-hunter. Roth traveled the world, earning a reputation for toughness, competence, and a willingness to bend inconvenient laws restricting traffic in historical artifacts. Those qualities attracted the attention of wealthy private collectors including Lara’s parents. For several years, Roth accompanied Richard Croft on over a dozen treasure-hunting expeditions, acting as a guide and, when necessary, bodyguard. Roth has modeled his style of leadership on that of his hero, the explorer Ernest Shackleton. The welfare and safety of his crew is paramount to Roth and he prides himself on instinctively knowing who is going to make a good crewmember. He is also a hands-on leader who knows how to boost the morale of his shipmates, have fun and remain both optimistic and realistic.

Lastly, there is the crew. When the Endurance splits in half and the group separated, Lara must find them and regroup at all costs.

jbquHnTwQLqo0H.jpg

Executive producer Ron Rosenberg said:
When people play Lara, they don't really project themselves into the character. They're more like 'I want to protect her.' There's this sort of dynamic of 'I'm going to this adventure with her and trying to protect her'.
Lara Croft is a recently graduated archaeologist aboard the vessel of her late father's friend, Conrad Roth. As part of the crew of Endurance, Lara and her shipmates are sailing for the island of Yamatai, in search of untold wealth. During the voyage, a violent storm shipwrecks the crew, and they become stranded and separated.

Lack of supplies and inclement weather may be the least of Lara and her friends' problems. Carniverous predators lurk the island at every corner, and bands of mercenaries infest the environment as well. To protect herself and regroup with her friends, Lara will have to toughen herself against the harsh terrain.

Survive.

Single player media

Screenshots

rambolararvuht.gif

Console (Xbox 360) screenshots

TressFX
tomb-raider-pc-features.jpg

Videos

Announcement trailer
"Survivor" trailer
"Monastery Escape" trailer
E3 2012 stage demo

jnltNjoZeS5FF.jpg

Tomb Raider will feature multiplayer, with up to 8 players supported. Most of the playable characters in multiplayer come from the single-player experience. The MP was created not by Crystal Dynamics, but by Eidos Montreal (Deus Ex: Human Revolution). There are 3 gametypes and 5 maps, pitting Survivors versus Scavengers. There is no online pass.

Gametypes

Team Deathmatch: 4v4, first team to reach 25 kills wins. You've seen this before.

Rescue: Survivors attempt to recover medical supplies while the Scavengers try to kill them with a melee execution. Round based.

Cry for Help: Survivors must activate radio transmitters while preventing the batteries from falling into Scavenger hands. Round based.

Free for All: Kill enough player without dying to become "it" and hold your title as long as possible before time runs out.​

Maps

Beach: A storm wrought beach where Scavengers attempt to harness lightning.

Shrine: A serene temple high atop a mountain.

Chasm: A sun bleached dryland.

Underground: Below the island lies a submarine...

Monastery: A cavernous ravine with deadly ridges.

Shantytown: An abandoned settlement, rife with danger. (DLC)​

Multiplayer media

Screenshots
CQ0m1fy.jpg
MUXSGuE.jpg
20Layjy.jpg
hNK7mg9.jpg

Videos
Team Deathmatch
Rescue gametype
jN43GX3KRdAmf.jpg

vDpP8k3.png

iU60u4mlSwv6Y.gif

Conan O'Brien
press-start.com- 5/5
Polygon - 9/10
Ausgamers - 9/10
Stevivor.com - 9/10
Eurogamer - 8/10
Edge - 8/10
CVG - 9/10
IGN - 9.1/10
Destructoid - 8.5/10
Telegraph.co.uk - 5/5
OXM UK - 8/10
Penny Arcade
Gamespot - 8.5/10
Shacknews
GameTrailers - 8.5 /10
Game Informer - 9.25
EGM - 8/10
Metro Gamecentral - 8/10
NZGamer - 10/10
Escapist Magazine - 5/5
Digital Trends - 9.5/10
Machinima - 6/10
jbhc3JuOtkc2Dw.jpg

Special thanks to Diamond, Franklinator, rvy, Andrew., and Tricky I Shadow!
P.S if there are any mistakes in the OP, let me know and I will correct them!

Skilletor

Thread needs more PC next-gen hair.

Great OT.

Can't say I'm looking forward to playing it, but I am looking forward to seeing it on my PC.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not long now, though I really should finish my Dishonored playthrough before moving on to something else...

Available: 4 March 2013

This game will unlock in approximately 5 days and 8 hours

ezekial45

Banned
Good title.
KuGsj.gif

Anyway, I'm in the crowd that is looking forward to this game. I wasn't too interested in the past TR games, but I'm into what I what see here. It's definitely the most intricate and comprehensive game of the series.

I hope I like it!

antitrop

I'm excited for the game, I think it will be fantastic.

It's the most I've cared about the franchise in over 10 years.

Kills a person, cries, kills 20,000 more in brutal ways because more exp!

Now the first time you kill somebody, that's the hardest. I don't give a shit if you're fuckin' Wyatt Earp or Jack the Ripper. Remember that guy in Texas? The guy up in that fuckin' tower that killed all them people? I'll bet you green money that first little black dot he took a bead on, that was the bitch of the bunch. First one is tough, no fuckin' foolin'. The second one... the second one ain't no fuckin' Mardis Gras either, but it's better than the first one 'cause you still feel the same thing, y'know... except it's more diluted, y'know it's... it's better. I threw up on the first one, you believe that? Then the third one... the third one is easy, you level right off. It's no problem. Now... shit... now I do it just to watch their fuckin' expression change.

Squire

Banned
Excellent OT! Forgot all about the art book and Amazon credit! Would've got the CE, but I'm saving for a new console. Easily one of the best CEs this gen though because of the PAK figure alone. Those are always top notch.

This looks great. Forget the detractors. Day. One.

Gorillaz

yes now I can post my favorite gif of the game again

rambolararvuht.gif

She don't need protect bro

EDIT: got damn it...... it's in the op

GAMERG0D

Great OT, with all that preorder DLC nonsense I'll wait until I complete the older games before buying a GOTY edition.

RoKKeR

I just rewatched the Conan piece and the phrase "I'm just going to perv out here" is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

By far the best Clueless yet.

Dead

well not really...yet
Im guessing it will all be multiplayer DLC, doubt we'll see addition SP stuff like in Underworld.

Or CD could prove me wrong and release Croft Manor as DLC complete with Butler that we can shove inside the meat fridge!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Anyone know if the classic theme or rendition of it is in this one?

The reviews for the most part really dig the story, so I'm hyped for that. Rhianna Pratchett wrote it.

How are we 40 something posts in and no photos of Camilla? Goddammit GAF.

Bombadil

Banned
The way Conan O' Brian plays games is the only way I want to play games.

I watched his review of Tomb Raider and it was so great. He approaches it as an outsider, so he's able to pick up on all the stuff that regular games have become used to. Those annoying mechanics, the convenient bins to hide bodies (Hitman Absolution) are all very obvious to his sensibilities. Hell, even the violence is too much for him.

Anyway, on another note, I hate the visual quality of this game. There's just something muddled about it, like they added a grain filter so you can't see how low res all the textures are.

Top Bottom