• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paramount's 'Overlord' Supernatural WWII Drama, Dir Julius Avery (Cloverfield tie-in)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do sorta like how these films get bought up, reworked, and then just sorta reappear on a schedule later, only now they're Cloverfield movies.

Cloverfield
Valencia
The God Particle
Overlord

I really like this anthology direction they're pursuing with the brand. Use the recognizable name to push young filmmakers' work into the mainstream.

On the one hand, I kinda wanna see if/how they can tie all these weird sci-fi stories together into a unified continuity.

On the other hand: Fuck that.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
On the one hand, I kinda wanna see if/how they can tie all these weird sci-fi stories together into a unified continuity.

On the other hand: Fuck that.
Yeah, fuck shared universes.

I like this kind of cinematic Twilight Zone/original Halloween series concept thing they have going on.

So what's going to link them together? Will they all include monsters? If so, I just hope it's more gracefully handled than in 10CL.

SFenton

I do sorta like how these films get bought up, reworked, and then just sorta reappear on a schedule later, only now they're Cloverfield movies.

Cloverfield
Valencia
The God Particle
Overlord

I really like this anthology direction they're pursuing with the brand. Use the recognizable name to push young filmmakers' work into the mainstream.

This and your other post echo my opinion. I love how Paramount and Bad Robot saw the trend of cinematic universes and thought, "Hey, we can do this too, but in a wholly unique way".

It's so far leading to a very interesting and rewarding franchise with original ideas in every entry, just tied together thematically- very rare in modern Hollywood.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is there actually a Clover-verse or whatever they're calling this? They're basically scifi films with the name Cloverfield in them.

Arkeband

Banned
Article is stupid for the following passage:

...if Overlord is indeed a Clover-verse joint. If it is, it would be the earliest story in the shared timeline, perhaps answering some questions as to all this chaos has come about.

It's not a shared timeline, it's just an anthology series like Black Mirror. Each scenario happens independently of the others.

mjc

I'd definitely prefer that they kept the movies separate and just used the Cloverfield name as a nod to the other films.

But this sounds cool, I think supernatural slanted WW2 movies are horribly rare but should get more attention as a genre.

It's not a shared timeline, it's just an anthology series like Black Mirror. Each scenario happens independently of the others.

The issue is there are conflicting reports from 10 Cloverfield production that say otherwise.

At this point, I have no clue, but I'm banking on anthology.

Arkeband

Banned
The issue is there are conflicting reports from 10 Cloverfield production that say otherwise.

At this point, I have no clue, but I'm banking on anthology.

Well either 10 Cloverfield Lane or Cloverfield would need to reference the other in some way if they were a shared timeline, and they don't, so as it currently stands they're not related, at least by the movies themselves. They share a few references like Slusho, but it's like saying every FF is related because of chocobos or moogles.

Makonero

People keep trying to connect those stories together too. Everyone's obsessed with shared universes.

I blame Philip José Farmer.

Cloverfield
Valencia
The God Particle
Overlord

Almost like what Carpenter wanted to do with the Halloween series, but waited too long that it got to the point where audiences just wanted Michael Myers killing teenagers, not different Halloween-themed horror movies for each installment.

gamz

Almost like what Carpenter wanted to do with the Halloween series, but waited too long that it got to the point where audiences just wanted Michael Myers killing teenagers, not different Halloween-themed horror movies for each installment.

That and people want to see Meyers. He's way too iconic not to be about him when you name the movie Halloween.

Busty

Banned
This actually sounds quite interesting until (if I'm right, things change, I could be wrong) you consider the big 'twist' in this film's set up.

Apparently the soldiers are on a mission and discover that the Nazis are using
dark magic (or whatever) to create an army of undead soldiers
. My problem with that is this, hasn't the
WW2 zombie
idea been done to death at this point?

I know two people who have worked on films with this EXACT same idea (albeit much lower budgets) over the last couple of years. I'm sure Abrams and the studio will use their 'magic box' to sell this but it still feels oddly outdated as a concept for Bad Robot etc.

Faynwulf

I was super diappointed in 10 Cloverfield Lane. Is it so hard to make a real Cloverfield Sequel? I'm gonna guess that this won't be related to either aside from JJ saying it is.

Bishop89

supernatural ww2?

yes please

tumblr_mgmv5kwE2x1qhop3no1_500.gif

Cloverfield
Valencia
The God Particle
Overlord

Are those really technically Cloverfield movies? If so I have some homework to do.

I will wait until more info comes out before making a comment on this idea. It seems like a cool idea, but a ww2 supernatural movie usually ends up being bad in most cases.

Exactly. I don't care if they don't connect as long as the scripts are tight and a supernatural drama set in WWII called fucking OVERLORD sounds tight as fuck. It's a fantastic idea to get around the rut Hollywood has been stuck in for years now.

Well either 10 Cloverfield Lane or Cloverfield would need to reference the other in some way if they were a shared timeline, and they don't, so as it currently stands they're not related, at least by the movies themselves. They share a few references like Slusho, but it's like saying every FF is related because of chocobos or moogles.

They really wouldn't. They just need to not conflict with each other. It's not hard to tell independent stories in the same world and so far at least, that is possible. We don't know when either of those movies occurs in relation to each other, so there's no obvious conflict.

I imagine they haven't truly decided whether or not they'll connect them.

They should, but not directly. It would be way cooler to have an overarching mystery to solve about the monsters than to just have an anthology. Anthologies suck.

Saya

There's always room for more WW2 horror/supernatural movies. I kinda liked The Keep and would love to see an updated version of it.

near

Gold Member
Are those really technically Cloverfield movies? If so I have some homework to do.

Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Lane are the only two films set in the Clover-verse. God Particle is speculated to be part of the Clover-verse but not confirmed, there're strong indications that it is part of the shared universe though. Overlord seems to be rumored as well, again not confirmed. The only thing that is confirmed is that JJ Abrams said that there was 'something larger at play' with the Cloverfield brand, not necessarily anthology like but something new entirely, that's if he's lucky enough to see it through. Either way I'm really excited about this since everything Bad Robot touch turns to gold. :p

Busty

Banned
Was Valencia the codename for 10 Lane?

10 Cloverfield Lane started out life as a spec script called Valencia, California IIRC. It was quite late into the process (post filming??) before Paramount decided to give the film the 'Cloverfield' branding.

Pachimari

10 Cloverfield Lane started out life as a spec script called Valencia, California IIRC. It was quite late into the process (post filming??) before Paramount decided to give the film the 'Cloverfield' branding.

Yeah I remember they rebranded it, that was cool at the time. Just couldn't remember its original name.

Talking about Black Mirror, Wyatt Russell got cast in this movie, as well as Jovan Adepo (son in Fences)
http://deadline.com/2017/03/jovan-adepo-wyatt-russell-movie-overlord-paramount-1202046889/

If they're going to do a new cast for every cloverfield movie they should've given us a better ending to 10 Cloverfield instead of the sequel bait we got.
How was that sequel bait?

Lifeline

If they're going to do a new cast for every cloverfield movie they should've given us a better ending to 10 Cloverfield instead of the sequel bait we got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom