• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk (Closed) Beta Testing thread of impressions and questions.

params7

Banned
Changes in update 1.2.2

Today's 1.2.2 update for the Starhawk Private BETA was deployed during the rescheduled server maintenance at 4pm Central and contained a large number of changes:

Homing Missiles and Swarm Lasers now begin homing far more quickly.
All 4 speeds have been greatly increased for Normal & Advanced flight modes.
Advanced flight afterburner now requires a double-tap of R2.
Advanced flight now has high-engine speed on press-and-hold of R2.
Afterburner speed for Arcade mode has been reduced slightly.
Increased Swarm Laser targeting range & reticle box.
Hawk Flare cool-down time has been lengthened.
Hawks now decelerate far more quickly when transforming from flight to mech mode.
Lowered the Hawk Mech stomp attack camera.
Camera in Arcade flight mode has been pulled a bit further back.
Missile Scrub values for "canned" dodges have been slightly increased.
Hawk off-screen target tracking time has been increased slightly.
Sniper Rifle aim assist while scoped has been increased slightly.
Increased firing time for Razorback turret before over-heat.

As you can see we've made a large number of changes with this update mostly focused on flight gameplay. Listed below is a bit more detail on the changes and why we made them:

Flight Speed Adjustment:
A common discussion among the BETA Testers in the Starhawk community has been that the Hawk felt slow & sluggish. And with our recent re-instatement of Classic Warhawk Arcade mode, we felt that we needed to bring the speeds of Normal and Advanced flight up considerably. While doing so, we reduced the speed of Arcade mode afterburner by a bit (still very, very fast) to make sure that all 3 flight modes were truly unified with regard to speed.

We have also re-enabled double-tap of R2 on Advanced flight mode to trigger afterburner while a simple press-and-hold or R2 will engage high-engine speed. This was to give advanced pilots more control on their turning radius while dogfighting much like we did in Warhawk. Please also note that the double-tap for afterburner is still intact for Arcade flight mode.

Missile Homing and Trajectory:
Another issue plaguing the air gameplay in the Starhawk BETA has been that Homing Missiles and Swarm Lasers were not tracking their targets quickly enough. This resulted in a number of unsavory consequences. First, defending pilots had a lot of time to maneuver and scrub missiles and in some cases, pilots were almost un-killable with missiles. Secondly, Swarm Laser salvos and Homing Missiles would often look like they weren't tracking their targets at all because of how long they would stay in straight flight before their homing systems would kick-in. Today's update sees a radical change by fully eliminating the homing delay on Swarm Lasers and reducing the homing delay on Homing missiles down to 0.2 seconds.

It should be noted that while we did make a small alteration to the missile scrubbing with this update, the almost complete removal of the homing delay has made a massive impact on the dodging and air gameplay of dogfights -- making it more challenging. That said, we will continue to monitor the gameplay and combat analytics and see if further updates are required.

Hawk Transform Deceleration:
Landing the Hawk exactly where you wanted was very difficult due to the momentum of the Hawk when it transforms and often resulted in player frustration. Today's change is intended to help that by making the Hawk decelerate *FAR* more quickly when transforming. With today's update, the Hawk will come to a nearly immediate stop when transforming with only a tiny amount of drift.

Please also be aware that this change largely impacts deceleration forward/backwards and side to side. There is still far more momentum in the upward direction than we are happy with and we will be addressing that in a future update.

Camera Adjustment in Arcade Flight:
Today's update brings an alteration to the Arcade flight camera intended to help reduce the amount of screen space the Hawk consumes. In the first deployment of Arcade flight, the Hawk was often causing large obstructions and resulting in a loss of combat awareness.

MISC. Weapon Updates:
The 1.2.2 update also contains a variety of other weapons updates:

Sniper rifle has received a slight increase in aim assist while in scoped mode and scoped mode *ONLY*. "No-scoping" is still 100% player skill.

The Hawk flares now take longer to recharge in an attempt to help increase the combat effectiveness of missiles while dogfighting. For players new to Starhawk, Flares are deployed by pressing R3 and scrub *ALL* missiles currently locked-on your Hawk.

The range at which Hawk pilots can begin aquiring lock with Swarm Lasers has been increased. In addition, the Swarm Laser targeting box -- the region around the on-screen reticle where locks can occur -- has been slightly increased.

Razorback turrets can now handle far longer periods of sustained fire before over-heating.

The Hawk's off-screen target tracker has been updated to track the designated target for a slighting longer amount of time. For players that are new to Starhawk, the target tracker is the faint circle in the HUD that is drawn on the last aircraft you hit with your Hawk's MG. This will aid you in tracking enemy pilots during intense dogfights. Furthermore, if that pilot flies off-screen, you will see a white arrow point in the direction you need to turn to re-aquire your enemy. However, if your enemy stays out of your view *OR* out of Line-of-Sight for a period of time, you will loose your target tracker and will have to re-engage.

For the pilots:

http://www.lightboxinteractive.com/starhawk-beta-survey-2

Take the survey, LBI is gathering feedback on flight mechanics (please don't bitch about it being hard or challenging or Normal Flight coming back, and please ask for full organic and 'wiggle' based scrubbing method for Pro Flight).

More :

Top 10 tips (new players should READ THIS!):

http://community.us.playstation.com...-for-success-in-the-starhawk-multiplayer-beta

If anybody has made tutorial/educational vids let me know so I could post them here.

fixuis

Got my code as well a couple of hours ago! :)

Will download and play today. Sad to hear that normal flight and erred and spins are button induced, but I guess that's what betas are for, fix the stuff that doesn't work for most people.

Atruvius

Anyone gonna make a GAF share account or is that frowned upon these days? Or does it even work with that?

I played an hour of Warhawk the other day. Don't know if it'll help me in getting a code.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Thrakier said:
Fuck, why didn't I get a code, I put DAYS into warhawk!!!
They're sending them out in waves:

20111123-ri6xas66th8j3qskkkx1ackdja.jpg

Ephemeris

Looking back, the warhawk beta is how I first heard about GAF. Even had their own thread on Sony's boards lol

Hope I get in !

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
uh? You surely mean "HELL YEAH! :D"

On ground shooting was utter crap in Warhawk exactly because of that heavy assist.

The only disappointing thing is the lack of Move support really.

I really enjoyed it. Helped made the game feel different for me as I got really good with it. Plus all the drunk nights of playing warhawk, that assist helps lol.

Jtrizzy

Looking back, the warhawk beta is how I first heard about GAF. Even had their own thread on Sony's boards lol

Hope I get in !

Yeah there was some hack that got me in...forget how it was done, but it was awesome since there wasn't much else to even play on the system at the time.

F-Pina

Played Warhawk for a some time with fellow gaffers.
Would be really cool to enter the beta but I guess there are probably players out there with more hours in the game than me who deserve the honor to play first :)

skipped on warhawk as I missed too much time. got my starhawk code though from uncharted 3 so I'm excited to hear what you guys have to say about it.

Carl

Were codes sent via email or PSN? Crossing fingers & legs.

Some were sent by email, some by PSN.

If you don't have a code, @StarhawkRADIO were giving some out on twitter yesterday. No idea if they still are or not but it's worth a try :)

see5harp

Nice to hear the on ground combat has been tweaked. Shooting and grenade throws in Warhawk on foot were so strange.

Got my code this morn-

Wait, I didn't get anything. I put hundreds of hours into Warhawk and got nothing except hundreds of hours of entertainment in return.

What bullshit. I better get in the second wave.

A.R.K

uh? You surely mean "HELL YEAH! :D"

On ground shooting was utter crap in Warhawk exactly because of that heavy assist.

The only disappointing thing is the lack of Move support really.

Yeah I recently played warhawk again and realized how bad the on ground camera and shooting mechanics were in warhawk compared to the leading TPS games. I hope they have adjusted the camera this time so it plays like a real TPS.

But even then WH was such a fun and brilliant MP game. Looking so forward to SH.

And may be they will add Move support? or they have already said they won't?

rdrr gnr

Watching the videos now. I've been let down with every MP game this year. I'm hoping SH makes up for it early next year.

slider

No code yet. Sigh. : (

I'm intrigued to try out flight. Really intrigued.

Still, params7 and soundahfekz kicked my ass plenty the last time I played WH so maybe it's for the best.

Dylan if you're reading this hit me up with a code. Please.

EDIT: That video looks insane. Cannot wait. I know it'll take me a while to get used to playing this but I'm so keen to try!

matmanx1

Warhawk was one of the two games I bought with my 60GB PS3 back in 2007 (along with Ninja Gaiden Sigma). I spent lots of time in the early days of the game and really enjoyed the core mechanics. I have high hopes for Starhawk.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I feel really stupid, but I never figured out how to get the Hawks off the ground. Outside of that, I think it is pretty fun.

btkadams

wait, so the warhawks don't hover?? they better add that ability. that's an absolute joke if true. the regular warhawk controls in warhawk were perfect imo.

slider

wait, so the warhawks don't hover?? they better add that ability. that's an absolute joke if true. the regular warhawk controls in warhawk were perfect imo.

I think the rationale is that the WHs were over-powered versus practically anything on the ground. I don't feel that's true at all but, sheesh, you come up against a well co-ordinated clan/team and you'll feel it.

I hate to say this but I guess on this particular aspect the game's "dumbed down"!

Warhawks look kind of unstoppable when they transform into mechs. Think this is another game where I would have preferred they expand on/tweak what they already have instead of a complete overhaul that changes core aspects. Hope I get into the beta to find out myself, but I wasn't that impressed with what I saw in the video.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So... did they take out the insane leveling requirements this outing? Is that possible to answer during the phase of the beta? I must know!

Top Bottom