• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition pulled from Beamdog and Apple App Store

Eusis

Baldur's Gate page.

Dear Friends of Baldur's Gate,

We recently removed Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition from sale on Beamdog and the Apple App Store. We've taken this step at our publishing partner's request as we attempt to resolve a number of contractual issues.

Unfortunately, until this matter is resolved, we are unable to release the latest Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition patch or Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Android.

This also prevents the launch of Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition. I sincerely apologize to the series' fans and promise we are working diligently to remedy the situation.

Regards,
Trent Oster
President, Beamdog & Overhaul Games

Lock if old.

elfinke

What a bummer that currently, whatever the contractual problems are, BGIIEE can't be released on iOS. I hope they're able to work it out.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The D&D license reverted back to Wizards of the Coast so whatever deal they had with Atari is moot.

Valnen

The D&D license reverted back to Wizards of the Coast so whatever deal they had with Atari is moot.

God damn it. I cared far more about BG2 EE and now it'll likely never see the light of day. Having BG2 on Steam would have been amazing.

pa22word

Hang on, what? No patches? For the love of god, get your shit straight guys.

Hardly their fault if the owner of the IP (Dungeons and Dragons, Hasbro?) suddenly decides not to play ball.

It's one of the best things about Torment 2 deciding to create their own world instead of being chained down to the DnD ip.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
God damn it. I cared far more about BG2 EE and now it'll likely never see the light of day. Having BG2 on Steam would have been amazing.

The BG enhanced edition was crap, you are *FAR* better off just buying BG2 off GOG (don't give me this 'Buuuutt it iiissssnnnn'tttt steeaaaaaaaaammmmmm' shit, you can cram that up your ass). With a few easy to install mods BG and BG2 have more new features and more new content then the enhanced scam edition ever did.

Giolon

Hm, it's still on Steam.

That's because Atari manages the Steam version and not Beamdog. They said they don't know what will happen with that version.

I never synced with iTunes so unless it comes back, it's gone forever. Digital downloads suck.

It should still be available to download in your purchased apps history on iTunes, either on your device or iTunes on your computer.

Beamdog also days that if you bought the game from them directly, you can still redownload.

This situation is really shitty all around.

Wow, that's terrible news. I was planning on buying EE when more BG II: EE news started to filter out, and the next patch sounded like it was going to be very expansive. I hope this gets resolved. Beamdog seemed like they had a lot of reverence for the BG franchise and had a lot of open dialogue with fans. I disagreed with some of the content additions being default installations, but that's so minor a complaint compared to the good they've done and how much they've listened to the community. This sucks.

The BG enhanced edition was crap, you are *FAR* better off just buying BG2 off GOG (don't give me this 'Buuuutt it iiissssnnnn'tttt steeaaaaaaaaammmmmm' shit, you can cram that up your ass). With a few easy to install mods BG and BG2 have more new features and more new content then the enhanced scam edition ever did.

I don't think the Enhanced edition was "crap", but it does have its fair share of problems. At the same time Beamdog worked very hard to fix those problems and have spoken open with the community about them.

Valnen

I don't want to have to mod the original game, I just want a straight up improved version. And yeah, I wanted it on Steam. If something is available on Steam I'll buy it there over GOG.

I just wanted to say I love this post in so many ways.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
It looked like one of the worst HD remakes in recent history.

I don't want to have to mod the original game, I just want a straight up improved version. And yeah, I wanted it on Steam.

Honestly it's a painless process that takes maybe 10-15 minutes, it's cheaper on gog (especially right now with their summer sale going on), plus if you so choose there are far more mods for vanilla BG than BGEE which breaks compatibility with a number of them, most importantly a lot of restored content-type stuff. From most accounts the new content was rather subpar, and besides maybe the ui there was nothing that couldn't be done with vanilla BG and mods. The only real loss here is the convenience of steam for multiplayer matchmaking, but BG was never really meant for multiplayer (you'd really need to wait for IWD for that) and game ranger is another fairly painless alternative matchmaking service which works with OG BG and most of the modded versions as well.

BGEE was a rather poor value proposition unless you wanted it on iPad for the sake of portability. But then touch screen controls *barf*

Holy shit this sucks. Hopefully they'll (meaning WotC and Beamdog) work out whatever contracts they have to to make this work.

I need BG:2EE ;_;

Qazaq

Banned
I've been itching to replay the Baldur's Gate series. So I almost caved in on the enhanced edition but stopped when i read about the problems.

If I do this GoG version (which I've never heard of before), and follow the steps -- I like how I can play through the entire two games as one. Are BG 2 classes like the Kensai open in BG 1 now?

FACE

Banned

iP0J90Z9XMU1O.gif

I wonder if this affects GOG, too.

Eusis

I wonder if this affects GOG, too.
Games on there are marked with Hasbro as the publisher, they should be fine.

I imagine if Steam still has it than so do other retailers, but with the reputation it has I think I'd rather take my chances and wait for it to be put back up, updated, and to go on sale. Sure don't want it as things currently stand.

Dresden

Yeah, with the plethora of mods out there there was never any point in overpaying for the 'enhanced' editions. Not that I feel good about them facing troubles, but w/e.

Qazaq

Banned
PS if someone can confirm the availability of the BG 2 classes in BG 1, I will totally get the GOG version right now.

Also, it's just been so long -- if I recall, the game can get a bit easy at points just because if you've played through BG 1 into BG 2, you just have so much EXP and ability by the time you start BG 2 that there's not much challenge. Is there any way to keep upping the challenge considering the beast your char is if you play it straight through?

Well that sucks.

Regardless of how the EE turned out, I feel like Oster and those guys tried to do the right thing more often than not, what with patching the game and doing a good job staying in communication with people on their forums.

You can't really fault them for the EE not being true HD or anything when BioWare threw out those assets. Hopefully they can get this stuff sorted out.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
People are saying the OG version of Baldur's Gate is better than the Enhanced Edition... it's better on its own, or does it require mods for that to actually be the case?

Giolon

From the FAQ, this is what really gets me:

What is in the next Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition patch?

The next Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition patch features:

An updated user interface that allows for high-resolution scaling and transparency.
A new renderer featuring enormous performance improvements, and compatibility enhancements for Intel graphics chipsets.
A new font system for sharper, clearer text.
Full German language support, including new German VO for the expanded content.
Subtitles in movies.
Over 135 gameplay fixes and enhancements.
We are unable to release this patch until all issues with our publishing partner have been resolved.

I want all that stuff. I also really enjoyed the new party members that were added.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Honestly it's a painless process that takes maybe 10-15 minutes, it's cheaper on gog

Going to have to echo this as well. Usually if a game is available on Steam I'd rather get it there too, but modding the original game really is easy. Went through the process twice in the past week, took maybe 10-15 minutes each time. (There's only one extra thing I had to do to get rid of slowdown, which took a minute or so, there's a guide in the "GAF Plays: Baldur's Gate Duology thread.")

This guide on GoG tells you what to do, step by step, it's fool proof.

Modding it is the easy part. Figuring out the rest of the game is the hard part.

Pikma

Banned
Is the Steam version also in danger? I won't be able to buy it until July, if that's the case I'm gonna miss out. -_-

Qazaq

Banned
PS if someone can confirm the availability of the BG 2 classes in BG 1, I will totally get the GOG version right now.

Also, it's just been so long -- if I recall, the game can get a bit easy at points just because if you've played through BG 1 into BG 2, you just have so much EXP and ability by the time you start BG 2 that there's not much challenge. Is there any way to keep upping the challenge considering the beast your char is if you play it straight through?

Help me out GAF.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I purchased one game on Beamdog and that's been about it. Never really knew they existed. Good part is, I got Baulder's Gate EE from Steam for around $6.

Wow, Steam version screwed too? Found sites dated 2013. Not sure if anything new is out

Good news for all Steam owners of Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition as Atari has released a new patch that updates it to the latest 2012 build. This update fixes one hell of bugs, improves multiplayer stability, and features various UI improvements. You can view its complete changelog below and, as always, this patch will be auto-downloaded next time you start the Steam client.
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-steam-version-updated-to-build-2012/

It looks like there are some real issues with Beamdog’s Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition which has been pulled from their website and the Apple App store.

Beamdog are citing “contractual issues” as the problem but have not elaborated any further. It does sound quite serious though, they’ve gone as far as to say that these problems will prevent the launch of the Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition.

If you own the game already then you have nothing to worry about and these “issues” will not prevent you from playing in any way.

The full statement in their site reads.

We recently removed Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition from sale on Beamdog and the Apple App Store. We’ve taken this step at our publishing partner’s request as we attempt to resolve a number of contractual issues.

Unfortunately, until this matter is resolved, we are unable to release the latest Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition patch or Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition for Android.

This also prevents the launch of Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition. I sincerely apologize to the series’ fans and promise we are working diligently to remedy the situation.

Regards,
Trent Oster

Oddly enough the game can still be purchased on Steam as of writing. If you want a copy then I suggest you grab it now on Steam pronto.

http://www.incgamers.com/2013/06/be...e-to-contractual-issues-still-available-steam

Great thing I got all these titles on GOG too.

mr_toa

Unfortunately, until this matter is resolved, we are unable to release the latest Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition patch or Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Android.
Nooo ... ahh well gemRB plus the DRM-free versions from GOG will just have to do :)

Qazaq

Banned
Sorry, didn't know where else to put this.

So, I'm playing (well replaying but it's been so long) the first Baldur's Gate and I feel like I've hit a bit of a wall.

Everyone's like level 4 or 5. I got to the Bandit Camp. But I was getting absolutely mauled by Raemon in Tazok's tent, and I'm having trouble with pretty much any enemy party that has multiple people with some mages. It's really causing me trouble. I can't even beat the assassin Molkar's group.

But I feel like I've pretty much done most of the available quests in Nashkel and Beregost. I cleared the entire map of basilisks, but absolutely couldn't take the enemy party that attacks you. Bassilus is obviously too high for me right now, and I don't know what to do.

I refer to it as a wall because it has reached the point where I need too much exp to level from random stray mobs and low level quests, yet I can only beat the Raemon tent by doing the "constant talk" trick, and it just feels cheap.

I just kind of want to go along the game as I sort of should, and considering I feel like I already did most of the available exp options, it's a little strange to feel like I'm still underleveled for where I should be in the game. Raemon isn't just hard, I have no chance at that encounter.

(Something to also know: I'm using some mods that DO make it a bit harder like the Iron Economy one from Gibberlings3, but the difficulty is normal.)

So, any advice?

I'm not against going to seek out those sirens, but it just feels strange that there's this dearth of options all of a sudden and I have to go to the far corners of the world to get to an appropriate level when I've pretty much been doing everything that comes my way.

It took a while, and I know the general GAF sentiment is anti-Enhanced Edition, but Beamdog have cleared up their legal issues...whatever they were. Sounds like the promised patches and Android version should be out quickly from this point.

Beamdog & Overhaul Games said:
Dear Friends of Baldur’s Gate,

We're back!

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is available for sale once again. All outstanding issues with our publishing partner have been resolved.

We'll announce the details of an upcoming major Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition patch and the Android tablet version in the near future. We'll also have some exciting news regarding Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition soon after.

We want to thank our fans for the outpouring of support we received during this difficult time. Legal issues are never fun. We're glad we can once again focus on what matters - makin' videogames!

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for PC

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Mac

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for iPad

Regards,

Trent Oster

Top Bottom