• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Vita is "next gen"

$h@d0w

So, I'm playing Ridge Racer on Vita.

It's a franchise that I like but I was going to give it a pass this time due to the bad vibe it is giving off pre-release. I end up picking it up cheap (around 23 US$) and remind myself RR wasn't always 60fps in the old days. What the hell - why not?

I fire it up, don't have much of an idea what's going on and get my ass whooped by a ghost I selected. I guess I let my racing team down by not getting any team points, but I get credits to upgrade my car. So there's progression win or lose, which is great.

I figure out that I should pick someone on my level. I can browse a range of ghosts who are all fellow players, and choose one that I feel confident with.

Conversely, when I race, the game uploads my ghost. People can pick up my ghost data, see how I'm doing and maybe challenge my time. They can do this over the global ranking or by getting my ghost through near.

This is happening all over the 3G network, anywhere and anytime. To me, it's this that is really amazing.

I really feel strongly that this game delivers a "next gen" handheld experience because all the parts come together incredibly well. A sense of community, rivalry and, for lack of a better word, "connectedness". What it does in terms of an end to end experience, just works. The UI deserves a special mention because it is beautiful. The shame is that the game engine lets it down and the content is lacking at launch.

I've got a feeling that people are going to post here and say welcome to 2011 or something and say Forza or GT did this ghost sharing thing already. But hey, this is the first time in a while portable gaming has had me come away thinking - wow, Ridge Racer just did that.

zoukka

I wake up each morning with a batch of new ghosts for Mario Kart on my 3DS. That and drawings of penises.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
There's definitely slow down and it seems like a based-Scamco ripoff but I read people like the game for what it is.

I wake up each morning with a batch of new ghosts for Mario Kart on my 3DS. That and drawings of penises.
'next gen' started with the 3DS. PSVita is the same gen as 3DS even though it's a fair bit more powerful, so OP is right and Mario Kart 7 is also 'next gen'.

I fire it up, don't have much of an idea what's going on and get my ass whooped by a ghost I selected. I guess I let my racing team down by not getting any team points, but I get credits to upgrade my car. So there's progression win or lose, which is great.

actually, doesn't sound great at all. Sounds like they opted for grinding for parts over balanced gameplay.

You're impressed by ghost sharing?

Other games on other handhelds have done it before, let alone the examples you mentioned (Forza etc). The only novel thing really is 3G/NEAR... which is very nice, but something already easily approximated by things like streetpass/spotpass or wifi tethering on other handhelds.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ridge Racer Vita was worth it though. The 3DS game looks like ass in screens, but there's a core gameplay and fluidity to it that makes it really nice to control and play. The Vita game looks like a better effort (although still a cheap scamco effort).

SmokyDave

You're impressed by ghost sharing?

Other games on other handhelds have done it before, let alone the examples you mentioned (Forza etc). The only novel thing really is 3G/NEAR... which is very nice, but something already easily approximated by things like streetpass/spotpass or wifi tethering on other handhelds.

It wouldn't surprise me if Ridge Racer Vita was worth it though. The 3DS game looks like ass in screens, but there's a core gameplay and fluidity to it that makes it really nice to control and play. The Vita game looks like a better effort (although still a cheap scamco effort).

Fluidity?!

We aren't playing the same Ridge Racer 3D, that's for sure.

SmokyDave

You're thinking of slowdown etc. I'm talking about controls, the controls and drifting feel very slick.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I agree with you about the controls, that's what makes the spotty framerate so annoying. There's a good amount of content, nice controls and the 3D effect is genuinely cool but that framerate ruins it all for me :(

I really want that dubstep visualiser thing that was shown off on Vita.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You're thinking of slowdown etc. I'm talking about controls, the controls and drifting feel very slick.

Vita version feels the same. even the slowdown in corners (WTF) doesn't feel too bad as you don't feel like you lose control.

And while ghost shares have been done before, there is something in the Vita version that feels different. Maybe its the idea that you pick a team and your wins/losses go towards how well your team is doing globally. Not exactly an MMORPG, but you get a sense of contributing towards something bigger.

Still a lot could be done - hopefully when its released over here they make the DLC available more quickly (or include it), and fingers crossed they at least patch out the slowdown.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I agree with you about the controls, that's what makes the spotty framerate so annoying. There's a good amount of content, nice controls and the 3D effect is genuinely cool but that framerate ruins it all for me :(

I really want that dubstep visualiser thing that was shown off on Vita.

It's available as a free download on the JP psn store.

SmokyDave

°°ToMmY°°;33955015 said:
It's available as a free download on the JP psn store.

:O

Fingers crossed it will hit EU PSN too.

Vita version feels the same. even the slowdown in corners (WTF) doesn't feel too bad as you don't feel like you lose control.
This news is utterly infuriating :(

As an aside, are you having any issues with the imported Vita? I thought I could wait but I've been hammering my PSP lately and now I'm jonesing for the replacement.

I've got a feeling that people are going to post here and say welcome to 2011 or something and say Forza or GT did this ghost sharing thing already. But hey, this is the first time in a while portable gaming has had me come away thinking - wow, Ridge Racer just did that.

Yeah, as already mentioned, Mario Kart 7.

More tracks and vehicles too.

As an aside, are you having any issues with the imported Vita? I thought I could wait but I've been hammering my PSP lately and now I'm jonesing for the replacement.

No issues here with the Vita, Dave. Been really enjoying running through Uncharted, which is a great little sidestory to the franchise. No issues with the hardware, everything smooth as a nut.

SmokyDave

No issues here with the Vita, Dave. Been really enjoying running through Uncharted, which is a great little sidestory to the franchise. No issues with the hardware, everything smooth as a nut.

Sounds like good stuff. I don't think I can hold out much longer but I was worried about regional account tomfoolery. I really ought to go and read the Vita Launch thread more extensively!

It works across accounts too.
You little beauty!

(Sincere apologies for the derail).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
mrklaw said:
I wish they just did a HD-port of RR2 instead.
I'd have paid full-price for that over the current version, and they could still add-on the new MMO mode as DLC if they wanted to.

$h@d0w

Okay, so let's break down the features of Ridge Racer Vita:

• Ghost sharing
  • 3 courses
  • 5 cars
  • 6 music tracks

You can look at it this way and just write off the game.

I see it differently. The game is much more than the sum of it's parts and that's what impressed me. They took concept of sharing ghosts and put it center stage through the team challenge system. They exploited features of the hardware to make it work. I really couldn't imagine playing this game offline.

$h@d0w

To comment on the slowdown, it's detracting but not game breaking for me. If you like your racing games locked at a smooth framerate, you should look elsewhere.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sounds like good stuff. I don't think I can hold out much longer but I was worried about regional account tomfoolery. I really ought to go and read the Vita Launch thread more extensively!

You little beauty!

(Sincere apologies for the derail).

the region tomfoolery will be the same on the UK version anyway. You really need to pick a PSN account you're happy with, and stick with it.

Only major thing to bear in mind is that Sony games seem to have online passes. So if you buy a UK retail card, you won't be able to go online if you have a non-UK PSN account.

My main PSN account is US based, but I'm thinking to use my UK one for Vita to avoid that kind of stuff.

itsgreen

Okay, so let's break down the features of Ridge Racer Vita:

• Ghost sharing
  • 3 courses
  • 5 cars
  • 6 music tracks

You can look at it this way and just write off the game.

I see it differently. The game is much more than the sum of it's parts and that's what impressed me. They took concept of sharing ghosts and put it center stage through the team challenge system. They exploited features of the hardware to make it work. I really couldn't imagine playing this game offline.

Paul, is it you? Do you work for Namco now?

Although I agree that a game is more than the sum of its parts, the sum comes down to a pretty low figure... They are just phoning it in...

yurinka

He was talking about using 3G.
In PSP games like Wipeout you were able to play online (without friend codes), share your customized textures for the ships, and use the ghosts stuff. You were able to play online in DS too.

Anyways, this time is a bit different. You pick a team and your wins/losses go towards how well your team is doing globally.

As an aside, anyone with a relatively modern HTC phone should use the HTC Portable Hotspot feature to get online with their 3DS using 3G. I do it all the time in work :p

I'm sure there are Samsung / iPhone / other phone equivalent wifi tethering apps. Only downside is that you're draining the battery on two pieces of equipment rather than one.

He was talking about using 3G.
In PSP games like Wipeout you were able to play online (without friend codes), share your customized textures for the ships, and use the ghosts stuff. You were able to play online in DS too.

The point is it does all the sharing in the background. You don't have to do anything; you get new ghosts to race against basically every time you start the game.

You also don't need friend codes either (not that you ever 'needed' them to play online anyway unless it's Pokemon or Animal Crossing).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
radioheadrule83 said:
I'm sure there are Samsung / iPhone / other phone equivalent wifi tethering apps. Only downside is that you're draining the battery on two pieces of equipment rather than one.
Actually this is a feature 3DS has over the WiFi Vita.
It will drain its own battery as fast as the phone drains his while providing the 3G feed, so both devices will die roughly together.
On Vita on the other hand, you'll end up with an empty phone and Vita barely scratching its own battery. :p

(I may exaggerate a bit - but I've seen this in person today, and iPhone drained its battery several times faster then Vita while doing this).

Actually this is a feature 3DS has over the WiFi Vita.
It will drain its own battery as fast as the phone drains his while providing the 3G feed, so both devices will die roughly together.
On Vita on the other hand, you'll end up with an empty phone and Vita barely scratching its own battery. :p

(I may exaggerate a bit - but I've seen this in person today, and iPhone drained its battery several times faster then Vita while doing this).

I work for about 6-7 hours a night and my phone will easily be half flat by my first break due to 3G internet, I wish for the day where batteries get a huge improvement.

$h@d0w

Paul, is it you? Do you work for Namco now?

Although I agree that a game is more than the sum of its parts, the sum comes down to a pretty low figure... They are just phoning it in...

I am not employed by Namco or Cellius.

Let's get this straight: I think it's an excellently designed handheld game. They made something worth my time. However, more work is clearly needed on the implementation because on many points it misses the mark.

Septimius

Let's get this straight: I think it's an excellently designed handheld game. They made something worth my time. However, more work is clearly needed on the implementation because on many points it misses the mark.

Now I'm sure you're just a marketer.

Anyway, I like this to a certain extent, but I have yet to care for multiplaying over 3G. Luckily, I won't ever have to buy a 3G Vita or any future device, because I'll just share the 3G my iPhone receives.

As an aside, anyone with a relatively modern HTC phone should use the HTC Portable Hotspot feature to get online with their 3DS using 3G. I do it all the time in work :p

Wow I never though of it that way, I only tried personal hotspot once on iPhone and never used it again. But now I can use it with Vita/3DS on the go since my iPhone is always with me, I don't have to spend extra 50$ for 3G version plus additional sim card.

SmokyDave

Don't feel bad because you enjoyed a cool feature. These lot are just grumpy, that's all.

I like it when I arrive at the Missus', where there is no wireless and yet my 3DS has downloaded new content via Spotpass whilst I was walking around. I'm not going to argue that feature is groundbreaking but it certainly helped my 3DS feel 'new'.

Top Bottom