• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Jedi is the cover of EW's Fall Movie Preview (light spoilers)

And, naturally, that means a bunch of exclusive online articles and photos.

j6AKPTa.jpg
ASNlTAX.jpg

Slideshow with a mix of old and new images (the latter of which are posted below).

6vAimnc.jpg

fMhudjl.jpg

nGPzl26.jpg

ttI9Z9A.jpg

QeY8HjR.jpg

KYQx1p1.jpg

Part One of the cover story: Can Rey save Luke Skywalker from his own darkness?

5K7Qxkh.gif

Perhaps the only thing more unsettling than meeting your enemy is coming face-to-face with your hero.

That's where the Star Wars saga left us at the end of The Force Awakens, with Daisy Ridley's Rey standing atop a craggy, windswept island, holding out Luke Skywalker's long-lost family lightsaber to the man she knew only as a legend. But in The Last Jedi, she actually has much further to go to find the warrior who inspired all those old stories.

This isn't the Luke she's heard about. It's not the one we know either.

This is a broken man. One who would have preferred to stay lost. And he feels the same way about that lightsaber.

Part Two: With Finn and Rose, a 'big deal' is redeemed by 'a nobody'

We've already seen John Boyega's conscience-stricken Stormtrooper try to escape from a life of wrongdoing. In The Last Jedi, Finn finds himself ready to abandon the good guys, too.

You can't blame him. He has been critically wounded by a lightsaber attack that still burns and has never quite healed. He watched Han Solo, another reluctant hero, die horribly at the hands of his own son.

Finn did his part. Starkiller base has been destroyed. Now he wants out.

Part Three: Meet the porgs and 'The Caretakers' from Luke Skywalker's island

Part Four: Supreme Leader Snoke emerges with elite Praetorian Guard
In The Last Jedi, Kylo Ren will venture to the side of one of his malevolent icons, and fans will finally get their wish to see the enigmatic tyrant in the flesh.

Supreme Leader Snoke only appeared in The Force Awakens via hologram, but in the new film out Dec. 15, the towering character (performed via motion-capture by Andy Serkis) will finally emerge from hiding.

These will be his protectors – the Praetorian Guard, a variation on the crimson-cloaked Imperial guards who flanked the Emperor in Return of the Jedi.

Part Five: In her final role, Carrie Fisher restores hope for Leia Organa
After Carrie Fisher's unexpected death in December, The Last Jedi will mark her final performance as Leia Organa — the Star Wars character who went from orphan to princess, to spy, to senator, and finally general of the Resistance.

She remains a light that will never go out in the galaxy.

”Her character to some degree or another has been defined by loss through this whole saga, starting with the loss of her home planet. She's just taken hit after hit, and she's borne it, and she focuses on moving forward and the task at hand," says writer-director Rian Johnson.

Part Six: New details on Benicio Del Toro's devious character
All we know for sure is that Del Toro plays a man who goes by the name ”DJ." And his shabby appearance suggests someone familiar with the underbelly of the galaxy.

As part of EW's cover story about The Last Jedi, Lucasfilm has revealed a little more.

Here's the official one-liner on him: ”DJ is an enigmatic figure whose tattered, threadbare clothes and lackadaisical attitude conceal a sharp mind and expert skills."

Part Seven: Rey takes her first steps toward uncovering her family history
Rey's family has become the ”Rosebud" of Star Wars: Who are they? What's their significance? How will that revelation shape her destiny?

The mystery was introduced in The Force Awakens when Daisy Ridley's desert scavenger touched the ancestral Skywalker lightsaber and saw a series of visions, including a starship abandoning a much younger version of herself on the junkyard world of Jakku.

Now, The Last Jedi will finally resolve the question that fans have been debating for two years.

Part Eight: Kylo Ren's humiliation — and other tales from the Star Wars dark side
As we close out EW's cover story on The Last Jedi, let's take a trip into the dark side of the galaxy.

Most of the previous stories have focused on the heroes of the Star Wars saga and the new film's theme about the risks and rewards of meeting those you idolize.

Here's a look at some of the villains, and a tease of what to expect from them when the film opens on Dec. 15.

Afrocious

Kylo is losing the helmet. It's such a cool helmet too. I enjoyed cosplaying as him.

Good thing I got rid of the robes.

Sephzilla

Kylo is losing the helmet. It's such a cool helmet too. I enjoyed cosplaying as him.

Good thing I got rid of the robes.

The upside is you're less likely to overheat cosplaying as him now since there's fewer layers.

I cosplayed Kylo Ren a couple of times and pretty much baked inside that outfit. It was easier to cool off in my god damn Vader outfit

TheXbox

Some interesting comments from Breznican in the video. Early in the film, Luke pushes Rey away; his exile was deliberate and he feels as though he doesn't belong in this new conflict.

Also this:
When Daisy Ridley's Rey heard stories of Mark Hamill's farmboy-turned-Jedi, she expected to discover the warrior we remember from the original trilogy. Instead, she finds a man overpowered by regret, eager to close the book on his past while living out the rest of his days on an isolated island.

Surfinn

Rey's new look is constantly growing on me.

Everything about this film..

I've got a good feeling about this

Top Bottom