• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk |OT| Not Quite Warhawk, Yet Not Quite Like Anything Else

This man:

ulsv3.jpg

Dylan Jobe

Directed this game:

wZXrt.jpg

In 2007, released in an age when multiplayer games were shifting to "gritty" and "visceral" first person shooters that featured perks, boosters, rank-based loadouts and more balance breaking goodies, Warhawk was, perhaps, the last of its kind with an arcadey feel and easy to pick up, beneficial to master mechanic. Seeing moderate success and nearly unrivaled support from its developers, it was no wonder Warhawk became many gamers' favorite multiplayer experience this generation.

Fast forward to today where Call of Duty reigns with a linear, hand holding single player experience and unbalanced, carrot on a stick multiplayer...

This man:

ulsv3.jpg

Dylan Jobe

Created this company:
v1sYD.png

Which developed this game:

8SH2q.jpg

On May 8th, 2012 (May 11th for EU), Starhawk is set to release with a unique hybrid gameplay mechanic. Part RTS, part castle defense, all shooter - this game breaks away from the norm people expect with modern day videogames.

Linearity? No. The gameplay doesn't revolve around corridors and killrooms to provide its action. There are no waist-high walls with weapons scattered to give away the fact that you'll be in a shootout at any moment. Instead, your assets, armament, cover, vehicles and resources are provided by YOU! That's right. Using what is called the "Build and Battle" system (BnB), you can drop sniper towers, bunkers, vehicle garages, walls, turrets etc from the sky wherever and whatever you need depending on the incoming opposition.

Also, the vistas in the game are more than pretty sights in the distance. You can ride or fly to your destination in all directions in a plethora of vehicles. They include:

The Vulture Jetpack:
e6EUq.jpg

The Sidewinder Jetbike:

hY6qy.jpg

The Razorback:

KPDt6.jpg

The Ox Heavy Tank:

toP2Q.jpg

and The Hawk:

uCBYM.jpg

Which transforms into this!:

nLbdr.jpg

While this may not be the run-of-the-mill OT some of you are used to, neither is this game compared to what many expect. Judging from the lack of interest from fellow Gaffers, it's easy to see that either the beta soured tastes or that some of you are fickle. When posters cry for change, new IPs, wanting less linearity and overall originality, Starhawk breaks those conventions offering an open, and engaging experience unmatched by anything on the market. It's not like Warhawk, that's a given. But this isn't Warhawk 2. This is a new IP with the Ride and Flight essence of Warhawk with the BnB system added to offer original, open-ended gameplay both in singleplayer and multiplayer form.

Those soured from the beta should keep an eye and ear out. The game offers a single player experience that can give you the gameplay you want without the BS you've encountered from the public. Even better is a 2-player splitscreen or 4-player online Co-Op experience that will likely offer the most entertaining battles against waves of randomized enemy encounters. Each wave will have you and your team on your toes as you figure out how best to defend or attack the invading enemies.

Trailers:
-Starhawk Launch Trailer
-The Weight of Battle story trailer
-Ride, Drive and Fly vehicle showcase
-Over 6 minutes of footage and behind the scenes of making the music

Reviews
Review thread:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=473157&highlight=starhawk+review+thread

Recent Previews:
http://www.made2game.com/articles/Features/Sony/26525/Seven-things-you-need-to-know-about-Starhawk/
" There simply isn’t anything in the shooter market that allows you to do the things Starhawk allows – not simply calling on vehicles to add layers of new tactics to a ground fight, but able to build bases from which to coordinate attacks, too."

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/04/27/hands-on-starhawks-single-player-campaign-ps3/
"...Sod it, who are they trying to kid, it’s Firefly, right down to the ‘Cowboys in space’ theme and the excellent twangy guitar music that strikes up in the quieter moments. There is another quality Starhawk shares with Firefly – it’s brilliant."

http://www.nowgamer.com/ps3/ps3-pre...r_campaign_the_firefly_of_scifi_shooters.html
"Starhawk is a risky prospect, given how often developers fail at blending multiple genres into one seamless experience. It’s a juggling act that all too many studios find hard to grasp, but Starhawk’s closely guarded single player campaign is proof that it can be done properly.

Throughout the Starhawk campaign, developers LightBox Interactive and Santa Monica Studio flirt with mech battles, third person shooting, tower defence and flight combat so effortlessly that it’s difficult to lose interest along the way."

Thanks to Loudninja for finding these previews and detailing them here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471521

Pre-order bonuses: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/05/02/pre-order-starhawk-for-lots-of-free-stuff/
*NA - Gamestop:

pre-order upgrades your order to the limited edition which includes:

-Echo Scrapyard Rifter Pack: Includes the Scrapyard Homeworld and Huxley Ardin multiplayer skin
-Maw Of Despair Outcast Pack: Includes the Maw Of Despair co-op map and a Shade Warrior multiplayer skin
-Official Starhawk soundtrack: Download and enjoy this rousing sountrack, composed by Christopher Lennertz
-Starhawk concept art PlayStation 3 theme: Bring your PlayStation 3 XMB menu to life with this special Starhawk concept art theme

*UK- Play.com and hmv:
Receive a code for the above bonuses when you pre-order.

Thanks to sometimes for the UK info.
Get some gifs up in here dawg

ib5KcKhO59WP1.gif

ibrZO92jzV7tLO.gif
3 gifs from the beta :D

iSha6uE6GxDmF.gif

ihy1YxpRI50yp.gif

iouwtbZ9IXDpq.gif

*Relevant info will come when I find it*

Clockwork

I just want a true sequel to the original Warhawk.

As far as Starhawk goes, I played for about an hour and never touched it again. It's been months since I have played Warhawk on the PS3.

namDa65

The multiplayer was quite fun. Crashed a bit because it was a beta I figured. pre-ordered, everyone buy this game!

More interested in the SP due to the build and battle, tower defense elements and lack of linearity.

Seriously! How can this aspect of the game not be exciting? Forget the beta if it turned you off. The actual BnB system will make the SP and Co-Op shine. It'd be a unique experience every time you boot it up.

In 2007, released in an age when multiplayer games were shifting to "gritty" and "visceral" first person shooters that featured perks, boosters, rank-based loadouts and more balance breaking goodies, Warhawk was, perhaps, the last of its kind with an arcadey feel and easy to pick up, beneficial to master mechanic. Seeing moderate success and nearly unrivaled support from its developers, it was no wonder Warhawk became many gamers' favorite multiplayer experience this generation.
Sad truth. I was hoping Starhawk would bring another but nope, it went with the grit and perks.

Still a pretty fun game though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fuck... is it really out this soon? I had no idea :( Will definitely buy later on... but right now I really don't have time for such an addicting game.

.la1n

Really enjoyed the beta towards the end and the single player seems really compelling. If I can clear out some backlog I think I may be a day 1 on this. I still have Warhawk to play when I need that fix, this is something different but great in it's own way. I think it looks visually fantastic as well.

So Warhawk was a MP game and Starhawk is a SP game. Gotcha.

Only if the MP isn't for you. There's the SP campaign and Co-op. And I'm sure there have been tweaks to the MP to better facilitate the game's mechanics or more will come down the line.

But again, it can still be enjoyed without it.

Sad truth. I was hoping Starhawk would bring another but nope, it went with the grit and perks.

Still a pretty fun game though.

I don't feel that either descriptor accurately suites this game. It's gritty in a galactic western style. And the perks are hardly gamebreaking.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Unless it's changed from the beta: There's a 32 item build limit. FOR ALL PLAYERS ON THE TEAM. This means, you're working AGAINST stupid teammates to expand bases with a spawn area outside the initial area and building walls and defenses between both bases. CTF gameplay was AWFUL because of this because no matter how much I tried to expand and hold an area for my team to move through, I couldn't do that.

The concept is neat, but the beta just showed in practice it isn't good. Unless they've tweaked it a ton from beta to now, it's safely skippable. And no, the singleplayer doesn't make it worth $60, I'm sorry.

theBishop

Banned
Why not? I never tried the beta...does the game look pretty?

The RTS stuff is the 2nd best part of the game after the revised 3rd person controls. The feel of the game is far closer to Gears/Uncharted compared to Warhawk's unrefined controls.

The graphics are upgraded from Warhawk, although there are similarities. Starhawk is not in the top 10 prettiest games, but it's attractive.

Dylan

I had fun with the beta but I hate hate HATED the building mechanic. Just let me jump into shit like Unreal Tournament.

I had fun with the beta but I hate hate HATED the building mechanic. Just let me jump into shit like Unreal Tournament.
Something in my gut tells me we'll see this happen. The beta divided a lot of us because of that element. I was on the negative side.

I'm sure something is in the works that offers a pure, warhawk-like experience without BnB or with limited BnB to attract those disinterested in the core game.

Actually, they have to if they want stronger word of mouth.

V_Ben

Banned
Something in my gut tells me we'll see this happen. The beta divided a lot of us because of that element. I was on the negative side.

I'm sure something is in the works that offers a pure, warhawk-like experience without BnB or with limited BnB to attract those disinterested in the core game.

Actually, they have to if they want stronger word of mouth.

I wouldn't be surprised if the game got a mode patched in to it to have matches start with all buildings pre built, and BnB for turrets only.

I wouldn't be surprised if the game got a mode patched in to it to have matches start with all buildings pre built, and BnB for turrets only.
Yeah. Just make it unranked, exhibition for beginners and those looking for an old school experience and have the BnB enabled modes be ranked and yadda.

I'd have no problem sacrificing xp for purer gameplay. But also, having the option means I'd play the regular game as well knowing that if ever I get frustrated with it, I have no-BnB to fall back on.

Himself

I played the Beta and had some interesting enough matches. I thought the Build mechanics were actually pretty cool, it's just the other stuff that left me kind of flat. Simply put, I'm completely tired of third-person shooters. Earlier in the gen. I would have been all over this and if there were more vehicular combat I might be more interested. I'll wait and see what GAF consensus and word of mouth turns out to be.

What I REALLY want is a true sequel to the original Warhawk. That game rules forever.

Carl

Didn't realise this was out so soon.

Loved the hell out of Warhawk so i guess i have to pick this up, right? :p

Himself

The PS1 one. If I'm remembering correctly, you piloted the same ship in every level, the flying/combat was great, and the level design was varied/cool. I replayed it a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The possibilities of a next generation version of that blows my mind. Running around as th pilot with a gun just isn't nearly as exciting as piloting a hawk and it seems like that's what the majority of the time was spent doing in the Beta. I lso didn't feel the levels offered enough space or incentive to really get into a hawk. Are there larger maps?
Is the SP player of Starhawk supposed ot have an almost Halo-esque pseudo sandbox approach to it's combat/level design? I'm very on the fence about this one at the moment as I'm really not feeling MP shooting games.

The PS1 one. If I'm remembering correctly, you piloted the same ship in every level, the flying/combat was great, and the level design was varied/cool. I replayed it a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The possibilities of a next generation version of that blows my mind. Running around as th pilot with a gun just isn't nearly as exciting as piloting a hawk and it seems like that's what the majority of the time was spent doing in the Beta. I lso didn't feel the levels offered enough space or incentive to really get into a hawk. Are there larger maps?
Is the SP player of Starhawk supposed ot have an almost Halo-esque pseudo sandbox approach to it's combat/level design? I'm very on the fence about this one at the moment as I'm really not feeling MP shooting games.

The SP is very open and sandboxy. You summon bunkers and walls and supplies and vehicles from the sky placed anywhere you need (including on top of your enemies).

And yes, there are bigger maps. Also, the SP and Co-Op will offer the same open gameplay as the MP.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wonderful gifs!

Raoh

Is gamestop still the best place to pre-order?

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/starhawk-gamestop-exclusive-limited-edition/91062

Bonus!

Starhawk GameStop Exclusive Limited Edition

• Maw of Despair Outcast Pack
  • Echo Scrapyard Rifter Pack
  • Starhawk Concept Art PS3 Theme
  • Digital Copy of the Original Warhawk (PSone)
  • Official Starhawk Soundtrack

Pre-order and get upgraded to the GameStop exclusive Limited Edition* with over $20 of bonus content. Includes a new co-op map, multiplayer skins, PS3 theme, original Warhawk and more. *While Supplies Last!

Starhawk Limited Edition Contents:

Maw of Despair Outcast Pack
Includes the Maw of Despair Co-op Map and Shade Warrior MP Skin

This challenging Co-Op Mission takes place deep beneath the planetary surface at a Rift Mine known as the Maw of Despair, the most dangerous Rift Mine on the planet Dust and home to the oldest Outcast Tribe - the Shade Warriors. With each Shade Warrior having a heart of pure Rift Energy along with enhanced Toughness and Combat Skill, players will experience fire-fights in the Maw of Despair Co-Op Mission that will be the true test of their shooter skill.

Echo Scrapyard Rifter Pack
Includes the Scrapyard Homeworld and Huxley Ardin MP Skin

An exclusive player Homeworld, the Echo Scrapyard features Huxley's mechanics shop and junkyard known throughout the Frontier as THE best place in the Frontier for Rifters to get spare parts for their Razorbacks and Sidewinders. And in the canyon basin below Huxley's shop is a network of roads and trails for players to hone their own Razorback 4x4 and Sidewinder Jetbike driving skills.

Starhawk Concept Art PS3 Theme
Decorate your PS3 with the amazing concept art that help bring the Starhawk Universe to life. Only available through the Starhawk Limited Edition.

Copy of the Original Warhawk (PSone)
Download and play the title that started it all!

Official Starhawk Soundtrack
Listen to this amazing soundtrack composed by Christopher Lennertz

I'm not sure if I will get this or not. If not I will get it when its cheaper. I need to look at more videos since I only have around $250 to spend before Wii U comes out since I'm putting $600 towards that and I already have a 140$ planned.

Looks really interesting, the build machanic sounds cool but I am not good at strategy games like that so I wouldn'nt know how good I would be online. If it has a lengthy single player I might go for it later. I played Warhawk probably more than any other PS3 game but since then I have gravitated to playing online games more on portables than on consoles. I usually don't have to stick to long loading times/bootups on my 3DS. But Warhawk was so fun...

Either way at the longest, Q1 2013 you'll see me online in this game. Yep, deffiantly plan to get it by then. Online community will probably dead by then but whatever.

Sorry for random ramblings.

I was enjoying the beta, but I really did not care for the desert map (Dust, I think?). Still, I will probably get this game.

I believe so. Haven't really searched to see if their "exclusive" claim was accurate, though.

and I agree with theBishop. Treat this like a new game that features unique ideas.

It still saddens me how people bowed at the feet of Cliffy B. for is comments about games becoming too focused on being linear experiences and wanting to open them up a bit. Lightbox does exactly that and... their game is ignored in favor of bitching about the norm in other threads. I don't get it.

I know I know. "It's not Warhawk, though".

Himself

The SP is very open and sandboxy. You summon bunkers and walls and supplies and vehicles from the sky placed anywhere you need (including on top of your enemies).

And yes, there are bigger maps. Also, the SP and Co-Op will offer the same open gameplay as the MP.

Cool.

Playing online alone was pretty uneventful but with 3 friends it was a pretty amazing level of teamwork. If you have a good set of people you can play with the game I think you will consistently have a excellent time. Unfortunately I'm not sure if thats going to be possible going in solo.

depward

Will be interested in hearing impressions. Admittedly, I loved Warhawk... played the Starhawk beta and didn't really like it. Couldn't truly put my finger on it, but I'd guess it's because I gave a strong dislike for RTS and tower defense games.

I was a HUGE fan of Warhawk (put hundreds of hours into it), but Starhawk just didn't grab me like Warhawk did. Just not my cup of tea I suppose. In any case, I hope the game is really successful, and if Warhawk is anything to go by players can expect an amazing amount of post-release support, so major props to Lightbox.

Top Bottom