• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/28 - 5/4

batbeg

Paracelsus said:
Ok, then scratch what I said. I still expect better numbers in EU than NA though.

I might've been totally wrong actually. I know it sold 170k in Europe, and could have sworn I'd seen numbers showing the US at over 200k, but I can't find them now and may have imagined the whole thing.

But yes, I can understand Valkyria doing better in Europe, especially with the mythical "Sonyland" moniker.

cvxfreak

Cheesemeister said:
cvx, please check your PMs.

Inside-Games posted the list 7 hours later than usual, long after I'd given up and gone to sleep. =(

Done.

We can thank the holidays for the delay.

Paracelsus

jarrod said:
Define "reign".

Hardware.

In terms of software sales, we had PC Engine and Saturn putting in rather impressive performances as secondary machines.

Other times. Saturn had not the same "dark hype" surrounding PS3 and Japanese gamers were not tired of the "same stuff". Heck, at that time it was not even "same", it was new.

Seriously, I do not know if Japanese gamers would have preferred PS3 to Wii if Sony had released the console together with a strong launch line up like FFXIIIMGS4GT5. I'm not sure it's just a matter of software anymore.

jarrod

Banned
Paracelsus said:
Hardware.
Well, no then... we've never had a secondary machine that ever managed more than 20% marketshare historically. Same for Europe actually though, bar the SNES/MD split.

Paracelsus said:
Other times. Saturn had not the same "dark hype" surrounding PS3 and Japanese gamers were not tired of the "same stuff". Heck, at that time it was not even "same", it was new.
Saturn (and PC Engine actually) sold largely off it's arcade heritage. It was considered the "hardcore" platform, but there wasn't really much that was "new" besides the shift to 3D.

I actually see both HD machines as having a somewhat similar positioning in ways, though this angle hasn't really worked post-Saturn... DC came close, but the appeal of arcade style gaming sort of died. :/

Paracelsus said:
Seriously, I do not know if Japanese gamers would have preferred PS3 to Wii if Sony had released the console together with a strong launch line up like FFXIIIMGS4GT5. I'm not sure it's just a matter of software anymore.
Well, yeah... Japan wants largely something else now. Actually the world at large does to a degree going by sales so far...

m3k

jarrod said:
Well, no then... we've never had a secondary machine that ever managed more than 20% marketshare historically. Same for Europe actually though, bar the SNES/MD split.

Saturn (and PC Engine actually) sold largely off it's arcade heritage. It was considered the "hardcore" platform, but there wasn't really much that was "new" besides the shift to 3D.

I actually see both HD machines as having a somewhat similar positioning in ways, though this angle hasn't really worked post-Saturn... DC came close, but the appeal of arcade style gaming sort of died. :/

Well, yeah... Japan wants largely something else now. Actually the world at large does to a degree going by sales so far...

apart from agreeing with all of your post... the bolded part will always make me sad :(

linsivvi

Kipe said:
It's kind of fucked up seeing companies pour stacks of money on games like Valkyria and Yakuza and watching them get buried by games that cost only a fraction of their budget.

It's called user base difference. How do you expect these two games to outsell games on a platform more than 10 times of their user base? And yet Valkyria has a high LTD than the Fossil Diggers.

The only thing fucked up is Sony's marketing and the launch price of the PS3. Yakuza 1&2 didn't get buried when they were released for the PS2. In fact, the only place it was buried was when released in NA (with bad dub).

jarrod

Banned
m3k said:
apart from agreeing with all of your post... the bolded part will always make me sad :(
Yeah, it sucks... though actually, Wii Sports/Play/Fit are sort of subversively arcadey in their designs. Maybe it's just the old hardlined supercomplex molds of traditional arcade games (fighters, racers, shmups) that've died out, not the core principles themselves?

Puzzle games still seem popular as always and gunners are making a mini-comeback on Lindbergh/Wii.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
th_bowgun.jpg

lol nice design

Jeff-DSA

I'm really happy to see Mario Kart doing so well. I think it was unfairly treated by the media here. It's a ton of fun online and I really dig the new tracks. I even think the single player is every bit as good as I was expecting. It's definitely an 8/10 game (or better).

m3k

jarrod said:
Yeah, it sucks... though actually, Wii Sports/Play/Fit are sort of subversively arcadey in their designs. Maybe it's just the old hardlined supercomplex molds of traditional arcade games (fighters, racers, shmups) that've died out, not the core principles themselves?

Puzzle games still seem popular as always and gunners are making a mini-comeback on Lindbergh/Wii.

true i guess,
people are saying fighters are making a come back as well... but i think you would have to wait until the end of the year to see how popular the new releases are going to be

street fighter 4 seems to be the only one that would get old gamers out of the woodworks to play... people have been waiting for a sequel for like 8 years now :lol

slaughterking said:
The usual Famitsu numbers:

01. PSP - 88.000
02. WII - 66.000
03. DSL - 46.000
04. PS3 - 11.000
05. PS2 - 9.300
06. 360 - 2.100

Man PSP really is on a roll. It's a shame that software isn't performing nearly as well.

Nice hardware bump for Wii.

Jammy

Banned
Great continued successes for all of the top five games really. Mario Kart Wii and Monster Hunter Portable 2 G are beasts. Oh, and Wii Fit will surpass 2 million next week with Wii Sports closing in on 3 million.

Laguna

Banned
Alkaline said:
Man PSP really is on a roll. It's a shame that software isn't performing nearly as well.

At least there is a non-game by Sony charting besides Capcoms MH. Serious question. what games did Sony release this year besides this and Echochrome?

jarrod

Banned
m3k said:
true i guess,
people are saying fighters are making a come back as well... but i think you would have to wait until the end of the year to see how popular the new releases are going to be

street fighter 4 seems to be the only one that would get old gamers out of the woodworks to play... people have been waiting for a sequel for like 8 years now :lol
Yeah, forgot about SF4... there's some good buzz around KOFXII, Blazblue and Battle Fantasia too, so we may be seeing something of a revival for 2D/2.5D fighters (with a strong doujin scene on the lower end). SF4 might be really huge though imo, it's getting a great response so far and it's back tobasics design has a lot of potential appeal to the 5m+ people who played/bought SF2 in the 1990s.

I think SC4 and T6 are going to follow VF5's lead though and dissapoint... nobody really seems to want complex 3D fighters anymore. :/

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
batbeg said:
I might've been totally wrong actually. I know it sold 170k in Europe, and could have sworn I'd seen numbers showing the US at over 200k, but I can't find them now and may have imagined the whole thing.

But yes, I can understand Valkyria doing better in Europe, especially with the mythical "Sonyland" moniker.

Well, I am mixed more on Europe than on the USA, because there are some interesting dynamics to consider.

Why it may sell well in Europe
-The game takes place in a fantasy Europe, very idealized. This may appeal to the Europeans who like seeing a Japanese interpretation of fantasy Europe.
-PS3 is selling well in Europe.

Why it may not sell in Europe
-The game takes place in a fantasy Europe, but it is also a war setting, they may not like it.
-Anime art style may or may not appeal to them
-Strategy RPG instead of a traditional RPG

On the other hand, the fact that it has an anime art style means that it will sell terribly in the states. It is also a strategy RPG instead of being a genre that appeals more to the American audience, like FPS or RTS games.

Tiktaalik

Xisiqomelir said:
08./03. [PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Sega) - 24,000 / 102,000

Chugging along, chugging along :)

07./07. [NDS] We're Fossil Diggers (Nintendo) - 27,000 / 84,000
08./03. [PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Sega) - 24,000 / 102,000

We're Fossil Diggers, closing fast.

We're Fossil Diggers GOTY 08????????

Ashhong

isnt monster hunter ahead of wii fit according to famitsu? thats a pretty big difference between the 2 charts

Laguna

Banned
Ashhong said:
isnt monster hunter ahead of wii fit according to famitsu? thats a pretty big difference between the 2 charts

Does it really matter? Both are huge successes and in the end Wii Fit will be on Top either way.

linsivvi said:
It's called user base difference. How do you expect these two games to outsell games on a platform more than 10 times of their user base? And yet Valkyria has a high LTD than the Fossil Diggers.

The only thing fucked up is Sony's marketing and the launch price of the PS3. Yakuza 1&2 didn't get buried when they were released for the PS2. In fact, the only place it was buried was when released in NA (with bad dub).
Are you seriously comparing Valkyria to Fossil Diggers? Best comparisson since Uncharted and Zack&Wiki.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Well, I am mixed more on Europe than on the USA, because there are some interesting dynamics to consider.

-The game takes place in a fantasy Europe, very idealized. This may appeal to the Europeans who like seeing a Japanese interpretation of fantasy Europe.

-The game takes place in a fantasy Europe, but it is also a war setting, they may not like it.

On the other hand, the fact that it has an anime art style means that it will sell terribly in the states. It is also a strategy RPG instead of being a genre that appeals more to the American audience, like FPS or RTS games.
It could do quite well in France but I don't see it lighting up the charts anywhere else - we will not see this chart in Germany for instance.

icecream

Public Health Threat
linsivvi said:
The question is more like, why do these games seem to sell roughly as much as they probably would have on a user base 1/4th the size?

Olaeh

These are golden week numbers? I assumed that we'd have a bunch of new titles fill up the top 10. Was anything moderately big released for golden week? Wasn't ToS:KoR planned for a golden week release?

Kipe

linsivvi said:

That's what I'm saying, I don't expect them to outsell cheaper budgeted nintendo games and I can't imagine any executive from a giant company like sega/sammy to have that expectation either. My question is, how do japanese game executives rationalize making big budget games on highend systems when the market is more satisfied with cheaper budget games? From my pov, it seems like a suicidal business decision.

Don't get me wrong though, as a gamer I'm more hyped about Valkyria than any other game on the top ten list by far and I'm grateful Sega took a chance on it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Olaeh said:
These are golden week numbers? I assumed that we'd have a bunch of new titles fill up the top 10. Was anything moderately big released for golden week? Wasn't ToS:KoR planned for a golden week release?

ToS:KoR is 6/26

Ashhong

Laguna said:
Does it really matter? Both are huge successes and in the end Wii Fit will be on Top either way.

yes it does. i commenting more on the big differences between famitsu and m/c. obviously it matters to some

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Phife Dawg said:
It could do quite well in France but I don't see it lighting up the charts anywhere else - we will not see this chart in Germany for instance.

Yeah, they will see too many parallels with the empire and Germany.

Selvaria is not hot enough to justify having the invading empire use Germanic influences.

Pachael

Hcoregamer00 said:

I'd add Sega marketing (lack of) and Sega localisation (potentially underwhelming and at worst a turn-off) to that. I'm never confident on these kinds of things when it's Segaaaaaa. That, and Sega's propensity to ship the game near another blockbuster that will kill the sales off. I can see Sega releasing this near Gears of War 2, for instance.

Notice a pattern?

Vinnk

Ashhong said:
yes it does. i commenting more on the big differences between famitsu and m/c. obviously it matters to some

Number differences matter to Gaffer when a game is not doing well and they need the numbers to back up their spin. When both games are doing great, we don't care as much. For example, if the New Super Mario Bros. number was different between the two sources by 500,000. It would be an interesting bit of trivia, but no one would be up in arms.

donny2112

AlternativeUlster said:
Was there a WiiFit takeover Ps3 thread or have I just been dreaming?

I don't think so. I wouldn't recommend it, either (at least until they actually cross).

Famitsu Apr 14-20

1. WII Mario Kart Wii 200782 / 808929
2. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 G 149181 / 1731054
3. NDS Bokura wa Kaseki Holder (We are Fossil Diggers) 39666 / NEW
4. PS2 Musou Orochi: Maou Sairin 29770 / 314266
5. WII Wii Fit 25669 / 1854218
6. NDS Pokemon Ranger: Batonnage 17963 / 445694
7. NDS Beautiful Letter Training DS 16894 / 163037
8. PS2 Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 16109 / 120574
9. NDS Mario Kart DS 13785 / 2964417
10. WII Deca Sporta: Wii de Sports 10 Shumoku! 11598 / 134173
11. PSP Star Ocean: Second Evolution 10219 / 118320
12. WII Super Smash Bros. Brawl 9901 / 1601598
13. WII Wii Play 8637 / 2290645
14. WII Wii Sports 8371 / 2871760
15. NDS SimCity DS 2: Kodai kara Mirai e Tsuduku Machi 8189 / 104225
16. PS3 Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5 6779 / 67497
17. NDS Tottadoo! Yoiko's Deserted Island Life 6222 / 68931
18. NDS Maji de Manabu: LEC de Ukaru - DS Hishou Boki 3-Kyuu (DS Bookkeeping, Level 3) 6044 / NEW
19. NDS Crayon Shin-Chan: Arashi o Yobu Cinema Land 5981 / 69238
20. NDS Phoenix Wright (NEW BEST) 5133 / NEW
21. NDS Taiko Drum Master 5111 / 372668
22. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 5043 / 5147122
23. PSP Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion: Lost Colors 4603 / 50945
24. NDS My Housekeeping Diary 4373 / 479614
25. PSP Echochrome 4227 / 56924
26. PS2 Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion: Lost Colors 4118 / 48054
27. NDS Kanji Brain 2 + Dictionary 4105 / 226387
28. NDS Mario Party DS 4035 / 1676189
29. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 3947 / 4638853
30. NDS Phoenix Wright 2 (NEW BEST) 3720 / NEW

*. NDS SBI Group Kanshuu: Hajime You! Shisan Unyou DS (Asset Management DS) 1000 / NEW

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Mar 17-23, 2008
Mar 24-30, 2008
Mar 31-Apr 6, 2008
Apr 7-13, 2008

Kuramu

Donny, I saw what looked like HW numbers in your post just now. Were those old numbers? Did that just happen? Where am I?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kuramu said:
Donny, I saw what looked like HW numbers in your post just now. Were those old numbers? Did that just happen? Where am I?

old

donny2112

schuelma said:

Yep. I got confused for a second on what the current Media-Create week was versus the current Famitsu week. To make up for it, have a graph. :p

2007vs2008_Fam_16wks.png

Totals:
2007 after 16 weeks: ~18 million
2008 after 16 weeks: ~16 million

Pachael

icecream said:
No, because they're on different platforms?

Uh, no, that's not what I meant. The pattern is that Sega are bumbling idiots when it comes to localisation, and they'll occasionally ship games near the times when the blockbusters hit, in this case I refer to GOW2 - despite the different platform media, forum and fanboy coverage is swamped by the big game rather than Valkyria.

icecream

Public Health Threat
So how much of Mario Galaxy's coverage was be swamped by Gow?

For a PS3 owner, I don't think the grand coverage on GoW2 will matter much. Though Resistance 2 might.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, they will see too many parallels with the empire and Germany.

Selvaria is not hot enough to justify having the invading empire use Germanic influences.
:lol WTF? No we won't. PS3 games simply aren't that big here to allow a niche game to go up the charts and we are not as obsessed with Anime like the French.

Top Bottom