• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump judicial pick said transgender children are proof that 'Satan’s plan is working

Piecake

Before Jeff Mateer became President Trump’s nominee for federal judgeship in Texas, he fought a local ordinance extending equal protections to members of the LGBT community and said the separation of church and state does not exist in the Constitution.

But likely his most controversial statements were made in two 2015 speeches, in which he said transgender children are proof that “Satan’s plan is working” and same-sex marriage is a harbinger for “disgusting” practices such as polygamy and bestiality. He also appeared to advocate gay conversion therapy, a discredited practice banned by a handful of states and condemned by human rights and medical groups.

The recent revelations on Mateer, Texas’s first assistant attorney general, have also raised questions about whether he disclosed his controversial comments to a vetting committee, as required by state law.

Mateer, who received his law degree from Southern Methodist University, spent six years as the general counsel for the First Liberty Institute, a Plano, Tex.-based religious liberty advocacy group. He fought legal battles to let a Christian baker refuse to accommodate gay patrons, to allow Christian prayers at local government meetings, to display a portrait of Jesus in a public school, and to keep “under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance, among other things.

He also has spoken openly about his view that the separation of church and state does not exist in the Constitution, quoting late Supreme Court Justice William Rehnquist, who called the wall separating the two institutions a “misleading metaphor.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...atans-plan-is-working/?utm_term=.2340396fa929

rjinaz

Satan a good guy in 2017.

All I can do is smh at this country anymore. How disgusting we have become, and worse there are still way too many people that are fine with it (not homophobic or transphobic though so don't you dare use the H word T word or R word!)

cameron

In one of the speeches, titled “The Church and Homosexuality,” Mateer talked about a transgender first-grade girl who in 2013 sued a Colorado school for keeping her from using the bathroom for her gender.

“Now I submit to you, a parent of three children who are now young adults: A first-grader really knows what their sexual identity [is]?” Mateer said in the May 2015 speech, according to CNN. “I mean, it just really shows you how Satan’s plan is working and the destruction that’s going on.”
A grown man talking about Satan is questioning if a first-grader is capable of understanding gender identity.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I am officially updating my 'who are we, collectively, allowed to punch' policy from Nazis to All Republicans And Persons Who Voted For Donald Trump.

Derwind

Can we not go a day without this adminstration doing or saying something truly horrific.

If Satan had any plan, it was to allow this adminstration to exist at all.

He also has spoken openly about his view that the separation of church and state does not exist in the Constitution, quoting late Supreme Court Justice William Rehnquist, who called the wall separating the two institutions a “misleading metaphor.”

Also this is absolutely terrifying.

A grown man talking about Satan is questioning if a first-grader is capable of understanding gender identity.

It's kind of mind blowing when you think about it really . People in important positions believe the most ridiculous things about the nature of reality.

the chris

Satan must trust him alot to show him his plan

I'm pretty sure Trump is already the proof Satan's plan is working.

If Satan had any plan, it was to allow this adminstration to exist at all.

Hey, now don't blame Satan for this:
BhRaqY4.jpg

Not

Banned
Canon

Revolt of the Angels by Anatole France

Ultimately a meditation on the corruption of power, Anatole France’s Revolt of the Angels (1914) utilizes the theological metaphor of Satan as a force favoring free inquiry, the War in Heaven a metaphysical battle against universal tyranny.

Arcade, an angel who has strayed from Heaven to study Philosophy and History on Earth seeks to re-assemble Lucifer’s legion to overthrow the detached and intolerant God of Heaven. Finally, Satan, after contemplating His probable victory concludes:

“No, let us not conquer the heavens. It is enough to have the power to do so. War engenders war, and victory defeat. God, conquered, will become Satan; Satan, conquering, will become God. May the fates spare me this terrible lot!‎”

Holyyyyyy shit.

Um, this is amazing?

This guy's one of the Commanders of Gilead, essentially

Yup, was about to say the same thing. Religious nuts are without a doubt the most dangerous people in the world today. Religious extremism and its buddy racism are doing a great job at fucking up our country and the world at large.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Goddamn. Am I a Satanist?

Does "Satanism" just mean "whatever the opposite of current Christianity as it is practiced is?"

Because guys I think I might be a Satanist
It can if you want to!

It's OK, really. Satanism is pretty cool. They have the coolest symbols and imagery, and the superior ideology. ^_^ Edit: and the best music too!

Not

Banned
That feel when The Satanic Temple is a bigger force for good in the world than Evangelical Christianity

I want to go back in time and punch myself every year from age 3 to age 24.

Luminaire

HAIL SATAN!

Youse guys should check out the satanism episode of The Last Podcast On The Left. Humorous and interesting.

That feel when The Satanic Temple is a bigger force for good in the world than Evangelical Christianity

I want to go back in time and punch myself every year from age 3 to age 24.

its ok man, you didnt know any better. now you have more knowledge, Satan forgives you!

Pretty sure the abhorrently large number of confederate sympathizers is the problem and not the under represented transgender community but what do I know about the Christian God’s plan for the USA in this large empty universe of ours.

Laiza

I wish I could understand why they see us transgender folk as such a terrifying threat when we've done them absolutely no harm ever.

It's such a curious case of irrationality that I can't help but be curious, even though I know the answer is just "because we're different". Different is bad, mmkay?

Sigh. Business as usual, really.

I wish I could understand why they see us transgender folk as such a terrifying threat when we've done them absolutely no harm ever.

It's such a curious case of irrationality that I can't help but be curious, even though I know the answer is just "because we're different". Different is bad, mmkay?

It’s easy to prey on the minority or under represented when you can convince your followers its moral or God’s plan.

Laiza

It’s easy to prey on the weak when you can convince your followers its moral or God’s plan.
The irony here being Jesus's teachings are for the exact opposite - treating the weak and vulnerable with mercy and compassion, not trodding all over them with steel-toed boots.

But hardly anyone really bothers reading that big ol' book they're carting around. Not to mention the excuse of some stories being "parables" or having unique "interpretations" they can twist however they like and blah-blah-blah...

If Mueller can't save this country, Satan help us all.

Satan walks among us and his name is 999REDACTED999

for he funds the DUMP

to run amooooook

The irony here being Jesus's teachings are for the exact opposite - treating the weak and vulnerable with mercy and compassion, not trodding all over them with steel-toed boots.

But hardly anyone really bothers reading that big ol' book they're carting around. Not to mention the excuse of some stories being "parables" or having unique "interpretations" they can twist however they like and blah-blah-blah...

The bible gets mistranslated 24/7 lol

RinsFury

For the typical Trump voter being anything other than white and straight is a cause for hatred.

It's unfortunate that USA has a very loud Christian fundamentalist following that is not met with any immediate opposition from their leaders in fear of disrespecting the main religion or their followers.

UberTag

Satan a good guy in 2017.

All I can do is smh at this country anymore. How disgusting we have become, and worse there are still way too many people that are fine with it (not homophobic or transphobic though so don't you dare use the H word T word or R word!)
Just think about how the American image globally has been DESTROYED by this administration.
Even your allies think you're a bunch of ignorant lowlifes now.
The damage will persist until we're all buried six feet under.

Top Bottom