• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

Thought this was deserving of its own thread considering the amount of discussion happening around folks upgrading their TV sets.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...etitions-champagne-at-the-ready/#66ac30c24bb8

Happily, though, it appears that people power has already prevailed. LG has now confirmed exclusively to me that is going to be rolling out a firmware update to its TVs that will address the HDR lag situation.

Here, in full, is LG’s response:

“LG Electronics has been made aware that some customers are experiencing lag on their displays when playing HDR games on LG TVs.

LG engineers are currently working on a firmware patch to address the issue which is expected to roll out shortly.

LG is also working on a solution for 2017 LG TV models which may include the option of an HDR gaming mode.

LG is committed to providing the highest standards of product quality and customer service.

As such, we regret any inconvenience this has caused our customers and confirm our commitment to resolving this issue as quickly as possible.”

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Will be interesting to see what the brand new sets that will be announced at CES in over a month will be sporting. Of course many of those are promo and demo sets and not what the public will actually get their hands on but it would be nice to see.

Good job everyone!

However, the mention of HDR Game Mode being in next year's model leads me to believe this will not be a huge gamechanger but a drop to 40-50 ms.

Which is still a big improvement and really great for those that own an OLED :)

As it should be. If they don't do this, it would certainly make me think twice about getting an oled in future. TVs in this price range should be better supported.

Good. Companies making these new TVs need to realize that there is a huge gaming audience out there they should be catering to. They are also the same people that are more likely to buy a new display more frequently than the average consumer.

Toki767

Good job everyone!

However, the mention of HDR Game Mode being in next year's model leads me to believe this will not be a huge gamechanger but a drop to 40-50 ms.

It's already 40-50ms lol

Grief.exe

Good job everyone!

pgtmNPL.png

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Very nice to hear as a new 55B6 owner.

Same here!

Honestly, I haven't had any issues with input lag, but lower is always better.

I'm more eager for the update (either from Sony or LG) that will let PS4 Pro output images properly with HDCP 2.2 enabled. Right now you have to knock it down to HDCP 1.4 in order to get it to display. While this is fine for playing games, it means you can't access 4K content on services like Amazon and Netflix.

Toki767

Same here!

I'm more eager for the update (either from Sony or LG) that will let PS4 Pro output images properly with HDCP 2.2 enabled. Right now you have to knock it down to HDCP 1.4 in order to get it to display. While this is fine for playing games, it means you can't access 4K content on services like Amazon and Netflix.
Why wouldn't you just use the built in app on the TV?

b0bbyJ03

Same here!

Last time I called about this they told me that they'll be releasing a patch on the 24th

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Same here!

Err...what? Which TV? I'm using a B6 and HDCP 2.2 works perfectly fine with 4K content. What issue are you seeing?

Kyoufu

I'll be happy with 50ms or lower which isn't an unreasonable ask, really.

Err...what? Which TV? I'm using a B6 and HDCP 2.2 works perfectly fine with 4K content. What issue are you seeing?

Some B6 owners only get a black screen with HDCP 2.2 active. The workaround is to set the console to output at 1080p and then disable HDCP before it'll display an image.

LG say they're working with Sony on the issue.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Great, now if nothing big gets announced at CES, I can decide if I want to go with the 2016 or 2017 model OLEDs. Come on CES, wow me. Also, don't you dare drop 3D support from the high end models!

flozuki

Same here!

Why do you want Netflix or Ama Video on your PS4 Pro when the (LG Oled at least) TV itself has better apps for that???

Despite that, I never had problems with HDCP - does this concern the E6 too?

Madness

Great, now if nothing big gets announced at CES, I can decide if I want to go with the 2016 or 2017 model OLEDs. Come on CES, wow me. Also, don't you dare drop 3D support from the high end models!

Well you want to hurry on the 2016 sets as the price is going to rise again on OLED after BF. But LG is usually great with their software updates or with their promises. Still remember they refunded and sent a check to me when the update for my LG HD-DVD and Blu-ray combo player was no longer happening and they sent a check for like $200 USD as an apology.

dark10x

I'll be happy with 50ms or lower which isn't an unreasonable ask, really.

Some B6 owners only get a black screen with HDCP 2.2 active. The workaround is to set the console to output at 1080p and then disable HDCP before it'll display an image.

LG say they're working with Sony on the issue.
Whoa, that's weird.

I have a B6D, a German specific model...I don't see why that would impact anything but it does have unique firmware updates for some reason. :\

jrcbandit

Will this apply to non OLED tv's? I have an LG UH8500 that has 26-34 ms input lag in non HDR modes but like 60 ms with HDR.

Banned
Based LG. My TV and speakers are LG. I swapped the LG receiver for Onkyo though.

I'll buy an LG 4K TV sometime late next year.

The_Spaniard

Netmarble
Well you want to hurry on the 2016 sets as the price is going to rise again on OLED after BF. But LG is usually great with their software updates or with their promises. Still remember they refunded and sent a check to me when the update for my LG HD-DVD and Blu-ray combo player was no longer happening and they sent a check for like $200 USD as an apology.

Well I can't hurry and wait for CES. Though even if the prices go up after BF, they'll go right back down after next year's models get announced.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I'm using the B6 and I got no picture with the PS4 Pro when I first turned it on. Had to go into safe mode and force it to use HDCP 1.4 to get it to work. It seems to be a known issue affecting other sets as well. Something to do with the device identification technology or something.

HDCP 2.2 works just fine on the set, though. I have a UHD Blu-ray player hooked up and it plays UHD Blu-rays just fine, as well as Amazon/Netflix 4K/HDR content.

Why do you want Netflix or Ama Video on your PS4 Pro when the (LG Oled at least) TV itself has better apps for that???

Despite that, I never had problems with HDCP - does this concern the E6 too?

I've read that it affects all LG OLEDs, although there are conflicting reports. An update is in progress, apparently.

Like I said, it doesn't bother me that much even as it is. The apps built into the TV for Netflix and Amazon are more than good enough, but I just don't appreciate having things broken that should work.

I posted this just as the forum went down and it duplicated the quote, etc. I've corrected it in the OP.

I'm using the B6 and I got no picture with the PS4 Pro when I first turned it on. Had to go into safe mode and force it to use HDCP 1.4 to get it to work. It seems to be a known issue affecting other sets as well. Something to do with the device identification technology or something.

HDCP 2.2 works just fine on the set, though. I have a UHD Blu-ray player hooked up and it plays UHD Blu-rays just fine, as well as Amazon/Netflix 4K/HDR content.
That's strange. B6 here and no issues from the get-go. I've used Netflix/Amazon without a problem as well. No changes needed to HDCP2.2.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
the article I just read mentions the issue extends beyond just the OLED sets

Well now that's worrying because the original petition they were responding to was specifically about their 2016 OLED models.

But now after re-reading their response to the petition it's a general "all sets" experiencing lag thing. Like a general acknowledgement of a symptom rather than a specific issue.

I have less faith in a real patch now.

dark10x

I've read that it affects all LG OLEDs, although there are conflicting reports. An update is in progress, apparently.

Like I said, it doesn't bother me that much even as it is. The apps built into the TV for Netflix and Amazon are more than good enough, but I just don't appreciate having things broken that should work.
Are you using a receiver?

I run my PS4 Pro into a Denon x3200w - perhaps that has an impact on the situation? I just confirmed, it works fine with HDCP 2.2 on the B6. I might try plugging directly into the TV and see if it breaks.

Caayn

It certainly doesn't we've already got users with 2016 models reporting that everything works fine in this thread. And my 2015 model didn't have any issue either with the PS4 Pro.

Are you using a receiver?

I run my PS4 Pro into a Denon x3200w - perhaps that has an impact on the situation? I just confirmed, it works fine with HDCP 2.2 on the B6. I might try plugging directly into the TV and see if it breaks.

Curious to see what you find. I'm also running through a Denon receiver here (AVR-720W)

dark10x

It certainly doesn't we've already got users with 2016 models reporting that everything works fine in this thread. And my 2015 model didn't have any issue either with the PS4 Pro.
How about with HDR?

A friend of mine has a 2015 OLED and HDR games DO NOT work properly at all. The white level is completely borked with very dim results. No clue why.

Evo X

Wow. That petition actually worked. Great news.

I've never had any PS4 Pro HDCP 2.2 issues with my LG C6. I've tried it plugged in directly and through a receiver.

Adam M

I'm also curious if they will somehow manage to make lower the game mode SDR input lag. The E6/C6 34ms is very good but the B6's 44 is maybe high for some.

If they can decrease a little bit like 34->28 and 44-> 37 then it will be cool and many gamer who just because of the better input lag are considering the E6 then they can make the decision easily.

But based on forums, the B6 is responsive enough

Karak

Ah it finally got announced. Good times though I think we had heard the rumor was Dec for the announce. Not the only one that will be doing stuff like this.

Heidern98

I have a 2016 LG LCD TV (65UH9500) and I haven't really noticed any significant lag while playing Gears 4. I think it must be there since I was having some small discomfort with aiming the first day, but I already got accustomed to it. I haven't really tried HDR with PS4 too extensively, except for a short session with First Light. But that was fine. Hopefully this update will come soon.

Head.spawn

They have to lower it a ton for me to even be remotely interested.

Yep.

I was all set to buy one of their big boys, and that steered me clear. I'll be damned if it wasn't the best looking set I messed around with, but I went with the second best one that had >20ms.

If LG could get an actual game-mode on there with much lower latency and have the option to have the goods if I felt like watching a movie; I'd never buy another tv from anyone else.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Read: *although there are conflicting reports*...

Will next years TVs likely have lower input lag than this years models or do they focus on other areas? I dont follow TVs closely but the 4k stuff is really catching my interest since i have a Pro now.

Top Bottom