• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Sorcerer and Panta Rhei PS4 demos look like CGI, will games look as good?

*ever look as good this gen? I believe they will! We have 3 tech demos that all look close to CGI level graphics: Panta Rei, Agni's Philosophy and Dark Sorcerer, I would have doubts with 1 demo but its not like a single source is promising these type of graphics. FYI Heavy Rain 2010 looked as good as Heavy Rain 2006 demo when people said it wouldn't. Whats more is that when HR did come out it wasn't really the cream of the crop in graphics. I do expect graphics like the pics below from Naughty Dog within 4 years. (and another chance to talk about how good The Dark Sorcered looks)

image_the_dark_sorcerer-22313-2753_0001.jpg

image_the_dark_sorcerer-22313-2753_0002.jpg

image_the_dark_sorcerer-22313-2753_0003.jpg

image_the_dark_sorcerer-22313-2753_0004.jpg

image_the_dark_sorcerer-22313-2753_0005.jpg

image_the_dark_sorcerer-22313-2753_0006.jpg

image_the_dark_sorcerer-22313-2753_0007.jpg

image_the_dark_sorcerer-22313-2753_0008.jpg

image_the_dark_sorcerer-22313-2753_0008.jpg

image_the_dark_sorcerer-22313-2753_0009.jpg

image_the_dark_sorcerer-22313-2753_0010.jpg

image_the_dark_sorcerer-22313-2753_0012.jpg

image_the_dark_sorcerer-22313-2753_0013.jpg

I'll say games 3 or so years from now give or take won't look like that but won't be far off. Depending on the type of game (as you'd expect, open world = not as good graphics, etc..).

Camp Lo

Banned
After watching that game trailers feature on Deep Down, I truly believe that not only will games look like that but with the additional resources, they will exceed.

mr_nothin

Banned
The Order: 1886 is apparently exactly how the game will look w/ no gimmicks.
So I'd say yes, its fair to say that PS4 games will evolve to look like these at some point.

Quantic dream isn't in the bullshit business. we've seen what they can do with heavy rain, and soon with beyond:two souls.

if anything we will have passed this bar in a couple of years.

Heavy Rain looks better than The Casting and Beyond looks better than Kara. I think a lot of people have simply underestimated what's going to be possible next-gen by buying into the whole diminishing returns nonsense.

Coconut

Banned
Only if they animate at 60fps. In my mind current gen games would look fine at 720 if they animated at 60fps. It helps to avoid the uncanny valley.

Mlatador

Banned
The question to me is who will spend that much money to make games looks this good and how will they play? How long will they be. Will they play like games, or rather be next-gen versions of Dragons Lair?

Moxx19

Banned
Heavy Rain looks better than The Casting and Beyond looks better than Kara. I think a lot of people have simply underestimated what's going to be possible next-gen by buying into the whole diminishing returns nonsense.

Nailed it. We'll get there and then some. I'm still shocked by how many people thought that Killzone SF demo didn't look much better than PS3, lol.

Sober

There are a ton of things in gameplay that could possibly ruin any immersion or remind people it's a game that is the bigger downer. This is scripted so it looks great but as soon as you introduce player input you can't account for everything and it can quickly spin out of control even if it looks great.

leadbelly

Banned
In terms of the games Quantic Dream makes, I imagine they will look as good as that. Heavy Rain is more like an interactive movie, so...

The question to me is who will spend that much money to make games looks this good and how will they play? How long will they be. Will they play like games, or rather be next-gen versions of Dragons Lair?

QD has a tendency to make a certain kind of game, if that's what you're getting at...but it's far from dragons lair.

NateDrake

Cage is great at visuals and making engines. It's just whether or not he can make a great game that a lot of people will love. (I loved Heavy Rain and cannot wait for Beyond.)

Elios83

Quantic Dream said it's real time.
There's no reason not to believe them considering their past history and honestly I think that's the kind of graphics we'll get in about a year.
Launch titles are mostly cross gen titles with added bells and whistles.

Sentenza

More often than not, no.
And keep in mind that, given some talented artist in your team, at this point it's not particularly hard to put out an insane amount of detail when you are going to concentrate everything in a single room and character model.

GameSeeker

Quantic Dream has an excellent track record of delivering graphic/animation/sound in their games that is better than the tech demo that preceded it.

VanWinkle

Deep Down looked incredible, and I wasn't convinced it was real, but The Dark Sorcerer looked even better as a whole, so I'm a bit more hopeful now. The Dark Sorcerer was just completely insane. Greatest looking real-time graphics I've ever seen.

More often than not, no.
And keep in mind that, given some talented artist in your team, at this point it's not particularly hard to put out an insane amount of detail when you are going to concentrate everything in a single room and character model.

there were 2 characters in the E3 teaser, but more than 10 characters were shown in the full version.

Stike

It is certain that at least Quantic Dream do realtime stuff. When they say it is, it IS.

Just look at the old "The Casting" Tech Demo from E3 2006 (or around that time) and what happened since then and what came out with Heavy Rain and even Beyond which will still come out on the same hardware.

Shit's gonna be epic. Fuck CGI :D

Did the KZ2 look as good as the 2006 trailer?
maruseesu2.png

In some ways it does , but definitely not in other ways. It's not a fair comparison though because the KZ2 target render was completely CGI and not running on any hardware. These tech demos are actually supposed to be in-engine stuff.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Quantic Dream said it's real time.
There's no reason not to believe them considering their past history
Well, that and the fact that they actually did presentations at E3 showing how it was actually realtime by messing with it, in realtime.

Top Bottom