• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chapo Trap House [OT] Speed Boat Dope Cocaine Genesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

BearPawB

Banned
I have it on my podcast feed, but i have never listened to it because I find so much political talk depressing.

I will be ready someday

yeah, I enjoy it. The humor doesn't always land for me, but overall it's a good listen.

It also has one of my favorite quotes, from Adam Curtis, that left me "legit shook" as the kids say: starts at 45:57

transcript taken from one of the comments:
Q: What would it look like to imagine a different world? Do you have a vision of it How would we know if we were beginning to imagine a different world? Even within this hyper-real one?

ADAM CURTIS: You ask what real change might look like, and I think that’s a really interesting question for liberals and radicals, because there is a hunger for change, out there - millions of people who feel sort of insecure, uncertain about the future who DO want something to change. I think that change only comes though a big imaginative idea. A sort of picture of another kind of future which gives people - which connects with that fearfulness in the back of people’s minds. And offers them a release from it. That's the key thing. But I think the question for liberals and radicals is - they are always suspicious of big ideas. That's what lurks underneath the liberal mindset.

And the reason is - and they are quite right in a way - is look what happened last time when millions of people got swept up in a big idea! Look up the last hundred years - what happened in Russia, and then in Germany. The point is , Is that Political change is frightening. It's scary — it's thrilling because it is dynamic and is doing something to change the world but it is scary because it can change things in ways where nothing to secure. Its like being in an earthquake. Even the solid ground beneath you begins to move. And things dissolve that you think are solid and real. And I think the question liberals are left have to face at the moment is a really sort of difficult question which is: “do you really want change? do you really want it?” Because if you do many of them might find themselves in a very uncertain world where they might lose all sorts of things.

What we were talking about, in many cases, is people who are at the center of society at the moment, they are not out in the margins. They would have a lot to lose from real political change because it really would change things in the structure of power. Or - and this is the brutal question: Do you just want things to change a little bit? Do you just want the banks to be a little bit nicer, or for people to be a little more respectful of each other's identities - All of which is good - but basically you carry on living in a nice world where you tinker with it. That’s the key question. But you can't just sit there forever worrying about big ideas because there are millions of people out there who do want Change. And the key thing is: they feel they’ve got nothing to lose. You might have lots to lose, but they feel they’ve got absolute nothing to lose. But at the moment they're being led by the Right. So things won't remain the same.

But society may go off in ways you really don’t want. SO in answer to your question, what you need is a powerful vision of the future. With all its dangers. But it is also quite thrilling. It will be an escape from the staticness of the world we have today. And to do that, you’ve got to engage with the giant forces of power that now run the world, at the moment. And the key thing is that in confronting those powers, and trying to transform the world you might lose a lot. This is a sort of forgotten idea. Is that actually you surrender yourself up to a big idea and in the the process you might lose something but you’d actually gain a bigger sense, because you change the world for the better. I know it sounds soppy, But this is the forgotten thing about politics. Is that you give up some of your individualism to something bigger than yourself. You surrender yourself - and it’s a lost idea.

And I think really in answer to your question: You can spot real change happening when you see people from the liberal middle classes, beginning to give themselves up to something. Surrender themselves for something bigger. And at the moment, there is nothing like that in the liberal imagination.

New patreon episode got uploaded last night.

It seems to be a lot about cultural appropriation so far, which Amber has some interesting views on.

I don't necessarily agree that the issue is as overblown as they seem to be implying it is, but it's interesting and new to hear this perspective from people who are so left-leaning. I need to think more about it to figure out if/how much I disagree with them.

Adree

Love chapo. Wish I'd discovered them before the election since I find they fit me politically.

Very worthwhile patreon too since they upload lots of episodes.

Love chapo. Wish I'd discovered them before the election since I find they fit me politically.

Very worthwhile patreon too since they upload lots of episodes.

my first episode was the first post-election episode, which was definitely cathatric and hooked me

Oh, there is already an OT. I was just writing one. Cool.

hfOmier.jpg

Anyway here's an article in the Washington Post today about Virgil's wikipedia war on Garfield's gender identity.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Haha the new one with leyawn they discuss garfields gender for like a half hour. It was some excellent content from the irony boys.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Whats hilarious is I have the same Jim Davis response letter somewhere. Jim Davis was one of the first people who I ever emailed.

big ander

Got into chapo this past week thru the Heidecker and Adomian shows, then the last 5 weeks of free eps. that pisspiggranddad episode is wild. I really gotta go back to the adam curtis one.

When are new non-patreon episodes? I thought today from the dates in past ones

Got into chapo this past week thru the Heidecker and Adomian shows, then the last 5 weeks of free eps. that pisspiggranddad episode is wild. I really gotta go back to the adam curtis one.

When are new non-patreon episodes? I thought today from the dates in past ones

Yeah I marathoned a couple weeks of episodes when I discovered them.

Also I saw on twitter they did a live show in Pittsburg last night, so I'm assuming there isn't a new episode because they were busy at that.

If you want a new episode I really love the first episode they did after the election (We're In The Zone) or the original Caleb episodes (I think it's just called Caleb)

inner-G

Banned
I tried this last week - turns out, I like political podcasts that compare current situations with the Metal Gear Solid timeline

Got introduced to them via this thread and I've already worked through all the episodes on spotify. Also started listening to cum town and it's pretty similar.

Also I saw on twitter they did a live show in Pittsburg last night, so I'm assuming there isn't a new episode because they were busy at that.

If you want a new episode I really love the first episode they did after the election (We're In The Zone) or the original Caleb episodes (I think it's just called Caleb)

Episode 13 with Connor Kilpatrick is one of my favorites.

Valhelm

contribute something

I think the absolute best would be the Matt Karp civil war discussion or the foreign policy episode with Jeremy Scahill

Weird how much you can learn from a bunch of dryboy failsons

robotrock

Banned
I don't actually know what this is. It's some political podcast right?

I just saw that it's getting like 50k a month on Patreon and wanted to ask why? What kind of content are they putting out and how frequently are they doing it? Also how long has this been going? Not trying to dis I just haven't seen something like this

Adree

I don't actually know what this is. It's some political podcast right?

I just saw that it's getting like 50k a month on Patreon and wanted to ask why? What kind of content are they putting out and how frequently are they doing it? Also how long has this been going? Not trying to dis I just haven't seen something like this

It's basically a leftist political podcast that skewers conservative and neo-liberal targets. Sometimes it has skits and interviews. They put out an extra podcast each week for Patreon subs. They just hit the one year anniversary.

big ander

Episode 13 with Connor Kilpatrick is one of my favorites.
Listened to these (except the first caleb ep which I think is premium?) and a few others and I'm a full-on fan now. the fake clip show this week was amazing, even not having heard some of the episodes they referenced.

Pryce

all I wanna be is el chaaaaapo.

these guys are fun as shit. i don't agree with all of their politics but they always bring interesting/hilarious take to stuff.

Listened to these (except the first caleb ep which I think is premium?) and a few others and I'm a full-on fan now. the fake clip show this week was amazing, even not having heard some of the episodes they referenced.

Oh god yeah, that clip show was fire. I was laughing my ass off at Felix's unannounced Maron impression.

Yesteday's episode was pretty bad imo. The stuff about PA natural disasters was awesome. If you don't know about Centralia, that's a wild story. But the reading did nothing for me, and I wonder how they thought it would be good.

Does anyone know if the live show w/ Streetfight Radio will be released?

Oh god yeah, that clip show was fire. I was laughing my ass off at Felix's unannounced Maron impression.

Yesteday's episode was pretty bad imo. The stuff about PA natural disasters was awesome. If you don't know about Centralia, that's a wild story. But the reading did nothing for me, and I wonder how they thought it would be good.

Does anyone know if the live show w/ Streetfight Radio will be released?

agree with this (if you're talking about the novel excerpt).

they struggle with sincerity in general, so having someone they like read something they want to promote is just kinda awkward. the book seems neat but it's not a good format

agree with this (if you're talking about the novel excerpt).

they struggle with sincerity in general, so having someone they like read something they want to promote is just kinda awkward. the book seems neat but it's not a good format

yeah totally. They did sincerity really well after the election. But yeah, this reading seems especially off to me.

Also there's no way in hell Pittsburgh is better than Philadelphia.

mp1990

Banned
i'm just at the beginning of the new episode (it's about The Newsroom) and it's already a favorite of mine

god i hate The Newsroom

FWIW, James Adomian has been hinting on twitter that he may bring his Sebastian Gorka character to The President Show. "THE DRAGON OF BUDAPEST SHALL RISE!!!"

Man just reading the thread title, I thought this was a subgenre of subgenre of a subgenre of music. I was like "okay this is getting weird".

I'll give them a shot though, always looking for new podcasts to listen to.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, I watched like 1.5 seasons of the Newsroom. Can't wait to listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom