• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt's market value continues to grow, now worth over $1.6 billion

boskee

CD Projekt's share value continues to surge following successful Christmas sales and good performance of the Gwent beta. Ahead of the annual results that will be published on March 30th, CD Projekt's value has risen to over $1.6 billion, making it worth more than Capcom.

To put this in perspective, the Polish energy giant Tauron which employs 25000 people is valued at "only" 5bln PLN - some $600 million less than the makers of The Witcher 3. Overall CDP group is now the 15th biggest company listed on the Polish Stock Exchange and its share value has risen by over 1200% in the last 5 years, and by 56% in the last three months alone.

CD Projekt is also the biggest Polish exporter in the IT sector - 95% of its revenue is generated outside of Poland.
Ko0Uaf5.png

DrLazy

They deserve it. Smart, down-to-earth leadership. And great news for Polish (and European) dev community

Nikodemos

Remember, though, this is the entirety of CD Projekt, which also encompasses GOG.

That said, it is still an impressive valuation.

liquidtmd

Banned
Make a great game, make it a labour of love, support it well, don't treat your user base like mugs and here we are.

Congrats guys.

Dame

Their world- building and realisation of environment was a triumph. A lot of hard work and fair business sense toward consumers. Good on them.

Hope they are somewhat conservative in their growth strategy. Developers often grow too fast and once a game or two falls off, things start moving sideways.

That being said I'm more optimistic on their leadership going in the right direction than pretty much any other leadership in gaming right now.

As someone who has been a fan of the Witcher series for years it's insane still to see them blowing up like this.

Bring on Cyberpunk!

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Hope they are somewhat conservative in their growth strategy. Developers often grow too fast and once a game or two falls off, things start moving sideways.

That being said I'm more optimistic on their leadership going in the right direction than pretty much any other leadership in gaming right now.
Crytek is a good example of a company that ended up growing too fast and after a few failures pretty much went from extremly big to almost nothing.

Crytek is a good example of a company that ended up growing too fast and after a few failures pretty much went from extremly big to almost nothing.

Yep, my thought was basically don't pull a Crytek. But they're worth more than Crytek ever was I'm pretty sure and again their leadership seems to be going in the right direction so I'm optimistic

abbyabs

I am happy for them they give you so much content in the game then lots of free DLC, then they give you amazing paid for DLC. They have some of the best DLC models i have seen, its not based half arsed greedy DLC like EA did with battlefront...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well they actually imploded once already, though they're growing incredibly fast again so we'll see what happens.

That said, I think they have a more sane business path than Crytek, who hired 800+ employees to make ??? and ???

Uzzy

Good news. Anything that makes it harder for someone to buy them out is good news. I've had nightmares about Activision or EA buying them.

boskee

Yep, my thought was basically don't pull a Crytek. But they're worth more than Crytek ever was I'm pretty sure and again their leadership seems to be going in the right direction so I'm optimistic

I don't see them doing that. They've stated few times that they're happy in Poland and are not looking to expand into say publishing business. They have opened up a new studio in Cracow couple of years ago and hired the former Reality Pump devs (among others) and they're looking to grow it as well as their main Warsaw studio, but that's pretty much it. The only other developments are their local representatives in US, Brazil and Russia, but those are meant to stay small and focus on marketing etc.

Agreed. What I always come back to is the end of that first CP2077 trailer where it says "coming.......when it's ready." Seems emblematic of them as a developer. They have poise and take the time to do things right. Just like delaying W3 a bit. And with their financial position after W3, they should be all the more able to take the time to deliver the quality that everyone now expects from them.

Model game dev studio.

As an aside, I wonder how gog is doing for them financially? Does anyone know that?

CD Projekt's ascension has been nothing short of astounding. Their success is well deserved for a multitude of reasons; their games, their philosophies, and their ideas. May they live long and prosper.

Now, here's another good opportunity to post the origins of CD Projekt, a long read that's really fascinating. In short, CD Projekt was created both out of, and to fight, piracy; and later, their attempt at a console port of the Witcher 1 nearly sunk the company, until a reverse takeover (injecting funds and listing them on the Warsaw Stock Exchange) saved them. Believe it!

This makes me happy.

I hope they truly nail the gameplay of cyberpunk 2077.

They've ascended to a top tier developer which makes me happy.

Chris1

I'm pretty sure we are gonna get a trailer at either Sony or MS E3 stage. That game is gonna be huge and someone is going to want the marketing for it

Probably MS since TW2 was exclusive + they had TW3 and Gwent too.

With how consumer friendly CDPR is I wouldn't be surprised if it was play anywhere too

Game is gonna be amazing, other than RDR2 it's the only game I'm really pumped for atm and we've seen almost nothing about both lol

I still can't believe how good these developers are, considering where they started. I'm also very happy that they are polish, I love the people here.

boskee

Agreed. What I always come back to is the end of that first CP2077 trailer where it says "coming.......when it's ready." Seems emblematic of them as a developer. They have poise and take the time to do things right. Just like delaying W3 a bit. And with their financial position after W3, they should be all the more able to take the time to deliver the quality that everyone now expects from them.

They're currently sitting on over $122 million in cash. The Witcher 3 cost them $81 million in total, with the marketing budget mostly paid in advance by the distributors (and repaid through the sales of the game). So yeah, they're doing very well.

As an aside, I wonder how gog is doing for them financially? Does anyone know that?

It's growing steadily and generating profits, and the future looks bright with Gwent and Cyberpunk's multiplayer powered by GOG's infrastructure. One of the lead programmers from The Witcher 3 was moved to GOG to help them out too, so they're definitely trying hard to develop it in the right direction.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
They're currently sitting on over $122 million in cash. The Witcher 3 cost them $81 million in total, with the marketing budget mostly paid in advance by the distributors (and repaid through the sales of the game). So yeah, they're doing very well.

It's growing steadily and generating profits, and the future looks bright with Gwent and Cyberpunk's multiplayer powered by GOG's infrastructure. One of the lead programmers from The Witcher 3 was moved to GOG to help them out too, so they're definitely trying hard to develop it in the right direction.

Music to my ears, CD is going to have an incredible future if played smart and they've got the income to be confident in being flexible on their ambitions. My favourite rpg developer

Probably MS since TW2 was exclusive + they had TW3 and Gwent too.

With how consumer friendly CDPR is I wouldn't be surprised if it was play anywhere too

Game is gonna be amazing, other than RDR2 it's the only game I'm really pumped for atm.

Yeah I'm leaning towards it showing up during the MS Conference. Very likely will be Scorpio footage. MS is going to want to show some major game support for Scorpio so it would make a lot of sense for Cyberpunk to be part of that

boskee

Well deserved. I assume this includes GOG and is not solely based on the strength of the Witcher series.

Correct. Word is that Gwent is already doing well in the closed beta, so that's one of the reason their shares started surging.

TW3 was quite an achievement. Difficult to comprehend how big and full of quality content that game is. I have my issues with the game itself but there's no denying it's one of the great achievements in games

boskee

Yeah I'm leaning towards it showing up during the MS Conference. Very likely will be Scorpio footage. MS is going to want to show some major game support for Scorpio so it would make a lot of sense for Cyberpunk to be part of that

Yup. CDPR seems to have developed quite a partnership with Microsoft so I'm pretty sure that's where we will see Cyberpunk 2077. The only question is whether or not it will be this or next years.

Top Bottom