• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Kaladin

Well, except maybe for the occasional....

bewitched-candlemass-o.gif

Metal Gaf is a community which has been around in it's current state since 2006. There might have been some metal heads on gaf before then, but it wasn't as organized. Whether you like the genre or not, Metal Gaf is possibly one of the best communities on Gaf for music. We have our ears to the ground. On any given page, you can find a ton of posts recommending albums we've come across. We also tend to go to shows and support the bands we love. Metal Gaf typically has a very low gif per page ratio. We focus more on discussion and recommendations than quick and witty gif responses.

Speaking of bands we love, in OT1 we had a couple of polls.

In two separate, very unscientific polls we determined our favorite band and favorite albums.

What was our favorite band?

Cover34.jpg

While this result is very arguable, you will find many Opeth fans throughout our ranks. Their album Ghost Reveries was #4 in our album poll.

And what exactly did we choose as our favorite album if not Opeth?

593.jpg

Rust In Peace, a true metal opus if there ever was one. Holy Wars, Hangar 18, Tornado Of Souls...the entire album is killer and we highly recommend you check it out.

For the rest of our recommendations, check out this post. Hint: we love Black Sabbath.

For those about to circle pit, we salute you.

tumblr_lzrppswhp71qgcgyvo1_500.gif

Kaladin

Metal-GAF should close down if shitwater park was voted the best metal band.

As I said, the result is arguable and it was through a very non scientific polling. We certainly have a strong Opeth fanbase here and a strong faction who are against Opeth.....I think any band that ended up on that pedestal would have the same thing happen.

Browny

Banned
I added Rust In Piece to my phone just the other day, for guitar reasons. Never got into any of the other albums - happy for a recommendation of what to try next?

Vio-Lence

Banned
I added Rust In Piece to my phone just the other day, for guitar reasons. Never got into any of the other albums - happy for a recommendation of what to try next?

Peace Sells is probably their best album, then you could check out Countdown to Extinction for a superior hard rock/pop metal experience.

Realistically you could look at both RIP and CTE as responses to Metallica's AJFA and TBA.

MjFrancis

Even though I did not contribute I used the last thread extensively to find new bands or albums. I'll continue to do so here, thanks fellas.

Browny

Banned
Peace Sells is probably their best album, then you could check out Countdown to Extinction for a superior hard rock/pop metal experience.

Realistically you could look at both RIP and CTE as responses to Metallica's AJFA and TBA.

Deezer has just given me the choice of 33 albums - including a load of live ones. If I can get my goddamned phone to sort its photo stream out, I'll grab Peace Sells and Countdown. I know I've never listened to Peace Sells.

Edit: I just re-read your post - never thought of the albums as responses! I listened to all the Metallica albums, so could be a good exercise to do!

Kaladin

Deezer has just given me the choice of 33 albums - including a load of live ones. If I can get my goddamned phone to sort its photo stream out, I'll grab Peace Sells and Countdown. I know I've never listened to Peace Sells.

Edit: I just re-read your post - never thought of the albums as responses! I listened to all the Metallica albums, so could be a good exercise to do!

Never listened to Peace Sells?

Your body is not ready.

I take my coffee exactly how I take my metal; Black, without sugar!

I actually don't really like black metal. I am more of a folksy guy. Please don't kick me out of the thread.

mantidor

I actually don't really like black metal. I am more of a folksy guy. Please don't kick me out of the thread.

what about black folk metal i.e. Fintroll?

It's been a while since I was around the older thread, and I was experimenting with other music but I always come back for more metal, I was listening to Limbonic Art just now when the old thread popped up in my subscriptions.

pablito

i finally got into black coffee myself. and i like black metal. i should spin some black metal while drinking black coffee.

i'm also black.

A new thread?

immortal_wintermoon_l77qa4.gif

What was our favorite band?

Cover34.jpg

While this result is very arguable, you will find many Opeth fans throughout our ranks. Their album Ghost Reveries was #4 in our album poll.

Arguable? Pff, the people have spoken and they were right!
immortal_grimandfrostqcrqa.gif

Defying the thread title as a true metalhead would :p

Hey Metal GAF, can you recommend me the best Meshuggah album? I have heard a lot about them. Also I loved L'Enfant Sauvage by Gojira, which album of theirs should I check out next?

FACE

Banned
As I said, the result is arguable and it was through a very non scientific polling. We certainly have a strong Opeth fanbase here and a strong faction who are against Opeth.....I think any band that ended up on that pedestal would have the same thing happen.

I think if a good band like Judas Priest or Iron Maiden won that vote there wouldn't be anyone contesting.

Because this thread needs some Manowar in the first page:

Or hell...just listen to their albums...

I see a bunch of songs that are not Blood of My Enemies.

Hey, new thread!

Anyway, I can't stop listening to Iron Maiden these days. Nicko McBrain is definitely going up in the ranks as one of my favorite drummers in Metal.

Hey Metal GAF, can you recommend me the best Meshuggah album? I have heard a lot about them. Also I loved L'Enfant Sauvage by Gojira, which album of theirs should I check out next?

Tough question, I love all of their work and consider it all flawless (except Contradictions Collapse), but for me the best is Chaosphere overall. Having said that, I recommend Destroy Erase Improve because it's probably their most accessible and will get you accustomed to their sound and songwriting. From there, try Nothing and Catch-33 if you are feeling adventurous.

it was all those questions ;)

But I loved those!

You're just metal like that.

Well, I eat sleep and breath Metal (well, along with other types of music, but yeah), so that's probably why I posted so much.

Anyway, for those who didn't see it in the first thread, I asked about everyone's favorite Iron Maiden songs. Go ahead and post them if you want to. I'll re-post mine.

Mine:

Running Free
Transylvania
Charlotte the Harlot
The Prisoner
The Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Where Eagles Dare
Flight of Icarus
The Trooper
Sun and Steel (Yes, that song. Sue me)
Two Minutes to Midnight
Losfer Words
Flash of the Blade (Once again, sue me)
Powerslave
Wasted Years
Heaven Can Wait
Stranger in a Strange Land
Can I Play With Madness?
The Evil That Men Do
The Prophecy
Blood Brothers

Favorite Maiden songs...

Wasted Years - my favorite by far...that guitar.
Wrathchild
Children of the Damned
The Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills
Hallowed Be Thy Name
The Trooper
The Wicker Man

Alright, time to kick this thread into high gear

Click the photo to be entreated to the best song about the afterlife ever

I still maintain that Blind Guardian is the perfect band for GAF. Talented, nerdy, and badass... just like this forum!

EDIT: We got moved to community ALREADY? I thought we got a week in Off-Topic to recruit new metal warriors!

Top Bottom