• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3D demo on eShop this week

In all honesty, I expect the final version to look and run very much like this demo. Believing otherwise is a bit of a false hope, me thinks, and will only lead to disappointment.

I thought the same thing when I played the Revelations demo that came with Mercenaries.

Got the final game along with the Circle pad pro and have been happy ever since.

if reviews are giving it good grades then there is some small hope

If you dont have the CCP do yourself a favor and get on board already. :p

weeaboo

Graphics are mmm... *acceptable* but the framerate is atrocious and where the hell is the 3D.

I'm going to stick with my 720p/60fps version.

No objections in the controls

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Looking at your feedbacks I'm quite sure it isn't the demo I've tried two days ago at the Nintendo event.
I'll download it if few hours so I'll let you know..

Mengetsu

Let's quote this again. And if it isn't the E3 version, it definitely is an old build of the game.

Why do this Konami? People who depend on demos for there choices would be turned off instantly without knowing this is an old build. Bad move.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
If they are releasing such an old demo they probably don't care about the feedback and sales of that title. What a shame..

Ridley327

Why do this Konami? People who depend on demos for there choices would be turned off instantly without knowing this is an old build. Bad move.

It wouldn't be the first time they've done it with MGS3, even; the demo for the PS2 original was plagued with bad load times and a uneven framerate compared to the final product.

Konami is run by crazy people.

It wouldn't be the first time they've done it with MGS3, even; the demo for the PS2 original was plagued with bad load times and a uneven framerate compared to the final product.

Konami is run by crazy people.

Demos are often split off the main project long before the actual release, and are simply kept the way they are with some minor adjustments.
It's just not worth the budget to make multiple demoversions or recreate the first demo with the latest build of the game. If anything they'll throw in some gameplay additions (like the new Hud in this demo, but nothing more.

The visuals are in parts better than the PS2, in parts worse. Explosions are laughably bad. I mean they could be straight out of a PS1 game.

Medalion

Banned
Downloading the demo nao... and for some reason I noticed there was an update to Super Mario Bros game I downloaded from the Ambassador program, wonder what that's about or if the other Ambassador games will get updates as well

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Let's quote this again. And if it isn't the E3 version, it definitely is an old build of the game.
Do you really expect that the final game will be drastically different? If this were truly the E3 demo it wouldn't support CCP.

I thought the same thing when I played the Revelations demo that came with Mercenaries.

If you dont have the CCP do yourself a favor and get on board already. :p
Honestly, the demo that came with Mercs was fairly representative of the final games graphics performance. They added AA in 2D mode, but most of the rendering was very much the same as the final game.

I don't think it's safe to believe or assume that the final version of MGS3 is going to be drastically different (if different at all) from this demo.

Again, I'd be willing to bet that the final game will NOT be improved.

There hasn't been an ounce of hope anywhere from any source suggesting that the final build is improved over this demo.

Its a shame 3DS got this piece of shit instead of the best version available like PS3/360/Vita
I'm not convinced the 3DS could handle it properly without redesigning the entire engine from the ground up for the strengths of 3DS.

kfpkiller

Downloading the demo nao... and for some reason I noticed there was an update to Super Mario Bros game I downloaded from the Ambassador program, wonder what that's about or if the other Ambassador games will get updates as well

I got updates for all the nes games. I don't know what they do.

Edit: Thanks heavy's sandvich

Raine

This game just does not look good. I was very excited to have MGS3 (and in 3D) on a portable but I guess I'll just wait for the Vita.

And I wonder what this update for Super Mario Bros. is about.

Do you really expect that the final game will be drastically different? If this were truly the E3 demo it wouldn't support CCP.

Honestly, the demo that came with Mercs was fairly representative of the final games graphics performance. They added AA in 2D mode, but most of the rendering was very much the same as the final game.

I don't think it's safe to believe or assume that the final version of MGS3 is going to be drastically different (if different at all) from this demo.

Again, I'd be willing to bet that the final game will NOT be improved.

There hasn't been an ounce of hope anywhere from any source suggesting that the final build is improved over this demo.

I'm not convinced the 3DS could handle it properly without redesigning the entire engine from the ground up for the strengths of 3DS.

Are you kidding me? Then how do you explain how members of the press have said its a drastic improvement over previous builds when they were disappointed by previous builds. Edge went so far as to say that this version of the game was better looking than the HD version.

Do you think they'd say that if this demo was representative of the final game?

Sophia

Yea. Wish it controlled like RE:R. This is just bad.

I freely admit I'm biased. I never really enjoyed MGS3, and found it almost unplayable until Subsistence came along.

I'm sure the Circle Pad Pro would make it control better, but I've lost interest after seeing how bad the framerate is in the demo.

And I wonder what this update for Super Mario Bros. is about.

What's this now?

The Edge review, the Gameblog preview, a poster in this thread saying peoples' impressions don't sound like what he played at a Nintendo event 2 days ago...

the demo looks exactly the same as the Japanese demo, which in itself is old - so I wouldn't be surprised if this is Konami sending themselves to die.

ryan-ts

Are you kidding me? Then how do you explain how members of the press have said its a drastic improvement over previous builds when they were disappointed by previous builds. Edge went so far as to say that this version of the game was better looking than the HD version.

Is there text of the review online somewhere? I'd like to read it if you can find it.

ss_lemonade

Did some research and found out that it adds Suspend Points or something. From EuroGamer:

Downloading the new version will add Suspend Points, allowing you to save your progress wherever you are in-game and reload it as many times as you like. Revolutionary stuff.

It upgrades the basic "resume" function currently available.

dark10x

Do you think they'd say that if this demo was representative of the final game?
Care to point me towards that text?

If that is indeed the case consider me completely surprised. It is rare indeed to see the kind of dramatic overhaul necessary to fix a game like this. The demo is REALLY bad.

Sophia

Damn. This is bad to read. Don't know if I'll even bother downloading it now.

If you liked the original game, and you have the Circle Pad Pro, go ahead and download it. It's by no means horrible.

If you don't have the CPP, don't even bother. It controls like total fucking ass without it.

I can't speak of the 3D, not being able to see it and all... *shrugs*

Sadist

Well you need the CPP for a more comfortable experience. Framerate drop during cutscenes is bad.

As for the rest, I'm interested. But I'll wait for more reviews.

I see that Big Boss' clothing doesn't even get dirty after crossing a mud pit... :/ After playing the HD Collection this is pretty embarrassing.

Frost_Ace

I love the touch screen HUD and I think it actually improves the game a lot but I think the CCpro is needed for the camera :/

anyway I hope that some of you are right and this isn't the final version of the game, some textures are horrible, the framerate is meh, and the low polyness of snake is unsettling.

Care to point me towards that text?

If that is indeed the case consider me completely surprised. It is rare indeed to see the kind of dramatic overhaul necessary to fix a game like this. The demo is REALLY bad.

The full text isn't online yet. However, a GAFer that has the magazine quoted the final paragraph.

Packed with detail, both in terms of it's environments and mechanics, this is a game that pays back investment in spades. MGS3 is a moden classic - the tighest, smartest and most emotional journey in the series - and even the HD update doesn't look as good as this portable treatment 8/10

Kazerei

Banned
I know this is an old build, but even if they fixed the framerate and touched up the graphics and you play with CCP ... this is bad :\

dc89

If you liked the original game, and you have the Circle Pad Pro, go ahead and download it. It's by no means horrible.

If you don't have the CPP, don't even bother. It controls like total fucking ass without it.

I can't speak of the 3D, not being able to see it and all... *shrugs*

I do not have the CPP. :( If it controls like total fucking ass why has Kojima put his name to it! What's up with the guy?!

dark10x

The full text isn't online yet. However, a GAFer that has the magazine quoted the final paragraph.
I'm genuinely curious to see how it turns out then.

If it controls like total fucking ass why has Kojima put his name to it! What's up with the guy?!
Unfortunately, the controls in Kojima games are often overly complicated to begin with. When working with fewer buttons things only get worse.

I'm still baffled as to why they didn't adapt the MGS2 camera to systems with one analog stick.

If you have the chance, download the demo and see for yourself.

I don't have a CPP; it was fine. Plays like Peace Walker.

I'm also not put off by the aliasing found on the blades of grass. Any issues with the framerate was purely a cosmetic one, didn't affect me when playing and I was able to be as sneaky as always.

But to repeat again, find out for yourself.

Sophia

I do not have the CPP. :( If it controls like total fucking ass why has Kojima put his name to it! What's up with the guy?!

*shrugs*

Trying to control the camera with the face buttons was an exercise in frustration, more so when the controls seemingly kept switching depending on when and where you were crouching. You can apparently change the sensitivity in the settings, but after getting caught twice in the same section my patience had ran out.

Unfortunately, the controls in Kojima games are often overly complicated to begin with. When working with fewer buttons things only get worse.

I'm still baffled as to why they didn't adapt the MGS2 camera to systems with one analog stick.

The MGS2 style would have been a much better experience than trying to shoehorn full 3D Camera. And I can't believe I'm saying that after having played the original Snake Eater.

Or better yet, why not MGS2?

Yeah, I think MGS2 or the original would have been a far better choice for the 3DS.

I'm genuinely curious to see how it turns out then.

Or better yet, why not MGS2?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I was kind of down on this game for a while but the demo changed my mind slightly.

Framerate is Peace Walker levels of bad though. Pretty sad that you could see that one based on just the title screen alone.
The controls are also PW levels of retarded, only this time you have the option to use the CPP so that should mitigate frustration quite a bit. Definitely something I want to try out.

The graphics looks a little better than the PS2 version I think. The low screen resolution really hurts it all, though. But it's definitely among the best looking 3DS games, all things considered.

This is probably a good pick up if you somehow don't own a PS2, PS3, 360, a PC capable of running PSX, or don't plan to own a Vita.

Real talk though, this game of all the metal gears shouldn't be on the 3ds. The 3D doesn't really give me a real sense of depth between objects in the environment when the slider is at less than max. When it's on max though, the window-aspect pushes the foreground further into the distance than it needs to be and strains my eyes. :/

Ridley327

There's a lot of things to like about the demo; crouch walking is as great an addition as I was hoping for, being able to switch between third person and first person views on the fly is very welcome after it went AWOL in Peace Walker, and CQC is no longer reliant on hopes and prayers of not accidentally slitting a guard's throat right away. I won't comment on the performance as it's been discussed enough and for all intents and purposes, it's a much older build than what's been sent out recently, but I will say I am not digging the desaturated color scheme in comparison to what the PS2 and PS3/360 have. It makes spotting guards really difficult from distances beyond 20 feet and it makes the visuals, which look surprisingly closer to the PS2 version that I was honestly expecting, a lot worse than they actually are. If the final game fixes that in addition to the (hopefully) cleaned-up framerate, I think this version of the game can justify its existence solely on the strength of the gameplay improvements.

And yes, this game may as well require the CPP.

krumble

Just downloaded

framerate isn't the best and my CPP is at home so will have to wait on that to play properly, but the 3D.. probably some of the best I have seen on the system so far... as you are going through the trees etc and the leaves/branches come out at you

Put the 3D slider down to zero and it looks like ass, but in 3D it's almost convinced me to buy it day one

Additionally gameblog was the publication that said they were impressed by the level of polish in the final game compared to previous builds (which they were disappointed with).

Link is in French. A poster translated it but I havent been able to find the excerpt.

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/27486-metal-gear-solid-snake-eater-3d-impressions-exclu-en-video

Top Bottom