• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 public Beta is here for pre-purchases! [Stress Test June 27th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jira

So after a long time coming, the general masses will finally be able to get their hands on GW2 in their own homes. Here’s what you need to know about the Beta.

EVERYONE: ROLL ON HENGE OF DENRAVI FOR NORTH AMERICA AND JADE SEA FOR EUROPE.

HERE IS THE CLIENT LINK! http://cloudfront.guildwars2.com/client/Gw2.exe

When is it?

April 27th-29th 12PM Noon PDT (Pacific) 3PM EDT (Eastern) to 12AM Midnight PDT 3AM Eastern.

Check here if you live outside of the US for the correct time:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclo...+2+Beta+Weekend&iso=20120427T12&p1=234&sort=1

How can I get into the Beta?

You can pre-purchase at multiple retailers and directly from ArenaNet, go here for details:

http://buy.guildwars2.com

What will be in the Beta?

3 of the 5 races (Human, Norn, Charr) with content up to 25, Personal Story up to level 20, two of the competitive PvP maps, World versus World (WvW) PvP, the Human, Norn, and Charr cities and for the first time ever, Lion’s Arch will be available to the public.

Is there an NDA?

No, there’s no NDA for this Beta so feel free to talk about your experience, stream, record video, and take as many screenshots as you want.

Where can I get the client?

See the link above.

What server should I be playing on?

See the top of the post for the 2 servers.

Will there be a GAF guild in the Beta?

Yep, we intend on getting the guild going ASAP.

Here's a link to the official forums for when they add them in for Beta discussion/feedback.

http://forum.guildwars2.com

Here’s a link to our guild thread over on the community side:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467970

If you’re still not sure what this game is about or why you should be paying attention, check out my massive info thread here:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1058358-Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated-READ-ME!

Here's a link to our previous press beta thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463813

Oh, also, be sure you have the latest drivers for your video card.

Here's a link to two skill calculators:

http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/?lang=en

http://www.gw2tools.com/skills

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much I'll be able to play during the first BWE. The next one I should be playing a lot. I'm going to try to get at least one gaming session in for this one though - I was hoping it was going to be this weekend. :(

I think I'm going to try a norn. I want to do main an asura but I'm going to use these BWEs to see what other races and (possibly) classes that I could be interested in maining instead.

Skilletor

I'm new to the PC world, but Guild Wars art has always looked awesome to me. Is this something I can play all by my lonesome?

It being free has piqued my interest.

Shrennin

I'm new to the PC world, but Guild Wars art has always looked awesome to me. Is this something I can play all by my lonesome?

You could play GW2 by yourself, but this MMO (unlike most) encourages you to play with others (without the feeling that you're being forced to).

You must play it online at all times, but there is a "personal story" that is more fit for solo play. I would recommend playing with others though (you don't have to even group with them, it just happens naturally with the dynamic event system).

Helmholtz

This is coming at the perfect time for me. I finish exams this Wednesday :)
I should be playing a ton on the weekend. Very excited... been waiting over 5 years for this.

Retro

Hmph. People said that about Warhammer online >.<

You're right, though the success of GW1 proves that ArenaNet can get an awesome game out and maintain it for quite a while. We've also seen the game steadily look better and better, and it was already looking fantastic 3 years ago.

I guess sometimes you just need a little faith.

Jira

Hmph. People said that about Warhammer online >.<

WAR had nothing but promotional videos with powerpoint presentations and a loud mouthpiece. Every single feature that ANet has ever talked about has been played by the public, there's no smoke and mirrors bullshit. They've done nothing but let people playing their game for nearly 2 years now at every convention, they let the press give out impressions what 5 months before the game is set to launch and now they drop their NDA probably 3 months prior to launch? No one else but Blizzard has done this, they want people to play and talk about their game because they're confident in their product, other MMO devs hide behind an NDA up until 2 weeks prior to launch and by then it's too late.

Ashodin

I just want to say that you guys are going to be blown away. seriously. I have never experienced combat as fluid and intuitive as this.

Jira

I just want to say that you guys are going to be blown away. seriously. I have never experienced combat as fluid and intuitive as this.

Yep, just like Guildcast over at Gamebreaker was saying, they can't wait to see what people think, they want people to experience it as well. It truly is special.

Shrennin

So far GW2 is the only game that I have really had enjoyment from just watching. The combat looks fun and the game is fun to watch. I can't imagine what it is like playing it.

Retro

WAR had nothing but promotional videos with powerpoint presentations and a loud mouthpiece.

Oh my god, I had repressed all memories of Paul Barnett. He was out there, man. Never seen anyone other than Peter Molyneux do such an amazing job of getting the hype train rolling single-handedly. I guess he fell off the face of the Earth.

But yeah, Warhammer had a ton of great concept art and hype, but when it came time to sit and play it? Pass.

Ashodin

When I finally got into the world, I just wandered around dumbfounded about how slick and polished it was. I wandered directly into an ambush by a huge minotaur and its kin. Crazy.

Retro

Bring on the beta

6 Days, 19 hours, 29 minutes.

and then the release . . . some time in 2012.

7Wmhz.png

Dash27

But yeah, Warhammer had a ton of great concept art and hype, but when it came time to sit and play it? Pass.

The PvP was very fun but fatally flawed. GW2 addresses all the issues I had with WAR. Three servers fighting in WvW instead of two factions. No factions at all so balance is easier. No crappy end game like WAR had. No brick wall (hopefully, supposedly) in leveling. Streamlined, but deep, combat. No heal bitches.

Retro

Lol @ the Colin pic.

I have that saved to my hard drive as "ColinLaughsAtYou.jpg". I can foresee a lot of use for it in the coming months as people grow more and more impatient. Some of us have been waiting for almost half a decade, after all, and we're not dead yet.

The PvP was very fun but fatally flawed.

The potential WAR had went down the drain when it tied itself to the same old Trinity system. I remember reading about how tanking was going to be all about positioning and collision detection, and they ended up having taunts and stuff anyways. Because a 30% damage debuff on one target is going to make all the difference in the standardized Zerg formation, right?

Sorry. I had a moment of dyslexia. I meant 2021.

You'll finally be able to play Guild Wars 2 while flying to work in your car. Or it'll be out in November. Either or.

The joke is that both of those are quite unrealistic. Sorry Kayos :D

Aw yeah, can't wait! I was planning on going with a Norn anyway so I'm a little disappointed that the other races aren't available just so I could check 'em out. But oh well. Maybe I'll go human for the Beta since I don't think I'll be doing that when the actual game comes out.

Jira

New BWE patcher screenshot:

Note this isn't mine.

"Before people start asking:

This is not the beta client, there is no public download link, I have acquired this through private means and a bit of prior knowledge of how their patcher works and a few good friends.

This is the dev client, beta clients are just branches of the dev client, meaning that they are preparing for the BWE already.

I thought I would share the new patcher look. I will probably not be leaking much of anything else, since BWE is next week, and there is no point. I just thought the patcher looked cool and I should share. Don't click the link if you don't like spoilers."

wDSe9.jpg

Jira

Even the patcher and forums keep the overall painterly aesthetic. Amazing attention to detail in just every facet. <3

Shrennin

It's been mentioned before, but the fact that there is no NDA just shows how much faith ANet does have in their product. Even during the press events, press were allowed to share quite a bit.

Again, I know this has been stated before (by Jira), but being in betas for other games I know how strict NDAs can be (even up until release). To me, this just means that GW2 is polished enough to show to the world, which is something that can't be said for most games at this point in their development.

I think that just hit me with the patcher screenshot (the fact that ANet is encouraging people to talk about the game). It screams confidence.

Aeana

I'll be looking forward to detailed impressions. I'm not at all comfortable paying the full cost into this game to get access to this beta yet. I always try to get into MMO betas so I can give them a shot before I have to pay, to see if it's my thing or not. Sad that I won't get an opportunity with this one, but good that lots of people will play and won't be under NDA so burning questions can still be addressed.

I prepurchased / entered the code / got confirmation email on April 12th, but I haven't yet received any subsequent email telling me how/where to get the game client for beta access.

Huh. This is the kind of shit that leaves people disappointed when they realize that no MMO will ever live up to this kind of hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom