• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jira

So as of 6am PST, the embargo on this past weekends press beta will be up and impressions and footage will come pouring in. Use this thread here to post anything new you find and I'll compile it in the OP.

A link to the previous thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440171

Also, until I make the OT, this is the most up to date version of my thread:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1058358-Guild-Wars-2-Mass-info-for-the-uninitiated.-READ-ME!

Note that if you see footage of the game looking like crap, it's not cause the game is maxed out or anything, it's because generally the press had problems with recording and running at the highest settings. With Fraps or whatever turned off, the game ran perfectly fine at the maximum settings allowed in beta, you can see footage around that clearly looks better than others, but even then due to recording it is taking some forms of FPS hit.

1 MILLION BETA SIGN UPS IN 48 HOURS!

g15j4.jpg

Articles/Impressions

Bunch of articles from killtenrats:

http://www.killtenrats.com/2012/02/20/gw2-closed-beta-bookends-and-quick-impressions/

http://www.killtenrats.com/2012/02/21/gw2-closed-beta-war-stories/

http://www.killtenrats.com/2012/02/22/gw2-sunrise-on-the-plains-of-ashford/

http://www.killtenrats.com/2012/02/22/gw2-press-beta-the-richest-pve-experience-part-1/

Tap-repeatedly impressions:

http://tap-repeatedly.com/2012/02/impressions-guild-wars-2-beta/

Game Informer

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/g...that-star-wars-the-old-republic-promised.aspx

MMORPG.com

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/6108/The-Closed-Beta-Preview.html/page/1

Massively

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/flameseeker-chronicles-extra-guild-wars-t28552.html

WvW:

Map: (note that the 3 maps you see are only identical for the time being and will be different for launch)

AjIoJ.jpg

Info:

Beta Development Update - http://www.arena.net/blog/beta-development-update

Downed state changes:

The first three skills that a player gets while downed are determined by their profession while the fourth skill is shared by all professions. This fourth skill is used to call for help and make you invulnerable for a short period of time. While playing, we found that it was possible to get into a situation where you were down, but there were no enemies around to either finish you or that you could use to rally. This left you watching yourself slowly slip into unconsciousness while there was nothing you could do to stop it. Needless to say, this was not a particularly fun experience. To fix this problem, we turned this fourth skill into a channeled heal that is interrupted by damage. This means that as long as there are no enemies around to damage you, you’ll be able to revive yourself.

Long term attrition mechanic
:

With the removal of potions from the game, we also found ourselves lacking a long-term attrition mechanic. An attrition mechanic does some of the same things that a death penalty does, particularly in reinforcing to players that they shouldn’t be playing in an area they’re not ready for. One of the most important things an attrition mechanic does, however, is provide players with a way to maximize their efficiency through skillful play. Since both attrition mechanics and death-penalty mechanics tend to have a lot of things in common, we started looking at how we might accomplish both things with one system.

Very early in the game’s development we had played around with the concept of armor durability as an attrition mechanic but we didn’t like how it felt. We revisited this idea when looking for our new system and combined our old durability concept with some new ideas to get our current system.

When a player is defeated, and not just downed, a random piece of their armor will be damaged. When a piece of armor is damaged, it imparts no penalty but serves as a warning. If a player is defeated while all of their armor is damaged, then a random piece of armor will break. When armor breaks, it ceases to provide any benefit to the player and must be repaired by visiting an armor-repair NPC in town. This NPC will charge a small sum of coins to repair any broken pieces of armor, and will repair any damaged armor as well. Having thus transferred the coin cost to the armor-repair NPC, we removed the multiplier on the cost of traveling to a waypoint when defeated.

We like this system for several reasons. Unlike most other armor durability systems, it doesn’t start becoming a factor just through normal play but only kicks in when a player is defeated. This means that it’s not a tax on playing and can be avoided through skillful or careful play. With every piece of armor needing to be damaged before any of them are broken, it also provides ample warning for the player before any real penalty is incurred.

Compass changes:

The compass now provides different zoom levels that let you get a better view of your surroundings. Just scroll the mouse wheel in and out to zoom. There’s also a nice little set of buttons to show you which zoom level you’re using. If you need a better look at the world just beyond the compass’s edge, you can also pan the map by right-clicking and dragging. The map will snap back to your character’s position once you start moving again.

Don’t forget: if you want to coordinate tactics with your party, you can use the left mouse button to draw lines and create circular pings they will see on their own compasses. Enjoy!
compass.jpg

A solution to server queues:

Let me explain what an overflow server is and what it does. It is a technology we also use as our version of a queuing system. When a map or a world you want to log into is at capacity limit, the game will ask you if you want to play on an overflow server - so you can actually play while you are in a queue. Once space opens on your world, the game will ask you if you want to join your friends on your world. And you keep all the progress you made while you were playing on the overflow server.

Meta-events:

As we’ve been working on the dynamic-event system and building out the content for Guild Wars 2, we’ve come to the realization that the only thing cooler than a series of dynamic events is a series of dynamic events that come together to tell the story of an area. It was through brainstorming that we gave birth to this concept of meta-events. Meta-events are all about immersing the player in the story of an area in a way that incorporates standard events and helps to make the world feel even more alive.

A meta-event might tell you the story of a norn area in danger of being corrupted by the Sons of Svanir, or maybe a human region constantly threatened by centaur armies. When the area is peaceful, you’ll know that the centaurs are being held in check, but when the invasion begins, you’ll see information pointing you where to go to help the people of the world stay safe from centaurs. Driving the centaurs back might require a herculean effort with groups of players destroying several catapults and killing centaur captains. A meta-event can cover a much larger region than a standard event might; you could as much as a quarter of the map thrown into turmoil by a meta-event!

Meta-events provide us yet another tool in our tool kit to create a world that reacts to player actions. Once you run across your first meta-event, we’re sure you’ll come back for more. And keep your eyes open in areas that seem relatively calm. The bandits might be just over the ridge, ready to put the torch to the village!

Hidden Treasure:

Another recent development for Guild Wars 2 has been the implementation of hidden areas with interesting challenges. Our amazing environment artists have carved out a variety of caves, cliffs, and structures in the world. We’ve been stretching our imaginations to fill these spaces with content that should provide an exciting change of pace. Some areas will test your platforming abilities, requiring you to make a series of difficult jumps before you find your treasure at the end, while others contain dangerous foes that will stop at nothing to see you dead.

We hope that these experiences bring a new level of challenge for the best Guild Wars 2 players and provide everyone with a chance to test their mettle against a different type of content. Whether you are fighting off bandits or using the broken remnants of the Great Northern Wall to climb to a hidden chest, we think you’ll find these areas to be both fun and formidable. Just remember that not every leap is what it seems, and occasionally, you have to have a little faith.

Boons & Conditions changes:

Old Conditions

Bleed: Inflicts X damage per second. (Stacks intensity.)
Poison: Inflicts X damage per second. (Stacks intensity.)
Burning: Inflicts X damage per second. (Stacks intensity.)
Cripple: 50% movement-speed reduction.
Chill: 66% movement-speed reduction. 66% skill cooldown increase.
Immobilize: 100% movement-speed reduction.
Weakness: 20% damage reduction.
Vulnerable: X armor reduction.
Blind: Your next attack misses.
Fear: You flee from your opponent.

Some of these felt good, but some felt, for lack of a better term, “mathy.” What I mean is they were effective, but you would never notice it. Math has a lot of great uses, but generally speaking, making you feel awesome isn’t one of them. We tried to put a twist on a number of these conditions to make them feel cooler.

Updated Conditions

Bleed: Inflicts X damage per second. (Stacks intensity.)
Poison: Inflicts X damage per second. Reduces outgoing heals by 33%. (Stacks duration now.)
Burning: Inflicts X damage per second. (Stacks duration now.)
Cripple: 50% movement-speed reduction.
Chill: 66% movement-speed reduction. 66% skill cooldown increase.
Immobilize: 100% movement-speed reduction.
Weakness: Attacks result in a glancing blow 50% of the time and endurance regeneration is slowed.
Vulnerable: Lowered the amount of armor it reduces, but allowed it to stack so that it creates moments of super-high vulnerability for damage spiking.
Blind: Your next hit misses.
Fear: You flee from your opponent.
Confusion: Inflicts X damage each time a foe attacks. (New condition; stacks intensity.)

Some of the damage conditions went from stacking intensity to stacking duration, so we had to change how much damage a single stack did, as well as the skills that could apply them. Ultimately, this makes condition damage more pressure based instead of spike based, which is good because we wanted our damage over time to fulfill this role. It’s also good for creating variation in condition removal. It makes some conditions, such as poison and burning, ones that you can react to and remove, while making other conditions, like bleeding and confusion, ones that you only want to deal with when the stack becomes overwhelming.

Old Boons

Aegis: Blocks the next attack.
Protection: X armor increase.
Regeneration: Regenerates X health per second.
Fury: 20% Critical Chance increase.
Might: X damage per attack increase.
Vigor: X maximum health increase.
Swiftness: 25% movement speed increase.

Many of these already did what we wanted them to do, but again, they were very “mathy” and lacked impact. We tried to bump up their effectiveness while also clarifying what they do. For example, protection increases armor, but most people don’t want to do the math to figure out what that means. Instead, a 33% reduction in damage is easier to understand. With that in mind, we made the following changes:

Updated Boons

Aegis: Block the next attack
Protection: 33% damage reduction.
Regeneration: Regenerates X health per second.
Fury: 20% Critical Chance increase.
Might: X damage per attack increase. (Stacks intensity now.)
Vigor: Faster endurance regeneration.
Swiftness: 33% movement speed increase.
Retaliation: Does X damage to an opponent each time they hit you. (New boon.)

In addition to updating the functionality of boons and conditions, we’re also working on improving their visibility. For instance, since vigor and weakness manipulate endurance, the endurance bar UI should reflect this. And because poison affects heals, your healing skill should look different when you are poisoned.

Finally, we’re also working to make each boon and condition display a noticeable effect on your character; this way, you’ll be able to devote more time to watching the combat and less time looking at the UI.

Screenshots:

More here

Videos:

THIS VIDEO MUST BE SEEN BY ALL! It is without a doubt the greatest example of someone who doesn't suck playing the game. 3rd video on the page:

http://www.jeuxonline.info/actualite/34488/guild-wars-2-exploration-evenements-dynamiques

Playlist will continue to be added to:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL399396AAD32FE6DA

J-Rzez

I can't remember the last game I was actually awaiting info leaks and NDA lifts like this for a while. I need my proper MMO fix already, and this game is pretty damn ambitious. Between this and TSW I think we'll finally get a big shake up to the MMORPG genre. If Planetside 2 turns out great my console days this gen are over.

And yes, I'd kill to get into the beta for this. Not just to be able to play it, but I actually submit a ton of feedback in betas, I enjoy that oddly lol.

Retro

My body is neither ready nor worthy, but open the floodgates and let me drown in awe at six years of patient development and the boldest design strokes the genre has seen (and needed for the better part of a decade). There are worse ways to go.

Subscribed.

nataku

Can't wait for this week to start.

This was the first time in a long time I actually wanted the weekend to hurry up and get over with.

Retro

I bet they ultimately remove the durability system. Not sure what the point is in having it now.

As a penalty for failure. While GW2 is softer than other MMOs (you can be revived by anyone at any time, even mid-battle, or even revive yourself if you can finish off an enemy), there still needs to be some kind of punishment for not being a capable player. If the only thing that ever happened to you when you died was a corpse run, it wouldn't encourage people to dodge, think strategically or work together better.

And even this durability system is softer than other games; you only take damage when you die, not every single time you're hit (like most other MMOs). It's actually a fairer death penalty than the other games; at least it's not costing you repair fees just to be in combat period, right?

On top of that, when you die a single piece of armor is Damaged; there's no nebulous Durability score that can go up in different amounts; one defeat = one piece damaged. 6 defeats (or however many armor slots they have) = broken = time to repair. I'll take that over "Durability: 00129 / 10321" any day.

etiolate

Banned
As a penalty for failure. While GW2 is softer than other MMOs (you can be revived by anyone at any time, even mid-battle, or even revive yourself if you can finish off an enemy), there still needs to be some kind of punishment for not being a capable player. If the only thing that ever happened to you when you died was a corpse run, it wouldn't encourage people to dodge, think strategically or work together better.

And even this durability system is softer than other games; you only take damage when you die, not every single time you're hit (like most other MMOs). It's actually a fairer death penalty than the other games; at least it's not costing you repair fees just to be in combat period, right?

I'm pretty sure dying is its own penalty. Having to start over versus a mob or in a DE, having to port to somewhere to rez and retrace steps, and yadayada. Just the knowledge that you failed is determent enough. The durability rules will just prove needless over time.

Sent

I'm pretty sure dying is its own penalty. Having to start over versus a mob or in a DE, having to port to somewhere to rez and retrace steps, and yadayada. Just the knowledge that you failed is determent enough. The durability rules will just prove needless over time.

Money sink.

K.Sabot

They need a money sink. The first game's economy was broken because there was no money sink.

I thought crafting and miniatures was a good enough money sink.

Fucking 8.8k ectos.

The biggest problem with that game was the low money limit.

Jira

Fucking 8.8k ectos.

Yeah and even more reason for the repair system (money sink). Let's face it, people didn't have to spend money in GW1 unless they wanted to and the low money limit forced them to create their own currency. This is absolutely necessary and it's a better system than I initially thought. Die 6 times and you repair, don't die at all and you pay nothing.

Sent

Yeah and even more reason for the repair system (money sink). Let's face it, people didn't have to spend money in GW1 unless they wanted to and the low money limit forced them to create their own currency. This is absolutely necessary and it's a better system than I initially thought. Die 6 times and you repair, don't die at all and you pay nothing.

Well the AH is also global across all servers, I'm sure that will help a lot too (sounds very cool).

Retro

Well the AH is also global across all servers, I'm sure that will help a lot too (sounds very cool).

I've actually been thinking about this a bit lately; with all of the Marketplaces connected across all of the servers, it will be much harder for individuals to control the market for various goods. In WoW, for example, there was always one or two assholes who would sit at the AH all day and buy up anyone who undercut them and kept prices artificially high.

With a cross-server economy, I think the volume of trade will just be too damn high for people to try and manipulate, and prices should stay relatively stable. That probably means the Marketplace will be less of a gold sink than in other games.

At least, in theory. I'm no economist though.

I just wanna know if you can make a black Norn, none of the other races appeal to me except maybe Charr.

Short answer: Yes.
Long Answer: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Physical_appearance/Norn

Tankman

Fucking 8.8k ectos.

Thats why more money sinks are needed. Ectos were proof enough that the whole economy was broken.

Xyber

Really looking forward to more info about this game. It might be my first big MMO I will really get in to.

PewPewK

I am hype. Excite is flowing through me.

I especially am looking forward to TotalBiscuit's "24 hours worth of footage."

DJIzana

Yes, actually you can. I've seen people make their characters 0 0 0 black at conventions.

What're your thoughts on the Sylvari race / Guardian class?

That's what I'm looking forward to the most... I also can't decide between Guardian, Ranger or Elementalist yet but I know I'll be Sylvari for sure.

Grayman

I've actually been thinking about this a bit lately; with all of the Marketplaces connected across all of the servers, it will be much harder for individuals to control the market for various goods. In WoW, for example, there was always one or two assholes who would sit at the AH all day and buy up anyone who undercut them and kept prices artificially high.

With a cross-server economy, I think the volume of trade will just be too damn high for people to try and manipulate, and prices should stay relatively stable. That probably means the Marketplace will be less of a gold sink than in other games.

At least, in theory. I'm no economist though.

Short answer: Yes.
Long Answer: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Physical_appearance/Norn
As far as I can tell the "server" talk is only for dividing WvWvW, there is quick and painless migration between them just like going EU/NA/Asia in Guild Wars. The economy will be very large and active.

Hard to say how resources will be divided though because the world is not instanced. Ectos or other macguffins may be much more constrained at the supply level because there is farming competition.

I think with their loot design there will always be hyper inflation though. The devs making a way to trade cash for chances at fat loot is one of the best ways to destroy money but the variance in stats to make that work doesn't fit guild wars game design.

The death penalty is going to be an ineffective money sink because it needs to be balanced so more casual players and noobies don't get stuck or go broke. Power gamers are going to be spending a tiny percentage of their income on repairs and banking the rest. So the game is going to have black dyes that cost 10k again because everyone is exponentially earning money.

Repairs, comp burn, potions, all just work as a tiny tax. There needs to be something big for "rich players" to destroy money on. The game needs ferrari's and trips to the moon or wallets just expand infinitely.

Midou

Rarely has a game looked and sounded like what I was hoping it would turn out to be, quite like GW2 has.

I might just be more hyped for this than for PSO2, and I did not think that was possible.

Jira

What're your thoughts on the Sylvari race / Guardian class?

That's what I'm looking forward to the most... I also can't decide between Guardian, Ranger or Elementalist yet but I know I'll be Sylvari for sure.

I love the Sylvrai redesign and thought about making my Ranger one, but I think I have to stay true to my GW1 character and make a female human Ranger. My Sylvari will likely be a Thief. As for the Guardian, I'm debating between that and Ranger for my first class. As for what I think about them, I think the best way to describe any class is to just ask yourself "what kind of playstyle do I like?" The nice thing is that even if you seem to gravitate towards ranged classes, a Ranger is still just as viable as a melee character as they are with a bow. Each class is capable of doing the same things as one another, just differently. So choose what you think will be fun to you. I highly suggest taking a look at the class videos to get an idea of how each class works:

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/

bizatch

There needs to be something big for "rich players" to destroy money on. The game needs ferrari's and trips to the moon or wallets just expand infinitely.

I think the rich crowd will have things to spend their money on in the AH. Things like premium dyes, rare armours with unique looks (guild wars 2 lets you transfer stats from current armour), hard to find companion pets ect.
Arenanet can make money off this by allowing players to pay real money for these aesthetic items. This way, players who just want to buy the game, and not spend any more, can use the AH, and those who want to spend RL money can use the cash shop.

DJIzana

I love the Sylvrai redesign and thought about making my Ranger one, but I think I have to stay true to my GW1 character and make a female human Ranger. My Sylvari will likely be a Thief. As for the Guardian, I'm debating between that and Ranger for my first class. As for what I think about them, I think the best way to describe any class is to just ask yourself "what kind of playstyle do I like?" The nice thing is that even if you seem to gravitate towards ranged classes, a Ranger is still just as viable as a melee character as they are with a bow. Each class is capable of doing the same things as one another, just differently. So choose what you think will be fun to you. I highly suggest taking a look at the class videos to get an idea of how each class works:

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/

Aye, thanks.

I'll more than likely have more than one character but it's always the main I have trouble deciding hahaha. I'm still tempted with my Guardian though. Thinking Human Elementalist & Charr Ranger for my others. =)

Grayman

I think the rich crowd will have things to spend their money on in the AH. Things like premium dyes, rare armours with unique looks (guild wars 2 lets you transfer stats from current armour), hard to find companion pets ect.
Arenanet can make money off this by allowing players to pay real money for these aesthetic items. This way, players who just want to buy the game, and not spend any more, can use the AH, and those who want to spend RL money can use the cash shop.

The AH money just goes back into the economy as a revolving door though.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Wow, the screenshots look amazing.
Subscribed, I'm going to be F5-ing this thread all week.

Anyone know if the guys at Giantbomb got their hands on a betakey? I'd love a lengthy GW2 quicklook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom