• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warframe Closed Beta Giveaway

docbon

What is it?

A fast paced, third person shootem / slashem co-op game from the developers of Dark Sector and The Darkness. The closed beta for this has been underway since October, but they started distributing a ton of keys yesterday. 11,000+ keys are still available here and here. I've been playing it for a few hours and it seems pretty polished. Haven't delved too much into the customization yet though.

Here's an alpha Trailer and closed beta gameplay video.

KissVibes

Banned
It's really fun. Rough in some spots but overall a very enjoyable experience.

I'd best describe it as Gears of War + Mass Effect + DotA 2 + Dark Sector (which makes sense given the developers).

Word of advice: DISABLE DOF AND MOTION BLUR. It's broken right now and looks gross as fuck.

Mechazawa

It's really fun. Rough in some spots but overall a very enjoyable experience.

I'd best describe it as Gears of War + Mass Effect + DotA 2 + Dark Sector (which makes sense given the developers).

Word of advice: DISABLE DOF AND MOTION BLUR. It's broken right now and looks gross as fuck.

I don't really understand this analogy, but I've only played on three worlds.

To me, it's Lost Planet shooting with shoot dodging, flips and Mass Effect super powers.

docbon

Did most of Mercury with NiX and gained access to the Venus area. Didn't realize you fight against several different factions. Last mission I completed had me running from dozens of flood-like monsters after a hostage rescue.

So far so good. 8)

Elixist

played thru the first level, wat a painless process this was to get going and dl'd, refreshing.

game seems cool i like the graphics and animations so far.

Never heard of this game before, looks like it's a lot of fun. Thanks for letting me know where to get a key, this should be interesting.

Zeal

Banned
OMFG, this game is amazing. Where the hell did this come from? The art style, gameplay, atmosphere...all of it is slick as hell. Incredible find, man. Thank you.

Switching from Hawken to this.

Spazznid

cash shop prices seem RIDICULOUS, but maybe those femme-fatale Warframes will seem more justifiably expensive once I get further...

docbon

I got around 15,500 credits from my (long) session tonight, Also found a blueprint for a sword in-game that I didn't see in the marketplace, though I did have to spend the 15,000 I made to have it assembled in the foundry.

cash shop prices seem RIDICULOUS, but maybe those femme-fatale Warframes will seem more justifiably expensive once I get further...

Just keep in mind that's only for the blueprint. Actually creating the frame requires additional components, some of which may be unique to specific regions, along with more credits to pay for the construction. The crafting process also takes several hours, real-time (12 for my sword). If you have platinum, the cash-shop currency, you can use a small amount of that to rush the process. I figure I'll do any crafting at the end of the night, so it'll be available when I log back in again.

OMFG, this game is amazing. Where the hell did this come from? The art style, gameplay, atmosphere...all of it is slick as hell. Incredible find, man. Thank you.

Switching from Hawken to this.

I'm enjoying the feel of movement a lot. Felt pro as heck sprinting into a slide, then into a front flip over an obstacle during a few fights.

The character designs also look pretty sick, though they suffer from low-res textures even at the high setting.

My biggest gripe is the lack of different locales so far. Every mission I've done has been inside of a space ship.

jediyoshi

Diggin the weird lore they've got set up. Game itself runs pretty smooth for how early it is

E for the default melee key is bizarre, switched it to V for now

K.Sabot

Holy shit.

Free To Play games are getting amazing.

I hope they can have success with this and spin this off into the MGS style game they planned on in the first place.

Spazznid

Build-wise it feels great.

System-wise it feels very rough.

Change cash shop to use money instead of points or at least not MS Style points where one dollar equates to like 70 points... Also make frames cheaper or more worth it.

ALSO make all skills available to all players. Unfair advantage for 'Premium' members makes this a Pay to Win game.

But as I only played three missions so far, I can't give too much meaning to my words yet. If anything, this will bide time until RE6 comes to PC and I get my hands on MERC Mode...

Killer

Banned
Yeah and for the most part there is no need to configure. Pretty good game haven't really played for long but it's exactly like the multiplayer for Mass Effect 3.

That's exactly what i thought of! it looks like Mass effect 3 multiplayer which was good. Thanks for the confirmation about the controller.

K.Sabot

I thought the prices were steep until I found out I can sell the items I get.

Stealthing at the beginning of a level feels so good, I wish the game conformed to that style a bit more.

Hagi

That's exactly what i thought of! it looks like Mass effect 3 multiplayer which was good. Thanks for the confirmation about the controller.

From what i can tell though the controller only works ingame not in the hub and i needed to switch to my mouse when hacking. Being a Beta i'm sure this will all get patched in.

luffeN

Played some now and it is kinda fun. It is nice when one player pulls the enemies and has aggro and you can slash them in half because they are not looking at you. 3 missions so far but all had the same level.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Thanks for the tip grabbed a key.

Played for a while and took a couple of screenshots if anyone cares :)

Crossposted from the high-res shot thread, quoted for size.

warframe2013-01-0412-6gu8l.png

warframe2013-01-0412-bqub9.png

warframe2013-01-0412-weqlt.png

warframe2013-01-0411-kgqmv.png

warframe2013-01-0412-85cl7.png

warframe2013-01-0412-m9f4h.png

It looked pretty cool, still not a fan of the free 2 play system but I'll give it a try.

EDIT: The download is fast and small, me like.

glaurung

I really like the player character models, the art direction reminds me of Dark Sector.

The rest does not look so hot. The environments are very generic, the enemies are not very varied or interesting. Some effects look good, but the GUI is ugly and the choice of fonts is poor.

jediyoshi

Some effects look good, but the GUI is ugly and the choice of fonts is poor.

More importantly the UI is already pretty snappy and well put together for something that just so recently hit CBT. That stuff is usually the very last to get overhauled, you should've seen the Hawken UI before that went open.

glaurung

More importantly the UI is already pretty snappy and well put together for something that just so recently hit CBT. That stuff is usually the very last to get overhauled, you should've seen the Hawken UI before that went open.
Here's to hoping that happens.

The damage indicator font is so ugly it makes me retch. Come on, this is 2013.

jediyoshi

Here's to hoping that happens.

The damage indicator font is so ugly it makes me retch. Come on, this is 2013.

Dota 2/TF2, Planetside 2, GRO, SMNC, Airmech, Warface, BF Heroes, I can't even think of the last f2p game I've played that didn't overhaul their UI at least once before a proper release. Only menu weirdness I've noticed so far is a lack of shortcut to get back to mission selection if you're in any other menu and instead having to just back out all the way from where you are.

luffeN

Nice, I am currently building Cronus and it takes 12 hours lol! Or you can pay 20 Platinum to rush the building process. Do you ever find Platinum in the game or do you have to buy it?

Top Bottom