• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truly Weird Stuff Showing Up in Steam Database (Halo, KOF13, other unlikely stuff)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wait, I must have missed the memo- Halo 3 Steam was a project but then they killed it?

"Dead" as in the listing is inactive, not cancelled. Microsoft said back in March there are no plans for Steam release of the Halo games and in particular a PC port of Halo 3, but then the existence of Halo: Anniversary was also denied prior to its formal announcement, so naturally the statement is questionable.

We're not going to know if the registry listings will lead anywhere until the future of Halo 2's MP is revealed, at the very least. The current service was supposed to die at the end of June, but was given a stay of execution until an as-yet-unannounced date in early 2014.

Edit: It's also worth noting that publishers can make app/sub listings private, which is what happened with Halo 3 earlier in the year, after the rumours broke out. The name updates seem to have had the presumably unintended effect of making such entries public again.

Anteater

I liked Halo 3 on 360, will buy to play again. There are quite a few 360 games I would rebuy since next gen isn't backward compatible and I'm not going to buy another 360/ps3.

Daingurse

Halo 3 on Steam?

Make+it+Happen.jpg

Halo 3 was so hype, beat that campaign in CooP with my brother day one son!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Fable 2 should be ported to the PC and given to all pre-existing owners of Fable 3 for free as penance for creating such a terrible game. ;)

(But seriously, having two of the series' three mainline games on the PC -- one from each end, with the middle entry ignored -- is just ridiculous.)

Fable 2 should be ported to the PC and given to all pre-existing owners of Fable 3 for free as penance for creating such a terrible game. ;)

(But seriously, having two of the series' three mainline games on the PC -- one from each end, with the middle entry ignored -- is just ridiculous.)

Agreed.

It was released during that period of time when MGS (Microsoft Game Studios) and MS didn't give two shits about the PC though, when they went all in with the 360. It was probably the worse case of platform abandonment ever witnessed by a former proponent of it.

Fable 3 was released when they started to "care" again and decided to throw us a bone. Y'know with Steam making it all "chic" and trendy to port AAA releases to the PC once again.

Half heartedly, of course. What was the last proper MGS PC release ever made anyway?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Agreed.

It was released during that period of time when MGS (Microsoft Game Studios) and MS didn't give two shits about the PC though, when they went all in with the 360. It was probably the worse case of platform abandonment ever witnessed by a former proponent of it.

Fable 3 was released when they started to "care" again and decided to throw us a bone. Y'know with Steam making it all "chic" and trendy to port AAA releases to the PC once again.

Half heartedly, of course. What was the last proper MGS PC release ever made anyway?

Microsoft Flight, I'll let that sink in.

Agreed.

Even worse than right now? When they have completely dropped all PC development and are killing off GFWL, effectively killing every game that uses GFWL. I'd say right now it's clearer than ever that MS sees PC gaming as competition for their XBOX brand just as much as Sony or Nintendo. I stand by my prediction that no Halo games, and especially not Halo 3, are coming to PC. MS sees every copy of a game sold on PC as a potential sale for Xbox.

ArjanN

Even worse than right now? When they have completely dropped all PC development and are killing off GFWL, effectively killing every game that uses GFWL. I'd say right now it's clearer than ever that MS sees PC gaming as competition for their XBOX brand just as much as Sony or Nintendo. I stand by my prediction that no Halo games, and especially not Halo 3, are coming to PC. MS sees every copy of a game sold on PC as a potential sale for Xbox.

Yes.
Doing nothing is still better than actively making terrible decisions.

GFWL was in a vegetative state for years, this was just pulling the plug so everyone can move on with their lives.

They can sell the older Halo games on PC and lose no money at all, it's not like anyone is still buying those games on console. Hell, they won't even be on the console their attention is focused on now.

Lazaro

Is Halo 3 on Steam still really being developed? It feels as if Microsoft has ditched Steam and decided to fall back on to the Windows Store.

akira28

I think them trying to ace their xbox division could mean that they go back to pc software focus. That would have to mean games too. They can't be so stupid that they'd only go productivity software.

Lazaro

Why do you think that?

It just seems as if Microsoft is second guessing themselves. Halo is an Xbox franchise and it would make sense for the company to release through their own channels instead of someone else's.

Since the unveiling of Xbox One, Microsoft has been promoting Windows 8.1 as an alternate platform for Xbox exclusive IP franchises. With ex-Valve Jason Holtman now serving Microsoft for PC Gaming related reasons it wouldn't surprise me if former steam builds of Lococycle and Halo have been shelfed or even cancelled in order to help Microsoft's own services succeed.

Although an Xbox alternative to Steam does sound interesting, Steam currently offers the best DRM-based services. I hope I'm wrong though and that there are Steam versions incoming and that those Steam builds are just hidden from public viewing.

If the Halos come out on PC are we allowed to remove them from list-wars and re-write history (the sales and hardware boosts they gave)? (because they're not exclusive anymore). This is to the ppl who say console exclusives "don't count".

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If the Halos come out on PC are we allowed to remove them from list-wars and re-write history (the sales and hardware boosts they gave)? (because they're not exclusive anymore). This is to the ppl who say console exclusives "don't count".

Whether or not a given game "counts" depends entirely on context (and really has basically nothing to do with this thread so it sort of just seems like sour grapes bomb throwing, but anyway...).

If the question is "It's 2013, do you buy an Xbox 360?" and someone responds with "Well, it's got BioShock 1, amazing game, not to mention the best version of the Orange Box... and great indie titles like Braid and Castle Crashers", that's crazy talk. I mean, those things are true, but in 2013 they're not a real selling point for the Xbox 360.

If the question is "It's 2018, I'm thinking about buying an Xbox 360. What are some great games?", it would be even dumber to say "Alan Wake"--because it doesn't have the best version and why would the person pay money for hardware when they have better hardware that can run the game better for free?

If the question is "Why did XBLA enjoy such success compared to PSN and Steam circa-2007/2008', and someone responds with "Microsoft, through their publishing wing and its requirements for exclusivity on a timed basis, secured some great and important content including Castle Crashers, Braid, Limbo, etc" then that makes total sense

If the question is "Which Microsoft first-party titles drove Xbox 360 sales?", then obviously Halo 3 is a strong answer. If the question is "Which Microsoft first-party titles drove Xbox OG sales?", then obviously Halo is a strong answer.

If the question is forward-looking, and someone says "As a PC-primary gamer, what reasons are there for me to buy an Xbox One?" and someone answers "Capybara's Below" that's a bit of a silly answer because we know both specifically in regards to that title and more generally in regards to most independent titles made by devs not directly owned by a platform owner, there's likely to be a PC port. This isn't a guarantee. Rockstar has done late PC ports of everything since Vice City, but RDR never did get a port. Still, at this point, it's more likely that something made in the west is going to get a late PC port than that it's going to remain exclusive forever.

If the question is "I'm a big Halo fan but otherwise I don't like much about Xbox One, do you think the games will get ported", then the smart answer is "Well, MS ported Halo 1 and 2 well after the fact to PC. But then they fell out with PC gaming and didn't port stuff for a while. Still, 3, ODST, Reach, 4, and Wars haven't been ported. So chances are future games aren't likely to be ported." On the other hand, if MS updates Halo 1 and 2, ports 3, and then announces plans to port Reach, the answer might better be "Although MS has ported some of the Halo games, they were pretty late after the fact. So it sort of boils down to whether you're willing to wait a long time and take a chance they might not ever be ported at all." If MS announces that they're porting the whole series and all future releases will be day and date ported to PC, then the smart answer is "MS just announced all Halo games for PC and all future games will be day and date, so don't worry about picking up an Xbox One".

Getting back to your Derrick cross-thread antagonistic quote, the debate was whether or not MS's back half of the generation had a significant amount of exclusive content. The purpose of this question was to assess the wisdom of banking on Microsoft's first party publishing and development to deliver worthwhile content on Xbox One and so justify early investment in the platform.

Derrick replied that it did not owing to weak exclusives in the back half of the console's history, as compared to Sony's output; others challenged him by citing XBLA. He noted that the vast majority of what was available on XBLA became available on PC. He did not address the time lag between ports, although that time lag is getting shorter as the years go by, not longer.

The central crux of the question is "If you're the kind of person that buys most platforms, what's the marginal value of buying this one final platform?"--IE if you have a PC and you are set on buying a PS4, what does the XB1 add to the equation? Or if you are not set on buying a PS4, just set on buying exactly one of them, why should you pick an XB1 over a PS4?--and the answer to that question lies in the value of its true exclusives, not the content that is or will be ported elsewhere. An honest answer to MS's back half of the generation is that retail releases were driven by Kinect (which does include some great titles, but obviously has a somewhat limited range) and existing mega-franchises--Fable, Gears, Halo, Forza. While digital titles remained as strong as ever, Steam and iOS experienced rapid growth in a way that displaced the centrality of XBLA. Essentially most independent games are now available on essentially most platforms after some time delay. Exclusive, first-party developed, exclusive-forever content plays more of a role in characterizing the service's unique value, which is why Sony leaned hard on Journey and The Unfinished Swan.

Although there were some great titles that arrived first on XBLA, and also some great titles that remain exclusive to XBLA, for the most part someone who did not own an Xbox 360 was not asked to miss out on much digitally provided they were willing to wait a little while--especially given that no backwards compatibility exists, and so for a lot of people the 360 exists in a sort of time-bomb state.

Derrick is a very hyperbolic guy, but there's not much in that exchange that is hyperbolic. He could have fleshed out his argument a bit more. If Microsoft makes a move towards indicating that they view the future of Halo as being multiplatform, then it will absolutely "count" for less when considering the value of the Xbox One. I don't expect them to do that in any real way, but it's your question.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So are number changes a sign that its active or is this like before?

Given that it looks like everything in the registry (or everything on the steamdb.info site, maybe?) got an update yesterday possibly related to game sharing, I wouldn't read anything into it. I doubt you'll see much evidence that things are a go until the announcement, if any, comes.

xptoxyz

KOF XIII released.
Not announced yet:
THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002 UNLIMITED MATCH
THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98 ULTIMATE MATCH
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Halo 3
Halo 2 <- Commercial release running on Windows exists.
Halo: Combat Evolved <- Commercial releases running on Windows and Mac OS exist.
-> All Halo titles have official steam groups.
-> Halo 2 Server situation extended until 2014 (see post above)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Angry Birds Seasons <- One recent "changenumber" update.
Quantum Conundrum 2 <- Game not announced. Airtight Games have a 2014 game announced. One recent "changenumber" update.
Lococycle <- Expected on XBLA 2013, not announced for Windows.
Second Life <- Announced to be released in the Summer of 2012, still unreleased. One recent "changenumber" update.

Confirmed Release:
Octodad: Dadliest Catch Beta <-- Greenlit, estimated 2013
The Witness <-- 2014
Yogventures! <-- Greenlit, in beta outside of Steam.

Released
Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition (Duke Nukem 3D+)
Super House of Dead Ninjas
Dyad
Retro/Grade
Angry Birds Space
Fez
Cut the Rope
La-Mulana
Resident Evil: Revelations
Fast and Furious 6 (Released as Fast and Furious: Showdown)
The Splatters (Released as Super Splatters)
Shadow Warrior Complete (Released as Shadow Warrior Classic Redux)
THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII

Ignorable:
Hardware
Hardware (Demo)
Hardware (VIP)
Hardware (Internal)
LucasArts Test App <- Ceased development efforts.

As posted above the "changenumber" updates should probably be ignored as anything major.

Top Bottom