• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance Burning Skies |OT| Extinguishing the Flames of Vitality

rebanner.jpg

srpamanual.jpg

Welcome recruit to your S.R.P.A training manual. Here you will find everything you need to know about successfully completing Operation: Resistance Burning Skies for your Playstation Vita.

Publisher: Sony
Developer: Nihilistic Software
Platforms: Playstation Vita
Genre: First Person Shooter
Players: 1-8

Release Dates:
North America - May 29th
Europe - June 1st
Japan - July 12th
bart.jpg

intelfinal.jpg

We’ve got good news and bad news for you recruit. The good news. Resistance Burning Skies is the first twin stick shooter available on any handheld with full single and multiplayer support. The bad news. The entire fate of the world now rest in the palms of your hands. Still here? Then lets get down to business.

Singleplayer:

Resistance Burning Skies is the fifth game in the long running Resistance series. And on August 15th, 1951 America comes under attack. You follow Firefighter Tom Riley over 6 levels across New York as he desperately fights to save not just his city but his family too. Joining Tom are the Minute Men Militia, a rogue resistance group bent on mounting any offensive to halt the advancing invasion. And this is the big one. The Chimera are throwing everything they got at us from Hybrids and Leapers to brand new enemy units they haven’t even been classified yet.

But don’t think Tom and you will be defenseless. In addition to returning favorites like the Bulleye, Carbine and Auger. S.R.P.A have developed new weapons for Burning Skies like the Mule. A crossbow/shotgun hybrid. Or stolen Chimeran tech like the Cluster fire gun. And don’t forget your trusty fireaxe. For you know, those close encounters.

And due to the Vita’s touch screen. We can now interact in new ways with a shooter. With just a press of the screen you can open doors, melee, throw grenades, and utilize secondary fires for all your weapons. Need to tag an enemy with a bullseye round. Just touch that enemy. Pretty simple.

Multiplayer:

Now we can’t just have Tom doing this on his own. That’s why Burning Skies features 8 player wifi multiplayer across 6 maps and 3 modes. These modes include Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and an all new Survival mode. Survival pits 6 soldiers against 2 Chimera. Now don’t start waving that victory flag yet. The Chimera have the nasty ability to infect which means every time a soldier goes down, they come back as a Chimera. The last trooper alive is the winner. Still think you got what it takes?

Of course we here at S.R.P.A don’t spend are time resting on our laurels. With the advancements in gray tech technology, for the first time on Vita you can infect other players over Near to gain XP bonuses to be used in multiplayer matches.

In addition to the assortment above, Burning Skies comes with the robust leveling system you expect out of a shooter. Level up to spend points on new weapons and grenades to support the load out and play style of your preference.

Finally any proud soldier wants to show off his or her achievements. Below is a compiled list of all 26 trophies Burning Skies contains. But unlike the Grace Administration, we here at S.R.P.A have standards to maintain regarding information. So these trophies have been blocked out except for all the most prying eyes.

Platinum - Earn all trophies
Bronze - Successfully complete level 1
Hidden Trophy - Gold Upgrade
Bronze - Upgrade a weapon in Single Player Campaign
Silver - Upgrade both slots in Single Player Campaign
Gold - Upgrade all weapons in Single Player Campaign
Bronze - Kill an enemy with every weapon in the Single Player Campaign
Bronze - Use the Secondary Fire of each weapon in the Single Player Campaign
Bronze - Kill 250 Chimera in the Single Player Campaign
Silver - Kill 500 Chimera in the Single Player Campaign
Gold - Kill 1000 Chimera in the Single Player Campaign
Silver - Kill 50 Chimera with Riley’s Axe in the Single Player Campaign
Silver - Kill 50 Chimera by detonating their heat stacks in the Single Player Campaign
Silver - Kill 100 Chimera with headshots in the Single Player Campaign
Silver - Kill an Impaler
Silver - Kill an Executioner
Gold - Kill any combination of 18 Impalers or Executioners
Hidden - Trophy Gold
Hidden - Trophy Gold
Gold - Complete one round of Multiplayer

combatfilm.jpg

Knowledge doesn’t come easy. Corporal J. Stevenson died to bring you this combat footage right from the front lines. Use it to get up to speed on story, multiplayer, and features specific to your Vita.

Story Trailer
Multiplayer Trailer
Vita Features Trailer
IGN Single/Multiplayer preview

reconphotos.jpg

Study these photos well recruit. The Chimera come in all shapes and sizes and won't hesitate to send you to your maker.
screensfinal.jpg

review.jpg

Contained within this section are your graded progress reports used to maintain the highest seal of quality.

Gametrailers Review 8.1/10

PSNation Review B

When we had a conference call with most of our “PS Nation Staff” the other day, we discussed this game, and one of the first things I said was “you just know and feel that Insomniac didn’t make this game.” That’s not to say the game is bad, because it’s not, but it just doesn’t have that “soul” that the other games possess. The story takes a while to really get-going, and the lack of audio punch can take you right out of the experience at times, but overall, this is still a good game. I do still recommend it, but just know that you’re not getting Resistance 3. I had a hard time sticking with this one at the early stages, but I’m now glad that I did, as the last half of the game is very satisfying. As I cryptically posted on Twitter yesterday, “it gets better.”

IGN Review 5.5/10

Resistance: Burning Skies has the honor of being the first true twin-stick FPS on a handheld, but it doesn't do much with it. The story here is forgettable, the action is formulaic, and the multiplayer is simplistic. If first-person action is your favorite thing in the world, Resistance: Burning Skies is at your service. Just don't expect it to shine like we know this franchise can.

Destructoid Review 2/10

If, like me, you've been waiting to see how a first-person shooter feels on the Vita, then I can say that this game proves the potential of the genre. However, if you'd like your first Vita FPS to actually be good, then wait for something else, because Resistance: Burning Skies is far from acceptable. It is visually atrocious, interactively vapid and incomplete to a degree that a full retail price is an insult. It's tempting to buy this just to have something new on the system, but good things come to those that wait, and it's hard to imagine anything not being good compared to this mess.

*Thanks go to Goldrusher.

OSHAN

On the fence for this one. I'm a fan of the series but the footage shown so far hasn't been spectacular, but I can't say I'm not curious.

Loving that Japanese box art.

Can't believe this is out next week, always seemed like it was releasing later in the year. Still, that's no bad thing, expecting big things from this and hoping to be sucked into the MP for quite a while.

Massa

Game is about 3.3GB on PSN and the demo should come out next week as well.

Does anyone know the exact time for the reviews embargo? I'm curious about this one.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Reviews for this game should be fascinating. I'm on the fence myself. Would day 1 buy though if I could have the JP box art instead because that's badass.

It does smell PR written.... but at least it ain't pics like that latest AssCreed one! And it was a fun enough read for a pretty by the book sounding game.

Will there be a demo?

Carl

Nice OT, mate.

Looking forward to this. Just replayed Resistance 3 last week, so looking forward to diving into Burning Skies, too. Looks fun enough.

Zoibie

I'm still heavily scepical about the secondary fire touch stuff, looks like it's quite clunky and more trouble than its worth. Back touch to sprint, on the other hand, legitimately sounds like a good idea.

Definitely going to wait on reviews for this one. Desperate to play something on my Vita, but all the footage I've seen has looked middling to bad so far.

Also, isn't it a bit weird that the reviews are still embargoed? I thought Sony first party stuff usually had their embargoes lifted a couple of weeks in advance of release.

It does smell PR written.... but at least it ain't pics like that latest AssCreed one! And it was a fun enough read for a pretty by the book sounding game.

Will there be a demo?

Well I am a big Resistance fan so I wanted to have a little fun with it. I did however bold the print for those who just want the main facts and bullet points.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'd like to pick this one up, but I limited myself to only one retail game this month, and that was Starhawk.

I'll definitely see about grabbing it sometime in the future though, as I'm a big fan of the Resistance series.

Portugeezer

Just because it's Vita doesn't mean it shouldn't be as good as the other games, and unfortunately that seems to be the case.

6 maps I could live with, but 3 modes (two of which are deathmatch variants) with no objective modes is a let down.

I hope the framerate is at least good.

pa22word

Tis a shame they seem to be using Resistance 2 as the base of the gameplay. Regenerating health is such a turn off =\

Will be waiting on opinions of the guys getting it day 1.

Chris_C

I see lots of sixes and sevens from reviewers on this one. Will still get it tho, need more stuff to play on Vita.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I have it preordered but I'm expecting massive disappointment. Pity it usn't a Bend title, like the surprisingly great Retribution...

solarus

All the footage I've seen for this game has been really underwhelming tbh. The single player framerate has been garbage in all the vids I saw, visuals unimpressive and shooting enemies looked unsatisfying as hell, not much feedback. If anyone wants to show me some newer footage showing otherwise please do, I need something to play on my vita that isn't rayman or lumines.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Outside of Doom for the GBA :p this will be the first FPS I play though on a handheld device, looking forward to the experience, I'm hoping it's just a typical Resistance game, good enough for me.

Grisby

Nice OT. Gonna wait on some reviews but its been so long since anything was in my Vita I'll probably pull the trigger. The MP sounds nice and I wish they would have gotten that into Golden Abyss.

lowrider007

Here are some recent videos of single player, spoiler warning of course.

Part 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozKAZALXaJ8&feature=plcp

Part 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yMgYNXfVF8&feature=plcp

Part 3 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w78yXwTrkE&feature=plcp

Frame rate is looking fine, not sure about the weapons sounds, could just be the poor audio on the video though, gfx look 'ok' I guess, I imagine it'll look better in person, as long as the game doesn't get panned I'll be getting it on release.

lowrider007

Preview of the first half of the game here - http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/04/19/hands-on-resistance-burning-skies-ps-vita/

That's the first three levels, and final code hasn't changed since that build..

"the frame rate dives whenever there’s more than a handful of Chimera on screen and some of the environments and characters are rather blocky and lifeless, sadly. Overall it’s not a bad looking game, but it’s not native resolution and it’s not going to blow you away."

Ummm, non native res again is a bit disappointing, especially at this graphical level and still suffering from frame drops :-(, I really think we over estimated the vita's performance capabilities sadly.

theBishop

Banned

"the frame rate dives whenever there’s more than a handful of Chimera on screen and some of the environments and characters are rather blocky and lifeless, sadly. Overall it’s not a bad looking game, but it’s not native resolution and it’s not going to blow you away."

Ummm, non native res again is a bit disappointing, especially at this graphical level and still suffering from frame drops :-(, I really think we over estimated the vita's performance capabilities sadly.

Or Nihilistic is just not a very technically ambitious studio. Golden Abyss is a first-generation game. Compare PSP's first generation games to Peace Walker or Ghost of Sparta.

lowrider007

Or Nihilistic is just not a very technically ambitious studio. Golden Abyss is a first-generation game. Compare PSP's first generation games to Peace Walker or Ghost of Sparta.

Maybe, I don't want to crap this thread up with negative Vita talk, I love the system but something is blatantly holding it back, I suspect cpu, either due to low Mhz rating or restrained use due to battery depletion, practically every 3D game is suffering from frame rate issues and running in non native res, every developer says the system is easy to program on so I'm not sure what else the problem could be, I don't think we're going to see big improvements in the future because there isn't a lot to over come in Vita development like with there was with the PS3 for example.

Apath

Game is about 3.3GB on PSN and the demo should come out next week as well.
Really? Awesome. I know my fears are misplaced, but the way Uncharted controls makes me really skeptical of playing a shooter on the Vita (even if Unit 13 had good controls); so far the system has been 50/50 for shooters that control well. Not to mention it looks like it controls horribly in some press videos I saw. I'm sure it'll be fine, but I just want to try it first.

Other than that, I'm pretty excited to finally have not only a first person shooter on the system, but a shooter with online competitive multiplayer. It's about damn time.
Maybe, I don't want to crap this thread with negative Vita talk, I love the system but something is blatantly holding it back, I suspect cpu, either due to low Mhz rating or restrained use due to battery depletion, practically every 3D game is suffering from frame rate issues and running in non native res, every developer says the system is easy to program on so I'm not sure what else the problem could be, I don't think we're going to see big improvements in the future because there isn't a lot to over come in Vita development like with there was with the PS3 for example.
Maybe it's a mix of developers trying to fit their games into the launch period/trying to port games with engines that just aren't quite there yet for the system (ie. UE3)?

Cornbread78

I'm so ready to go pick this $hit up immediately! Pre-order is already paid off, so I'll be at 10am when they open to grab my copy. I really hope the Single player is even close to as fun as R3, and teh MP can hold up as well!

Go buy this everyone, I want full servers to boost my stats, lol...

Top Bottom