• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBW Rumor: The Next Xbox Has A Wii U Like Tablet Controller With HD Screen, Buttons

And Microsoft will ape Nintendo and Sony will ape Microsoft and Nintendo will ape itself and everybody will ape everybody and we'll just keep spiraling into gimmick after gimmick.

I can't even understand how this shit gets tolerated anymore. It's the sheer and utter complacency of the lowest-common-denominator market. The idiots who will buy anything because it's new and shiny.

Unless the Wii U manages to somehow shatter this industry into a million pieces and says, "what now, motherfuckers?" I will continue to be less and less enthusiastic about this console industry. Waggle until the cows come home. It won't change the fact that you're using suped-up Power Gloves to play your games. Fucking exciting.
You're still gonna get your 2bit "hardcore" games, why are you so angst?

cilonen

Yeah, keep telling that to yourself. If that had been the case, the wii would have existed only for 12 months.

Yeah, and if it was so compelling and innovative it wouldn't have spent the last year falling off a cliff and revs would be clamouring to crate unique, visionary experiences for it rather than shovelware.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, and if it was so compelling and innovative it wouldn't have spent the last year falling off a cliff and revs would be clamouring to crate unique, visionary experiences for it rather than shovelware.

The shovelware argument is kinda old, the Wii got a lot of great games on it. For what it lacked in multiplats, it got in exclusives like Little King's Story.

To each their own though I suppose.

fernoca

The shovelware argument is kinda old, the Wii got a lot of great games on it. For what it lacked in multiplats, it got in exclusives like Little King's Story.

To each their own though I suppose.
Yep. Plus if anything it confirms the fact that both "gimmicks" and "traditional" can co-exist, unlike the "OMG end of gaming imminent" attitude that many like to throw around...every time.

Same way that "traditional setups" died after the trackballs, single joysticks with one button or mouse and keyboard; or heck just as recent as 2005 with "the Revolution".

i'd be up for a vmu return, give us the xbox 720 with a pad and slot for sticking in something like the size and shape of an ipod touch, so a screen while you play and one to take away with you.

*memories of dreamcast vmu*

*sniff*

RPGCrazied

I'd believe it. It all started with motion controls on the Wii. Then we get Kinect and Move. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft and Sony where to copy the Wii U.

ironcreed

Banned
imitations-apple-jobs-imitation-demotivational-posters-1296657114.jpg

Hope this is not true. Just do your own thing, Microsoft.

jaypah

If this is true I'd be cool with it, I'm not afraid of change and it all sounds rather interesting. I'm pretty sure there'll be traditional controllers plus I still have my PC so fuck it, go nuts! People throw the word gimmick around too loosely. Hell, everything is a gimmick then. The whining is kind of funny though.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I don't see anything wrong with a smaller touch screen on the controller. I saw a couple of great mock ups here using the current chat pad. I think a controller that was like the mock ups would be freaking awesome. Even games that don't use the touch screen you could just put a keyboard and let people chat with it. I swear people are so scared of change it is unreal. It is not like this is the move/Wii/Kinect. This can make traditional core games better.

elcranky

Banned
Keyboard + mouse is the regular controller on PC. So, keyboard + mouse for consoles? Would be nice for a few genres too. :p

The only gaming input device worse than a keyboard is d-pad. Mouse, stick, button and triggerare all good. Keyboard and d-pad bad for anything beyond selection.

I'd believe it. It all started with motion controls on the Wii. Then we get Kinect and Move. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft and Sony where to copy the Wii U.
Exactly, avoid having to risk missing out on a market and being forced to catch up late.

I for one welcome the 360 U and the PS4U (lol).

When I see this title, all I can think of is THQ going bankrupt because of their tablet controller.

Whatever makes THQ go bankrupt is obviously worth pursuing.

elcranky

Banned
You have never played a 2D game, have you?

2D games are best with a stick. You obviously never played arcade games and/or are too young to remember when digital sticks ruled. The 2600 stick was a million times better than the NES pad. Game pads made console gaming completely unpalatable until decent stick based controllers were introduced last gen.

fernoca

When I see this title, all I can think of is THQ going bankrupt because of their tablet controller.

Whatever makes THQ go bankrupt is obviously worth pursuing.
Depends. What made them go bankrupt was mismanagement and over-expectations; rather than the actual product. They thought that after the Wii version sold over 1 million; that the same would translate a year later on the 360 and PS3. So they spend a few millions and expected to recover even more millions. When said millions didn't returned; after they spent so many in that and other things; of course they had problems.

Best post in this whole worthless argument and, of course, no one responds to it.

I've been saying variations of this in threads like this for a while now. That was the most concise, but what can I say? People like hyperbole.

Thanks for the props by the way. Maybe someday we can get stuff through to them. Losing battle at this point though.

I've been saying variations of this in threads like this for a while now. That was the most concise, but what can I say? People like hyperbole.

Thanks for the props by the way. Maybe someday we can get stuff through to them. Losing battle at this point though.

It's a good point, Monkey. I can agree to that. Maybe I'm just stubborn in my old ways. Get off my lawn, etc.

There are two things about this that really makes me doubt MS will a tablet style controller.

The first is, with their big push for Kinect to be how you control things, why suddenly make a controller that is more involved than a traditional controller, and takes away the focus from Kinect.

Also, I'm pretty sure MS would have figured out how the controller would be for the next Xbox before Nintendo showed off the Wii U. I don't think they would suddenly change to that kind of controller after seeing Nintendo show it off, especially with the negative reactions I've seen to the Wii U controller.

It's a good point, Monkey. I can agree to that. Maybe I'm just stubborn in my old ways. Get off my lawn, etc.
And I can completely understand the trepidation.The inherent flaw in any new input is the often blundering failures along the way to either gaining it legitimacy or leaving it as a gimmicky relic of the past.

I like that experimental nature of this industry. It doesn't always pay off like it could, the underutilized Wiimote and exorbitant costs associated with modern technological advancements are two glaring issues coming from this current gen.

Azure J

This thread is fucking saddening for so many reasons. If this is a reflection of either the inability to do something different or realize that options don't hurt game design when you can focus on one out of the many available to you from a designer's POV, then I really am afraid for the longevity of my favorite hobby. :/

Both Sony and MS will have tablet style controllers. They don't want to be blindsided by Nintendo again. And all companies like gimmicks because they're easy to sell.

Next gen definitely won't simply be ps3/360 with more graphics power. I mean, look at the Vita, even that has a useless gimmick in the back touch pad, you think the same company is suddenly going the no nonsense route with the ps4? Tablets, HD touch screens, Move/Kinect is all I foresee.

Rpgmonkey

I'd be ok with this.

Between this and Kinect it should make the system easier to use as a general entertainment device, and I'm always willing to see more attempts at something new in regards to control options. If Sony were to also jump on board and essentially makes this a new standard for gaming controls, it might also make developers more wiling to take it seriously and figure out the best and most interesting way to use it for their games.

In the worst case scenario, it sucks, no one really uses it, and we chalk it up on the list of mistakes and move on.

KevinCow

Banned
This. If neither the NextBox or PS4 have normal controllers, then I am done with console gaming. Fuck it. Handhelds and PC gaming only for me in that case.

Handhelds? Both the 3DS and Vita have traditional controls with a touch screen in the middle, which is exactly what the Wii U and this rumored Xbox controller are. Is there a third handheld that doesn't have this horrible, industry-ruining gimmick?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Handhelds? Both the 3DS and Vita have traditional controls with a touch screen in the middle, which is exactly what the Wii U and this rumored Xbox controller are. Is there a third handheld that doesn't have this horrible, industry-ruining gimmick?

The reactionary and knee jerk responses in this thread are hilarious.

OK, i get it, he is incapable of formulating a reply.

Not incapable I'd wager. Just not patient enough to get into an argument over something he feels you're just out and out wrong on.

Billy has always been cool to me. Accept his impatience and you may find someone you agree a great deal with.

I come down on his side of your disagreement, but I just find analog too floaty or imprecise with platformers and digital sticks unnecessarily large for the task when a digital pad has almost all of the functionality in a user friendly form.

Jabberwock

Neo Member
What if the controller is also a standalone portable console with modest tech?
two markets with the same product...
I think I would like it

You haven't heard of the SplorgenGearBoy?

Personally I'm excited at the prospects of what a tablet controller used in tandem with Kinect 2.0 can do.

It will be a lot of fun watching developers fumble around into something that isn't unnecessarily cumbersome or the gamer definition of gimmick.

KingK

Eh, I really only included handhelds for RPGs, which generally don't make use of touch screen gimmicks for anything more than menu selections. I'm not really a fan of any of the games I've played that use touch screen controls as an integral part of the gameplay.

Also, the difference between handhelds that have a screen in the center and consoles, is that a screen is necessary on the handheld so that you can see your game. I have a TV for that for consoles.

Tookay

Having worse sales in year 5 is a heavy indication you've done something uncompelling and unovative.

That's the standard for "compelling" and "innovative" now? Have you seen most companies' year 5 in a generation? Most of the time the generation ENDS in that time frame. I think the existence of Sony and Microsoft playing me-too with Move and Kinect is evidence that Nintendo did quite a bit that was long-lasting and innovative.

The amount of wailing in this thread would almost be hilarious if it wasn't so depressing as a commentary on the hardcore community's inability to accept change or even consider new options of playing.

EDIT: Or were you joking? This thread has devolved so much into a Luddite parody it's difficult to tell.

1-D_FTW

The amount of wailing in this thread would almost be hilarious if it wasn't so depressing as a commentary on the hardcore community's inability to accept change or even consider new options of playing.

+1

Plus it ignores the fact the industry has been about gimmicks from day 1. The arcades were built on them and all the consoles have had peripherals to varying degrees. It's what keeps it so fun. Nobody has to like them all. Steering wheels with FF? What a gimmick! And I don't think I could play racing games anymore without this. That's what's so great. Everyone can find a gimmick or two they can fully embrace, and the ones they don't? Somebody else will love those. And in the end, growing the industry benefits everyone. The more people attracted to different facets, the better.

But the touchscreen is mandatory! WWWWHHHAAA. Come on. So what if it is? Personally, I think it's a misguided approach to deal with the tablet market and will not compete like they believe it will. But really? How would this harm anyone? Having a touch screen for nothing more than inventory management, maps, and friends list would improve even the traditional games.

elcranky

Banned
I come down on his side of your disagreement, but I just find analog too floaty or imprecise with platformers and digital sticks unnecessarily large for the task when a digital pad has almost all of the functionality in a user friendly form.

That is the fundamental flaw in your argument. Sticks are incomparably more user friendly. So you get superior functionality (through precision) and superior usability (through comfort).

Top Bottom