• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six Siege: Blood Orchid out September 5th, full details

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So I noticed we usually have a fair amount of traffic to the Rainbow Six update threads, but no one made one for the full Blood Orchid info, so I thought I'd put one up even though it's a few days old.

Highlights:
  • 3 new operators (one attack, two defense, detailed below).
  • A new theme park map set in Hong Kong.
  • New cosmetics.
  • Their new servers are deployed, which they say should dramatically improve performance, stability, and network conditions. They're also redoing the physics system to help with this at a later date.
  • They redid how lighting works through holes in the wall/floor/ceiling so that you can clearly see stuff on the other side (images below).
  • They upgraded the skies to look better.
  • They upgraded the reflection model to look better.
  • They're redoing the memory budget for all the maps to make them run better, starting with Kafe. In practice, this means they changed a bunch of textures (images below).
  • The Operators all got a pass to have a consistent memory budget. They tried to downgrade memory usage on Operators who were too high without decreasing quality, while upgrading the models on some of the older (images below).
  • They redid the facial animation rigging on all Operators to make sure they matched the face model of the Operator's face better (images below).
  • Hibana's gadget will be less broken.
  • There will be more improvements to the netcode, especially around hit registrations, released throughout season 3.
  • There's now a map rotation for competitive featuring nine maps, and two of the maps are being removed from casual to be reworked and readded to the game. They stated they're intending to remove some maps permanently from the game due to technical issues, but after community reaction, assured everyone they will be discussing this issue internally and potentially backing out of the idea.
  • You can no longer vote for which map you want to play on in casual, though they intend to bring that feature back at some point in a reworked version.
  • There's a bunch of balance changes and mechanics changes. A few changes are that your crosshair no longer turning red when you're over an enemy, and that debris is synchronized so it doesn't block one person's view and not the other's. There's too many to list here, so hit the link for those.
  • There's a non-exhaustive list of over 1000 bug fixes in the patch notes.
  • Oh, and they completely switched the game's data model, which should shrink the gam's total size while improving load time, visual quality on PC, and future patch size, but also means you're going to be downloading the entire game again. Consoles will load about 10% faster, while YMMV on PC. The download size is 15 GBs on consoles, 26 GBs for standard PC version, and 42 GBs for the high resolution textures PC version.
Source: https://rainbow6.ubisoft.com/siege/en-us/updates/bloodorchid/index.aspx

New Operators:

Ela:

R6_grom-ela_bg-loadout.jpg

elaloadoutwmp3x.png

Ying and Lesion:

New wall/ceiling/floor hole lighting model:

New skies:

Map retextures:

Operator retextures:

Facial animation rig updates:

Thanks for the thread.

And yeah, the link you provided has the huge list of bugs addressed. Now, there is a TTS where some new bugs are popping up as always with this game, but nothing too horrific has been found and they seem to be addressing the bugs in the TTS too.

I absolutely love the lighting changes, both to the glare/darkness issue, but also the more realistic lighting in Kafe.

Some other highlights like:

-New Smoke that becomes impenetrable to see through. Like Counterstrike smoke. Looks uglier, but 100% more practical

-Barbed wire got nerfed. It takes two hits to destroy, and you are like 10% faster in it than before, but you still can't sprint in it

-Sledge's hammer detection got improved. No more breaking half the wall. It will consistently open up floors and walls in one shot.

-Operator balance changes. Hibana is now countered by Bandit even while her charges are defusing. Which makes her a very dangerous pick to use on walls since Bandit can destroy her pellets

-Jackal now pings enemies every 5 seconds for 20 seconds, which is changed from every 10 seconds for 30 seconds.

-ACOGs removed from any and all 3 speed and 2 speed defenders. Only some 1 speed defenders will get ACOGs now.

-IQ no longer marks friendly electronics at all, and will mark Echo's wrist gadget, making it possible for her to find both Pulse and Echo now.

Grady

Might be time for me to jump back into this. The light fix is huge, as well as removing acogs, will hopefully cut down the spawn killing some. Now just get rid of Favela and bring back the 4 minute ranked.

wwm0nkey

I know the lighting will make things look flat and get rid of some realism....but thank god I wont be blinded by the light anymore

sectionse7en

Neo Member
This is great, and astounding to see such life in a 2 year old game.

Really enjoyed the free weekend last weekend. It's £15 from Amazon right now - is it worth me getting only the base game and then unlocking the 25k renown operators as I go, or going for the full season pass? What do people go for? I don't expect I'll play enough to even get 25k within a month or two.

Update: Disc version with Season 2 pass is £32.

Rocketz

Season 3 map list

Ranked (Will follow pro league)
  • Bank
  • Clubhouse
  • Oregon
  • Kafe
  • Consulate
  • Chalet
  • Border
  • Coastline
  • Skyscraper

Casual
  • Bank
  • Clubhouse
  • Oregon
  • Kafe
  • Consulate
  • Chalet
  • Border
  • Coastline
  • Skyscraper
  • Kanal
  • Hereford
  • University
  • House
  • Plane
  • Theme Park

Honest to god I got first world problems with this game.

Before, the matchmaking would take a minute or two (or more!) and I'd be really upset and bored because you couldn't do anything during matchmaking. I even complained the shit outta this: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=218716838

Now? Matchmaking is rapid fast (seconds), and you can access the menu during matchmaking, however now I barely get to do anything in the menu!!

-Barbed wire got nerfed. It takes two hits to destroy, and you are like 10% faster in it than before, but you still can't sprint in it
I think it's 5% slower. Still, I'm fine with it. This and removing ACOGs from 3-speed Ops were good changes.

They also gave a bunch of weapons additional ammo. Gonna be really nice to have two extra mags for the SMG-11.

Can't wait for this to drop. I'm looking forward to trying Ying especially. Her gadget seems really versatile and I can see her being a good alternative to Fuze on Hostage.

nillapuddin

Bought this game plus everything in February (Xbox free play weekend) of this year with my 2 buddies after never playing it before, Our GOTY no question.

Can't believe I wasn't on this from the get.

The new map rotation and removed maps are huge bullshit and thanks god 95% of the official Reddit is hating it.
I want to play Ranked, with all maps, I don't give a damn about the pro league and I don't want to play like them.
The best solution still would be to implemented a third new pro league mode so everyone would be happy, but of course we're talking about Ubisoft.

And don't forget that they want to remove maps COMPLETELY out of the game sometime after season 3. Not every map gets an overhaul. Removing content is big no no. That's not acceptable. If they start something like this because of "memory problems" how will it end? How do they want to continue for years and years if they already have to remove stuff?
I'm really sceptical and I'm a supporter since release.

But I'm looking forward to this patch, it seems promising, at least, but after the failure named "operation health" better not expect much.

I'm little bit surprised on the many positive reactions here.

Bought this game plus everything in February (Xbox free play weekend) of this year with my 2 buddies after never playing it before, Our GOTY no question.

Can't believe I wasn't on this from the get.

Honestly, you came in at the right time. The game wasn't as intuitive as it is now, and operation Health really fixed a lot of issues. Welcome to the party, pal!

-Operator balance changes. Hibana is now countered by Bandit even while her charges are defusing. Which makes her a very dangerous pick to use on walls since Bandit can destroy her pellets
I thought Bandit's electric charges could destroy Hibana's thingie before, so I never even used them on electrified walls *shrug*

Other changes sound really good, especially the lightning through the holes one. And Jackal's updated tracking (damn, it's gonna be much scarier to be on the receiving end of it now).

Edit: not sure how I feel about map rotation. Are maps always going to change in the same order, or what? And no, removing maps completely from the game isn't acceptable. Rework them if you must, but don't permanently remove them.

KodaRuss

I am pretty pissed about them taking out maps in the game. Ranked doesnt need to follow everything the Pro League does.

Season 3 map list

Ranked (Will follow pro league)
  • Bank
  • Clubhouse
  • Oregon
  • Kafe
  • Consulate
  • Chalet
  • Border
  • Coastline
  • Skyscraper

Casual
  • Bank
  • Clubhouse
  • Oregon
  • Kafe
  • Consulate
  • Chalet
  • Border
  • Coastline
  • Skyscraper
  • Kanal
  • Hereford
  • University
  • House
  • Plane
  • Theme Park
#bringbackyacht

I thought Bandit's electric charges could destroy Hibana's thingie before, so I never even used them on electrified walls *shrug*

Other changes sound really good, especially the lightning through the holes one. And Jackal's updated tracking (damn, it's gonna be much scarier to be on the receiving end of it now).

Edit: not sure how I feel about map rotation. Are maps always going to change in the same order, or what? And no, removing maps completely from the game isn't acceptable. Rework them if you must, but don't permanently remove them.

If you used Hibanas gadget on an electrified wall, it would get destroyed. But Bandit couldn't put a battery down on Hibana charges about to blow and stop them from doing so. Now he can, in the same way he can bandit trick Thermite.

legacyzero

Banned
Truly a special game. I met with the devs at E3, and talking with them was a blast. Most of the friends I play this game with were pissed about Operation Health. So I asked the Community Lead and she surprised me with her response:

Just look at any other AAA shooter franchise out there. By now, they would have forgotten about the game, moved on to the next money-grabbing sequel. Wash, rinse,
repeat. We know we have something special with our game and we want it to live as long as possible. What other shooter spends this much time almost completely changing and improving it's game year over year?
(Im paraphrasing of course.)

Yeah, I didn't have an answer for her lol. As much hate as I've spewed at Ubisoft over the years, I will certainly admit that they are making an amazing effort to turn it all around.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Truly a special game. I met with the devs at E3, and talking with them was a blast. Most of the friends I play this game with were pissed about Operation Health. So I asked the Community Lead and she surprised me with her response:

(Im paraphrasing of course.)

Yeah, I didn't have an answer for her lol. As much hate as I've spewed at Ubisoft over the years, I will certainly admit that they are making an amazing effort to turn it all around.

Payday 2 would probably be the best example of a similar amount of reworks. That one is arguably notably more extensive, but it's had a lot more time.

Jarrod38

Still wish in Casual we could vote for the maps or at least as Defenders pick the locations for the bomb sites or hostage site.

Cronnie

Late to the party, but finally picked Siege up after the free weekend, and knowing this patch was on the way with all the fixes and changes coming were definitely one of the reasons I did, wouldn't have bothered if the support wasn't there.

If you used Hibanas gadget on an electrified wall, it would get destroyed. But Bandit couldn't put a battery down on Hibana charges about to blow and stop them from doing so. Now he can, in the same way he can bandit trick Thermite.
Oh, that makes sense.
Plane is fucking awesome, that's why! It's the OG map after House.
Yep, Plane is great. That Kotaku UK's GOTY article with story from Plane actually sold me on the game after months of thinking about getting it. Now, 350 hours later, I can say I have no regrets... and I love sucking as Glaz on Plane, trying to shoot people through windows :D

Renkax

Is the game impenetrable to newcomers at this point?

New players are always welcome :) casual matchmaking isn't impossible. You'll have enough renown to purchase at least one operator to use and by the 3rd match you win you'll have enough to buy another . That is if you are playing the basic edition and haven't bought the year 2 pass

Top Bottom