• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBW Rumor: The Next Xbox Has A Wii U Like Tablet Controller With HD Screen, Buttons

Smartphones and tablets don't have buttons. How hard is it to understand multitouch is meant to cram more functionality into the touch screen because the devices lack any other input methods

So what's your argument here, that multitouch is not needed because these controllers have buttons? You do realize that argument also extends to single-touch screens like the WiiU controller, right? Touch screen "isn't needed" because there are "already buttons".

I just find it weird that you'd find single-touch controllers perfectly fine but multi-touch a no-no, especially considering how the latter is outright better than the former. No need to defend single-touch screens just because that's what Nintendo's doing.

Loofy

-Nintendo DS
-Nintendo 3DS
-Nintendo Wii U
-cheap chinese knockoff smartphones
I believe the Wacom Cintiq uses resistive screens. Not cheap I think its $2000.
Cintiq.jpg

So what's your argument here, that multitouch is not needed because these controllers have buttons? You do realize that argument also extends to single-touch screens like the WiiU controller, right? Touch screen "isn't needed" because there are "already buttons".

I just find it weird that you'd find single-touch controllers perfectly fine but multi-touch a no-no, especially considering how the latter is outright better than the former. No need to defend single-touch screens just because that's what Nintendo's doing.

I wasn't aware that multitouch screens allowed for pixel perfect stylus control.

I wasn't aware that multitouch screens allowed for pixel perfect stylus control.

Uh, the DS screen isn't pixel perfect either.

I love using the stylus on the DS touchscreen, but pretty much only because the screen itself is so tiny. Mashing my fat finger on the tiny buttons on the bottom touchscreen would be awful, but on a screen as large as the WiiU's I'd take multitouch over lack of stylus any day of the week.

Are single touch devices even out there anymore? I mean even my cheap HTC from 2010 has multi touch so I wonder if Nintendo will update the specs once the Wii U comes closer to release. I believe you have to look really hard by the end of 2012 to get single touch technology. Not that a game controller needs it anyway.

Yeah almost everyone has moved on.
Half joking. I do know that alot of professional graphics tablets use resistive screens. Have capacitive screens reached the same level?
Don't know much about those.

massoluk

Banned
Uh, the DS screen isn't pixel perfect either.

I love using the stylus on the DS touchscreen, but pretty much only because the screen itself is so tiny. Mashing my fat finger on the tiny buttons on the bottom touchscreen would be awful, but on a screen as large as the WiiU's I'd take multitouch over lack of stylus any day of the week.

Come on. Let's face it. Like 99.99% of the game out there on ipod touch and ipad use multi-touch for zooming and fake buttons.

StevieP

Banned
Not this stupidity again. Nintendo wanted to

a) make the controller cheaper
b) use a (good, accurate) stylus for various functions (drawing onto people in-game and creating on-screen art has been demonstrated)
c) wanted the controller to be less breakable, which single-touch glass is

That's it. Argument over. Don't post pictures of capacitive sausage stylii either.
It's got buttons and sticks and other crap on it, so pinch-to-zoom isn't really necessary. Would it be nice? Sure. But so would a blow-job-giving controller.

Amir0x

Banned
Well I guess a tablet controller would be preferable to another Xbox built around one of the worst peripherals of all time, the Kinect abomination. But of course they'll find some way to leverage that piece of garbage tech so we can all enjoy another generation of lag lag mini-game compilations with all the depth of a kiddie pool

AniHawk

Well I guess a tablet controller would be preferable to another Xbox built around one of the worst peripherals of all time, the Kinect abomination. But of course they'll find some way to leverage that piece of garbage tech so we can all enjoy another generation of lag lag mini-game compilations with all the depth of a kiddie pool

with the tablet controller as the focus, and kinect built into the system, i think there's a lot of room for some cool ideas. if it's there from the start, more developers will take advantage of it and come up with good ideas, instead of kicking it down to their wii and handheld teams.

There's a good chance this will come true, but with the success they've had with the traditional controller this gen, I think a hybrid tablet/traditional controller makes more sense for the nextbox. Maybe both controllers packed in could be an option.

I hate to say it...but didn't a similar device put THQ in there current financial troubles?

Kinetic or touch controls...please chose one. The last thing I want to do is play a game forcing me to dance while using precise touch controls.

and so continues the never-ending race to see who can come up with the most fragile piece of equipment

Well at least Microsoft can claim something. What's the failure rate on the Xbox360's these days?

KevinCow

Banned
I hate to say it...but didn't a similar device put THQ in there current financial troubles?

Kinetic or touch controls...please chose one. The last thing I want to do is play a game forcing me to dance while using precise touch controls.

I agree. I also hate it when I'm trying to play a simple game that really only requires one or two buttons on the Xbox, but I'm forced to use every single button and stick on the controller.

We should go back to just a d-pad and 2 buttons because I don't think developers are smart enough to decide for themselves which inputs are appropriate for their games.

No, it doesn't extend to that because the added benefits of multitouch over touch are miniscule compared to touch over simple buttons.

Cheebo

Banned
... as someone who uses an iPod touch on a semi-regular basis, I have to ask what folks are talking about with regards to using multiple fingers to swipe through pages quickly.

On most tablets nearly every move is done via gestures. On iOS: 4 finger swipe across the screen lets you flip through the apps you have open. Two finger swipe up near the bottom of the page opens the task bar. Two finger pinch = contract, Two finger expand = zoom..etc. When you just use just one finger all it does is move around the page.

Nintendo is the only tech company out there who hasn't moved on to multi-touch. It's absurd they are clinging on to that old technology.

okenny

Banned
Touch input is simply a viable form of input whose addition would offer really simple solutions to some of the consoles most annoying design challenges and if nothing else present some really interesting control options, especially if its ubiquitous. Anyone who cannot see how this is a beneficial feature is creatively starved and should leave interface and game designed to professionals.

fernoca

On most tablets nearly every move is done via gestures. On iOS: 4 finger swipe across the screen lets you flip through the apps you have open. Two finger swipe up near the bottom of the page opens the task bar. Two finger pinch = contract, Two finger expand = zoom..etc. When you just use just one finger all it does is move around the page.

Nintendo is the only tech company out there who hasn't moved on to multi-touch. It's absurd they are clinging on to that old technology.
But at the same time, how would you make a game like Zelda, better with multi-touch? Most of the examples provided are usually related to "pinch to zoom", "flick pages"; but we're talking about a gaming device and a gaming controller. Even the Vita with it's capacitive multi-touch screen; the games mostly use it for single touch options (like press here to choose this), the ones that use it are relatively simple games and the rest of the multi-media stuff (pictures). While the one feature that many constantly say that makes the games better is ? dual analog.

Then there are the games in other devices that use multi-touch, and usually use it as fake-digital controllers; rather than for unique aspects.

I'm not saying that "lol multi sucks, single is better"; but that they'll probably use/add said "feature" when they need games that actually use it. Not to mention that, multi is not unique to capacitve screens, as receptive screens are possible to have multi-touch. But as always, cost comes first. :p

Plus, there's a thread already discussing advantages/disadvantages and preferences of capacitive versus resistive screens. Which this kind of topic would make better sense to discuss over there, than on a a new Xbox hardware/controller thread. Nintendo "not moving to multi-touch" is not related to the new Xbox having a tablet-like controller.

mhayze

Wouldn't focusing your eyes back and forth between a tablet in your hands and then a TV like a dozen feet away constantly just lead to eye strain? And if you're not constantly using both the main screen AND the tablet, what's the point?

Hiltz

Why would I want to look at my controller while gaming?

- If the game is streamed directly to the controller, then you'll have to obviously look at it, making for a semi-portable gaming experience.

- Making use of a second screen while gaming on the TV can offer similar things like what we've seen on the DS. For example, turning it into an inventory menu, world map, or just a place to relocate the HUD elements o or display other types of menu information that can be more conveniently accessed and viewed by the player. We've also already seen how Nintendo's come up with some creative new concepts for it like with the Chase Mii and Battle Mii tech demos. Some games are naturally going to require us to keep our eyes glued to the touch screen while others will only require us to do a quick glance.

"Also according to our sources, the next xbox will come with a mircowave built into the controller along with a free car wash." :p

I don't trust any rumors saying Microsoft will use a tablet controller along with Kinect/normal controller. Why follow others when they already have the advanced camera for games idea to themselves?

Overdoziz

Banned
- If the game is streamed directly to the controller, then you'll have to obviously look at it, making for a semi-portable gaming experience.
Why would I want it to be portable? I've got my own TV. I doubt this will have any use for most of the users.
- Making use of a second screen while gaming on the TV can offer similar things like what we've seen on the DS. For example, turning it into an inventory menu, world map, or just a place to relocate the HUD elements o or display other types of menu information that can be more conveniently accessed and viewed by the player. We've also already seen how Nintendo's come up with some creative new concepts for it like with the Chase Mii and Battle Mii tech demos. Some games are naturally going to require us to keep our eyes glued to the touch screen while others will only require us to do a quick glance.
An inventory? A map? A menu? Wow, look at all the possibilities.

It's a worse and more useless gimmick than motion control.

Loofy

It's a worse and more useless gimmick than motion control.
It'll be good for offline multiplayer. So you cant see each others screens(except for the guy playing on the tv)

And if nothing else its a wayy better spot for hotkeys. Just look at how terrible it is picking weapons in Zelda, or shooters where you have to scroll through a bunch of gadgets.

This gimmick shit needs to stop.

Are we buying consoles anymore, or boxes that attach to etch-a-sketches? Either make a fucking console or don't.

The Dreamcast VMU thing was neat in the fact that only a few games supported it, and it was usually just a health indicator of some sort (RE: Code Veronica). Now we're going to have to put the thing on the floor and pretend to swing an invisible golf club at it.

Emitan

Now we're going to have to put the thing on the floor and pretend to swing an invisible golf club at it.

Yeah, I wish I could play Halo on my 360 without using a Kinect and just using a normal controller. Too bad the Kinect existing means traditional controls are now impossible.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hahaha, this times a bazillion. Though, I'm genuinely excited about tablet controllers.

Yeah, I wish I could play Halo on my 360 without using a Kinect and just using a normal controller. Too bad the Kinect existing means traditional controls are now impossible.

Just wait and see.

Wait and see.

In five to seven years we're going to be literally begging for traditional controller support to be included in games anymore.

IrishNinja

oh good, the fisher-price meme is now etch-a-sketch, at least something's changed since '05
literally begging

GAF i can't think of any interesting uses for this with my limited imagination
therefore
there are none

Satchel

Banned
Please Microsoft. Don't ruin the greatest controller ever with a screen. Make it an attachment if you have to, like the chatpad.

Instro

Ubisoft was showing off some very unique ideas at E3 with Killer Freaks on the WiiU. Using it for AR stuff is also possible, and would be pretty cool. Separate screens for games like Madden allows players to pick and draw up their own plays in local multiplayer without anyone seeing what you are doing. They could also map hotkeys and extra buttons to the screen. The screen could also be used to improve functionality of the RTS genre on consoles since significant amounts of info and keys could be displayed there, and would make unit selection much easier. Of course this is ignoring all the non-game functions that become available as well.

It's not very difficult to see the uses of having a touchscreen built into your controller. It has proven to be useful tech in the handheld space. Same with have 2 screens, as the DS and 3DS have done successfully.

Ubisoft was showing off some very unique ideas at E3 with Killer Freaks on the WiiU. Using it for AR stuff is also possible, and would be pretty cool. Separate screens for games like Madden allows players to pick and draw up their own plays in local multiplayer without anyone seeing what you are doing.

Have we entirely forgotten the Dreamcast era already? They talked about this shit thirteen years ago and nobody gave a fuck.

We're running in circles.

Top Bottom