• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEVASTATION 2011 | Gaming tournament & convention | October 6-9

USD

Trailer One
Broadcast Team Teaser Trailer

STREAM

Streams will be provided by Level|Up, Beyond Gaming, and Team hAZmat.

http://www.twitch.tv/DEVEVENT
http://www.twitch.tv/DEVASTATIONEVENT
http://www.twitch.tv/beyondgaming

Check here for all three streams:

http://www.devastationevent.com/live-broadcast/

Team hAZmat will also be doing after-hours streaming:

http://www.twitch.tv/teamhazmat

INFO

Since 2005, DEVASTATION has become one of the largest and most respected gaming events in the world.

Convention. Tournament. Trade Show. Event.

DEVASTATION offers a host of Interactive Entertainment and related programming, including professional-level video game tournaments, casual gaming areas, Cosplay and Costuming events, non-gaming and athletic competitions, exclusive product announcements and public demonstrations, artist and press tables, guest appearances, community events, convention and exhibitor displays, and the definitive eSports Live Broadcast in the world.

DEVASTATION will be held at the Phoenix Convention Center in Phoenix, Arizona.

Check the FAQ at the official site for more information.

GAMES & CONTESTS

Fighting
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II
Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Mortal Kombat
SoulCalibur IV
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (singles & doubles)
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
Tekken 6

First- & Third-Person Shooting
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Gears of War 3
Halo: Reach

Sports
FIFA 12
Madden NFL 12

PC
Heroes of Newerth
League of Legends: Dominion (Exhibition)

Note: StarCraft II was originally scheduled for the event, but was cancelled because of a scheduling conflict with the IGN IPL3 tournament.

Music/Rhythm & Dance
Dance Central
Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock
Michael Jackson: The Experience
Rock Band 3

Plus arcade games, multiple cosplay contests and more.

PLAYERS

Here are some of the players you will find on the fighting game side of things. Partial list, expect to see many more notable players participating.

AZ_Greg (of NeoGAF)
Alex Valle
Aris
Chrisis
Combofiend
Fanatiq
Filipino Champ
Flocker
fLoE
Gootecks
IFC Yipes
Juicebox Abel
Justin Wong
Latif
Noah the Prodigy
Noel Brown
Marn
Mike Ross
PR Balrog
Ricky Ortiz
Rip
SaBrE
ShadyK
Tom Brady
Twisted Jago
Viscant
WolfKrone

SCHEDULE

All times are PDT (-7 GMT/UTC)

Note that the below times are tentative. Will update if a finalized schedule appears.

THURSDAY
Preview Night, 6:00 PM – 11:00 PM (Limited to 250 Attendees)

FRIDAY
8:00 AM – 11:00 PM

The entire Event schedule is not completed as some activities are not finalized; the schedule will be updated accordingly.

(Last updated June, 16th 2011)
8:00 AM. Registration Opens
9:00 AM. Event Opens
9:00 AM. Areas open for casuals
10:00 AM. Madden NFL 12, Tournament 1
10:00 AM. Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Tournament 1
11:00 AM. Heroes of Newerth, Tournament
11:00 AM. Mortal Kombat, Tournament 1
11:00 AM. Halo: Reach, Tournament 1
12:00 PM. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Singles), Tournament 1
12:00 PM. BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, Tournament
1:00 PM. Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Tournament 1
1:00 PM. Costume Contest: Steampunk Theme
2:00 PM. FIFA 12, Tournament 1
2:00 PM. Rock! Paper! Scissors!, Tournament 1
3:00 PM. Mortal Kombat, Tournament 2
3:00 PM. Madden NFL 12, Tournament 2
3:00 PM. Michael Jackson: The Experience, Tournament
4:00 PM. Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Tournament 2
4:00 PM. Halo: Reach, Tournament 2
4:00 PM. Tekken 6, Tournament
5:00 PM. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Singles), Tournament 2
6:00 PM. Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Tournament 2
7:00 PM. Rock! Paper! Scissors!, Tournament 2
8:00 PM. Halo: Reach, Tournament Finals
11:00 PM. Event Closes

SATURDAY
10:00 AM. Madden NFL 12, Tournament 3
10:00 AM. Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Tournament 3
11:00 AM. Heroes of Newerth, Tournament
11:00 AM. Mortal Kombat, Tournament 3
11:00 AM. Gears of War 3, Tournament 1
12:00 PM. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Singles), Tournament 1
12:00 PM. Costume Contest: Open/Any Costume Theme (Under 12 Only)
1:00 PM. Costume Contest: Open/Any Costume Theme
1:00 PM. Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Tournament 3
2:00 PM. FIFA 12, Tournament 2
2:00 PM. Rock! Paper! Scissors!, Tournament 3
3:00 PM. Mortal Kombat, Tournament 4
3:00 PM. Madden NFL 12, Tournament 4
3:00 PM. Dance Central, Tournament
4:00 PM. Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Tournament 4
4:00 PM. Gears of War 3, Tournament 2
4:00 PM. SoulCalibur IV, Tournament
5:00 PM. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Singles), Tournament 4
6:00 PM. Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Tournament 4
7:00 PM. Rock! Paper! Scissors!, Tournament 4
7:00 PM. Super Street Fighter II Turbo: HD Remix, Tournament
8:00 PM. Gears of War 3, Tournament Finals
8:00 PM. Rock Band 3, Tournament
11:00 PM. Event Closes

SUNDAY
8:00 AM – 10:00 PM

The entire Event schedule is not completed as some activities are not finalized; the schedule will be updated accordingly.
(Last updated June, 16th 2011)
11:00 AM. Call of Duty: Black Ops, Tournament 1
11:00 AM. Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock, Tournament
12:00 PM. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Double), Tournament
1:00 PM. Costume Contest: Video Game Character Theme
4:00 PM. Call of Duty: Black Ops, Tournament 2
8:00 PM. Call of Duty: Black Ops, Tournament Finals
Last Event. Push Up Contest
10:00 PM. Event Closes

Finals Schedule for Sunday is still under review, once finalized times will be posted:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Singles)
Heroes of Newerth
FIFA 12
Madden 12
Mortal Kombat
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
Marvel vs. Capcom 3
People’s Choice Award: Costume Contest
Rock! Paper! Scissors!

USD

Note that Thursday (today) is just a Preview Night, and that tournament play begins on Friday. I'm not sure how much (if any) coverage the Preview Night will get, but it doesn't hurt to get the information out early.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'll probably check this out. I'm not tourney caliber at any of those games but it sounds like a fun time anyway.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Combofiend
Justin Wong
Marn
PR Balrog
Fanatiq
Filipino Champ
Latif
Mike Ross

Oh, this is gonna be greeeeaaat.

JeTmAn81

For anyone wondering about multiple tournaments for each game, there's an explanation from the FAQ page below. It's an interesting idea, and seems like a pretty good way of preventing friends/practice partners from having to face off early.

Nothing on stream yet, though the schedule says the games have begun.

DEVASTATION is, once again, raising the bar for tournament standards and setting precedents. In addition to every tournament and contest having a preset prize amount, many of the events will have Qualifying Tournaments leading up to the Grand Final Invitational Tournaments on Sunday.

In essence, each of these Qualifying Tournaments are stand-alone events; you can only enter one of the scheduled events for a specific title and there is a prize for the winner. The top players/team in each of the Qualifying Tournaments will be asked to compete in a Grand Final Invitational Tournament. As the Grand Final Tournament is a stand-alone tournament, losses do not carry over and all the players have an equal chance to win it all.

For example: Marvel vs Capcom 3 will have four Qualifying Tournaments, two on Friday and two on Saturday. You can only sign up for one of these tournaments and, the winner of each tournament will take home a gift card or equivalent value in cash. The first and second place player from each of the four tournaments are allowed to compete in an eight-player Grand Final Invitational Tournament bracket on Sunday. The top three placers in the Grand Final Invitational Tournament win a portion of the $5,000 prize money.

To add to that example… if you and three friends attend DEVASTATION and want to compete in the Marvel vs Capcom 3 tournament, each of you can register in a different tournament and NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT PLAYING EACH OTHER! That is, of course, unless you each win and get moved on to the Grand Final Invitational Tournament. This bracket will be seeded as follows:
- Tournament 1, 1st Place Player vs Tournament 4, 2nd Place Player
- Tournament 2, 1st Place Player vs Tournament 3, 2nd Place Player
- Tournament 3, 1st Place Player vs Tournament 2, 2nd Place Player
- Tournament 4, 1st Place Player vs Tournament 1, 2nd Place Player

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This shit is going to be good for Marvel. I hope Marn and Ross compete in it, Marn has definitely been in the lab.

Also holy shit I'm so behind on streams, still got this week's Break and WNF to catch up on :|

JeTmAn81 said:
For anyone wondering about multiple tournaments for each game, there's an explanation from the FAQ page below. It's an interesting idea, and seems like a pretty good way of preventing friends/practice partners from having to face off early.

It's a freaking idiotic idea, it's essentially telling the players to seed themselves. J Wong posted which time slot he is playing in and now all the top players are avoiding that time slot. Can you imagine J Wong, Combofiend, Mike Ross, Marn, PR Balrog, Floe, Filipino Champ, Noel Brown and Clockw0rk who are all good friends with each other having to decide how to seed themselves among 4 brackets?

JeTmAn81

scytheavatar said:
It's a freaking idiotic idea, it's essentially telling the players to seed themselves. J Wong posted which time slot he is playing in and now all the top players are avoiding that time slot. Can you imagine J Wong, Combofiend, Mike Ross, Marn, PR Balrog, Floe, Filipino Champ, Noel Brown and Clockw0rk who are all good friends with each other having to decide how to seed themselves among 4 brackets?

I'm not sure how it could be any worse than just throwing them all into one pool. The big boys will end up clashing at some point, but if they coordinate their efforts they can at least spread themselves evenly amongst the tournaments.

Azure J

enzo_gt said:
This shit is going to be good for Marvel. I hope Marn and Ross compete in it, Marn has definitely been in the lab.

Also holy shit I'm so behind on streams, still got this week's Break and WNF to catch up on :|

You think you're behind? I still haven't seen the Marn-Combofiend salty runback from that one WNF everyone was hyping up like 2 weeks back or so. I'm also sad that I keep missing The Break, shit is soooo entertaining.

Anth0ny

I wonder if meta knight is banned in bawrl hurp a derp

Looking forward to Mahvel. PR Rog vs Justin Wong grand finals calling it now!

JeTmAn81 said:
I'm not sure how it could be any worse than just throwing them all into one pool. The big boys will end up clashing at some point, but if they coordinate their efforts they can at least spread themselves evenly amongst the tournaments.

It's the tourney organiser's duty to make sure that the big boys will spread themselves evenly, or even that the non-big boys get to be bracketed fairly with each other. Now they are throwing that responsibility to the players. What do you think those players paid $35.00 for?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
AzureJericho said:
You think you're behind? I still haven't seen the Marn-Combofiend salty runback from that one WNF everyone was hyping up like 2 weeks back or so. I'm also sad that I keep missing The Break, shit is soooo entertaining.
WHAT? I haven't even heard of that! ...fuck.

I'm really sad I miss the break too, got a late class on Tuesday's and I get home way after it starts. IMO it's the most entertaining FGC stream hands down.

JeTmAn81

scytheavatar said:
It's the tourney organiser's duty to make sure that the big boys will spread themselves evenly, or even that the non-big boys get to be bracketed fairly with each other. Now they are throwing that responsibility to the players. What do you think those players paid $35.00 for?

In the absence of a reliable seeding system, it's a crapshoot no matter who organizes the brackets. It makes sense to give the fighting game community more choice since they know their own capabilities better than anyone. I would assume the players realize their tickets buy them a chance to play in any of the tournaments for that day, but if you want to get the most out of any tournament you still need to actually win.

JeTmAn81 said:
In the absence of a reliable seeding system, it's a crapshoot no matter who organizes the brackets.

But the important thing is that someone is organizing the bracket, that the players no matter who they play against know that everything is fair and they can give their 100%. Them having to decide the seeding destroys that fairness.

JeTmAn81

scytheavatar said:
But the important thing is that someone is organizing the bracket, that the players no matter who they play against know that everything is fair and they can give their 100%. Them having to decide the seeding destroys that fairness.

I don't really know enough about this stuff to state a definitive opinion. It just seemed like an interesting idea at a glance, I might hate it if I went to an actual tournament that used it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im gonna guess that Atlus wont show KOFXIII right?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Will DEVASTATION provide controllers, converters, cables/cords or arcade sticks?
No. Players must bring their own controllers, converters, cables/cords and arcade sticks to use at the event.
Guess I better bring my stick then.

from the pool talk i guess that whole picking thing isn't so bad since they have some nice players in this pool and next pool has Justin ,Yipes, etc (if i heard correctly)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MiniBossBattle said:
USD add gaf participants to the OP.

good luck AZGreg!
Good luck to all GAFers in attendance.

Im also quite busy this weekend and will probably miss all of Sunday and most of today.

scytheavatar said:

Yeah.

Its not hard to run a script on a list of registrants. Thats how most large tournaments do it. They ask you for your region during registration. After that, the organizers go through the registration list and rate player skill level. The script then automatically generates a bracket/pool/whatever that separates players from the same region and players of high skill levels as much as possible.

Its not hard to do and is actually faster than making one manually if you have a lot of entrants. Its baffling to me that such a large event has decided to use such an odd and unfair system.

Top Bottom