• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for a RPG with good class skill customization system

ccbfan

I haven't played an rpg with a good class/skill customization system for a while.

Last one I've played was FFT where you have a bunch of classes, each class has a bunch of skills, and you can mix and match like crazy. Making awesome combos.

Its always restricted to just class changing but linear vanilla skills like disgaea or you choose one class but many skills like most wrpgs.

Or they go half way and restrict the hell out of it like FFTA2.

Any suggestions?

I have a PS2, Wii, DS and PSP.

ALso have played all the FF and Tales games.

TheExodu5

Banned
Disgaea 1, 2

If you're in it for the gameplay, then Disgaea 2, easily.

Both can be had on PSN for pretty cheap if you want them on the PSP. I wouldn't recommend Disgaea 1 PS2 (PSP version is much nicer), but Disgaea 2 PS2 is fine.

oracrest

The weapon/Armor combo's in Monster Hunter are pretty deep and fun to play with, but it's more of an action game, so probably not what your looking for really....

ccbfan said:
I haven't played an rpg with a good class/skill customization system for a while.

Last one I've played was FFT where you have a bunch of classes, each class has a bunch of skills, and you can mix and match like crazy. Making awesome combos.

Ouch - hate to break it to you but you already peaked. Play the PSP port if you haven't

Suikoden Tactics is good but its character based. Each character has an element, team attacks, spells, and a weapon. It more mixing and matching characters then classes but still fun (example: do you bring in a fire element character into your majority water element team because they have a good team attack or don't you... etc...)

Personally its my favorite SRPG on the PS2... but I'm alone in that. Tread carefully!

Ultima_5

Final Fantasy III has a class system. I thought it was a pretty good ds game when it came out. Plus you can get it cheap used.

ccbfan

TheExodu5 said:
Disgaea 1, 2

If you're in it for the gameplay, then Disgaea 2, easily.

Both can be had on PSN for pretty cheap if you want them on the PSP. I wouldn't recommend Disgaea 1 PS2 (PSP version is much nicer), but Disgaea 2 PS2 is fine.

Played Disgaea 1.

They don't really let you customize at all though.

It all basically all weapons base for skills and class for stats and you can't really do any mixing and matching plus each class has their "you should use this weapon if you want to be effective" other than the super majin class which is just a blank slate since he could use everything with S rank. Plus there's only really original attack skills but vanilla other stuff and none of the crazy support/movement/reaction/passive stuff.

Ferrio

Banned
dnd35.jpg

batbeg

Wild Arms XF has a pretty badass job system that's similar to FFT. The game is a little slow opening up but it really has a lot of awesome possibilities once it does, and makes you take advantage of the job mixing and matching.

Negator

Final Fantasy 5 has a degree of customization that works pretty well. Not as deep as FFT, but definitely better than FFTA2.

Nothing beats Guild Wars as far as skill customization goes. In that game you have a class and a sub-class, with 100-150 skills for each class. From these skills you have to select 8 skills for your skill bar. There are 1319 skills in the game in total.

Ri'Orius

Came to say FFT.

Since you've played that, some others that occur to me:

Final Fantasy X-2. It gets a lot of hate, some of which it actually deserves, but I was a huge fan of the class system. Job change mid-battle, heck yeah.

Final Fantasy 5, 3. These two FF games feature a similar job system to FFT. Not as good, though. And 5 > 3 for job system IIRC (haven't played 3 in a while...).

Final Fantasy 11. It's an MMO, but from what I hear it lets you do some fun multiclassing stuff. Might have a free trial these days.

I'll keep wracking my brain, see if I can recall any others. 'Cause yeah, I know exactly what you mean...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Dragon Quest 6 and 7 have a job system similar to the FF games, they are a bit more slow paced and not as varied as FF5 and T's tho... also, Blue Dragon has a very similar job system to FF5.

Boss Man

Final Fantasy XI had an amazing class system, but I'd say it's too late to start playing since the next MMO is coming out next year.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Wizardry 8 hands down. Tons of different combinations that actually WORK, and lots of cool classes/races. One of my favorite games of all time. Just be prepared for a game that (in the beginning at least) is pretty difficult.

Yeah, I was going to suggest the EO games as well. Lots of different ways to build each job in terms of their skills. Not much mixing and matching, but certainly several different ways to build each job, which leads to a ton of potential party choices.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Jokey665 said:
Etrian Odyssey I & II, maybe?

I would stay away from these 2 games unless you like being frustrated and the urge to break things.

I'm not someone who reacts when playing games (I'm easy going) but EO ranks alongside F-Zero GX on the frustration level. These are the only 2 games to get me absolutely pissed...

ccbfan

LOL way too much FF recommendations (Already mentioned I've played all the FFs)

I'm gonna give Wild Arms XF and EO a try though.

I am kinda amazed that FFT still have the best class/skill customization system and the game is like over 10 years old.

Johann

You should definitely check out Guild Wars. Although it is an online RPG, there are no monthly payments required to play and it runs well on a well on a wide range of computers.

You have a primary and secondary class with each class containing over 100 skills. You're limited to 8 skills at a time which adds a major strategic element to the game.

There are also the Wizardry games but it takes a lot of time and understanding before you really start pulling off good class/skill combinations.

Link Man

Banned
ccbfan said:
Played Disgaea 1.

They don't really let you customize at all though.

It all basically all weapons base for skills and class for stats and you can't really do any mixing and matching plus each class has their "you should use this weapon if you want to be effective" other than the super majin class which is just a blank slate since he could use everything with S rank. Plus there's only really original attack skills but vanilla other stuff and none of the crazy support/movement/reaction/passive stuff.
Well, actually, any character in Disgaea 1 can learn any skill. Say you use Laharl (or anyone else, really) to create a healer. If he's standing next to that healer, Laharl can use Level 0 heal, and if you can level heal up to Level 1, then it becomes a permanent skill.

ccbfan said:
LOL way too much FF recommendations (Already mentioned I've played all the FFs)

I'm gonna give Wild Arms XF and EO a try though.

I am kinda amazed that FFT still have the best class/skill customization system and the game is like over 10 years old.

if you REALLY want a challenge, you could try going through demon's souls sticking as much as possible to the classes at the start of the game.

personally, I ended up mixing and matching, but it's perfectly possible to run through the game as a pure paladin, pure thief, pure mage, pure archer, pure barbarian, etc.

You will probably die a hell of a lot in the process though :lol

Takeda Kenshi said:
Wizardry 8 hands down. Tons of different combinations that actually WORK, and lots of cool classes/races. One of my favorite games of all time. Just be prepared for a game that (in the beginning at least) is pretty difficult.

7 is even better in some ways (the class change thing at least). Just play all three (6,7,8).

inner-G said:
FFX2.jpg

seriously.

oh I agree, this IS without a doubt the best option, bar none. The OP already specified he played all the FF games, however.

honorable mention goes to FFXII. Also possible there to have a good class based game, with some mixing and matching.

F#A#Oo said:
I would stay away from these 2 games unless you like being frustrated and the urge to break things.

I'm not someone who reacts when playing games (I'm easy going) but EO ranks alongside F-Zero GX on the frustration level. These are the only 2 games to get me absolutely pissed...

You have got to be kidding me.

EO2 really isn't that hard as long as you're committed and have an eye for party-building. I got absolutely nowhere in EO1 yet I was still able to beat EO2 without a guide.

Top Bottom