• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
ekBP6.png

Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition |OT|

• Publisher: Mojang AB
  • Developer: Mojang AB
  • Designer: Markus "Notch" Persson
  • Platform: Windows, Mac, Linux (Java-based); Xbox 360; iOS, Android
  • Release Date: November 18, 2011 (Windows, Mac, Linux); August 16, 2011 (Xperia Play);
    October 7, 2011 (Android); November 17, 2011 (iOS); May 9, 2012 (Xbox 360)
  • Price: $26.95
  • Where to buy? Here

• Current version: 1.2.5 (April 4, 2012)
  • Current server version: 1.2.5 (April 4, 2012)
  • Official website

You can view the old thread here.

1whmZ.png

Minecraft, the PC Gamer UK Game of 2010, is a sandbox building game created by Markus "Notch" Persson
and currently in development by Mojang, a Swedish independent studio. In the game, players explore
procedurally generated worlds made out of blocks while being able to completely alter everything in them
by removing, combining and placing blocks wherever they want.

Inspired by games such as Dwarf Fortress and Infiminer, Minecraft is currently in the Beta stage of
development, offering two different modes: Single-player, in which players can build their own worlds
without the influence of others, and Multiplayer, in which players can build a community in a world created
by their combined efforts.

The worlds are made up of many different kinds of blocks, from Dirt and Stone to Diamond and Gold.
Procedurally generated, they are divided in large or small biomes, such as deserts, glaciers and dense forests.
What they'll become after players start exploring them, though, is completely up to them: they can turn a
mountain range into a huge sugar farm, or the depths of a lake into an underwater metropolis.

Just like most sandbox games, Minecraft doesn't have a clear, specific objective. The main goal is to conquer
the unexplored world and alter it to your will and have the most fun times ever.

kElot.png

• Play an ever-changing game - updates with new contents are frequent;
  • Explore procedurally generated worlds that have a size limit of roughly 8 times the size of Earth;
  • Build your fortress to survive; during the night, monsters spawn and come to get you!;
  • Build tools, weapons and useful blocks out of raw materials to help you on your quest;
  • Freedom: spend your days chopping trees, mining underground, or flattening an entire continent;

• Be creative: build anything from a little hut to a scale model of the Enterprise;
  • Change your game's face with the built-in custom textures and skins feature;
  • Play by your own rules alone, or enjoy the thrill of the Multiplayer mode;
  • Customize your experience with the many community mods available;
  • Explore new lands to expand your domain whenever you want;

• Grab your old cinema glasses and play in 3D Anaglyph mode on any screen;
  • Enter the alternate dimension called Nether and face its dangers;
  • Create elaborate electric circuits out of Redstone to power your creations;
  • Generate new worlds according to patterns with the seed editor;
  • Play in Peaceful mode without being disturbed by monsters;

• Face endless possibilities!

g99Us.png

Read below for an illustrated step-by-step guide to surviving your first day in the world of Minecraft.

1. Be aware of your surroundings: climb to the highest point close to your spawn point and scout the
    area for trees and stone formations;
  2. Head for a tree and punch its trunk until it turns into a little wooden block you can pick up. Repeat
    the proccess a few times;
  3. Once you have around 10 blocks of Wood, open your inventory by pressing "I" on your keyboard;
  4. Drag the Wood blocks from your inventory and place them in the Crafting slots, just like shown here;
  5. Click multiple times on the Wooden Planks blocks that will show in the slot to the right until all the
    Wood blocks disappear. Congratulations, you've crafted your first few blocks!;
  6. Pick up the Wooden Plank blocks and drag them into your inventory. Then, pick them up again
    and right-click once in all the slots in the Crafting area. Your screen should look like this;
  7. Place the remaining Wooden Planks blocks back in your inventory and pick up the Crafting Table
    you just created. Place it in one of the inferior slots in your inventory. This is your action bar,
    where you put the items or blocks you want to use;
  8. Leave your inventory and press the number corresponding to the slot you just placed the Crafting
    Table in to select it, then right click anywhere on the ground to place the block down;
  9. Right-click on the Crafting Table to open it up. This block provides you with a larger crafting grid,
    that you'll have to use to make most of the stuff you'll need;
  10. Place the Wooden Planks in the grid like shown here and craft some Sticks. But be careful! Do not
    consume all your Planks, because you'll need some for the next steps;
  11. Now arrange Sticks and Wooden Planks in the Grid like shown here to craft your first tool, that
    you'll use to grab the remaining blocks you need to survive your first night: the Wooden Pickaxe;
  12. Leave the Crafting Table menu and select an empty slot in your action bar. Then punch the
    Crafting Table until it turns into a block you can pick up. Do so, but remember: some blocks will
    be destroyed permanently if you do this to them, while others need to be "mined" with special tools
    to be picked up;
  13. Move around and search for a formation of Stone. Your mission is to find Coal, so equip your
    Pickaxe and start destroying Stone or walk around the formation until you find some blocks that
    look like these. Mine them and pick them up;
  14. Once you have some Coal, think of where you would like to set up your first, temporary base. You
    can dig around for some Dirt blocks and make a hut out of them, or dig a hole in a mountain and
    go inside. Keep the base small: you can expand after you're settled. The ideal dimensions are
    3x3x2, with a 2-block tall entrance. Models can be seen here and here;
  15. Place the Crafting Table down somewhere inside your base, and start crafting Torches following
    this pattern, using Sticks and Coal;
  16. Put the Torches you just crafted in your action bar and place them around your base so that it's
    well-lit, like this. If a place is well-lit enough - be it by influence of the Sun or other light sources -,
    aggressive monsters won't spawn around it. If you have the time, spread a few Torches on the
    ground around your base too, to prevent monster from spawning close to it;
  17. Now go back into your base and open the Crafting Table again. Arrange Wooden Planks in the grid
    like this to craft a Door. Put it in your action bar, and then place it in the entrance like this to block
    it. Monster can't open doors, while you can do so by clicking on them;
  18. And we're done! Take shelter in the safety of your new base and wait until the Sun rises again
    while hearing all the terrifying monster noises. When it comes, go out and do whatever you want.
    The world is yours!

byqbs.png

Brazil

cwkzh.png

• Videos

Please recommend me some awesome videos so I can add links to them here!

• Images
    The following images were posted on the old Minecraft thread by:
    Atomski, Calm Killer, ashbash159, Snytbaggen, wetwired and SpinningFrog

ZWNYl.png

• Is there a demo version of the game I can try before buying it?

S97d9.png

The list below only contains most important additions of each new version. For the complete list of game
updates, check this page.

• 1.2.5 (April 4, 2012) - Adjustment; bug fixes.
  • 1.2.4 (March 22, 2012) - Chat history and improved editing; adjustments; bug fixes.
  • 1.2.3 (March 2, 2012) - Bug fixes.
  • 1.2.2 (March 1, 2012) - Bug fixes.
  • 1.2.1 (March 1, 2012) - New map format with higher height limit; new mobs; much more.

• 1.1 (January 12, 2012) - Enchantable bows; support for new languages; much more.

• 1.0.1 (November 24, 2011) - (Server update) Bug fixes.
  • 1.0 (November 18, 2011) - (First official release) Dozens of changes and bug fixes.

Beta

• 1.8.1 (September 15, 2011) - Bug fixes.
  • 1.8 (September 14, 2011) - First part of the Adventure Update.

• 1.7.3 (July 8, 2011) - Bug fixes.
  • 1.7.2 (July 1, 2011) - Bug fixes.
  • 1.7.1 (June 30, 2011) - Bug fixes.
  • 1.7 (June 30, 2011) - Pistons, Shears, stacking Fences, minor changes.

• 1.6.6 (May 31, 2011) - Performance options, minor changes, bug fixes.
  • 1.6.5 (May 28, 2011) - Advanced OpenGL re-added, minor changes, bug fixes.
  • 1.6.4 (May 26, 2011) - Bug fix attempt.
  • 1.6.3 (May 26, 2011) - Minor changes, bug fixes.
  • 1.6.2 (May 26, 2011) - Bug fix.
  • 1.6.1 (May 26, 2011) - Bug fix.
  • 1.6 (May 26, 2011) - Nether support in multiplayer, Trapdoors, Tall Grass, Dead Shrubs, craftable
    Maps, many changes, bug fixes.

• 1.5.2 (April 20, 2011) - (Server update) Bug fixes.
  • 1.5.1 (April 20, 2011) - Bug fixes.
  • 1.5 (April 19, 2011) - Weather, Statistics and Achievements, Detector Rail, Powered Rail, Birch
    and Pine Saplings, Web, many changes, bug fixes.

• 1.4.1 (April 5, 2011) - Bug fix.
  • 1.4 (March 31, 2011) - New logo, tameable Wolves, Cookies, spawn position-changing Beds,
    minor changes, bug fixes.

• 1.3.1 (February 23, 2011) - Bug fixes.
  • 1.3 (February 22, 2011) - Redstone Repeaters, Beds, Wooden, Cobblestone and Sandstone Slabs,
    many changes, bug fixes.

• 1.2.2 (February 21, 2011) - (Launcher update) Voluntary updates, working launcher.
  • 1.2.2 (January 21, 2011) - Bug fixes.
  • 1.2.1 (January 14, 2011) - Bug fixes.
  • 1.2 (January 13, 2011) - Charcoal, Note Blocks, Dyes, Squids, Ink Sac, two new tree types,
    Dispenser, Lapis Lazuli, Cake, Sugar, Sandstone, many additions and changes, bug fixes.

• 1.1.2 (December 22, 2010) - Bug fix.
  • 1.1.1 (December 22, 2010) - Bug fix.
  • 1.1 (December 22, 2010) - Bug fixes.

• 1.0.2 (December 21, 2010) - Bug fix.
  • 1.0.1 (December 20, 2010) - Bug fixes.
  • 1.0 (December 20, 2010) - (First Beta release) Working multiplayer mode, minor changes.

Brazil

ana8g.png

Quote this post to view the addresses.

Neocraft (Ark's)​
This is a survival server.
Click here to check the current map.

Address:

Help the server's maintenance! Donate!

Dynamicsquid Minecraft (Timan's)​
This is a creative server.
You can check the server's website via the address below, which can also be used to connect to the game.

Address:

Old servers:

Here is a backup World file of the old Gafland Survival server, for players who wish to continue
building and expanding it on single-player mode.​

Brazil

And... Post away!

I'll keep this thread up to date, just like promised.

Please recommend me awesome videos so I can fill out that section in the OP!

Edit: And I'll add the server info as soon as I find it.

I just want say that Minecraft is the greatest game I've played in recent times, and if anyone is even remotely interested in the medium, they should have played it already.

I hope it starts a revolution.

(Excellent work with the thread, Brazil!)

Amazing game. I stopped playing awhile back. The various updates made my massive world somewhat unusable. Not to mention my custom texture. I just need to start from scratch is all. So I'm waiting until spring time when school is out to get back into the world.

That or iPad Minecraft.

Some of my best world.
Screenshot2010-10-22at51134PM.png

Screenshot2010-10-22at51122PM.png

Wool

That's a great OP Brazil!

Also, it's only been three days or so since I've been able to get on the GAF server, but it has been a rough wait.

Great thread Brazil.

If you haven't tried Minecraft yet, you probably should. It's a game where there's no core story but it's systems work together in interesting enough ways that lead to either hilarious or tragic narratives.

Brazil

Thanks, guys!

And, by the way, the server owners are going to need to repost the information here (hidden in a quote, obviously), because the old thread is now locked.

pirata

Terrific OT for a terrific game.

Now, when we get the NeoGAF server back up and running, where will we post about it? Will there be a new thread in the community section, or will we use the old comm thread that's been abandoned since online became community?

WillyFive

pirata said:
Terrific OT for a terrific game.

Now, when we get the NeoGAF server back up and running, where will we post about it? Will there be a new thread in the community section, or will we use the old comm thread that's been abandoned since online became community?

This thread will probably be relocated to the Community section (as by NeoGAF rules) once it becomes self-sustaining.

Brazil

Willy105 said:
This thread will probably be relocated to the Community section (as by NeoGAF rules) once it becomes self-sustaining.
Exactly. This thread will be moved to the Community section after a little while.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This game might possibly define this generation. The sheer scope of what its trying to be is unheard of, and we've already got things like that FortressCraft rip-off that are taking the idea and exploring what else can be done. If there's any justice in this world, then Minecraft will be one of the next big game design paradigms.

Brazil

The server address is up.

If anyone here knows how to downgrade the client version from 1.3 to 1.2, please tell me so I can add that to the OP.

rabhw

I bought this game a few months ago and tried to play it and never really "got" it.

For some reason I decided to give it another try the other day...what have I gotten myself into D:

For whatever reason something clicked and I can't stop playing now. I've built a pretty sweet castle with a big beacon so if I die I can find my way back.

My biggest fear right now is actually diving in to the caves scattered throughout the world...they are so scary! Currently working on crafting a full armor set before I delve in to my first cave. Any tips? Bring lots of torches and porkchops? :)

Brazil

rabhw said:
I bought this game a few months ago and tried to play it and never really "got" it.

For some reason I decided to give it another try the other day...what have I gotten myself into D:

For whatever reason something clicked and I can't stop playing now. I've built a pretty sweet castle with a big beacon so if I die I can find my way back.

My biggest fear right now is actually diving in to the caves scattered throughout the world...they are so scary! Currently working on crafting a full armor set before I delve in to my first cave. Any tips? Bring lots of torches and porkchops? :)
Add a bow, many arrows and a bucket of water or two for the occasional lava accident to the list of things you should take with you.

Jasoco

Banned
Currently building my castle on top of a mountain overlooking a desert in a world whose seed is "heaven". This is the life.

rabhw

Brazil said:
Add a bow, many arrows and a bucket of water or two for the occasional lava accident to the list of things you should take with you.

Can you elaborate on the bucket of water? Both of the times I've died so far have been from (stupidly) digging the tile I'm currently standing on, only to fall into lava and die.

Would I quickly switch to the bucket of water and empty it at my feet to turn the lava into a different tile type?

Brazil

rabhw said:
Can you elaborate on the bucket of water? Both of the times I've died so far have been from (stupidly) digging the tile I'm currently standing on, only to fall into lava and die.

Would I quickly switch to the bucket of water and empty it at my feet to turn the lava into a different tile type?
If you dropped the water tile in the lava, it'd transform the latter into something else, yes. Obsidian blocks are safe to stand in. If you're still on fire, though, you can drop a water tile above yourself to stop burning.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
rabhw said:

Oh yeah, basically never ever dig straight down. The water is for when you dig into lava from the side.

r1chard

Jasoco said:
Currently building my castle on top of a mountain overlooking a desert in a world whose seed is "heaven". This is the life.
OK, I'm gonna have to re-try that seed ... see if I can find this desert and mountain you're talking about :)

Edit: Got it! I spawned in the desert this time. My spawn point was just above and to the right of the crosshair in the first shot. There's a zombie dungeon under there somewhere :)

seed-heaven-01.png

seed-heaven-02.png

It's pretty interesting, yeah. Lava pool back behind me, near a great natural archway.

Atomski

Started a new world the other day and began working on a Mole City while listening to podcasts. Game is so therapeutic.

molecity3.jpg

Brazil

Atomski said:
Started a new world the other day and began working on a Mole City while listening to podcasts. Game is so therapeutic.

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af102/Norgler/molecity3.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
The game looks so much better after 1.3. Thank God Notch has decided to add the mod to the client. I'm too lazy to keep updating mods individually.

Is the new lighting really the BetterLight mod?

It seems like it's less fancy than the mod was, although that might just be my memory/the textures I was using.

Yay! Gaming side OT! For awhile at least. I'll stick around for awhile now.

Still waiting to get back in though. After the one update broke Hey0's mod that allowed me to keep it day and spawn items, I haven't been in the mood really. Had such a good world going with my friends also.

I wish they hadn't fixed the bug that allowed wood to burn forever. I made an enormous crater with a meteor in the bottom of it, and all of the trees at the top were burning stumps, so it always looked like it had just happened.

benoit489

Neo Member
Anybody using the Mo' Creatures mod? Running into creepers in caves gives me a good scare, but having a troll come breaking through the wall throws me into a panic!

Atomski

SlamLOL said:
Is the new lighting really the BetterLight mod?

It seems like it's less fancy than the mod was, although that might just be my memory/the textures I was using.

I feel like it is slightly different. Like I swear better light mod made the game a bit more dark for me. This lighting seems just right though.

Gilby

BigNastyCurve said:
Enjoyed the game, but required a lot of effort to get the most out of it.

I feel minecraft is a good metaphor for life.

I'm kinda serious, and I think you could maybe tell a lot about a person by how they play the game.

Awesome OP Brazil! I love Minecraft, and as someone else said, It's so therapeutic.

When I grow up, I wanna be a Notch.

bathala said:
favorite seeds so far 9000.1, gargamel, mojang

damn nice worlds

Gargamel has THE best cave system out of any world I've played. This one cave I found literally has no end that I know of and I've mined 2 and a half stacks of Iron Ore in about an hour from just that cave.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Never played it, but I'm kind of interested now.
What kind of system requirements are... required?

My computer is pretty assy and old these days.

Dragmire

Nice thread graphics. :) And good to see a Minecraft thread back in the Gaming Forum.

benoit489 said:
Anybody using the Mo' Creatures mod? Running into creepers in caves gives me a good scare, but having a troll come breaking through the wall throws me into a panic!
Whoa, I don't know if I could take that.

*goes to check out the mod*

Top Bottom