• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

gs_maintitle090615.jpg

That's right! It's that time again. Arguably the greatest generation of Pokémon has got the long awaited remake. Using the same engine as the rest Diamond, Pearl, Platinum releases, it is set to retain everything that has made all the entire Pokémon series great. This is, and I'm sure many will agree, THE definitive Pokémon title.

Release Dates

Japan - 09/12/09
US - OUT NOW

Europe - Spring 2010

Relevant Links/Websites

Official Japanese Pokémon Site
Official Trailers
Bulbapedia
Serebii.net
NeoGAF Pokémon Platinum Thread
NeoGAF Pokémon Diamon/Pearl Thread

Game Details

In the same vein as the Pikachu in Pokémon Yellow, HeartGold and SoulSilver will allow any Pokémon the player owns to follow him or her in-game on the overworld. The player may talk to the Pokémon, and occasionally it may pick up secret items.

In Japan, the games will be bundled with a peripheral called the Poké Walker, a pedometer that resembles a Poké Ball which can connect to the Nintendo DS game card via infrared signals (in a fashion similar to another Nintendo DS game Personal Trainer: Walking) and can "hold" a Pokémon. Walking with a Poké Walker holding a Pokémon will increase both its experience and closeness, as well as the player's "watts", an in-game currency that can be used to catch wild Pokémon and shop for items. Despite the device being included with every game, Nintendo announced that the games would carry standard pricing (around ¥4,800 in Japan).

BoxArt

2u4k8p3.jpg

Changes from Pokémon Gold and Silver

Aesthetic changes

* Gold receives a redesign while a new player character apparently replaces Kris.
* The DS's 3D capabilities are utilized in selecting the starter Pokémon.
* The PokéGear has been redesigned. Now, it features two designs, one blue and white for males and another white and pink for females.
* Much like Kanto's was for its remakes, Johto's Pokédex has been redesigned. Unlike Kanto's remakes, which contained the same regional Pokédex as the originals, the original regional Pokédex for Johto has been slightly altered, presumably to exclude Kanto-exclusive Pokémon such as Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle and to include Generation IV evolutions for Johto Pokémon.
* An image of certain locations, similar to that of FireRed and LeafGreen, appears when entering the location.
* Team Rocket Grunts are designed like they were in FireRed and LeafGreen.
* Rocket Executives are also redesigned from Generation II, with four different characters appearing in the games' intro. It is unknown as of yet if they have names.
* Ho-Oh and Lugia have their own battle music (they used the standard wild battle music in all Generation II games), while the legendary beasts use a remixed version of their battle theme from Pokémon Crystal.
* Kurt and Apricorns make a return to the series along with their respective Poké Balls. Apricorns can now be carried by the player in their own bag with a new item, the Apricorn Case.
Location changes

* Elm's Lab has an upstairs level.
* Maps have been remade to match the design style used in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum.
* The Battle Tower west of Olivine City, introduced in Pokémon Crystal, returns, bringing with it an entire new Battle Frontier.
* A new area to the west of Cianwood City is a Safari Zone.

Gameplay changes

* All 493 Pokémon are capable of following the player similar to Pikachu in Yellow. CoroCoro showed examples of several examples including Steelix and Wobbuffet. Shininess is apparently retained. In battle, like Yellow's Pikachu, they are sent out from the side of the screen, rather than from a Poké Ball.
* Similarly to the event Shaymin and Regigigas's effect on Platinum, the Pikachu-colored Pichu to be given to those who have pre-ordered tickets to the twelfth movie will unlock an event near the Ilex Forest Shrine featuring the Notched-ear Pichu.
* The Pokémon storage system, bag, party interface and the screen that pops up when pressing the Start or X buttons in the previous games all use the Nintendo DS's touch screen.
* Groudon and Kyogre will appear in SoulSilver and HeartGold, respectively, after the Elite Four, and Rayquaza can be caught in both games once the other members of its trio are brought into the game.
* Cynthia and Arceus are shown together in a new section of the Ruins of Alph named the Shinto Ruins. This event will allow players to obtain either Dialga, Palkia, or Giratina at level 1.
* Eusine, a major character from Pokémon Crystal who was not in the original Gold and Silver, appears, as do other aspects originally featured in Crystal.
* A new sidequest, the Pokéthlon, will feature ten mini-games that pit Pokémon in athletic competitions. Its system appears to be analogous to that of Contests from previous games.
* Using the Apricorn Shaker, Apricorns can now also be mixed into drinks that increase Pokémon's Pokéthlon stats.
* Berries can be grown portably using the Berry Planter, where the Squirtbottle is controlled via the touch screen to water four Berries at a time. It is currently unknown where Berries can be obtained in the first place, but it appears that they do not grow on the trees where their Generation II counterparts were found, as those are used for growing Apricorns.

Starter Pokémon

Chikorita

img_pokemon_index_01.png
img_pokemon_index_02.png
img_pokemon_index_03.png

Johto Map

img_story_01_01.jpg

Starter Trainers

img_character_main01.jpg

Screenshots

img_story_01_04.jpg
img_story_01_05.jpg
img_story_01_06.jpg
img_intro_inst01_01.jpg
img_intro_inst01_02.jpg
img_intro_inst01_03.jpg
img_intro_inst01_04.jpg
img_intro_inst01_05.jpg

Comparison Pic

New Bark Town:

Goldandsoul.png
-----------------
Pokemon-GSC-Johto-NewBarkTown.png

PokéWalker

Pok%C3%A9Walk.png

Fancy Getting Competitive!?
Well this is the thread to do so. Go in if you dare!

Hot Gold, Second Silver
HOLY SHIT Gold, So close Silver
I am Captain Planet Gold, I am Captain Crunch Silver

The only thing that I ask for in this game is for a Red rematch with LVL 90+ Pokemon. That's all I need to declare this the perfect Pokemon game. Without it, it'll still be the best Pokemon game to date, but not "perfect".

ZeroRay

InsaneZero said:
Hot Gold, Second Silver
HOLY SHIT Gold, So close Silver
I am Captain Planet Gold, I am Captain Crunch Silver

The only thing that I ask for in this game is for a Red rematch with LVL 90+ Pokemon. That's all I need to declare this the perfect Pokemon game. Without it, it'll still be the best Pokemon game to date, but not "perfect".

Silver is and always will be superior. Also all of Red's Pokemon should be at lvl 100.

wrowa

After the announcement of HG/SS I started playing Pokemon Platinum (my first game of the series since, well, Silver) and I had to realize that I'm really tired of the Pokémon fomula. So, I guess I will pass :/

Azure J

Fuck yes, I can get behind the Silver love. :lol

Still looks like I'm going to wait out a localization for this one though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
InsaneZero said:
Red + Leaf double battle IMO. Even better if they used a full set of 12.

Ondore

Posted this in the old thread but it's probably gone by now: New trailers at filb.de and PokeBeach.

Headbutting confirmed, honey trees dead. And there was much rejoicing.

thaOwner

Finally. Something to look forward to on the DS after that long drought over the past few weeks or so. I will import this.

mjc

So this will have all of the first 150 Pokemon in it right? Like can I catch/acquire Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charmander in game without having to trade for them?

DiGi-C

Banned
Looks amazing, D/P didn't really do it for me, I guess that by the 4th iteration the story seemed a bit like a used tea bag, it'll still make tea but is it really worth it?

Still, I'm hoping these remakes don't get lost in translation, it'd be a shame to spoil. But I wonder how the poké thing will integrate and if it will be a world wide thing and not some cool Japanese only ting...

OMG Aero

Sixfortyfive said:
Red + Leaf double battle IMO. Even better if they used a full set of 12.
I don't think you know how double battles work.
The only way for them to use 12 Pokemon is if you battle them individually one after another.
mjc said:
So this will have all of the first 150 Pokemon in it right? Like can I catch/acquire Bulbasaur/Squirtle/Charmander in game without having to trade for them?
Nope.

Sixfortyfive

OMG Aero said:
I don't think you know how double battles work.
The only way for them to use 12 Pokemon is if you battle them individually one after another.
It's not how they normally work, but it is how some story mode double battles work. See: Hero + Rival vs Galactic Admins on Mt. Coronet and Hero + Rival vs Flint + Volkner at the Battle Frontier. In both cases, the player side gets a combined 12 Pokemon while the CPU side only gets 6.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh, wow the Japanese version is so close to release. People need to show Kanto in DS graphics. The only reason I give a damn about this release.
Kanto > Johto > other two regions

lopaz

Banned
4th generation evolutions... so there's shitty new ones in this? Bah. Also, Lugia is the down syndrome legendary pokemon, so Gold is better

Rpgmonkey

I want to import this so bad, but no time (and more importantly, money) right now. :lol

I'll pick it up in a few months though.

Oh, and Gold Defense Force unite!

TreIII

Door2Dawn said:
Totodile, the only choice for a starter.

This is my answer, too! Love that lil Crocodile... :D

And yeah, Silver is my choice this time around, just like it was so many moons ago...

Sixfortyfive

I don't understand people who import text-heavy games that are guaranteed to be localized.

Also: grass starter now, grass starter forever.

ReiGun

This Gold/Silver fighting is silly since Crystal was better than either. Though I guess that doesn't matter since that color isn't available with these remakes. :( So when it gets to the US, Silver it is, I guess. I'll just have to catch Suicune, make it follow me, and pretend. :( As for my starter, I dont know. I never much cared for the 2 gen starters.

beje

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
I don't understand people who import text-heavy games that are guaranteed to be localized.

Also: grass starter now, grass starter forever.

There is a word: impatience

Top Bottom