• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zzzquil/NyQuil: What is this stuff and does it work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, fuck, can't sleep, stay up until late in the afternoon, shit's gotta get done but I'm sleeping through it.

Keep hearing about Zzzquil and how it's a miracle drug. Anyone on GAF have any experience with this stuff? When should I take it? Is it bad for you.

I think it's just diphenhydramine, the same drug that's in every sleeping pill and Tylenol PM, etc. It might be habit forming, but taking it one or two nights definitely won't hurt you.

I think it's just diphenhydramine, the same drug that's in every sleeping pill and Tylenol PM, etc. I might be habit forming, but taking it one or two nights definitely won't hurt you.

If I take it at around 9-ish will my sleep pattern reset? My brains hard wired to sleep at a certain time after awhile.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Never tried ZzzQuil. But if it works like nyquil, take it about 30 minutes before sleeping

Only take nyquil if you're sick (like me right now)

dekline

Their website says diphenhydramine. Unless zzzquil is also some sort of slang term for some other drug. *shrug*

"When using other DayQuil® or NyQuil® products, carefully read each label to ensure correct dosing.
INGREDIENTS
Active Ingredients (in each 30 mL dose cup) (Purpose)

Acetaminophen 650 mg (Pain reliever/fever reducer)

Dextromethorphan HBr 30 mg (Cough suppressant)

Doxylamine succinate 12.5 mg (Antihistamine)"

From the website.

Maybe we're looking at two different things? idk

Oh my bad, I didn't think zzzquil was an actual...thing. I just remember nyquil's knockout power came from doxy, which is a stronger antihistamine than diphen...

It's my bad too, since the thread title is 'Zzzquil/Nyquil' and I never specified that I was talking about zzzquil. I actually thought that Nyquil was the same as Benadryl this whole time, but I guess it's not.

bjork

Unisom + Pain Relief is my new favorite for OTC. Nothing has come close to temazepam though, that stuff was godly.

Watch a Joel-era episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

That isn't a knock on Joel mind you. He's just so laid back and the movies are so bad that it makes me sleepy.

J-Rod

I think diphenhydramine is just benedryl. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy off brand OTC sleep medicine if want benedryl allergy medicine.

gwarm01

Diphenhydramine is the ingredient in Unisom and Benadryl. Just grab whatever is cheaper honestly. I usually pick up the generic allergy version just because it tends to be cheaper.

I always did think it was funny that 25mg of diphenhydramine from the same manufacturer costs different amounts based on what the box says it does.

AVclub

I had a throat infection yesterday so I did a doubleshot of tequila to kill the germs. Then an hour later I took two Nyquil liqui-gel capsules. This did not put me to sleep. Usually, the liquid form knocks me right out though. It just tastes gross.

3N16MA

Banned
I stay away from most medications when I have a cold but the one time I did buy a bottle it never made me drowsy.

I just took a good swig of NyQuil again tonight. I have bad insomnia but sometimes NyQuil doesn't work like I want. Last night I took quite a bit and ended up tossing and turning and having dreams about Dead Space 3 DLC when I did fall into a short slumber.

What kicks in for you with NyQuil, btw, is the Diphenhydramine and the Dextromethorphan. The latter is what makes some people "trip" as it disassociates you.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I should've taken Nyquil tonight but I've got to be up in a little over six hours and it's probably too late for that. Looks like another night of tossing and turning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom