• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

Yup, I’m now one of the very rare cases of having a Playstation 3 go kaput.
It happened last night while I was using the internet on it; I heard a loud POP and then no power. I plugged it into a different outlet, checked the cables, flicked its power switch off and then back on, etc. and nothing would bring it back. I knew it was fatal but I did those things anyway because the manual said to in the troubleshooting and I knew the person I talked to on the phone would ask if I had done that stuff.

I called the support number last night but they were closed already so I called them today on it but had to do it from work which turned out not to be real helpful because they won’t do much for you unless you are standing right there in front of the PS3 which is understandable. They needed the model number and serial number off of it regardless which is something I did not have on me.

I spoke with someone named Martha who was fairly nice but wanted to put some blame on my monoprice.com HDMI cable. :lol “I would be really leery of those” she kept saying.
She asked me questions like if I had experienced any trouble lately, was I using the latest firmware, did the PS3 come into contact with water, etc. I told her that I was probably an advanced user whenever she seemed surprised that I knew what I was doing. She said that she was used to taking calls from upset people calling whenever they set their display settings wrong and needed help. She hadn’t taken many calls on actual hardware failure.

Here’s what sucks, the disc for Oblivion is still in the PS3. I asked her about that and she said she wasn’t sure how I’d get it back but she said that they would definitely note it whenever I called back later today from home. She said she knew those games were expensive so they would do something about it. “Do you know the name of the game?” she asked me.

It also sucks that I lost what data I had on my HDD, including my 30+ hour save game for Oblivion. At least with the thought of starting over I really know what I’m doing and will get caught back up rather quickly. I guess this solves my issue of curing Vampirism though. I knew I should have backed my saves and system data onto my USB memory stick. At least I was running my music from an external USB HDD so no loss there.

Anyway, I’ll update tomorrow on the events of calling them from home tonight.

Oni Jazar

Be careful fool! When they ask you what cables/peripherals you're using always say "the official one". :p

Oh and what makes you say you lost your save data? You should be able to use the HD on a new PS3.

Eteric Rice

Yeah, like the above said, if they ask you about ANYTHING, make sure you said it's made by Sony, even if it isn't. If you tell them you have something third party hooked up, they could basically say that was the cause and void your warrenty.

Lesson # 1: When they ask what peripheral you were using, say you were using the AV Cables provided with PS3, cause if you say you were using cables/accessories NOT provided by Sony, they will blame it on it, and if you lie and say that you were using the Official Sony Component Cables or HDMI cables, they will ask you to bring it down, so its better to give what you own... (EDIT: Beaten)

Sorry to hear about your loss. Yes, i do have a feeling that the new update has some bugs, so i hope they fix it. The latest update stopped recognizing my external USB HDD, which kinda sucks...

Bad_Boy said:
A loud "POP"? Damn that sucks. Sorry to hear.
Yeah, it was running when it happened, I was using the internet on it and just running the web browser. But it was a very loud POP noise, no smoke or anything. But I *assume* the power supply went out in it.

Oni Jazar said:
Be careful fool! When they ask you what cables/peripherals you're using always say "the official one". :p

Oh and what makes you say you lost your save data? You should be able to use the HD on a new PS3.

Quoted for emphasis. They can outright rebuke your service if you say you used third party cabling.

blindrocket said:
Yeah, it was running when it happened, I was using the internet on it and just running the web browser. But it was a very loud POP noise, no smoke or anything. But I *assume* the power supply went out in it.

It's definitely a power surge then (or a rare case of POP-o-folia), considering i know people who hardly turn their console off, and also, alot of people had their console running for 72+ hours when Folding@Home released...

EDIT: I know the console is dead, but did you try plugging in the AV Cables provided with PS3. Also, did the console provided the POP sound or did you hear it from the speakers?

theBishop

Banned
My friend is having problem with the Blu-Ray drive in his PS3, that's the first time i heard of any trouble with the system.

As for your data, you should ask the operator if you can keep your hard drive so you can put it into the replacement model.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Sounds like an electrical spike.

Things don't just go pop. BTW you have not lost anything on the hard drive, you can easily take it out and put it on the new PS3 they give you. Removing the disc is possible but a pain to do. Google search ps3 disassembly.

The Jer

That sucks.
So, you're sure you won't get the HDD back with your save files?
Too bad you didn't have your save files backed up onto a flash drive or something. At least you're playing games, so you can have fun getting those saves back.

spwolf

Mojovonio said:
Seriously, I think you're the only person that has posted about a dead PS3. Those things must be tanks.

i have seen few close to the launch on other forums, but yeah, very low numbers...

Main thing is to say that you used only official cables and everything else when you talk to support...

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Mojovonio said:
Seriously, I think you're the only person that has posted about a dead PS3. Those things must be tanks.
BlimBlim had one die like back in November, BobTheFork had one die a few weeks ago, but other than that I haven't really heard much about them dying. So yeah, overall it seems they are pretty well built/designed.

Mojovonio

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
BlimBlim had one die like back in November, BobTheFork had one die a few weeks ago, but other than that I haven't really heard much about them dying. So yeah, overall it seems they are pretty well built/designed.

Even overall, there's no FUD on the net about dying PS3s whenever a new game comes out.

Makes me much more secure in buying one.

It may have been a surge, but I have it plugged into a surge protector. The lights didn’t flicker and neither did the HDTV, so I dunno about that honestly.
Hopefully they don’t **** me over because I said I used a third party cable… dammit.

Surely they will send me my disc back, right?

Raist

Banned
theBishop said:
My friend is having problem with the Blu-Ray drive in his PS3, that's the first time i heard of any trouble with the system.

As for your data, you should ask the operator if you can keep your hard drive so you can put it into the replacement model.

I thought HDD's had a "signature" linking them to a given system. That's what i've read tho, dunno if it's true.

No need to tell them you're not using a non-Sony cable/accessory if it is non-proprietary and based on an industry standard (like HDMI, USB, Bluetooth, etc).

She didn’t say I *had* to use a Sony cable, but she did ask if they were Monster Cables which I said no they were not. She said that I should have bought them from a store where I could easily return them.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Mojovonio said:
Even overall, there's no FUD on the net about dying PS3s whenever a new game comes out.

Makes me much more secure in buying one.
To be fair, GRAW2 isn't out on the ps3 yet. ;)

just joking :p It's indeed nice not worrying about playing a certain game and having your ps3 die.

Mojovonio

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
To be fair, GRAW2 isn't out on the ps3 yet. ;)

just joking :p It's indeed nice not worrying about playing a certain game and having your ps3 die.

Is GRAW 2 really a system killer?

That's one of the only games my 360 had no trouble with.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Mojovonio said:
Is GRAW 2 really a system killer?

That's one of the only games my 360 had no trouble with.
I'm not sure, I think ubisoft put out something regarding it but I think it was kinda blown out of proportion.

M3Freak

Banned
blindrocket said:
Yup, I’m now one of the very rare cases of having a Playstation 3 go kaput.
It happened last night while I was using the internet on it; I heard a loud POP and then no power. I plugged it into a different outlet, checked the cables, flicked its power switch off and then back on, etc. and nothing would bring it back. I knew it was fatal but I did those things anyway because the manual said to in the troubleshooting and I knew the person I talked to on the phone would ask if I had done that stuff.

Loud pop usually means:

1. Capacitor exploded
2. Fuse blew.

Capacitors exploding make a lot of noise, so I don't think it's that. A fuse blowing typically sounds like a "pop".

I don't know if the PS3 has any fuses in it. If it does, I'll be impressed: a fuse is put into good quality electronics to save the equipment from destruction in the event of a power spike.

I had a fuse blow in my $2300 sub (for my home theatre). Before I got it fixed I thought the motherboard was gone (i.e. a capacitor exploded). I just couldn't be sure becase it was my sister that heard the sound, and she described it as a loud pop. I did a bit of research and found out that the sub had a fuse, so I hoped that the pop was just the fuse. The manufacturer confirmed my suspicons and they replaced it for free. Yeah! Even if they had charged me, it would been abouut $25 CAD to repair.

Your HD is fine dude - it didn't explode. If the PS3 is shot, they should just swap your HD into the new one. You should also get your game back.

Just make sure the CSR makes a note of all this and hopefully things work out. Customer service is way too hit and miss these days.

nny

Bad_Boy said:

so, it's the nicknames starting with "b" apparently.

TiVo

blindrocket said:
I heard a loud POP and then no power.

Happened to me too. I called Sony Tech Support about this and they said the popping sound and power outtage is normal happenstance. Told me to send them $599 for repairs and they will send me a brand new spanking machine.

M3Freak said:
Your HD is fine dude - it didn't explode. If the PS3 is shot, they should just swap your HD into the new one. You should also get your game back.
I would hope so, but "Martha" told me there wasn't a way for me to get it back. I hope she was wrong and when I call back today they will tell me they will swap it for me.

Ranger X

Jeez that doesn't sound like an Hard Drive or Drive problem at all.
MAKE SURE you get back your game and your Hard Drive. It's removable for a reason god damnit.

TiVo said:
blindrocket said:

Happened to me too. I called Sony Tech Support about this and they said the popping sound and power outtage is normal happenstance. Told me to send them $599 for repairs and they will send me a brand new spanking machine.
BS
I'd probably become ill if they told me that.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Bad_Boy said:
Yeah can you imagine I had the dubious honor have being the first one on GAF to have a dead PS3, but also the first one with a dead 360?
Try beating that! :(

Blimblim said:
Yeah can you imagine I had the dubious honor have being the first one on GAF to have a dead PS3, but also the first one with a dead 360?
Try beating that! :(
Did you have a game in the drive you couldn’t get out? If so, what did they do to get it back to you?

tanod

when is my burrito
Lagaff said:
Fold break Ps3?

If you read the Folding thread, you would know there are a few people on GAF with PS3s that have been running 24/7 since launch with no problems.

Mine has been on almost all the time since the 1.6 update. Only turn it off during thunderstorms. It's under warranty anyway.

Bob had a BluRay drive problem and I think one other person has as well but this is the first I've heard of any popping noises.

The console also has built in heat protection where it will automatically shut off if it gets close to a component-damaging temp.

Don't know what to suggest regarding your copy of Oblivion (just make sure to keep repeating to them that the disc is stuck in the drive and unable to be ejected, so that they note it in the repair form). For the HDD, though, I'd suggest removing it and hooking it into a friend's PS3, then using a USB key to back up your PS3 and PS3 savegames. My first PS3 died (it got lockup-prone for some unknown reason), and I backed up everything onto my PC, and when my replacement came, just copied it onto the new HDD. No harm, no foul. I did have to re-download my PSN Store items, but that was no big deal.

I'm not sure if the PS3 partition is visible if you hook up the HDD directly to your PC, but that might be worth a try too.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
blindrocket said:
Did you have a game in the drive you couldn’t get out? If so, what did they do to get it back to you?
Nah, mine crashed after 10-15 minutes, and would work again after a few hours. So I had no problem getting the games out.
Sending the console back to Japan, then having it repaired, shipped back to me (with customs certainly wanting me to pay yet again) wasn't worth it. Hopefully there will be a way to have it repaired at a 3rd party shop one of these days.

same thing happened to my PC last year but my situation was really bad. I heard a pop but that pop took out my motherboard, graphics card, power supply unit :( And the repair store had to wipe out my HDD :(

TiVo said:
blindrocket said:

I can't tell if this is a joke or not.
I'm hoping it's not

Raist said:
I thought HDD's had a "signature" linking them to a given system. That's what i've read tho, dunno if it's true.

This is true. If you try and swap hard drives the new system will tell you that the hard drive needs to be reformatted and will delete all of your data. On that front at least there is ONE thing the extra expensive 360 hard drives have going for themselves.

The Dark One

Top Bottom