• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot for the life of me understand why people are so bent out of shape about the positioning of the analog sliders.

Look, almost every customer in this industry plays FPSes. You're mostly using the two analogs ANYWAY. You don't play CoD or Halo with your thumb placed readily on the face buttons. And if you do, you just have to jump ASAP over to the analog to line up a shot. Now the right analog is in that "comfy" position for resting your thumb on anyway, with both sets of triggers conveniently beneath your index and/or middle fingers. What is the crisis? The primary controls are very conveniently placed for that.

Yes, the D-pad and face buttons are directly beneath your analog pads, but how hard is it, really, to reach them? And if it's a D-pad or Face-button heavy game...just shift your hands down. Sheesh.

I can't really comment on the ergonomic placement of the sliders, because I haven't used it. But it really comes down to comfortable access to other functions too. Is it going to be friendly to players who are used to going from a low right stick up to the A/X (or A/B in Nintendo's case)? Will it feel good to go from a high right stick down to the A button, or is the de-facto button now going to be the Y button? I think it really just depends on how it shakes out in-game. But it would obviously be better for the psychological factor if the right stick was below the face buttons.

cajunator

Banned
I hope it forces companies to make more interesting games in other genres rather than selling out and making another boring shit FPS game. Im fucking sick of FPS games.

It's different for no reason. If they want it to be symmetrical, it should follow the dualshock layout. Clearly there are a ton of people who like it...why be different? Is there upside to the WiiU layout?

I just described a major one, but I can go into a bit more detail. The two analogs (alongside the trigger buttons) have increasingly become the primary input in many of the best selling games of this generation. By putting them in the primary/default/comfy thumb position, they are easiest to access consistently and easily. D-pad use and face button use have been secondary. Why, then, are the face buttons always on the right of most controllers? They've been used less and less as the industry has gotten more FPS-friendly. Why not shift them over a bit?

The thing is, though, that on most controllers, such a change could be devastating...you can't just move buttons down without having your palm mash into them, and putting the buttons on the "middle analog platforms" would be too distant for frequent use. But on the Wii U tablet, the positioning makes plenty of sense and does not harm their use as a primary input in different genres, as you can just shift your hand position.

Their position on the DualShocks never made sense anyway. Why should I have to crook my thumb out sideways all the time? It's awkward. Even Nintendo recognized that pretty quickly. Sony just stuck with it people people developed a preference for it. Which is understandable. But the original DS design is just a leftover from their cramming the analogs onto the digital-only PSX controller mid-generation. The D-pad is not the primary input it used to be...it's relegated to the odd menu or some sort of view switcher.

Anyway, the positioning makes perfect sense to me. Granted, if there was no tablet in the center, the buttons could go in further, but then we'd just have a traditional controller and a repeat of the GameCube situation. If they made the controller bigger to fit the buttons at an angle from the analogs, there'd be even more complaints from the peanut gallery.

Everyone said the controller was very comfortable, and these aren't reports from some sort of sponsored exclusive preview. They're genuine impressions. Why is everyone so worried?

I can't really comment on the ergonomic placement of the sliders, because I haven't used it. But it really comes down to comfortable access to other functions too. Is it going to be friendly to players who are used to going from a low right stick up to the A/X (or A/B in Nintendo's case)? Will it feel good to go from a high right stick down to the A button, or is the de-facto button now going to be the Y button? I think it really just depends on how it shakes out in-game. But it would obviously be better for the psychological factor if the right stick was below the face buttons.

It seems to me, with the smallness of the buttons, when going down from the right analog stick, you'll be able to feel some or even all of the buttons. The de-facto button won't need to be changed.

Terrell

Ah.

I guess my point was, they wouldn't launch a super powerful console at a loss, if they could lighten up on the power and launch in the green. Unlike Sony and Microsoft, who don't give a mother fuck, and leave it up to accessories/overpriced proprietary storage to make them their money.

I think with the 3DS example, Nintendo learned that making a substantial profit margin on devices at launch was only something they could feasibly achieve with Wii and the DSi (and to a lesser extent, the DS Lite).

With Gamecube, they not only lost money per console after the $99 price drop, but lost a VERY small margin per GameCube sold during the first year, though darn near close to breaking even (I think it was averaged at $20 lost per console or something).

And I think that's what we'll see with WiiU... rather than try to make the profit on hardware now, they'll price it to break even or at a manageable loss, then institute a modest price drop when profit margin increases and sluggish sales allow it to happen, the time when console demand really begins ramping up anyways.

It would be a smart move on their part.

Now, here's an idea for a topic..... do you think Nintendo is going to move to using Blu-Ray sized keep cases?
I think it's a great idea, with ONE caveat. I'm sure you're all familiar with PS3 case design, but here's an example:

683.jpg

Now it's hard to tell because they used clear plastic, but "PlayStation 3" is actually embossed into the plastic on the top. Yet they re-branded the packaging for the box art insert. This makes NO sense.
And on newer boxes, the embossment of "PlayStation 3" is removed entirely, and instead we get an ugly-ass banner at the top of all of our box art and a bunch of dead space in the plastic above it. It's a complete and total waste of space that COULD be used to put the console branding on.

So if Nintendo does change to these new keep cases, I hope they use the dead space at the top for their branding. It'd be a nice touch.

Deguello

I'd be a bit more worried about the Wii U button placement if I ever heard a cross word about them from anybody that used it.

Guys my source told me they ported Halo ODST to the Wii U as a test and they had to make the textures blurry and AI dumb cos the Wii U cant handle the same graphics as the Xbox 360 apparently it is a Wii with some shaders I dunno it might be true it might not what do you guys think?

How do you manage to run your sentences together like that? It hurts to even look at.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How do you manage to run your sentences together like that? It hurts to even look at.

A couple of levels ago I picked the Language: GameFAQs perk to help me communicate with a wider scope of Netizens.

Wolfie5

If there will be support for second Upad controller, how likely do you guys think that Nintendo will release the second controller with just a smaller screen, like 4 inches and less functions that aren´t needed for gaming?

Since the second controller won´t be needed for anything but gaming, they could have a controller that is cheaper.

This is assuming the 6" controller will cost $100 at retail. I hope I am wrong, but I just don´t see it beeing cheaper than $80.

Coolwhip

Banned
Is there a way to hide a thread? I keep clicking on this knowing that there is no new info. But I want to make sure I don't miss any info either :/

MDX

If there will be support for second Upad controller, how likely do you guys think that Nintendo will release the second controller with just a smaller screen, like 4 inches and less functions that aren´t needed for gaming?

Since the second controller won´t be needed for anything but gaming, they could have a controller that is cheaper.

This is assuming the 6" controller will cost $100 at retail. I hope I am wrong, but I just don´t see it beeing cheaper than $80.

You mean like that patent where you can add a screen to the Wiimote?

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/games/1288315/nintendo-patents-wiimote-touch-accessory

I don't get it...what about the controller isn't needed for gaming? And if there's support for a second controller, Nintendo already said one Wii-U owner would have to take their controller to another Wii-U owner's house.

Wolfie5

I don't get it...what about the controller isn't needed for gaming?

You may be right, I just said that in case there was something that isn't needed. I don't know what the BOM is or the cost. One thing i can think of, other than smaller screen, is the built-in camera, but maybe that is not much of a cost.

tsab

What IF you could use the Wii CPU/GPU (hopefully) included in the Wii-U to run apps and stream them to the tablet when in Wii-U mode (the other job being of course running Wii games). For example surfing the net, youtubing etc while the console plays games.

I am s
p
oiled with joy... :3

P.S. I like spoiler tag too much

On the topic of the Wii remote patent and the screen add-on...

What if the screen was plugged into the bottom where the actual expansion slot is instead? Nintendo would just need to make the shell clip onto the battery pack and sides and you have yourself a screen to help with menu loadouts and maps for any shooter that doesn't look or feel too obtuse or accident prone.

If someone could mockup a Wiimote with a screen where the plug in is, i'm sure you could see it easily. Keeping the nunchuck on the opposite hand as well is a must as well as maybe another mechanism to help pinpoint the wiimote further.

I could see a winner with a beast like that.

DCKing

What IF you could use the Wii CPU/GPU (hopefully) included in the Wii-U to run apps and stream them to the tablet when in Wii-U mode (the other job being of course running Wii games). For example surfing the net, youtubing etc while the console plays games.
Thinking about it, it would be pretty hard to pull off because the Wii chips were never designed to operate in the context of a more powerful system. It would need some kind of invasive design changes to pull it off properly.

lherre's information indicated the main CPU being specifically designed for running games concurrently with an OS: one core has extra cache that could make switching context between OS and game much less of a performance hit. The suggestion that the Wii U has slightly over 1 GB of RAM also could indicate that Nintendo for example includes 1 GB of fast gaming memory and 128-256MB of some small cheap memory (LPDDR2?) that is dedicated to the OS and other functionality shared by games such as tablet logic and networking stuff.

Guys, what if the WiiU and the WiiU Pad is 3D? and the WiiU Pad has a 3D slider also. we know for a fact that the Gamecube is 3D ready based on an interview from a Nintendo Exec.
There is a possibility that the WiiU will also be 3D ready, since the 3D foundations has already been applied to the 3DS. It could be a nice E3 surprise.

radcliff

Guys, what if the WiiU and the WiiU Pad is 3D? and the WiiU Pad has a 3D slider also. we know for a fact that the Gamecube is 3D ready based on an interview from a Nintendo Exec.
There is a possibility that the WiiU will also be 3D ready, since the 3D foundations has already been applied to the 3DS. It could be a nice E3 surprise.

Iwata already said the WiiU is capable of 3D (as long as you have a 3D TV), but that wasn't going to be the WiiU's focus. Did you mean glasses-less 3D? Either way, I don't believe the tablet will be 3D. Iwata said the reason the bottom screen of the 3DS is not in 3D is because it is a touchscreen and using your finger/stylus over a 3D image would break the effect. Since the tablet will essentially function like the bottom screen of the 3DS, I don't think it will be 3D.

z0m3le

Banned
Sorry, I know this was a page ago, but I read 2 pages straight of Analog stick click madness, and it is not a big deal, there are smarter ways to do these things.

Zooming: Why not just bring the controller up to eye level in front of the TV, Zooming itself takes a moment, and this would show your gun's iron sights or scope. you can see the stuff around you by just looking at the TV too. It's smarter in every way, and would allow half of america who have bad eye sight, actually see better.

Running: Why a left trigger wouldn't work is beyond me... I mean you don't need to fire and throw a grenade at the same time, it's not even possible to fire and do something like that.

Reloading: Since this takes time, and you can't fire, it being a face button makes since, but it could be the screen button, of course the other side of the screen could be used for quick zooming.

Knife: You would likely put this on the screen, or a shake. I love the feeling of shaking the controller to do a melee attack.

These are just some of the ways to remap and improve the controls of a game like this. Trust me when I say that accidental analog presses do happen, and we hate it... especially when we are trying to sneak up on someone and all of a sudden, we start running, or zooming.

Red UFO

Um, I'm pretty sure it will be able to pull off 3D, I just don't see Nintendo pushing 3D with glasses.

It's different for no reason. If they want it to be symmetrical, it should follow the dualshock layout. Clearly there are a ton of people who like it...why be different? Is there upside to the WiiU layout?
I think people should waste their energy in to thinking why Nintendo is not equipping the tablet with pushable thumbsticks.

You guys know what could be a huge improvement in control setup? If Nintendo made a pushable thumbstick that worked as good as their big "A" buttons on the GC and Wii remote controllers. That would be something game changing really, emphasizing the importance of that control input that its just right at your finger tips. The "low" height of the slide pads will help with this also.

It's just makes too much damn sense but Nintendo seems oblivious about it.

StevieP

Banned
What is this madness? How bout developers stop using a click to run modifier?

It's an ANALOG input, FFS. Most people are *running* all the time in CoD anyway... if you want to move forward slowly, use the damn analog input as... you know... analog input. Such a stupid thing that's carried over.

On PC, with KBM, a running modifier makes sense. On dual-analog, it does not.
Dual-analog control for FPS or TPS doesn't make sense in the first place... it needs to die already

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

It's an ANALOG input, FFS. Most people are *running* all the time in CoD anyway... if you want to move forward slowly, use the damn analog input as... you know... analog input. Such a stupid thing that's carried over.

Dual-analog control for FPS or TPS doesn't make sense in the first place... it needs to die already
Analog stick click per se needs to die. It's such a tacked-on input I can't believe it ever got adopted.

rpmurphy

CoD would be bad for fully analog movement since you cannot shoot while running. Having analog input for walking and separating that from running is the best control solution for that game.

139 days till any significant wiiu news, the hell with u nintendo :(

I expect something (aka specs) to leak sooner.

That may not qualify as "big news" to some but it certainly will for me.

Just hard to believe the dev kits are in the hands of western publishers in a big way presumably as launch approaches, and nothing leaks before the big reveal...

Who else plans to pick up NP during E3 to soak in the Wii U goodness in paper form?

I still have my GI issue debuting Red Steel, still shocked that Nintendo let Ubisoft and GI have the world first, and only Wii scoop prior to E3. o_O

BTW, NP showed Dirt 3 as the Dirt game, which I find odd as this is the first mention of any specific entry.

And the next month tease mentioned something about a surprise that "dreams are made of'... o_O

I'd shoot for the heavens if NiGHTS 3 was for Wii U. Loved JoD. IF it is NiGHTS, it'll likely be for 3DS. But NP more than deserves a killer Wii U unveiling before E3 like GI before it.

I have no problem with the lack of pushable thumbsticks. I've never really liked them, and they can be worked around with virtual buttons along the edge of teh touch screen. What can't be worked around is the need for analog triggers, so I hope the rumor that they have been added is true.

I don't think the lack of clickable sticks will be an issue for devs. At the same time, I don't think that "Hot keys" in the strict sense will be a good use for the touch screen. The lack of tactile feedback still make the dpad a better option for those. Having an involved inventory on the touch screen also makes little sense, as the longer you stare at it, the less point there is in having the info on the controller and not on the main screen. But some games, like Resident Evil, might use it as such because they've had the action continue even when you're looking through your bag.

I think in FPS games, the best controls in a somewhat traditional scheme, will involve the UPad controller displaying a map and radar (while ammo and health stay on screen) but also functioning as a touch pad for quick gestures such as a tap, swipe left to right, up to down, etc. Also, a generic shake of the controller works well for reload in my experience, so that might free up another button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom