• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
05uGC.jpg

Game of Thrones is an upcoming television series on HBO based on the best selling A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Game of Thrones is an epic, high fantasy series about the fight for control of Westeros which was inspired by The War of the Roses in medieval Europe. Though it's been labeled as fantasy, Game of Thrones is more about the struggle for power and family dynamics than it is about typical fantasy tropes like magic and elves. As co-producer and writer David Benioff put it: “If you have to just pick one word to describe it, it’s the word ‘power’ and how it affects those who are pursuing it, and how those who already have it try to retain it, and how those who are caught in the crossfire between the two are mutilated in the process.” In addition to complex characters living in a well thought out and developed world, the story boasts plenty of violence, sex, and other adult oriented content.

The second season premieres Sunday, April 1st at 9pm on HBO. The 10 episode Season 2 will cover the events of "A Clash of Kings", the second book in the ASoIaF series. HBO is planning to shoot a season for each book in the series. At the moment, GRRM is working on the sixth book in a projected seven book series.

HBO's Press Release on Season 2:
HBO said:
War is coming to Westeros. As the cold winds rise and five kings vie for power, bonds are forged and broken, identities are challenged and romance blossoms. With the stakes higher than ever before, who will survive the chaos to claim the Iron Throne?

Based on the bestselling fantasy book series by George R.R. Martin, GAME OF THRONES is an epic drama set in the world of Westeros, where ambitious men and women of both honor and ill-repute live in a land whose summers and winters can last years. The Emmy®- and Golden Globe-winning fantasy series begins its second season SUNDAY, APRIL 1 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT), exclusively on HBO, followed by other episodes on subsequent Sundays at the same time.

Created and executive produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, the ten-episode second season of GAME OF THRONES plays out against the backdrop of a fast-approaching winter – the season of the white raven. In King’s Landing, the coveted Iron Throne is occupied by cruel young Joffrey, counseled by his conniving mother Cersei and his uncle Tyrion, who has been appointed Hand of the King.

But the Lannister hold on the Throne is under assault on many fronts. Robb Stark, son of Ned Stark, the slain Lord of Winterfell, seeks autonomy in the North and has taken Cersei’s brother Jaime prisoner in battle. Daenerys Targaryen looks to shore up her depleted power in the East with her three newborn dragons. Stannis Baratheon, brother of the late King Robert, rejects Joffrey’s legitimacy and aligns with a powerful priestess to raise a naval attack. And Renly, Stannis’ charismatic brother, has maintained his own claim since fleeing King’s Landing.

In the meantime, a new leader is rising among the wildlings North of the Wall, adding fresh perils for Jon Snow and the order of the Night’s Watch. With tensions and treaties, animosity and alliances, the second season of GAME OF THRONES will be a thrilling journey through an unforgettable landscape.

Returning cast members include: Emmy® and Golden Globe winner Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister), Aidan Gillen (Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish), Iain Glen (Jorah Mormont), Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Richard Madden (Robb Stark), Maisie Williams (Arya Stark), Isaac Hempstead Wright (Bran Stark), Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark), Jack Gleeson (Joffrey Baratheon), Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy) and Rory McCann (Sandor “The Hound” Clegane).

Also returning for the second season are: Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister), Jerome Flynn (Bronn), Conleth Hill (Varys), John Bradley (Samwell Tarly), James Cosmo (Commander Mormont), Sibel Kekilli (Shae), Donald Sumpter (Maester Luwin), Ron Donachie (Rodrik Cassel) and Gethin Anthony (Renly Baratheon).

New cast members in the second season include: Stephen Dillane (Stannis Baratheon), Gwendoline Christie (Brienne), Carice van Houten (Melisandre), Liam Cunningham (Davos Seaworth), Natalie Dormer (Margaery Tyrell) and Rose Leslie (Ygritte).

8jPXG.jpg

CcgtJ.jpg

Cast

The cast of Season 2 will have at least one hundred named characters. If you'd like to dig into who's playing what roles, check out WiC.net's full cast list & photos. Also, HBO have a cast page with pictures and bios of the main players. I'll update this section with better images if they become available.

Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister), Aidan Gillen (Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish)
EPUUv.jpg
G2pGA.jpg
hLs9u.jpg
AZXSL.jpg
p45dg.jpg
rSqt6.jpg

Iain Glen (Jorah Mormont), Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Richard Madden (Robb Stark), Maisie Williams (Arya Stark), Isaac Hempstead Wright (Bran Stark), Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark)
5oKxv.jpg
RJrmz.jpg
AACS9.jpg
Ox1mT.jpg
KGHkf.jpg
W9l39.jpg

Jack Gleeson (Joffrey Baratheon), Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy), Rory McCann (Sandor “The Hound” Clegane), Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister), Jerome Flynn (Bronn), Conleth Hill (Varys)
js2wj.jpg
gETYV.jpg
PSXIs.jpg
Hy5Mw.jpg
00VZX.jpg
FzE1o.jpg

John Bradley (Samwell Tarly), James Cosmo (Commander Mormont), Sibel Kekilli (Shae), Donald Sumpter (Maester Luwin), Ron Donachie (Rodrik Cassel), Gethin Anthony (Renly Baratheon).
3zYSG.jpg
rierk.jpg
egAYl.jpg
GEzxa.jpg
hMGoe.jpg
Tyjpb.jpg

Stephen Dillane (Stannis Baratheon), Gwendoline Christie (Brienne), Carice van Houten (Melisandre), Liam Cunningham (Davos Seaworth), Natalie Dormer (Margaery Tyrell), Rose Leslie (Ygritte)
Hlb4y.jpg
bAg7f.jpg
T950P.jpg
I4llh.jpg
IBnhb.jpg
ta8Iv.jpg

Crew

HBO has assembled a considerable amount of talent to put together Game of Thrones. David Benioff and D.B. Weiss head up the writing staff. Other episode writers include Bryan Cogman, Vanessa Taylor, and George RR Martin. A number of other experienced directors, including Alan Taylor, Alik Sakharov, David Nutter, and Neil Marshall, will be working on the season. Check out WiC's crew page for details on other crew members.

5ZLIq.jpg

iuF3x.jpg

HBO have released an astonishing number of videos relating to the series. This includes trailers, sneak peek scenes, and introductions to the characters. There are a few spoilers within these videos, so watch at your own risk. WiC.net also has a video gallery.

Promo Videos and Trailers
Behind the Scenes Videos
Character Featurettes
House Videos from HBO:
Other Amusing Fan Vids
UwNRa.jpg

** Major spoilers in the loglines - read at your own risk **

Episode 2.07 - A Man Without Honor - Sunday, May 13th - 9PM ET
Jaime meets a distant relative; Dany receives an invitation to the House of the Undying; Theon leads a search party; Jon loses his way in the wilderness; Cersei counsels Sansa.

Episode 2.08 - The Prince of Winterfell - Sunday May 20th - 9PM ET
At Winterfell, Theon receives a visitor and holds down the fort. Arya calls in her final debt with Jaqen in a way that displeases him. Robb is betrayed. Tyrion and Varys find common ground. Dany ignores Jorah’s advice. Stannis and Davos approach their destination, and Davos is offered a reward.

Episode 2.09 - Blackwater - Sunday, May 27th - 9PM ET
Tyrion and the Lannisters fight for their lives as Stannis’ fleet assaults King’s Landing.

Episode 2.10 - Valar Morghulis - Sunday, June 3rd- 9pm ET
Tyrion awakens to a changed situation. King Joffrey doles out rewards to his subjects. As Theon stirs his men to action, Luwin offers some final advice. Brienne silences Jaime; Arya receives a gift from Jaqen; Dany goes to a strange place; Jon proves himself to Qhorin.

Replays in case you missed the first broadcast:
Episode 6:
Other HBO playdates: May 6 (11:00 p.m.), 8 (11:00 p.m.), 9 (10:00 p.m.) and 12 (1:00 a.m.) HBO2 playdates: May 7 (9:00 p.m.), 10 (8:00 p.m.), 11 (11:00 p.m.) and 13 (3:45 p.m.)​

Episode 7:
Other HBO playdates: May 13 (11:00 p.m.), 15 (11:00 p.m.), 16 (10:00 p.m.) and 19 (1:30 a.m.) HBO2 playdates: May 14 (9:00 p.m.), 17 (8:00 p.m.), 18 (midnight) and 20 (1:00 p.m.)​

Episode 8:
Other HBO playdates: May 20 (11:00 p.m.), 22 (11:00 p.m.), 23 (10:00 p.m.) and 26 (12:55 a.m.) HBO2 playdates: May 21 (9:00 p.m.), 24 (8:00 p.m.), 25 (midnight) and 27 (4:00 p.m.)​

Episode 9:
Other HBO playdates: May 27 (11:00 p.m.), 28 (8:00 p.m.), 29 (11:00 p.m.) and 30 (10:00 p.m., midnight), and June 1 (10:00 p.m.) and 2 (10:15 p.m.) HBO2 playdates: May 28 (9:00 p.m.) and 31 (8:00 p.m., 9:00 p.m., 10:00 p.m.)​

KzMMr.jpg

IM5EG.jpg

Links

7DUcE.jpg

GAF Threads

TV Threads:

Book Threads:

Infographics:
Here are a couple infographics created for Season 1 (i.e. not updated for S2 yet) in case you're curious about how everyone is related.

One from hauteslide.com

One from screenrant

Bphii.jpg

Zb44O.jpg

Please keep in mind that many viewers haven't read the books and will be new to the ASoIaF series. As such, please spoiler tag any plot points that haven't aired yet on HBO and label what book you're discussing. This includes book spoilers as well as promos and teasers that HBO has released for upcoming episodes. Also note that mentioning a specific character in a specific book confirms that they're still alive at that point, so please do not do this.

I know it's a hassle to use tags, but some of the spoilers involved with this series are HUGE and there are plenty of other places on GAF to discuss ASoIaF on GAF. I've included some links (see above) to other GAF threads for the series as a whole. Remember that this show needs to put up some big viewership numbers to stay on the air, and most of the potential audience hasn't read the books before. Let's be respectful towards them, and when in doubt, put it in spoiler tags.

Properly using spoiler tags:

Good usage:
  • [ACoK]
    Put your spoilers from A Clash of Kings here and talk about whatever you want from that book.
    It's obvious which book you're talking about and all content is tagged.

Poor usage:

• Example #1:
    There's no label on this one, so no one knows what books it's from. Probably shouldn't click on these anyway.
    Label which book you're talking about.
  • Example #2:
    Hodor's best moment is when [ACoK]
    HODOR HODOR HODOR HODOR HODOR HODOR HODOR HODOR
    Don't confirm which characters are alive in which books. Always put the character name and the content inside a spoiler tag.
  • Example #3:
    I don't like it when Hodor hodors in that scene.
    [ACoK]
    HODOR HODOR HODOR HODOR HODOR HODOR HODOR HODOR
    This is the same problem as above. We know which character you're talking about because of what you quoted, and then you confirm that he's alive in the second book. Your best bet is to just label it as a [series spoiler] and leave it at that.

If you do see an untagged spoiler your best course of action is to 1) ask the poster to edit their post quickly 2) don't quote spoilers as that's how they end up spreading 3) PM a moderator that's online and ask them edit the post for you.

Thanks for your help with this - I know that all of the new fans will greatly appreciate your effort. For the new fans that aren't familiar with the series, your best bets for avoiding spoilers are to 1) read the books beforehand, 2) don't highlight any spoilers in this thread, and 3) avoid the spoiler-heavy ASoIaF threads on GAF that are listed above.

UCptx.jpg

tn515.jpg

(Click to embiggen)

Photographs

Posters

Maps

House Wallpapers (More here from HBO.)

ZZC2y.jpg

UoYtW.jpg

- Ken Tucker @ Entertainment Weekly: Game of Thrones Season 2 *some minor spoilers*
It's difficult enough to hook a viewer like me, who resists sprawling, noncontemporary narratives; it's another level of pop culture wizardry to make such storytelling seem so vivid, so vital, and just plain fun. A-
- Maureen Ryan's review: 'Game of Thrones' Season 2 Review: A Bigger, Better, Bolder Journey Through Westeros
Game of Thrones" has a lot of material to condense and synthesize, and speaking for myself, I care more about the characters than absolute fidelity to the story. But there is good news: The storytelling by executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss and their writing staff is increasingly assured and judicious; the first-rate cast continues to mine the full depth of the material; and the show itself is visually commanding, especially in the hands of Alan Taylor, who directed the first two episodes of the season.
- Tim Goodman's review for THR:
There’s a rich tapestry at work in Game of Thrones that precious few series have pulled off, much less attempted. The result is that fans (and not just the die-hards who have read the books) soak up each episode and wish – like I did after the fourth episode – that there were more than 10 episodes per season. That kind of insatiable sense of wanting to absorb the fertile storytelling, excellent characters/acting and magnificent visuals is a definitive sign that a series is doing virtually everything right.
- Variety review
More magic begins creeping into the second season of "Game of Thrones," literally speaking, but the magic conjured by season one continues virtually unabated: a dizzying array of characters, splendid performances, and a scope and grandeur like nothing else on television. Combine that with the handful of warring factions vying for the Iron Throne, and pervasive ruthlessness that leaves no one -- including children -- safe, and HBO has the ingredients for a series that puts nearly every other genre offering to shame. "Winter is coming" is the show's catchphrase, but it was worth the wait till spring to receive it.
For more reviews, check out Tower of the Hand's exhaustive review compilation.

RV6QU.jpg

1) Game of Thrones is a television show based on George RR Martin's epic, high fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire.
2) It premieres on Sunday, April 1st at 9pm on HBO.
3) Watch this trailer.

E0QSt.gif

Thanks to Buckethead, WiC.net/gutshot, and the rest of GoT GAF for their help with the OP.

Please let me know if there are any errors or bad links in the OP, and I'll be happy to correct them.

Blackheim

Subscribing...

I may get to watch this as it airs this time around instead of waiting a year for the home video release :D

apana

Remember guys, our way is the old way so mark your spoilers and take extra care. Even I've had mistakes once in a while but if we are all careful and follow rules we can avoid pages and pages of bitchin.

image.php

Dany

Banned
Lets get this party started.

tumblr_lmwhzdAuMJ1qbmv14o1_500.gif

Oh, and spoilers for all books and stuff after current episode, Id assume?

Aselith

Remember guys, our way is the old way so mark your spoilers and take extra care. Even I've had mistakes once in a while but if we are all careful and follow rules we can avoid pages and pages of bitchin.

SPOILARS FOR THE THREAD FUCKIGN ASSHOLE

Cipherr

Was there ever a consensus reached on how spoilers would be handled? Didnt work out so well last time. I ended up knowing who is going to die, who isnt, and how it would happen from loads of people who didnt consider that stuff 'important' or 'a big enough deal to constitute a spoiler tag'.

Socreges

Banned
Was there ever a consensus reached on how spoilers would be handled? Didnt work out so well last time. I ended up knowing who is going to die, who isnt, and how it would happen from loads of people who didnt consider that stuff 'important' or 'a big enough deal to constitute a spoiler tag'.
Yes. Cornballer will post it. Whether or not people will actually read the instructions, or follow them, remains to be seen. It's never going to be perfect.

It did seem like there was a good appetite for a second thread that avoids book discussion completely, but Cornballer didn't seem to like the idea and may not be about to create a separate thread. Dunno if someone else is willing to take the initiative there.

jett

D-Member
A Clash of Spoilers

Non-readers of the book are better off not highlighting a single spoiler, no matter what.

I am ready. I also get to cancel my ridiculously priced cable after the series ends. Unfortunately I have to raise the price by 15 bucks a month for 3 months in the interim.

Does anyone know when HBO will be airing that preview for season 2? Should have been aired earlier this month but it was postponed for some reason.
SERIES SPOILERS SERIOUSLY DON'T CLICK
Series spoilers. Seriously don't click
Syrio!!!!!!!!! ;)
Dead!

Snaku

Banned
Oh sweet, finally. I'm going through season 1 again on bluray just to catch up, it's better than I remember.

I haven't been able to stop watching it since my Blu-ray set was delivered. I don't think I've had anything in my PS3 other than GoT since then.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Dany would look better as a brunette, fuck it.

Sure, but can you imagine the fan uproar if they would have made her that? I mean, just look at the discussion regarding the shade of Melisandre's red hair? :D

yacobod

Banned
Why does Emilia have long hair in all the promotional pics from ET and the trailers. shouldnt her hair be short after being in a funeral pyre and all?

my only gripe thus far, the 7 devils trailer was pretty awesome besides the corny music.

Is this going to be 10 episodes again?

End of the book spoiler beware:

Wonder how they pull off the Battle of the Blackwater?

fanboi

Banned
77F6z.jpg

If only there were more so I could make a good av. Maybe I'll try anyways.

JESUS DUDE CHRIST DONT READ!!!!!!!
Is that the awesome awesome super ninja awesome assasin guy??!?! aka you have three deaths to wish
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH DONT READ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom