• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBW Rumor: The Next Xbox Has A Wii U Like Tablet Controller With HD Screen, Buttons

HylianTom

Banned
Man this latest batch of juniors sure is... interesting...

They're going to be hi-larious to watch if/when Sony goes under.. or when Microsoft "betrays" them in order to focus on more mainstream/non-gaming/motion/touch items for their next console/box/machine.

Cheebo

Banned
The whole argument capacitive vs resistive screens went down the drain in 2009.
When an amazing multi-touch resistive screen popped up.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/19/stantums-mind-blowing-multitouch-interface-on-video/

Resistive mult-touch is superior then anything else, if you need proof watch the videos, and its still cheaper then capacitive. Capacitive is going down the drain.

Edit: Why doesnt nintendo implement this?

It's going down the drain when like 90% of touch screen devices on the market place use it?

Nilaul

It's going down the drain when like 90% of touch screen devices on the market place use it?

It's going, not currently, but in the future its going to happen.

Or... we going to have two types of phones/tablets one geared to the artsy type, which is going to use the resistive, and one to the other people, because fingers only touch screen is a good way to avoid accidential calls.

elcranky

Banned
Hold the fucking phone.

You're sitting here and arguing what the best input for a platformer is, and now you proudly proclaim that you've never played a Mario game, or any Nintendo platformer?

Look, I don't care what you think of the company. Nintendo revolutionized the genre with Super Mario Bros., basically defined the platformer as we know it today. And then they did it again with Mario 3. And again with Mario 64, but that's getting into 3D and away from the d-pad discussion. Point is, they were and have continued to be one of the, if not the, most influential publishers in the genre. If you have played a single platformer made in the last 25 years, I can pretty much guarantee that game took some cues from Mario. If you can't respect that, then why are you even discussing the genre?

It's like arguing about sci-fi for an hour before proudly proclaiming that you've never seen and never intend to see any Star Trek or Star Wars movies. Or arguing about fantasy and revealing you've never read Lord of the Rings. Or arguing about superheroes and boasting that you've never read, seen, played, or otherwise experienced any medium based on DC or Marvel characters.

Sigh, where has the reading comprehension gone? I was never arguing about the best input for platformers specifically. Other folks made that argument. I made a broad statement that sticks are always preferable to dpads, which is true. As for platforming, I have always believed that Mario ruined platforming so why would I want to play games derived from Mario? I have always refused to play any game that uses d-pad for primary input because it is just not efficient, precise, or comfortable enough to be fun, which is why I didn't play console games for 20 years.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I have always believed that Mario ruined platforming

GPFBX.png

Dicer

Banned
Sigh, where has the reading comprehension gone? I was never arguing about the best input for platformers specifically. Other folks made that argument. I made a broad statement that sticks are always preferable to dpads, which is true. As for platforming, I have always believed that Mario ruined platforming so why would I want to play games derived from Mario? I have always refused to play any game that uses d-pad for primary input because it is just not efficient, precise, or comfortable enough to be fun, which is why I didn't play console games for 20 years.

This HAS to be trolling...

elcranky

Banned
And might I ask what is the definition of a good platformer in your opinion?

That is easy, I have never enjoyed a platformer in nearly 40 years of gaming. Sonic might have been good if it had a stick to control it. Side scrollers, yes, SMUPS yes, RPGs yes, Strategy games yes However, none of that is relevant to the thesis that replacing the dpad with a touch screen is an awesome idea or that even old school sticks like the 2600 are vastly better input devices than dpads.

BY2K

Membero Americo
That is easy, I have never enjoyed a platformer in nearly 40 years of gaming. Sonic might have been good if it had a stick to control it. Side scrollers, yes, SMUPS yes, RPGs yes, Strategy games yes However, none of that is relevant to the thesis that replacing the dpad with a touch screen is an awesome idea or that even old school sticks like the 2600 are vastly better input devices than dpads.

HOW OLD ARE YOU!?

WHoa whoa whoa, ease off on the old school gamer.

I hope XboxNew does not have a tablet, but rather they just expand an utilize the Xbox Companion app across all mobile platforms. I want my standard controller to stay, other than the d-pad the Xbox controller is top notch.

Tookay

I have this image of you playing the Atari 2600 ET game and thinking it was the game that got platforming "right."

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The whole argument capacitive vs resistive screens went down the drain in 2009.
When an amazing multi-touch resistive screen popped up.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/19/stantums-mind-blowing-multitouch-interface-on-video/

Resistive mult-touch is superior then anything else, if you need proof watch the videos, and its still cheaper then capacitive. Capacitive is going down the drain.

Edit: Why doesnt nintendo implement this?

2009? when SOME companies was still using resistive screens, no one uses resistive anymore, Why? cuz they're unresponsive pieces of shit.
the only time ya see a resistive screen is in cheap products.
most people have trouble pressing those screens once let alone multiple times.

Nilaul

2009? when SOME companies was still using resistive screens, no one uses resistive anymore, Why? cuz they're unresponsive pieces of shit.
the only time ya see a resistive screen is in cheap products.
most people have trouble pressing those screens once let alone multiple times.

The Resistive Wacom Cintiq says hi, and thats a 1000+ pound product! Resistive screens are more responsive.

IrishNinja

fuckin gimmicks man
why's this arcade game gotta have a contdown timer on my health, squeezing more quarters out of me and shit
one day ill play this at home but i bet i'll have to buy more controllers because of GIMMICKS

1. I would never waste my time on a nintendo game

ah, this recent batch of jr's...i want to hug this one.

Eric C

Just wondering.. just what do you consider to be a good modern stick that'd be suitable for 2D platformer games?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The Resistive Wacom Cintiq says hi, and thats a 1000+ pound product! Resistive screens are more responsive.

our pods at work are 1000+ pound products with resistive screens & they are crap, they should just release a app for a phone, the job would be much easier.
But my point is no one uses them anymore, it's considered old touch screen tech.

If something like this were to happen it would really drive up the production cost, especially if they plan to pack a Kinect into every box. If this does end up being true I think its the final nail in the coffin when it comes to nextbox's specs.

One way or another, I really hope they make a showing this year at e3.. If they do it should be very interesting.

Hold the fucking phone.

You're sitting here and arguing what the best input for a platformer is, and now you proudly proclaim that you've never played a Mario game, or any Nintendo platformer?

Look, I don't care what you think of the company. Nintendo revolutionized the genre with Super Mario Bros., basically defined the platformer as we know it today. And then they did it again with Mario 3. And again with Mario 64, but that's getting into 3D and away from the d-pad discussion. Point is, they were and have continued to be one of the, if not the, most influential publishers in the genre. If you have played a single platformer made in the last 25 years, I can pretty much guarantee that game took some cues from Mario. If you can't respect that, then why are you even discussing the genre?

It's like arguing about sci-fi for an hour before proudly proclaiming that you've never seen and never intend to see any Star Trek or Star Wars movies. Or arguing about fantasy and revealing you've never read Lord of the Rings. Or arguing about superheroes and boasting that you've never read, seen, played, or otherwise experienced any medium based on DC or Marvel characters.
You really are one of my favorites you know that right?

our pods at work are 1000+ pound products with resistive screens & they are crap, they should just release a app for a phone, the job would be much easier.
But my point is no one uses them anymore, it's considered old touch screen tech.

Stop saying this crap. Capacitive screens are older than resistive

BlackJace

Well since Windows 8 is supposed to be optimized for tablets, and the next Xbox having Windows 8 integration, I'd see no real surprise that they're going with a tablet.

Nibel

See? This is exactly why they make fun out of us Juniors!

Mario is the definition of platforming. You can't create a platformer without having played the genre's king. Galaxy 2 is the undisputed best 3D platformer of all time. Hell, I play all kinds of games and have to respect that.

Such an ignorant post, man.

King_Moc

Banned

I used to be under the impression that opinions couldn't be wrong. You've just changed my mind. And how can you claim that sticks are always better than D-Pads, then claim that that is a universal truth? It's just a flat-out lie.

BlackJace

Videogame rendering resolution has been steadily improving each generation. I think you could consider the branding a gimmick.

Yeah I thought so too. I just wanted someone else's opinion on that. Thanks.

I want a regular controller, fuck Microsoft for this shitty idea, and fuck the Wii U. Sony, please do not go down this road.

I love how some people are so afraid of change. And besides, this is just a damn rumor.
And I've bet you've done your research too, seeing as everyone who's held the controller says its light, comfortable to use. Instead of making such brash statements, wait until you receive a chance to use the product yourself...

elcranky

Banned
Just wondering.. just what do you consider to be a good modern stick that'd be suitable for 2D platformer games?

I suspect any of the modern 8-way digital sticks would do the trick. If I ever find the time, I would love to get one of the fancy new arcade sticks and go on a SHMUP binge. Unfortunately, I don't see having that much time in the next couple of years.

Wacom don't use resistive or capacitive tech, their devices don't respond to any kind of touch input apart from the pen.
Actually, some Cintiq do have touch sensitive strips on the front and back edges, but not the screen itself.

According to this video the Samsung Galaxy Note pen is compatible with Wacom products too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2fzC3JVSUs

Wacom don't use resistive or capacitive tech, their devices don't respond to any kind of touch input apart from the pen.
Actually, some Cintiq do have touch sensitive strips on the front and back edges, but not the screen itself.

According to this video the Samsung Galaxy Note pen is compatible with Wacom products too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2fzC3JVSUs

There are also Wacom tablets that have a touch layer (see the Bamboo line), but apart from that, this is totally correct. Instead of using resistive or capacitive input, which are forms of passive digitizers, Wacom uses active digitizer tech. This involves electromagnetic radiation, being both transmitted and received by the pen and the digitizer itself.

In regards to the tech the decide to use in this controller if it turns out to be true, I honestly couldn't care less. They both have their pros and cons. It's all about how they decide to actually use it that will determine if it's worthwhile.

Lmao at people that still use dpad for platformers. Do you also type your letters on the type writer?

I used the dpad for dkc returns but that was because it was the most client control scheme but otherwise analog all the way.

IrishNinja

sorry to keep beating the dead horse that is elcranky's crazy posts, but i was going through my collection today and couldnt help but wonder: why didn't dude just get an NES advantage? i thought it was a great stick for most games you wanted that for, and hell, it even made the statue of liberty move. no other controller can say that.

800px-NES-advantage.jpg

just look at that sexy beast.

Top Bottom