• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Okami Wii Thread of IGN Watermarks

okami-wii-thread-1.png

An Alkaline and PantherLotus creation

Okami_PS2_US_FINALboxart_160w.jpg

Published by: Capcom
Developed by: Ready At Dawn Studios / Clover Studio
Genre: Adventure
Release Date:
US: April 15, 2008
Japan: April 15, 2008
Europe: TBC
Price: $39.99

104264830_5833b9f6c3.jpg

Summary:

Wii port of the first original title from Capcom's now defunct Clover Studio -- headed up by Viewtiful Joe producer Atsushi Inaba.The multiple award-winning action adventure Ōkami is now available on the Wii! Use the Wii Remote as a paintbrush to solve puzzles, create pathways, chop down trees or turn night into day. Ōkami comes alive through beautiful scenic 3D levels that have the appearance and texture of paper scrolls brushed with watercolor-like calligraphy art. Playing as Amaterasu, the sun goddess who takes on the form of a wolf, your goal is to bring life back to the world.

Redesigned to take advantage of this unique platform, the Wii version sports widescreen graphics and motion controls. Players uses the Wii Remote as the 'celestial brush' in an effort to seal ancient evils once again.

okami.jpg

Interview with Ready At Dawn

Developer Ready at Dawn recently finished up work on its first Wii project, a port of Capcom's critically acclaimed adventure game, Okami. The developer recently answered a few questions about the porting process and clarified some details about the Wii incarnation of the project.

okami-wii-thread-2.png

IGN - 9.0

If you have never played Okami before, you are in for an amazingly beautiful and awe-inspiringly epic adventure that simply must not be missed on Nintendo's console, particularly if you like games like Zelda. The title oozes charm and style from the opening credits and the Wii additions truly enhance the experience. Now, you can play the game in 480p and 16:9 widescreen, and you can do so using the Wii remote, which controls Amaterasu's celestial brush with a level of speed and accuracy never before possible. It's implemented so triumphantly that it actually changes the pace of the game, effectively speeding everything up...forget that Okami is nearly two years old. Forget that the ridiculously epic adventure, inspired by the Zelda franchise, was originally developed for PlayStation 2 and meant to be played with an analog stick. And forget anything Capcom ever said about testing the waters with Wii. You need to buy Okami for Nintendo's system. And if you don't, you'll be missing out on one of the most ambitious and thoroughly enjoyable Wii titles to date.

GameTap Review - 9/10

However, while a few minor things may have been lost in the port, I’d argue that ultimately this is a more important game for the Wii than it was for the PS2. The Wii’s unofficial designation as the console for everyone has meant that a lot of the games developed for the system are quick-hit multiplayer experiences; as a result, there aren’t a whole lot of deep single-player games available. Okami helps fill that void, and hopefully other publishers will be encouraged to make more games that do the same.

1UP - A

The gorgeous sumi-e Japanese watercolor world thankfully makes the translation intact, though. It looks more brilliant than ever in 480p and true 16:9 widescreen, which makes the rolling vistas all the more beautiful. As if the narrative weren't motivation enough, the unique art style will perpetually push you onward to the next area, just to see what it looks like. Every corner of the world feels novel; each of the game's bulbous bosses and plentiful basic enemy types revel in their own unique visual designs, introducing new aesthetic palettes and environments right up to the end. The papery-looking graphical filter is toned down to accommodate the Wii hardware, but it wasn't something I noticed until I was told about it (and even then, it wasn't a big deal)...For younger Twilight Princess fans, this is your true coming-of-age adventure...and for older gamers free of nostalgia's shackles, Okami provides a far more refreshing, creatively stimulating journey.

Nintendo Power - 7.5

Gamepro - 9.0

EGM - 91.7%

Play Magazine - 9.5

Current Gamerankings Average: 88.3%

okami-wii-thread-3.png

More Screens!

IGN video review

Exploring the overworld

Nothing the brush can't do

More videos here!

Questions and Answers

Q: Is there any new content in this version

A: In terms of gameplay, no. What you got in the PS2 version is what you'll find here. Nothing more, nothing less.

Q: Are their any enhancements?

A: There certainly are! The game now arrives in 480p full widescreen, allowing for a sharper image. The colours in the game are also more saturated, making the game's beautiful art style stand out even more. There's also skippable cutscenes, and of course, the brand new Wii controls.

Q: How do the Wii controls work?

A: Here you go!

Q: Was anything ommitted?

A: Content-wise, no. However, the parchment filter effect has been made more subtle, and bloom lighting is either subdued or completely gone. However, the Wii version remains just as good looking, if not more so, due to the increased colour saturation and improved image quality.

Q: I heard the parchment filter is gone and that widescreen isn't in the game. Is this true?

A: NO! That was only reported from an early build of the game. Both elements are in the final version.

okami-20080303101123400_640w.jpg

Credit
1. PantherLotus for his outstanding banners.
2. Clover Studios for creating this game.
3. Ready At Dawn for their extra effort in ensuring that this game finally reached its home.
4. Please post any news, reviews, art, etc on the game! I'll be sure to credit you!

okami_1.jpg

Alkaline's Thoughts

If you have never played Okami before, then it shouldn't even be questioned - get this game. Even if you have played the game before on the PS2, like RE4: Wii Edition, it's definitely worth a second look given the implementation of Wii controls, especially at a price of 40 bucks. This is a truly beautiful game that deserves to be purchased by every single person who considers themselves not only a fan of gaming, but indeed, art and creativity.

Capcom claims it's "the best game you've never played." Let's change that.
okami-wii-thread-4.png

I am turning my back on this game.

It's not bad, I own in on PS2. I'm just very disappointed that nobody played it the first time and won't give the Wii crowd that attention.

The only thing I hope for is that after everyone bitched for it to be ported to the Wii instead of buying in in the first place can now feel as shitty as I do that it didn't sell and Clover doesn't exist anymore. Only I won't share nearly the amount of guilt for holding out for motion controls.

KevinCow

Banned
Hey look, and official thread for a game that I'm interested in.

Probably won't get it day one, but I'll definitely get it at some point.

frankie_baby said:
ps2 screens = fail

I heard you the first time. :p

The reason i chose those screens is because they're smaller so they fit the OP nicely, and i was able to get some really nice ones. Besides, the Wii version looks just as good if not better, so its not exactly misleading or anything.

_Alkaline_ said:
I heard you the first time. :p

The reason i chose those screens is because they're smaller so they fit the OP nicely, and i was able to get some really nice ones. Besides, the Wii version looks just as good if not better, so its not exactly misleading or anything.
Yet has a more "subtle paper filter," increased color saturation, no "bloom lighting," and is sharper looking than PS2 version do to progressive scan... you're right, totally representative.

Mefisutoferesu said:
Yet has a more "subtle paper filter," increased color saturation, no "bloom lighting," and is sharper looking than PS2 version do to progressive scan... your right, totally representative.

If the Wii version looked completely different than of course i wouldn't have posted PS2 screens. But both versions look very similar but some small exceptions. I provided a link to Wii screens anyway. It's just for the presentation of the OP that i used those screens.

I apologise if people have a problem with it and i'll take them down if they do, but honestly, what you see there is very close to what you will get when you put the game in your Wii.

KevinCow

Banned
Mefisutoferesu said:
Yet has a more "subtle paper filter," increased color saturation, no "bloom lighting," and is sharper looking than PS2 version do to progressive scan... your right, totally representative.
Oh for fuck's sake, not this shit again.

BeeDog

Fucking A. Wii gamers, buy this fucking game and love it, LOOOOVE IT. I bought a PS2 copy, and did my part then; now do your part.

uncle-sam.jpg

MutFox

Banned
Like seriously, is this game really that good?
GAF has lied to me so many times, and I've spent so much money because of GAF. :/

_Alkaline_ said:
If the Wii version looked completely different than of course i wouldn't have posted PS2 screens. But both versions look very similar but some small exceptions. I provided a link to Wii screens anyway. It's just for the presentation of the OP that i used those screens.

I apologise if people have a problem with it and i'll take them down if they do, but honestly, what you see there is very close to what you will get when you put the game in your Wii.
Whatever, I'm not here to poop on the party, I just find it dubious that you list a slew of differences and then say it's the same thing, but it's for effect so no big deal, I guess.

Mefisutoferesu said:
Yet has a more "subtle paper filter," increased color saturation, no "bloom lighting," and is sharper looking than PS2 version do to progressive scan... you're right, totally representative.
Is there really no/less bloom? I remember this definately being the case early on, but IGN hasn't touched upon it in their review I don't think, and the thing people seem to care about most is the paper filter but I LOVE BLOOOOOOOOOOOM

Mefisutoferesu said:
Whatever, I'm not here to poop on the party, I just find it dubious that you list a slew of differences and then say it's the same thing, but it's for effect so no big deal, I guess.

Not the same thing, no, but the visual changes/enhancements are still minute in the grand scheme of things.

GAF has lied to me so many times, and I've spent so much money because of GAF. :/

I played and loved in the on the PS2. I found Twilight Princess superior but that's not to say Okami is mediocre. It's an artistic masterpiece and one of those games i think everyone has to at least experience.

Comic

MutFox said:

The gameplay is similar to Zelda, only less block puzzles, I think. I loved the game but I think I'll buy it for the Wii, as I only rented it for the PS2.

That said... since it is a thread for the Wii port... why aren't the screenshots from the Wii version? Those of us who have played the older one would like to see these subtle differences too. Everyone has a different screen resolution so you can't really say it was just to fit the style of the OP, because information > presentation I think.

Edit: Just noticed the link to the Wii screens, nevermind.

Comic said:
The gameplay is similar to Zelda, only less block puzzles, I think. I loved the game but I think I'll buy it for the Wii, as I only rented it for the PS2.

That said... since it is a thread for the Wii port... why aren't the screenshots from the Wii version? Those of us who have played the older one would like to see these subtle differences too. Everyone has a different screen resolution so you can't really say it was just to fit the style of the OP, because information > presentation I think.

Edit: Just noticed the link to the Wii screens, nevermind.

Well I've gotten rid of the PS2 screens, so everything up there is from the Wii version!

ChryZ

Anyone should play Okami! PS2 or Wii, just do it.

The story hits a low around 20h, but keep going. The last 1/3 and the end is so worth it.

Comic said:
I don't get it.
Too obtuse? I'm just saying that it sounds like spin to me. I personally think the more saturated colors show a lack of regard for the original intent, even more so when combined with the subtle (read: hardly noticeable) parchment effect and lack of color bleeding to give Okami it's distinctly watercolor look. The Wii visuals basically look like an unfinished build that's missing a handful of carefully chosen effects to me. I don't get the sense that Clover chose the look arbitrarily, and it's sort of sad to see some of the unifying elements lost.

I guess all I'm really getting at it that perhaps the original poster's observations would be better served if they were listed instead under "Alkaline's Thoughts", considering how subjective they are.

colinp

Banned
Damn, watching the IGN review on my TV made the game look *really* beautiful (<3 the 480p widescreen!) and makes me think I might have to double dip (I was there day one damn it! I pre-ordered and got the Buddha board as well! :lol ).

GTAIV, TWEWY, Okami... Where is all the time?!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mefisutoferesu said:
Read that in the Shawn Elliot "Heroes of the Web" voice.

AniHawk

Okami's pretty overrated, especially by everyone in gaming.

There, now that's out of the way, Beyond Good & Evil is actually the best game you've never played, but Okami's pretty good too.

colinp said:
I pre-ordered and got the Buddha board as well!

My Gamestop never gave me a Buddha board, though I pre-ordered the game. Fucking assholes.

Even if you have played the game before on the PS2, like RE4: Wii Edition, it's definitely worth a second look given the implementation of Wii controls, especially at a price of 40 bucks.

Have you played the Wii version yourself? Do you really believe this to be true? When I played the PS2 version, I did think that motion controls would improve the game, but there are about ten other things that would have improved the game more. For instance, the improved text speed in this port will make a much bigger difference than the new controls, but the port will still leave us with all of the challenge-less dungeons, fetch quests, repeated boss fights, and boob jokes.

The brush controls take place while the game is paused, so the fact that they're more efficient shouldn't make nearly as much of a difference as the more reesponsive RE4 aiming controls.

Mr. Spinnington said:
The only thing I hope for is that after everyone bitched for it to be ported to the Wii instead of buying in in the first place can now feel as shitty as I do that it didn't sell and Clover doesn't exist anymore. Only I won't share nearly the amount of guilt for holding out for motion controls.

What is this weird fantasy of fantasy of blaming Nintendo fans for the failure of a PS2 game?

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I personally think the more saturated colors show a lack of regard for the original intent

The colors in the original were already garish and oversaturated, so I'm not sure this subverts the original intent, though it's unquestionably uglier.

MutFox said:

Imagine there was a Zelda game without any of the bad parts. That's Shadow of the Colossus. Okami is the opposite.

Razorwind

Hmmmm i wana ask something, why is it that the screenshots on the latest EGM look sooooo poor, but the ign screenshots look pretty decent?(For a wii) Which do i believe?

Dever

Banned
Do you like Zelda? Even a little? If your answer is "yes", you NEED to buy this game. One of my absolute favorites on Ps2.

Haunted

Razorwind said:
Hmmmm i wana ask something, why is it that the screenshots on the latest EGM look sooooo poor, but the ign screenshots look pretty decent?(For a wii) Which do i believe?
Neither. Wii screenshots are an unpredictable beast. Better to check it out in motion on a TV in front of you.

Yaweee

I'm having extreme difficulties imagining the Wii version to have better paintbrush controls than the PS2. It might be more fun, but drawing straight lines and circles will always be more accurate with an analog stick.

What sucks is that the Wii version will probably sell better, so they'll make Okami 2 Wii exclusive. Now, if they made the Celestial Brush function in real-time, it might be worthwhile...

I just couldn't get into the PS2 version and I generally love Zelda games. I may give this a rent, but I really doubt I'll buy it.

Yaweee

robochimp said:
I couldn't get through the super boring beginning of the game

QFT. Horrifically slow and needlessly wordy dialogue followed by being stuck in one town for an hour.

AniHawk said:

There, now that's out of the way, Beyond Good & Evil is actually the best game you've never played, but Okami's pretty good too.
I can vouch for this. I've been playing Beyond Good & Evil for the first time, and I can truly say that it's fucking brilliant. Even more-so than Okami.

Don't get me wrong, though. I like Okami a lot.

cpro said:
QFT. Horrifically slow and needlessly wordy dialogue followed by being stuck in one town for an hour.

Sounds a bit like TP. (Though I wouldn't call the town section at the beginning "horrifically boring", it stretched on for far longer than I wanted.)

I'm torn on this game. I hear a lot of complaints about fetch quests and too much dialog, but the game looks spectacular otherwise.

The Hermit

Great tittle, especially for those who know what was Capcom´s advertisement ;)

Anyway, never played the first and allways wanted to. So I was hoping for the "Okami Wii" rumor to become true, and now it is! :D

Day one, I really hope this game take the bad taste of Twilight Princess from my mouth.

Sadist

Yay, Okami! Will get this when it comes to Europe. :D

AniHawk said:

Beyond Good & Evil is SO AWESOME. I just wished there would be a sequal. Oh Ancel, where art thou? :(

Top Bottom