• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tex Murphy: Project Fedora Kickstarter project [Ended, $611K funded]

Wiktor

9_69877881.jpg

Update 2: The kickstarter had launched!
Tex Murphy - Project Fedora KICKSTATER PAGE

This project will only be funded if at least $450,000 is pledged by Saturday Jun 16, 1:51am EDT.

PROJECT DESCRIPTION

“Project Fedora” will continue the amazing adventures of Tex Murphy, the down-on-his-luck P.I. in post-apocalyptic San Francisco. This long-awaited game will be the sixth in the adventure series, which includes the award-winning games Under a Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive and Overseer.

Project Fedora will reunite creators Chris Jones and Aaron Conners and feature their trademarks of rich interactive storytelling and immersive gameplay. The new game will incorporate the very best of the classic Tex Murphy elements - sci-fi, film noir, witty dialogue, great characters, beautifully integrated FMV, and a deep, engaging story - but it will also enhance the experience of the former games with stunning new graphics, a sleek new interface, and other updates.

The detective-style gameplay takes place in a fully 3D world where you search for clues, solve puzzles, investigate crimes, and question witnesses and suspects. While the gameplay will be fun and challenging, you'll never get stuck with the free, built-in hint system.

One of Project Fedora's most exciting features is how the game and story can unfold in different ways. As you play, your actions and choices will change events, leading to new story elements and gameplay. This "narrative pathing" not only allows you to customize your experience, it will provide unique replayability, as the game will have at three or more story paths leading to multiple endings.

Long-time Tex fans may be curious if the new storyline will pick up where Overseer (and its infamous cliffhanger) left off. The short answer is YES, but this game will be just as enjoyable for people who have never played the earlier games. While we can't give too many details yet, just be prepared for an incredible opening sequence!

Project Fedora promises to be the best Tex Murphy adventure ever - even better than the last three Tex Murphy games (Under a Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive, Overseer), which were met with critical acclaim, won "Adventure Game of the Year" awards, and are consistently ranked as some of the best adventure games of all time.

Update 1: Announcement video

Well, as many of you have suspected (or possibly read in "GamesTM") we are working on a new Tex Murphy game. (Better late than never, right?... right? )
We made a decision within the past few months that now was the time to complete the Tex Storyline. We could not wait any longer. We agreed that we needed to finish the story, although it had to be a more "modest" game design since Big Finish Games is a small gaming studio.

However, with the recent Kickstarter success stories for other Adventure Games - Double Fine Adventure & Wasteland 2 - we saw an opportunity to create a game of a larger scale. So, with that in mind, we hope to bring the next Tex Murphy game to an a much bigger, dare I say, epic level - More actors, locations, broader stories and yes - even meaningful, varied story paths. With these elements, we have a better chance of expanding the audience and a better chance of commercial success and continuation. All of this would allow us to make a true Adventure game with Immersive 3D world, Full Motion Video, and longer game play.
On May 15, we are going to launch a Kickstarter page to help raise funding for the project. As we prepare to film the Kickstarter video, we're interested in feedback from you guys about what fundraising incentives you would like to see. Old Games? New Games? Tote Bags? T-Shirts, Posters, Artwork, Autographs, dinner for two? Dinner for three? Carl Kasell's voice on your home answering machine? Let us know!

We also to get you involved in making the video. We want "Tex Murphy Testimonials" -- written or video testimonials about what you loved about the prior games. We will incorporate some of these testimonials into our video and post others on our website or YouTube page.
If you would like to send us feedback or get involved, please fill out the form on Big Finish's contact page: http://bigfinishgames.com/contact
Thank you for sticking with us! We've really appreciated your patience and loyalty and hope to give you guys an awesome game.

Original post:
Seems the next old legend that will attempt a Kickstarter comeback will be Tex Murphy. Rumors started when somebody claiming to be Chris Jones (one of series' creator and actor who played Tex) posted this on The Unofficial Tex Murphy Web Site:

There is nothing wrong with your computer monitor. Do not attempt to refresh the page.

We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper.

We control your computer monitor - but you control the fate of the Tex Murphy franchise.

Tune in to the Unofficial Tex Murphy website on Tuesday, March 20 to receive further instruction.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled internet browsing.

The bolded part points at Kickstarter. Site's admin confirmed this is real Chris Jones, not some prankster.

Anyway, that was merely a rumor. But it just got a lot more credible, enough for me not to be able to stop myself from making this thread. An israeli website published a news confirming all of the above, but most of all, in that news there was this picture:

9_69877481.jpg

This is obviously much older Chris Jones than in any of Tex's games. Not to mention it means :FMVs!!!

Anyway, tomorrow all will be clear. I supported both Double Fine and Wasteland 2 kickstarters, but I'm willing to throw a lot more money at new Tex.

bloody hell yes. Under a killing moon is one of my favourite games of all times. I'm going to support this but I need to see which direction they're taking the franchise first

chiablo

I would love HD remakes of all the Tex Murphy games. But I'll just as easily accept a new one.

I don't dare replay Under a Killing Moon, simply because I have very fond memories of playing it when I was younger. I have a feeling it has not aged well at all.

Stet

Banned
I would love HD remakes of all the Tex Murphy games. But I'll just as easily accept a new one.

I don't dare replay Under a Killing Moon, simply because I have very fond memories of playing it when I was younger. I have a feeling it has not aged well at all.

It has. IT HAS!

Wiktor

I've replayed them recently. The interface is wonky as hell, but once you go past it (which is admitely hard, bu worth it) the plot, atmosphere and puzzles stood the test of time remarkably well.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
9_69877481.jpg

This is obviously much older Chris Jones than in any of Tex's games. Not to mention it means :FMVs!!!

First of all, the pic is awesome :) Then, it doesn't have to hint at an actual FMV game at all, it could just be the shooting of a promo vid for the Kickstarter page itself.

Bebpo

Banned
Never played Pandora or Overseer (have them on GOG though, so will get to them at some point), but UaKM was one of my most replayed and favorite PC games growing up.

I remember when Chris Jones got back into game development a year or two ago and everyone was super hyped only to play the game (3 Cards to Midnight) and find it was a casual hidden object title. Probably because no publisher would back a new Tex Murphy FMV game. So if kickstarter gives him the chance to do one, I am very down.

Plus didn't Overseer end in a cliffhanger or something? Maybe he can finally finish the story.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

I played it for the first time a year or two ago when GOG got it, so without any nostalgia goggles at all I can say it's held up fine.

protonion

Under a Killing Moon is the game I got with my first ever PC!
I love everything in the these games. Please be true!

megalowho

Holy shit.. this is my dream Kickstarter revival project. I even said as much in a GAF thread a few weeks ago. I'll contribute generously, I only hope there's enough folks out there that feel similarly to make this a reality.

Tex Murphy adventure games had great character, Sci-Fi detective noir setting and storytelling, some really offbeat humor, puzzles, lots of exploration and lots of FMV. Easily my favorite FMV adventure games and some of the best the genre had to offer at the time. They're all on GOG for a fair price, including the early 2D adventures that started the series.

Edit: Gameplay had two modes, navigation and exploration. Basically traditional point and click in 3D environments.

bengraven

That license is owned by Activision, anyone throwing kickstarter money at activision needs to be punched in the soul.

Can we start a Kickstarter to buy the rights back from Activision so we can have a Kickstarter to get a new game?

Nah, fuck it, just do a Kickstarter for a spiritual sequel.

Wiktor

That license is owned by Activision, anyone throwing kickstarter money at activision needs to be punched in the soul.

Activision has been very willing to part with Sierra IPs though.
That said, there's nothing unique about the IP, it would be waste of money to try to secure it.
What would matter is getting James Walls on the project.

I read about this on Adventure Gamers forums but it didn't seem Kickstarter was what they had in mind when I read it last. Nice to see more details and I really hope this works out.

BiggNife

I read about this on Adventure Gamers forums but it didn't seem Kickstarter was what they had in mind when I read it last. Nice to see more details and I really hope this works out.

Nothing is confirmed about Kickstarter - it's just that message saying "you control the fate of the franchise" implies it.

Nothing is confirmed about Kickstarter - it's just that message saying "you control the fate of the franchise" implies it.

Oh, the last I read about it was that it seemed to imply the older games were going to be put on some other service so the whole Kickstarter thing associated with it it all news to me.

jimi_dini

"Look, prophecies aren't in my job descriptions, okay? I'm just a humble P.I. trying to save the world as we know it."

Fucking yes

MAKE A SEQUEL, NOW!!

megalowho

The trailer alone makes me question my memories of the game. Was the game bad, or just a bad trailer?
Terrible trailer, I went back and played through a good chunk of UAKM again when it was released on GOG and it holds up surprisingly well. The employee actors are about what you'd expect and everything felt like it was being held together by tape a little bit, but that was part of the charm for me.

2th

Banned
Quite interesting to see how many thing come out of the wood work when they can get paid BY THE FANS up front.

Top Bottom