• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA Announces Pokémon Rumble Blast (3DS) - Oct. 24

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This just in.

Starting this fall, Pokémon™ fans will be able to experience the franchise's battle-based action and adventure in a whole new dimension. Nintendo of America has announced an Oct. 24 launch date for Pokémon™ Rumble Blast, the first Pokémon game created exclusively for the hand-held Nintendo 3DS™ system. An action-packed Pokémon adventure in 3D without the need for special glasses, the game lets players battle against waves of opposing wind-up Toy Pokémon, connect and play with friends, and collect more than 600 Toy Pokémon.

As players advance through each stage in Pokémon Rumble Blast, their Toy Pokémon will face dozens of Toy Pokémon at once, creating fast and furious real-time battles. Players must also face off against giant Boss Pokémon, whose massive size and strength offer special challenges. Certain defeated Toy Pokémon can be added to the player's team, and players may also collect special Toy Pokémon, each with its own unique stats and abilities. Players can collect more than 600 Toy Pokémon in all, including those from the recently released Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version games. Players can quickly and easily switch between the various Toy Pokémon they collect throughout the game.

Pokémon Rumble Blast offers two ways for players to wirelessly connect with each other. Using a local wireless connection, they can enjoy a cooperative play mode that allows them to battle through levels together and more easily befriend defeated Toy Pokémon. Using the Nintendo 3DS StreetPass™ feature, they can challenge the Toy Pokémon of players they pass in their daily travels and view other players' Mii™ characters in the game.

"Pokémon Rumble Blast delivers instant Pokémon gratification," said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "The controls are intuitive and simple enough for anyone to pick up and play, while new battle modes, more than 600 Toy Pokémon and social play opportunities offer deep experiences for longtime fans."

Remember that Nintendo 3DS features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/3ds.

For more information about Pokémon Rumble Blast, visit http://www.pokemon.com/rumbleblast.

Trailer: http://youtu.be/1-Xk9vrAGGY

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
"Pokémon Rumble Blast delivers instant Pokémon gratification"

Gotta give the kids their Pokemon hit.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
We're getting a game!

This is like an action game or something right?
Not a regular Pokemon adventure which I would pass on.

Gotta buy something.

weeaboo

dallow_bg said:
We're getting a game!

This is like an action game or something right?
Not a regular Pokemon adventure which I would pass on.

Gotta buy something.

Seems that is some kind of Musou game but with pokemans, weird shit.

bluehat9

watched the video...I don't know, could be interesting running around killing everything in your path as pikachu I guess.

Ok Nintendo. I give you credit for bringing this one in out of left-field. It's quite surprising considering they won't be exhibiting this at Comic-con and it wasn't at E3 yet it's coming out in Oct.

weeaboo said:

It's basically the Wiiware game Pokemon Rumble but expanded for 3DS. I didn't like the Wiiware demo so I won't bother with this, to be honest. But Pokemon fans can rejoice a bit!

Mockingbird said:
Ok Nintendo. I give you credit for bringing this one in out of left-field. It's quite surprising considering they won't be exhibiting this at Comic-con and it wasn't at E3 yet it's coming out in Oct.

Stealth launch from Nintendo? Big surprise?

Ken

weeaboo said:
g110609_01_pic03.jpg

I wouldn't mind a Pokemon Musou game, but this isn't it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
lennylightspeed said:
"Remember all the amazing models from the 3D Pokedex? We don't either."
This is developed by Ambrella, the guys from the WiiWare game and My Pokémon Ranch, not Nintendo or Game Freak.

So just like the one on the wii?

Despite the comments in this thread the game is actually very fun. I would like to see more pokemon spin offs like this that go in a completely different direction to the main game.

Slime

Banned
Dynasty Warriors: Pokémon all up in here.

I tried the WiiWare game and, while kind of mindlessly fun, it didn't really hook me. Don't really think this is retail-worthy, but hey, it's Pokémon and will inevitably move some units. Stuff like this is really indicative of what's wrong with dedicated handheld software pricing structures versus those of the smartphone market, though.

mr_chun

List of disappointments I have here:

-) It costs more than twice as much as the WiiWare game.
-) It looks relatively unchanged, despite the price hike and expansion from WiiWare size restrictions to the 2-4gigabit cards.
-) No online co-op.

Seriously? The last one bothers me the most. Nintendo said that they were directing some focus towards improving and supporting the online system. So far, they've released four retail games with zero online functionality- and at least one of them definitely could have benefited from it. They have two games on the horizon that feature multiplayer as a major component, and neither one is online. Kid Icarus' multiplayer hasn't been confirmed to be online, either. On top of it all, there is STILL no messaging or invite system.

Takao

Banned
Slime said:
Dynasty Warriors: Pokémon all up in here.

I tried the WiiWare game and, while kind of mindlessly fun, it didn't really hook me. Don't really think this is retail-worthy, but hey, it's Pokémon and will inevitably move some units. Stuff like this is really indicative of what's wrong with dedicated handheld software pricing structures versus those of the smartphone market, though.

I think it's more indicative of Nintendo's trust (or lack thereof) in the eShop. If this was Sony, there's no way this game goes to retail the way it is. It would've been a $15-$20 PSN game.

weeaboo

mr_chun said:
List of disappointments I have here:

-) It looks relatively unchanged, despite the price hike and expansion from WiiWare size restrictions to the 2-4gigabit cards.
-) No online co-op.

Seriously? The last one bothers me the most. Nintendo said that they were directing some focus towards improving and supporting the online system. So far, they've released four retail games with zero online functionality- and at least one of them definitely could have benefited from it. They have two games on the horizon that feature multiplayer as a major component, and neither one is online. Kid Icarus' multiplayer hasn't been confirmed to be online, either. On top of it all, there is STILL no messaging or invite system.

They were lying with the online support bro. Never believe Nintendo in online matters

Riposte

I still don't understand what this game is. Is it an action or strategy or puzzle game?

Also the bolding in the OP is random.

mr_chun

weeaboo said:
They were lying with the online support bro. Never believe Nintendo in online matters
I know that now. :(

Riposte said:
I still don't understand what this game is. Is it an action or strategy or puzzle game?
Action. It's almost... a brawler? Basically you take control of one Pokemon and mash the "A" button to zap/tackle/spray/whatever the other Pokemon. Sometimes when you knock them out, you'll be able to acquire them and use them, getting stronger/higher level Pokemon as you go. That's it. It's a fun diversion when played co-op, but it's not worth more than $10 IMO.

Slime

Banned
Takao said:
I think it's more indicative of Nintendo's trust (or lack thereof) in the eShop. If this was Sony, there's no way this game goes to retail the way it is. It would've been a $15-$20 PSN game.

Indeed, and it really goes to show how ridiculous Nintendo's "smartphones are devaluing games" argument is, as they're over-valuing them and in turn digging their own graves. I just really think they're in for a rude awakening if they keep this up.

wrowa

Takao said:
"The way it is"? We barely know anything about this game. For all we know it could be a 20 hour long action game.

It most probably isn't, but it's a bit early to condemn the game.

Sqorgar

Banned
mr_chun said:
Actually, it looks like it has changed quite a bit. My kids love the WiiWare game, but it is literally like 8 levels that you have to play over and over again to collect more powerful pokemon to play as. Not only does this version seem to include ALL the pokemon (Rumble only has Red/Blue and some of Pearl/Diamond), but the levels don't look as generic and linear. It seems to be a pretty big upgrade, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you didn't like Rumble, you won't like this one either.

Truth is, I'll be getting this for my kids because they love Rumble. I doubt that I'll be playing it as I find Rumble to be too simplistic for my tastes. I don't think this game is made for people like me. But then, Xenoblade is... Nintendo doesn't care about gamer people.

Takao

Banned
wrowa said:
"The way it is"? We barely know anything about this game. For all we know it could be a 20 hour long action game.

It most probably isn't, but it's a bit early to condemn the game.

I've watched the trailers. I've seen nothing there that says this game should be going to retail. Length is not a good reason to bring a game to retail. Ambition, scale, and budget are. This game has none of those three.

wrowa

Takao said:
I've watched the trailers. I've seen nothing there that says this game should be going to retail. Length is not a good reason to bring a game to retail. Ambition, scale, and budget are. This game has none of those three.
In other words: Because the graphics are shitty, the game has no ambition, no scale and no budget.

Effect

Nintendo of America has announced an Oct. 24 launch date for Pokémon™ Rumble Blast, the first Pokémon game created exclusively for the hand-held Nintendo 3DS™ system.

They can't be serious and think anyone will actually buy this? A game created for the 3DS would look like this? If this was a downloadable game then I might buy this and accept how it looks but come on. They are pushing this as a retail product!? This screams DS up-port.

Father_Brain said:
okay, now announce the complete Q3/Q4 lineup
This. This is the only reason this announcement means anything to me. It is nice (or cruel? we'll see) to be reminded that, yes, NoA does come out and announce new games right the fuck out of nowhere. You guys all know what I'm talking about.

Takao

Banned
wrowa said:
In other words: Because the graphics are shitty, the game has no ambition, no scale and no budget.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. It's not like I'm a fan of a franchise who had a game released in 2010 that looks like this:

medabots_ds-11.jpg

or anything.

No not at all, this Pokemon game shows no ambition, scale, or budget because the gameplay has no variety, the graphics are weak, and doesn't seem to have anything else to do than just fight. It's just a button masher spinoff to a very popular property whose original game was originally a download only title. It's not hard to rationalize why this might not be worth a $40 retail release.

sfog

I thought the WiiWare demo was kind of fun, but not really worth $15, more like $8-10, so I passed on it. Even though this seems somewhat expanded, asking $30-40 for it is way too much. Should've been 3DSWare...

Top Bottom