• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

So, Marvel Puzzle Quest is an amazing and constantly updating version of the tried and true Puzzle Quest formula.

You collect covers and use them as characters (or "characs") in head to head battles against other players or the AI. You level them up with "ISO" and get them new powers and power levels through more covers. OF COURSE THAT'S AWESOME.

THREAD FOR FACEBOOK LINKING!!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705967
THE MARVEL PUZZLE QUEST REGISTRATION ACT

OFFICIAL DROP LISTING: http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=235

CURRENT TOURNAMENTS:

UNSTABLE ISO: A week length set of solo missions.

November 1 Weekend: NEW TOURNEY - Venom Versus!!

AdamMPSP

So glad someone made an OT for this. I've been playing it since launch day, and it's gotten in the way of me playing "real" games. I'm still only one badge into Pokemon and I've barely touched Infinite Blade because of this.

I love the weekly events and daily rewards. I wish the story/writing was better. I would also really like the social stuff to be less about spamming friends and more about showing what your friends are doing in the game. I want to be able to compare my heroes with my friend's heroes, see where they are on the leaderboards, etc.

Either way, great game. Really cutting into my gaming productivity, but I still love it.

ToxicAdam

A very addictive game. I've been playing a couple hours a day.

It is a shame there wasn't a bit more thought put into the cutscenes. Laid out as a comic book panel would have been a great touch.

I liked this game well enough-the F2P gating isn't all that awful given that you're "supposed" to play the game in short bursts, but I simply cannot go back to basic match-3 gameplay at this point after playing Puzzle and Dragons for a year.

Still a pretty decent F2P game with some good regular updates and events. Deserves more attention than it is getting.

kulapik

Tell me the difference between a usual Match 3 and this one. I thought picking this but after seeing gameplay all hype went down.

Lint21

Neo Member
I'd love to be playing more of this but I'm not sure that I can proceed. I've grinded (ground?) the levels in the HAMMER level until they dropped all of their rewards. I was able to beat the Juggernaut first level, but the other levels ramp up in enemy level and presumably difficulty quickly after that. My handful of heroes are pretty low-level, how do I move forward?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I gave it a couple of weeks but it didn't really grab me. The puzzle gameplay just isn't very good and the Marvel 'flavor' adds nothing to the experience.

AdamMPSP

I'd love to be playing more of this but I'm not sure that I can proceed. I've grinded (ground?) the levels in the HAMMER level until they dropped all of their rewards. I was able to beat the Juggernaut first level, but the other levels ramp up in enemy level and presumably difficulty quickly after that. My handful of heroes are pretty low-level, how do I move forward?

My advice would be to play in the multiplayer challenges. You'll get new cards rewards and ISO drops to level up your characters. Then you can go back and the Juggernaut stuff will be a breeze.

J0dy77

I've been playing since launch day but have one small complaint, the game kind of gets repetitive. It's mainly about stacking burst characters, targeting the weakest enemy, rinse and repeat. I'm hoping that they introduce some new mechanics and the game will get more strategic as they release better covers. I do like the game a lot though.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Is it match 3 like puzzle quest where you can only shift a block one space or is it like puzzles and dragons where it doesn't matter you can move anything anywhere.

Is it match 3 like puzzle quest where you can only shift a block one space or is it like puzzles and dragons where it doesn't matter you can move anything anywhere.

The first kind. Luckily you build up colors for special moves, otherwise it would be, well, I guess it wouldn't even exist?

Keits

Developer
I've been playing this a lot. A few tips and factoids for you:

- This game has combo damage scaling, kind of like a fighting game. Each subsequent hit does less damage than it normally would have if it was the first hit of a combo.

- Save all of your Hero Coins (except those you are forced to spend in tutorials) for storage space upgrades, otherwise you are going to run out and be forced to sell Heroes.

- If characters get 150% or 200% bonuses in tournaments, they crit for insane damage. Be cautious and try to use this to your advantage.

- A character may seem weak to you at level one, reading his abilities. But as you level his abilities, he may start to become more attractive. Try not to get rid of characters, as you never know who will be boosted in the next tournament.

- You can only carry 10 of each Boost type, so don't be afraid to use them (especially in PvP).

- If you start a PvP fight and retreat, you get a loss. However, if you start a story fight and retreat, nothing bad happens. You can use this to your advantage and try to get a starting board with a 5 match and/or a lot of your color (only necessary if its going to be a hard fight).

- Once you have some level 15-20 heroes, the fastest way to grind ISO-8, especially if your characters are injured, is to do level 1-1 over and over and get the 20 each time. This can be done pretty easily 1-2 times per minute, generating roughly 900 ISO in an hour.

jred2k

Love me some Puzzle Quest. I remember seeing a thread about this a while ago and didn't realize it had released. Downloading it now, hopefully I enjoy it.

Is there much in the way of freemium stuff shitting up the flow of the game or does it manage to avoid some of the usual annoyances?

what platforms?

Seems to just be iOS and Google Play right now.

Love me some Puzzle Quest. I remember seeing a thread about this a while ago and didn't realize it had released. Downloading it now, hopefully I enjoy it.

Is there much in the way of freemium stuff shitting up the flow of the game or does it manage to avoid some of the usual annoyances?

The biggest "freemium" hurdle is cover slots. I definitely hit a point where I had to buy more coins to get more slots because I didn't want to ditch any characs. You definitely do not get enough hero points in the course of the game to buy enough new slots to keep everyone you get through the course of the game, especially because you need an open slot permanently for any power upgrade cover repeats before you use them to upgrade the power (and then they disappear).

1. If you level up an injured or downed character, it gives them full health.

2. If you have an injured character but no heals left, fight Venom in the storyline... try to attack only with Spider-Man and build up his 2 powers: web stun and teammate heal. Allow Venom to use his webs (don't destroy them), then use the web stun on Venom (hopefully you'll have saved up more than one uses of this - but wait until Venom is un-stunned before you use the power again since they don't stack). After you have 3+ web tiles on the board, use Spider-Man's healing power and you'll get your injured characters back at full health.

SmokyDave

I'm not big on Puzzle Quest or Marvel, but the amount of buzz this seems to have caused in the iOS thread has got me downloading it. Such enthusiasm is usually worth checking out.

AVclub

I'm so hooked on this game! Been looking around online for someone to create a matrix of all the character cards and their various stats. It's hard to know what to keep and what to toss otherwise.

It's the only "free to play" game I've ever spent any money on. The match three is simplistic, but it's challenging to find a multi-hit cascade to inflict max damage.

Since the big update, the way the special power upgrades have been limited seems pretty shitty. Especially since you can't use ISO8 anymore for upgrades, only coins or cards. I have been dumping many of my one star characters since they have such a low maximum level.

1. If you level up an injured or downed character, it gives them full health.

2. If you have an injured character but no heals left, fight Venom in the storyline... try to attack only with Spider-Man and build up his 2 powers: web stun and teammate heal. Allow Venom to use his webs (don't destroy them), then use the web stun on Venom (hopefully you'll have saved up more than one uses of this - but wait until Venom is un-stunned before you use the power again since they don't stack). After you have 3+ web tiles on the board, use Spider-Man's healing power and you'll get your injured characters back at full health.

I've been playing this a lot. A few tips and factoids for you:

- This game has combo damage scaling, kind of like a fighting game. Each subsequent hit does less damage than it normally would have if it was the first hit of a combo.

- Save all of your Hero Coins (except those you are forced to spend in tutorials) for storage space upgrades, otherwise you are going to run out and be forced to sell Heroes.

- If characters get 150% or 200% bonuses in tournaments, they crit for insane damage. Be cautious and try to use this to your advantage.

- A character may seem weak to you at level one, reading his abilities. But as you level his abilities, he may start to become more attractive. Try not to get rid of characters, as you never know who will be boosted in the next tournament.

- You can only carry 10 of each Boost type, so don't be afraid to use them (especially in PvP).

- If you start a PvP fight and retreat, you get a loss. However, if you start a story fight and retreat, nothing bad happens. You can use this to your advantage and try to get a starting board with a 5 match and/or a lot of your color (only necessary if its going to be a hard fight).

- Once you have some level 15-20 heroes, the fastest way to grind ISO-8, especially if your characters are injured, is to do level 1-1 over and over and get the 20 each time. This can be done pretty easily 1-2 times per minute, generating roughly 900 ISO in an hour.

All good tips, thanks!

Trying to get to 350 in the Dark Avengers PvP. Slow going.

OH- I don't think anybody mentioned this even though it is pretty obvious:

When selecting an opponent in PvP, you can indefinitely hit the "skip" button until you get one that you're likely to beat.

Keits

Developer
The amount of points you gain or lose in PvP is similar to an ELO system, where its your score compared to their score. It has nothing to do with the actual level/power of their team. Skip button is your friend.

Mairu

Anyone want to friend on FB for the sharing stuff? Sometimes you get recruit tokens & ISO to share. :O

I've been playing this a lot, but didn't know about a lot of the tricks Keits posted above. Thanks for the tips!

Maggia guys are relentless, especially thugs. Took some time to get through today's iso-8 missions. Getting a lot of iso and other goodies from it, even though my luck with recruit tokens continues to be nonexistent.

I kind of want to keep all new characters, but most of the three-star guys are almost impossible to level without spending significant amounts of real money. On the other hand, they will occasionally pop up in the events, so... I guess I'll have to spend more on slots at some point.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Since the big update, the way the special power upgrades have been limited seems pretty shitty. Especially since you can't use ISO8 anymore for upgrades, only coins or cards. I have been dumping many of my one star characters since they have such a low maximum level.

Oh wow, I'm glad I got out when I did.

Oh wow, I'm glad I got out when I did.

There are plenty of covers dropping from story missions and multiplayer events, though. And the skills now only have five upgrade levels. I've only paid $5 so far (for slots) and I've managed to get a good roster of high-level characters. The best guys are well in the p2w territory, of course.

ToxicAdam

I'm so hooked on this game! Been looking around online for someone to create a matrix of all the character cards and their various stats. It's hard to know what to keep and what to toss otherwise.

It's the only "free to play" game I've ever spent any money on. The match three is simplistic, but it's challenging to find a multi-hit cascade to inflict max damage.

At a certain point, you couldn't use ISO to level up characters in the old version. Around level 9 or 10 or so, it switched cover to gold only.

Also, to everyone else, don't forget to check the Red ISO event as they add new quests daily.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
The game is very fun, I like playing it while waiting for my puzzle and dragons stamina to recharge.

I played the ever loving hell out of the Marvel Facebook game, until I realized it was ruining my life. I'm very gingerly dipping my toe into this one :)

Are there sets of missions after "Prologue"?

I've only just unlocked Oscorp missions.

I've been chipping away at the two Featured challenges and then going through Juggernaut and Venom to get every single reward. It's grindy but it's left me with a really nice suite of Characs. And I only really paid for one. The second set of gold I'm saving for new slots.

Effing completely loving this damn game. I can't even imagine what it will be like after a few months of new characs. If they add FF stuff?? MISS THING?!?!?!

:0

Labadal

The update ruined the game. I don't want to bother with using coins for skill upgrades. It takes forever to collect them Using iso-8, I could quickly raise the levels and skills of my characters. Game was deleted. The game itself isn't that bad. Not as good as Challenge of the Warlords but better than the other Puzzle Quests.

The update ruined the game. I don't want to bother with using coins for skill upgrades. It takes forever to collect them Using iso-8, I could quickly raise the levels and skills of my characters. Game was deleted. The game itself isn't that bad. Not as good as Challenge of the Warlords but better than the other Puzzle Quests.

I haven't used coins to upgrade skills once. Five covers gets me maxed out powers. Shit, I've been selling covers now at this point.

Fully torqued Freon Beam for Iron Man.

soqquatto

this is one of the worst match 3 games ever seen. is this some sort of astroturfing? this shite is even worse than candy crush.

The update hasn't broken the game at all; you people need to actually PLAY it.

It WOULD HAVE broken the game IF they hadn't also changed the rate in which you get covers. Before the update, the only way I got worthwhile characters was if I saved up 150 coins and got a random one - and even then I'd wind up with shit like Bagman more often than not.

AFTER the update I've been given:

- Thor (3 total)
- Ragnorok
- Loki
- Wolverine (3 total)
- Captain America (5 total)
- Modern Hawkeye (3 total)
- Spider-Man Classic

All they did was switch up what you want to try to earn; before you wanted to earn coins in order to get new characters... now you want to earn coins just so you can buy new slots because you're being given so many characters just by playing. It's a much better system.

All they did was switch up what you want to try to earn; before you wanted to earn coins in order to upgrade characters... now you want to earn coins just so you can buy new slots because you're being given so many characters just by playing. It's a much better system.

You speak truths.

The update has completely ramped up the treadmill for me (in a good way). I'm able to regularly cycle through story missions and events while various characters heal. The frequency of drops is a great way to suck you in.

My two complaints:

• The alerts every time you hit the menu. Ugh.
  • Losing event points when someone attacks you. You have no control over that and I'm not a fan.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yup, the game is a legit match-3 game. For what it is anyway, it is pretty good. The update is amazing too, I have gotten like 10,000+ iso or something, and a good 20+ covers in under a week, and around 500 gold.

My two complaints:

• The alerts every time you hit the menu. Ugh.
  • Losing event points when someone attacks you. You have no control over that and I'm not a fan.

Just wanted to say I saw on their forums they're aware of this issue and it should eventually be fixed. Apparently it's 10x worse for them as they test stuff and get the notifications much more than we do, heh.

Minsc

Gold Member
How does the game decide which 3 of your characters other players fight?

The last three you fought with in the particular mode are saved, they said on their forums that you are free to swap around as much as you want in the campaign and it doesn't effect your defense. Also if your 3 defenders are killed and recovering for any reason that doesn't effect your defensive battles, obviously - they always start at full health.

The forums are here, there's a lot of info, and they're actually pretty active. Worth looking over if you haven't.

How does the game decide which 3 of your characters other players fight?

Toxic Adam answered this for me in the other thread today:

Edit: You were asking about the PVP battles, not about which character soaks up damage. Nevermind.

Whatever match you make, if their icon is on the gem, they will take the abuse for any counterattack.

I haven't double checked it, but I think the icon is determined by who delivers the most damage for that color.

So, if you have a Black Widow that hits for 12 per Purple tile and your other teammates hit for less than that, Widow will be the icon representative of the purple gems.

Tobor

The update hasn't broken the game at all; you people need to actually PLAY it.

It WOULD HAVE broken the game IF they hadn't also changed the rate in which you get covers. Before the update, the only way I got worthwhile characters was if I saved up 150 coins and got a random one - and even then I'd wind up with shit like Bagman more often than not.

AFTER the update I've been given:

- Thor (3 total)
- Ragnorok
- Loki
- Wolverine (3 total)
- Captain America (5 total)
- Modern Hawkeye (3 total)
- Spider-Man Classic

All they did was switch up what you want to try to earn; before you wanted to earn coins in order to get new characters... now you want to earn coins just so you can buy new slots because you're being given so many characters just by playing. It's a much better system.

Bingo. The game is much improved now, and legitimately awesome. It's the only game I'm playing on my phone now. Gotta catch em all!

this is one of the worst match 3 games ever seen. is this some sort of astroturfing? this shite is even worse than candy crush.

Da fuq is this? There's tons of strategy involved depending on what characters you're using and who you are facing. That wrapped in a Marvel skin, this is addictive and very fun.

Wish they would drop more coins, pretty much have to buy or wait enough time to get more storage. I get enough covers but you essentially will have to buy the more popular guys.

What I dislike is when repeating fights while trying to get 4/4 rewards, you'll run into times where instead you'll get 20 iso for winning and this happened like 6-7 times in a row on one fight. For tougher battles, this is a real pain. Wish characters would heal faster, beyond that, enjoying the game.

Top Bottom