• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita launched without a Ridge Racer in North America

Takao

Banned
What does this mean?

Were the Mayan calendars correct?

Will Kaz Hirai now have to import a copy of RRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEE RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEERRRRR from Europe or Japan, where it launched alongside the device?

Comedy aside, good on Scamco for not launching DLC Racer in North America until it has a decent amount of content. Otherwise it would've been eaten by WipEout 2048.

Maybe they're taking the time to actually put in more content instead of releasing a boxed copy of a demo game.

Yeah right

botty

Banned
I saw a Vita commercial today. Apparently I can play my PS3 on the bus with it. Guess I don't need a Vita Ridge Racer, right?

jackdoe

Comedy aside, good on Scamco for not launching DLC Racer in North America until it has a decent amount of content. Otherwise it would've been eaten by WipEout 2048.
Hahahahaha. I think they're still releasing the half-assed version in the U.S. judging by the EU reviews.

Thoraxes

But... didn't it get Asphault?

Or was I just imagining things? Because there's still a car game in there somewhere represented.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Vita will suffer the same fate as the Gamecube.

Nintendo displeased the gods by not launching it with Mario, and now Namco has failed with Ridge Racer in a similar way....

antonz

I saw a Vita commercial today. Apparently I can play my PS3 on the bus with it. Guess I don't need a Vita Ridge Racer, right?

The Vita commercial really is pushing the boundries of acceptable advertising. They are blatantly lying about the systems capabilities.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
It's kind of fun, but the truth is that it always released at launch because there is limited choice of games then, and people will turn to Ridge Racer out of desperation for a racer.
Sigh. Ridge Racer is one of the only completely pure arcade racing series left. Ridge Racer's mechanics just feel so god damn good. I'd rather play Ridge Racer than pretty much any other racing series, launch or not.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Despite its apparent dislike on gaf, I was looking forward to it. Until the limited content thing leaked...if the us version has all that, ill more than gladly jump in.

whitehawk

Banned
Sigh. Ridge Racer is one of the only completely pure arcade racing series left. Ridge Racer's mechanics just feel so god damn good. I'd rather play Ridge Racer than pretty much any other racing series, launch or not.
Ridge Racer for the PSP is easily my most played PSP game. It's fun, and it has the best visuals on the PSP. I'm just preaching the truth. Most people wouldn't give RR a chance if a new one launched right now.

90sRobots

Is this even important? Is Ridge Racer even popular in America?

*looks at game sales*

1328594004539s.jpg

I guess haters never played enough Ridge Racer to get to higher tours.

Ex and Max Tours on Ridge Racer 2 are the most exciting times I've had in any racing game I've ever played. They demand perfection, even during ridiculous moments like having to drift upwards on hairpins on the slowest cars.

They're really good pure arcade racers.

Vita one is a joke but everyone already knows why.

Kafel

Banned
It launched in Europe on Day 1 though. And with Namco's cross selling and content added : 10 cars, 10 circuits, 10 €.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Sure this is mentioned elsewhere : Ridge got an update that irons out the frame rate so it's now 30fps *solid* and it makes a huge difference. The free DLC for the music has been nice, another track was released yesterday (meh track is meh), another care was added....

it's getting there - once -everything- is in then the game will be pretty darned good. At the moment , it's lacking way too much. I suspect they feared a backlash in America (?)

Kusano123

Neo Member
Sure this is mentioned elsewhere : Ridge got an update that irons out the frame rate so it's now 30fps *solid* and it makes a huge difference. The free DLC for the music has been nice, another track was released yesterday (meh track is meh), another care was added....

it's getting there - once -everything- is in then the game will be pretty darned good. At the moment , it's lacking way too much. I suspect they feared a backlash in America (?)

Meh, I messed around with it on a friend's vita. Not impressed at all.

I want my 60fps Ridge Racer back.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Ridge Racer sucks though.

Racing games in general are pretty boring or need a gimmick to be fun (i.e. Wipeout, Mario Kart). I doubt anyone really misses Ridge Racer much less desires it as a must have launch title.

DCharlie

Meh, I messed around with it on a friend's vita. Not impressed at all.

I want my 60fps Ridge Racer back.

yup - i went into 3DS Ridge racer with a face like someone was urinating on me, but in the end i loved it.

60fps is absolutely ideal, prior to the patch we weren't even at a 30fps but now, at least, we are. We're not hitting 60fps any time soon. And yup - the game isn't there yet, it'll be a worthwhile package at the end of it, but right now it's a bit too paper thin.

Racing games in general are pretty boring or need a gimmick to be fun (i.e. Wipeout, Mario Kart). I doubt anyone really misses Ridge Racer much less desires it as a must have launch title.

this one has a grinding/leveling motif - it -has- a gimmick, sort of... it might work out and it might not. I'm having as much "fun" doing the spot races as i've had with Ridge but for anyone who is already "Ridge averse/indifferent" then this isn't going to change anyones minds.

Ridge is like a launch tradition - like pretending to enjoy Charlie Brown at xmas. Except it is, occassionally, good.

demolitio

Even if the Vita launched with Ridge Racer, it wouldn't have launched with a Ridge Racer game...if you catch my drift...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
yup - i went into 3DS Ridge racer with a face like someone was urinating on me, but in the end i loved it.

60fps is absolutely ideal, prior to the patch we weren't even at a 30fps but now, at least, we are. We're not hitting 60fps any time soon. And yup - the game isn't there yet, it'll be a worthwhile package at the end of it, but right now it's a bit too paper thin.

wait, what? Patch for 3DS version or Vita version? stable 30fps now?

Kafel

Banned
and not a single fuck was given

I think the line-up is quite stuffed now, they can release it later with more free packs.

DCharlie

wait, what? Patch for 3DS version or Vita version? stable 30fps now?

patch for the Vita version - it's now a stable 30fps.

I think the line-up is quite stuffed now

this is the thing - Sony have dumped the best part of a huge line up so they can make the machine look more attractive vs. the 3DS. I still can't weigh up whether it was a good move or a bad move, all i know is i've got a hell of a back log already.

Darklord

Banned
Probably because it got such a negative response in Japan with all 3 fucking tracks and enough DLC to pay twice for the game. You don't want it.

Top Bottom