• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Movies. 50 Books. 1 Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.fiftyfifty.me/ There's a GoodReads Group too. http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/60735.fiftyfiftyme

DAT LIST

AAequal
BOOKS #1 The Sea and Poison by Shusaku Endo #2 Caim by José Saramago #3 Plague by Albert Camus #4 The Outsider by Albert Camus #5 The Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe #6 American Gods by Neil Gaiman #7 Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima #8 Runaway Horses by Yukio Mishima #9 The Temple of Dawn by Yukio Mishima #10 The Decay of the Angel by Yukio Mishima
MOVIES #1 In Cold Blood by Richard Brooks #2 Encounters at the End of the World by Werner Herzog #3 Breathless by Jean-Luc Godard #4 Dirty Money by Jean-Pierre Melville #5 The Red Circle by Jean-Pierre Melville #6 Cave of Forgotten Dreams by Werner Herzog #7 The White Diamond by Werner Herzog #8 Fall Guy by Kinji Fukasaku #9 Sympathy for the Underdog by Kinji Fukasaku #10 Harlan County, USA by Barbara Kopple

Amir0x
BOOKS 1. Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Isaacson 2. Hitler's Pope: The Secret History of Pius XII by John Cornwell 3. The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle 4. The Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Human Values by Sam Harris
5. Knocking on Heaven's Door: How Physics and Scientific Thinking Illuminate the Universe and the Modern World by Lisa Randall 6. Anathem by Neal Stephenson
MOVIES 1. The Adventures of Tintin 2. Contagion 3. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Sky

AndyD
Books 1. The Trial/Franz Kafka 2. A Selective History Of Max Werner/Scott Forbes
3. A Storm Of Swords/George "Can I Write About Food Some More" "Double-R, Like The Barbie-Que" R.R. Martin
Movies 1. Dinner For Schmucks 2. Due Date 3. The Eagle 4. Date Night 5. Elizabeth I 6. McGruber 7. Leap Year 8. Coming to America 9. Funny People

Angry Fork
Books
1. The Portable Athiest/Beats Me
Movies 1. Battle Royale 2. The Seventh Seal

AvidNobody
Books 1. 1984/Alan Moore, I'm almost positive. Black Dossier was the sequel, right? 2. Ender's Game 3. The Stranger
MOVIES 1. 2001 2. Speed Racer

-Babyteks-
BOOKS 1. I Just Finished The Bedwetter/Sarah Silverman 2. Le comte de monte-cristo - Alexandre Dumas 3. 44 by Joolz Somebody 4. The Color Purple/Alice Walker 5. The Ice Queen/Alice Hoffman

BenjaminBirdie
Books 1. The Book Of Drugs by Mike Doughty 2. A Clash Of Kings/George R.R. Martin
MOVIES 1. Paul 2. Our Idiot Brother 3. Sweet Smell Of Success

bengraven
Books 1. True Grit/The Motherfucking Best Writer On Earth, AKA Charles "Chuckie" Portis
Movies 1. True Grit

besada
Books 1. The Sacred Ginmill Closes/Lawrence Block 2. The Algebraist/Iain M. Banks
Movies 1. Something shitty like Cowboys And Aliens (god's honest, that's what he said) 2. The Debt 3. Middle Men

BobFromPikeCreek
Books 1. Snow Crash/Jim Krakauer? 2. Dune/Jimmie Herbert
Movies 1. Aztec Rex 2. Indiana Jones & The Temple Of Doom 3. Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

CaptYamato
Movies 1. Hunger

Cerebral Assassin
Books 1. Cat's Cradle/Kurt Vonnegut 2. Best Served Cold 3. The Killing Joke
MOVIES 1. The Manchurian Candidate 2. District 13

Chriswok 1. Predator 2. Predator 2 3. Predators 4. AVP: Alien v Predator 5. Jurassic Park 6. One Day 7 AVPR: Aliens vs Predator - Requiem 8 Boyz n the Hood 9 Black Dynamite 10 Conan the Barbarian 11 Friday 12 Conan the Destroyer 13 Batman 14 Patton
BOOKS 1. A Cultured Left Foot - Musa Okwonga 2. SOFI 4: Feast for Crows - George R. R. Martin

Cindres
BOOKS 1. Along Came A Spider/Patterson
Movies 1. Senna 2. The A-Team 3. Leon

Crunched
BOOKS Book 1: Brave New World Book 2: Steve Jobs
MOVIES Movie 1: Amadeus Movie 2: Waiting for Superman Movie 3: Revolution OS Movie 4: Exit Through the Gift Shop Movie 5: Mission Impossible Movie 6: Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father Movie 7: Orgasm, Inc. Movie 8: The Thin Blue Line

dagZ
BOOKS 1. Mockingjay 2. The Hobbit
MOVIES 1. Alien 2. Aliens 3-8. Star Wars I-VI 9. The Art of Flight

Dark Octave
BOOKS 1. Mass Effect: Ascension by Drew Karpyshyn

Doncamatic
BOOKS 1. Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut 2. The Siege of Krishnapur - J. G. Farrell 3. Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie
MOVIES 1. (500) Days of Summer 2. The Trotsky 3. Horrible Bosses

Dresden
BOOKS Book. 1: Hiroshima in Morning Book. 2: Leave It to Psmith Book. 3: The Great Game
MOVIES Movie. 1: Taxi Driver

echoshifting
Books 1. The Case for God/Karen Armstrong
Movies 1. Contaigon
Game 1. Afrika

EliCash
Books 1. A Game Of Thrones/George RR Martin 2. American Gods/Gaiman
Movies 1. A Short Film About Killing

Façade
Books 1. The Selfish Gene/Richard Dawkins
Movies 1. The Lives Of Others

fisheyes
MOVIES 1. The Muppets 2. The Adventures of Tintin

Foob
MOVIES 1. Big Fish 2. Heathers 3. Contagion 4. Boys and Girls

Gilby
BOOKS 1. Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid - Hoffstadter

Gozan
BOOKS Book 1: John Dickson Carr: The Problem of the Green Capsule Book 2: Philip K. Dick: Ubik
MOVIES Movie 1: Gulaal Movie 2: Full Moon Scimitar Movie 3: Sexy Killer Movie 4: The Important Thing Is To Love Movie 5: The Clone Returns Home Movie 6: Don't Go Breaking My Heart

Hilbert
BOOKS 1. The Caves Of Steel/Asimov 2. Containment/Cantrell

i_am-Ben
BOOKS 1. Dune

Jtwo
BOOKS 1. The Deathgate Cycle: Elven Star 2. Mean Genes
MOVIES 1. The Lawnmower Man. 2. Strange Days

Kabouter
Books 1. Postwar/Tony Judt
Movies 1. Moneyball 2. The Manchurian Candidate 3. Killer Elite 4. The Double
Game 1. Puzzle Agent 2. Puzzle Agent 2

Kosh
Books 1. Stories I Only Tell My Friends/Rob "Freak." Lowe 2. Catching Fire/?? 3. Hitch-22/Alfred Hitchcock? I have no idea, why would I? 4. Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine, and the Murder of A President - Candice Millard 5. A Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin
Movies 1. Transformers: Dark Of The Moon 2. The Social Network

Lafiel
BOOKS 1. For whom the bell tolls by Ernest Hemingway 2. Huckleberry finn by Mark Twain
MOVIES 1. All About Eve 2. The Social network 3. Zodiac

Lion Heart
MOVIES 1. Thor 2. Adjustment Bureau 3. Good Will Hunting

Lyonaz
BOOKS 1. The Hunger Games

Maklershed
BOOKS 1. The Devil in the White City 2. Nightwoods 3. Gateway
MOVIES 1. 13 Assassins 2. Tucker & Dale vs Evil 3. The Help 4. Castaway on the Moon 5. Jeremiah Johnson 6. Robin Hood 7. Valkyrie 8. Rise of the Planet of the Apes 9. Bridesmaids

Max Armstrong
MOVIES 01. 13 02. Fast Five 03. Shooter 04. The Guard 05. Meek's Cutoff 06. The Skin I Live In 07. Kill List 08. Certified Copy 09. Jane Eyre 10. Martha Marcy May Marlene 11. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 12. War Horse 13. The Help 14. We Need To Talk About Kevin 15. A Separation 16. Melancholia 17. Zodiac 18. Source Code 19. The Tree of Life 20. Youth in Revolt 21. In a Better World 22. The Secret In Their Eyes 23. Bottle Rocket 24. Rushmore 25. The Royal Tenenbaums

Meadows
Books 1. Grapes Of Wrath/Drednoks

MorisUkunRasik
BOOKS 1) The Pearl 2) The Sun Also Rises
MOVIES 1) 2001

Murkas
BOOKS 1. A Storm Of Swords/George R.R. Martin
MOVIES 1. The Amityville Horror 2. Braveheart

Nappuccino
MOVIES Movie 1: Seven Movie 2: Jurassic Park Movie 3: Inglorious Basterds Movie 4: The Adventures of Tin Tin Movie 5: Jackass 2.5 Movie 6: Jackass 3

Nerdsteve
Movies 1. The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

Nista
BOOKS 1. Essential German Grammar 2. Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat 3. Ultimate Speed Secrets
MOVIES 1. Tree of Life 2. The Twilight Samurai 3. Chronicles of Riddick 4. An Arctic Tale 5. Freakonomics 6. The Medallion
7. Mystery Men 8. Arthur 9. Fatal Attraction 10. Tintin

PhoncipleBone
BOOKS 1. Hound Of The Baskervilles
MOVIES 1. Alien 2. Aliens 3. Age Of Innocence

Plywood
BOOKS 1. Halo: The Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund 2. Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin 3. House of Pomegranates by Oscar Wilde 4. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 5. Halo: First Strike by Eric Nylund 6. Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ by Lewis Wallace 7. Shogun A Novel of Japan by James Clavell 8. The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman 9. A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess 10. Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby Jr. 11. The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood 12. A Feast of Crows by George R.R. Martin
MOVIES 1. The Social Network 2. Clerks 3. Sin Nombre 4. The Blues Brothers 5. Edward Scissorhands 6. Tokyo Gore Police 7. Howl's Moving Castle 8. Black Snake Moan 9. The Shrine 10. Silmido 11. The Baader Meinhof Complex 12. Apocalypse Now 13. The Iron Giant 14. The Game 15. Blade Runner: Theatrical Cut 16. Insidious 17. Let the Right One In 18. Let Me In

Ratrat
BOOKS 1. Jane Eyre 2. The Long Ships
MOVIES 1. Never Let Me Go 2. Robocop

RedShift
Books 1. True Grit/Charles "Still The Greatest" Portis

ReiGun
BOOKS 1. Comics Creators on Spider-Man
MOVIES 1. Raiders of the Lost Ark

roosters93
BOOKS 1. People's Republic/Robert Muchamore
MOVIES 1. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 2. Hugo 3. 50/50

runlikehell
Books 1. Dubliners/James Joyce
Movies 1. The Book Of Eli

ShinAmano
Books 1. Hunger Games/Ain't that a Chris Isaak song? 2. Catching Fire/Is this the book Backdraft is based on? 3. Mockingjay/Who wrote that Leno/Letterman book? 4. The Zombie Survival Guide
MOVIES 1. Attack The Block 2. Trust 3. Paranormal Activity 2 4. The Hangover II

Sovereign
BOOKS 1. The Sign Of The Four/Doyle

survivor
Books 1. East of Eden/Preston Sturges I'm almost positive
Movies 1. Millennium Actress

tagrat
MOVIES 01. Moneyball 02. Mission: Impossible- Ghost Protocol 03. Tucker & Dale vs. Evil 04. Morning Glory 05. Machete Maidens Unleashed! 06. The Trip

thestopsign
Books 1. Cryptonomicon/A Transformer? 2. Angels and Demons/Was this that HBO mini series maybe?
Movies 1. Drive 2. Bridesmaids Movie #3: Elephant by Gus Van Sant Movie #4: Bowling for Columbine by Michael Moore 5. Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Game 1. Bastion

thomaser
BOOKS 1: Murakami: Ungerground 2: Franzen: Freedom

traveler
BOOKS 1. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay 2. The Tiger's Wife
MOVIES 1. Blade Runner

weepy
BOOKS 1. Mysterious Skin
MOVIES 1. Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol

Wolfe
BOOKS 1. The Hobbit
MOVIES 1. Alien

xBigDanx
BOOKS 1. God, No! by Penn Jillette
MOVIES 1. Tucker and Dale vs Evil 2. True Grit 3. The Adjustment Bureau 4. Ip Man 5. Midnight in Paris

Yes Boss!
BOOKS 1. The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses
MOVIES 1. Vinnaithaandi Varuvaaya 2. Darling 3. Guzaarish 4. Golcanda High School

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Movies would be easy, but i only read on the shitter and i don't take that many shits for 50 books.

bengraven

Sweet, my first week is already down.

Just read True Grit on New Years (a bit over 200 pages) and watched the Coen True Grit yesterday.

I will never intentionally finish this. But I will still finish this. I read a book or two every week, sometimes three and watch quite a few films, so eh.

I couldn't even imagine reading 10 books in a year.

andycapps

That's an awesome goal, but I don't think I'll do that many this year. Probably in the neighborhood of 10-20 books. Many more movies than that.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Easily did this last year without even trying. A book a week? Not everything's an 800-page fantasy epic series ya know.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
A book a week? On what planet is that average? Planet All Books Are 200 Pages And No One Has Jobs?

Yes! This is the internet! We read books before they're even released and then post spoilers! You should be able to read 50 books in a week! You should be able to read Dance With Dragons 50 times in a week!

/

btw Benjamin, I think you're setting yourself a mammoth task starting with a GRRM. I think that book took me a month to read :|

I like reading and do a lot of it, but I don't want the pressure of reading that many books that quickly. You want lots of short old pulp novels. I used to read a Phil K Dick book every couple of days, that's do-able.

I'll easily get 50 movies watched. With two boys of teenage years, we go through a lot of movies.

I'll be lucky to get 15 books in though. Would probably be more if I weren't trying to get through my hardcopy backlog so that I could spend more time reading on the Kindle.

That and GAF. 50 pages per day on GAF? Let's go for 50/50/50.

Yes! This is the internet! We read books before they're even released and then post spoilers! You should be able to read 50 books in a week! You should be able to read Dance With Dragons 50 times in a week!

/

btw Benjamin, I think you're setting yourself a mammoth task starting with a GRRM. I think that book took me a month to read :|

I like reading and do a lot of it, but I don't want the pressure of reading that many books that quickly. You want lots of short old pulp novels. I used to read a Phil K Dick book every couple of days, that's do-able.

I'm going through it surprisingly quickly. Thrones took forever because I'd seen the series first so there wasn't much dramatic motivation. But now, holy moly, I'm tearing through it.

Also, I'll have some Graphic Novels to help me catch up.

I might end up being flexible on the Comics "rules" (there are no official rules, it's all up to you, of course). I'd really like to get through the Plague Of Frogs BRPD hardcovers and I feel like if you can count Ice And Fire, you should be able to count something like that. But I don't think counting something like X-Men Legacy vol. 3 is really fair.

Personally speaking. Cada uno a su gusto.

What the heck? I am assuming either movies are your job or you do not have a 40 hour a week job. No way could I watch almost two movies a night.
Well it's not like I do it every month, I rarely go over 30 a month, it's very time consuming, but if you do it for a "challenge" it can be done easily. Two movies a night is not that hard, plus the weekends you can watch 4-5 per day. The most I've done is 64 in a month, but I was unemployed at the time.

ultron87

I don't think the books on my "want to read" pile really line up with the possibility of reading 50 in a year. Too many long-ass fantasy and sci fi series.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Damn, I would have been able to do fifty books no problem back in high-school, but college has drained my free time so much.

Jme

50 movies sounds like something that would just naturally occur for me. But after 31 days of halloween, I'm not ready to commit to a number and feel obligated.
I would pay handsomely for the amount of free time required to fit in 50 books...

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
50 books a year. Dang.

I'm a pretty avid reader, but when I finish a book I need some down time to absorb and reflect on what I just read. Plus, not all books should be read at the same pace.

Keeping yourself on a 50 book a year pace sounds like it can easily start feeling like a chore. Especially with genre fatigue and going through jarring shifts in writing style/quality between books.

Reading 50 books in a year means you'd have to restrict yourself to shorter ones, which cuts out a lot of classics. That defeats the whole point of this to me.

Kabouter

I'm tempted, but think I'll pass on this. To get to 50 in terms of books, I'd have to start reading different ones. Most books I read now are far too long to keep up an average of almost one a week.

TheExodu5

Banned
It's taken my 4 years and I haven't even finished the 3rd book of ASOIAF. At this pace, I'll be done the 5th just by the time the 6th is going to be release.

http://www.fiftyfifty.me/

Anyone else taking part in this?

There's a GoodReads Group too. http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/60735.fiftyfiftyme

Thought it might be fun to have a thread for it. So we can follow along our progress.

I'm starting off with Clash Of Kings by George R.R. "Georgie Boy" Martin. Haven't seen a new movie yet.

So...

Books

1. "A Clash Of Kings" By George R.R. Martin

You're seriously reading GRRM books in a single week each?

I think my head would explode. I've been taking a good month on each. They're so dense, and my job doesn't leave me a whole lot of time for leisure reading. But to each his own.

i've read GRRM books in a week, not a big deal. when i read then i do it fast and intensive. i only read 4-5 books a year though.

You're seriously reading GRRM books in a single week each?

I think my head would explode. I've been taking a good month on each. They're so dense, and my job doesn't leave me a whole lot of time for leisure reading. But to each his own.

No, as I said, I'm going to balance things out with shorter stuff, some graphic novels. I'm confident. I certainly don't intend to read a GRRM a week.

Must be nice to have ample free time.

a whole lot nicer than work your ass off. i always sigh when people moan and cry that they don't have time for this and that and their usually the ones who work a lot to get big money and not the ones who have to work a lot to get by. the latter are obviously excused.

if you like reading and watching movie you could do this easily. i don't want to know how many 'waste' their time browsing the internets.

a whole lot nicer than work your ass off. i always sigh when people moan and cry that they don't have time for this and that and their usually the ones who work a lot to get big money and not the ones who have to work a lot to get by. the latter are obviously excused.

if you like reading and watching movie you could do this easily. i don't want to know how many 'waste' their time browsing the internets.

I don't really understand what your point is here. It's difficult to sink that much time into anything if you're a working adult, regardless of how much money you make.

I really enjoy reading, though there's no way that I have enough time to finish a book that would be on average a few hundred pages per week. I have responsibilities that just wouldn't allow for me to sink that much time into a hobby.

besada

Banned
I'm not signing up, but I'll be doing it anyway. I already read one or two books a week and watch at least one movie a week. Hell, I'm doing crime novels at the moment, so I'll be weeks ahead. They're like eating potato chips.

SolKane

I could easily do 50 books, 50 movies on the other hand would be difficult. For some reason I just don't have the attention span to complete movies, but I have no problem reading books. Maybe it's because there's more quality or reward in the former than the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom