• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Simcity, it's actually a very well made game.

imjust1n

Banned
I get the whole drm always online argument so let's lay that to rest.

Let's talk about the actual game. The mechanics and gameplay are very well done. From a rpg/upgrade system to connection with friends in your region. The awesome animations in watching your city grow and always wanting more. I've put a lot of hours so far into the game. My question is besides the drm and small maps what did you like about the gameplay? do you go on twitch and watch people play?

lolmark

Honestly, when I actually do get to play, the less I like about it. I don't like that there are arbitrary borders surrounding my city. It feels like I'm running out of space too quickly.

qwerty2k

so we have to disregard the 2 most crucial things about the game? the city sizes and the fact it forces you to play online and shoehorns multiplayer in where to be honest it wasn't needed or wanted?

Philia

This game isn't SimCity. This game is SIMcity. Makers of Sims to build a city for the Sims. So its pretty much like SimCity Lite. :\

That's not what I wanted. I don't like The Sims. I don't want my city be revolving around the darn Sims.

i-say-we-let-im-go.jpg

I say we let him go!

orznge

Banned
seems like it's really easy to grief people in this game tbh, has anyone been on the receiving end of that yet?

Veritas_

I guess I'm in a small (hah) minority, but I don't have much of an issue with the smaller city sizes. The simulation itself is so much more complex and involved that trying to micromanage anything larger is going to just be exponentially more difficult. I just prefer a smaller more focused micro-management than a huge sprawl.

That isn't to say I don't have issues with the game.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I had loads of fun for the first few days before things went really bad.

sp3000

It's debatable whether it's better than Simcity 4. The city size imposes pretty tremendous limitations that hurt the experience. It turns into a game of where can I fit this, rather than a game of can I afford it and is it worth the tradeoff.

Randdalf

I just saw a thread on /v/ proclaiming that the most optimal city layout has already been found, apparently that used to take years with the older games.

AngryMoth

I haven't bought the game so my opinion holds no authority but my interest was killed when I saw the max city size when watching the giant bomb quick look. Early game looks fun but trying to cram everything in for max efficiency and managing other cities to take care of stuff I can't fit in my main city isn't the way I want to play.

buhdeh

Small city sizes destroyed any interest I had in this game. Its actually made me more interested in trying out SimCity 4

TheNatural

My Member!
Its going to get backed up.
I had no problems at all.
In fact I love the game played if for the past 3 hours if work wasnt tomorrow it would of been
more

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/simcity/user-reviews

Who ever is spamming SimCity user review on Metacritic needs to stop.
The game is really good, stop being a big baby because the server is busy
or you cant make a giant city like you wanted to.
It was very well made and its honestly a way better rating then what these childish
morons are saying. Grow up.

Complaining about you not able to get online is not going to fix the problem....If you are that mad return the game and dont bother with it.

Im pretty sure EA or Maxis or who ever is running the servers is trying to fix
the problem. The game came out yesterday, maybe they didnt think the
game was going to be this popular?

I enjoy the game very much and I hate seeing a game thats good get bashed
just because you're impatient people. Grow up.

We dont need a billion people complaining at the same place at the same time after you just saw someone complaining then going on twitch and the streams and complain

it annoying stop it. I dont care if you cant wait. I paid money too and im perfectly fine waiting or playing another game. Games are not real life.

Its a digital sale theres no refunds on digital items once installed.

Its like that everywhere. Unless its a smartphone app then you have 15 mins lol.

Deal with the problems or just dont play the game.

Why would you refund the game? The game is actually a very good game cant blame the actually game for EA server issue? People worked very hard on that game.

I think people are so narrow minded they only care about me me me now now now.

I understand you paid 60 bucks and you have to wait but ive waited a total of 30 mins and I was playing perfectly fine. Plus Im pretty sure this is not a perm thing Im pretty sure theyre trying to fix the problem.

If you guys keep complaining its not actually fixing the problem youre just being annoying.

Posts from other threads. Viral marketer or batshit fanboy? What a defense force.

Interfectum

Can I make a huge city, save it, destroy it for fun, reload old save and continue to build the city? If not, then it's not a well made SimCity game.

Game itself sounds fine, but not at the cost of a proper Simcity game where I can have a big, completely independent city.

Seems bonkers that you'd even have to ask for that. What's there now would be a fine multiplayer component to a proper Simcity game.

I haven't bought the game so my opinion holds no authority but my interest was killed when I saw the max city size when watching the giant bomb quick look. Early game looks fun but trying to cram everything in for max efficiency and managing other cities to take care of stuff I can't fit in my main city isn't the way I want to play.

This is a killer. We have PC's that can handle massive city sizes and they limit our growth potential with such nonsense.

Recall

Does this guy work for EA?

I'm unable to make any opinion about the game as I've yet to be able to play it. Still waiting on servers.

Eusis

Someone check his IP and make sure he isn't connecting from China.
I can't help but think the avatar says everything, even though I sure as hell can't really explain why. Guy being a dork trying badly to argue something's good when no one gives a shit?

This isn't like when Ubisoft used this DRM where, for the MOST PART you could play, the DRM's actively stonewalling people from playing and they're slicing down on the game in a bad attempt to get it to work. I could be more sympathetic if things were running OK though there's something to be said for standing by principles and refusing to encourage practices that clasp down on our freedom to enjoy entertainment reasonably, but we're talking about one of the most botched launches I've ever seen, and it's easier to avoid than the likes of Anarchy Online given this should have been able to have an offline mode I'd assume, even if it's a separate city from online play.

Stitch

Gold Member
ohh dis gon b gud

btw Sim City 4 works really fine on win7. not sure why people say it doesn't.

It was really fun the first few days before they neutered it. Now without cheetah, global markets, leaderboards, flaky region trading, achievements, etc etc it is pretty horrible. I was having fun the first few days building cities to unlock achievements and I actually really liked the MMO aspects. My cities felt more meaningful knowing I was in a region with a bunch of other people.

Boss Man

Why would you refund the game? The game is actually a very good game cant blame the actually game for EA server issue? People worked very hard on that game.

I think people are so narrow minded they only care about me me me now now now.

I understand you paid 60 bucks and you have to wait but ive waited a total of 30 mins and I was playing perfectly fine. Plus Im pretty sure this is not a perm thing Im pretty sure theyre trying to fix the problem.

If you guys keep complaining its not actually fixing the problem youre just being annoying.
What the fuck is this?

Afrikan

This game isn't SimCity. This game is SIMcity. Makers of Sims to build a city for the Sims. So its pretty much like SimCity Lite. :\

That's not what I wanted. I don't like The Sims. I don't want my city be revolving around the darn Sims.

did not know this.... I thought it would be like good o'l SimCity 2000 or something, dang.

my ex loves the Sims and their weird language...she'd love this game.

I can't see how its much of an improvement from Sim City 4. You could already set up deals to exchange resources between cities. You could put sims in the city to see how they get around. Only difference is they limited the size of the plots so you'd have to exchange goods between cities instead of being able to create a self sufficient city.

Philia

did not know this.... I thought it would be like good o'l SimCity 2000 or something, dang.

my ex loves the Sims and their weird language...she'd love this game.

Yeah they built the city to revolve around THESE sims and their ambiguous desires than your own plans of being a mayor of an efficiently run city. :\

That and being reliant on your neighbors' good standing. Good god, the amount of griefing in that.

syoaran

It is fun. And there is a level of complexity here I didn't expect.

Still, there are a ton of issues with the game. While I love the data layers, the move to a completely visual form of data management means a lot of ambiguity. Local and Regional demand seem to fluctuate at random, without much context. Looking at the data given to me, I'm uncertain on how to remedy problems. This is a major problem with the game design. It doesn't help that advisers and protestors seem to lag behind, giving the player the impression that they need to overcompensate for various issues.

City size is a doubled edge sword. The pro here is that it adds to the difficulty. Unless you've played a few cities before [or you cheated by pouring over min-max guides], your going to have to rebuild portions to make traffic flow better, retool and upgrade your facilities to cope with higher demand and make room for your specialization.

The negative is that it's still too small and really feels like your making a district, not a city. Starting each new suburb feels like going though the motions for the first few hours until you hope it all clicks together. It's not a very satisfying experience as a result.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It is a pretty good game. The launch is a pathetic clusterfuck that I feel ashamed to have taken part in, but eventually things will be smoothed over and it'll likely be a game I play for a long time. This situation won't soon be forgotten, but the game is salvageable.

rac

Banned
How much smaller are the cities compared to SimCity 4?

edit: I've never played any Simcity game before and was actually thinking about buying this one. Maybe I'll just wait till 4 goes on sale though.

Top Bottom