• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
bioinfsysreqspxqs6.jpg

bioinfsysreqs_mach3pdk.jpg

bioinfsysreqs_linuxzppes.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Tips and tricks:
Various CPU/GPU benchmarks and data: See this GameGPU article.
Note: The article is in Russian, but the data is presented via graphs.
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Mitigate stuttering (1): Navigate to (My) Documents\my games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config, open XEngine.ini, and follow the instructions in this post. (Credit to Mechazawa.)
Mitigate stuttering (2): If you have a card with more than 512MB of VRAM, find the PoolSize cvar in XEngine.ini and change it according to your amount of GPU memory, using the formula [amount of VRAM in GB] x 600 -- also ensure that the -ReadTexturePoolFromIni cvar has been added to the game's launch options (right-click -> Properties -> Set launch options; may cause instability). (Credit to GSY Miguel and antitrop.)
Mitigate stuttering (3): Set bInitializeShadersOnDemand cvars in XEngine.ini and XCompat.ini to TRUE. (Credit to Irrational itself via KoruptData.)
Mitigate stuttering (4): Set bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming in XEngine.ini to FALSE.
Note: Will break certain script events.
Expand the FoV slider: Navigate to (My) Documents\my games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config and open XUserOptions.ini. Search the file for FieldOfView (not to be confused with DefaultFieldOfView), setting it to 1.500000, and MaxUserFOVOffsetPercent, setting it to 45.000000 -- adjust if necessary. (Credit to puzle.)
Expand the mouse sensitivity slider: Navigate to (My) Documents\my games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config and open XUserOptions.ini. Search the file for MaxMouseLookSensitivity and change the value accordingly -- 0.700000 would be a good starting point. (Credit to antitrop.)
"Disable" HUD: Navigate to (My) Documents\my games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config and open XGame.ini. Follow the instructions here and adjust the X (horizontal) and Y (vertical) values according to your resolution to effectively push it out of the way. (Credit to JonasBeckman @ Guru3D via jim2point0.)
Scale HUD: Navigate to (My) Documents\my games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config and open XUI.ini. Find the MaxResolutionUpScale cvar and adjust it according to your resolution (e.g. 0.5 works well for 2560x1600). (Credit to epmode.)
Improve SLI performance: Change the SLI compatibility bit in the game's Nvidia Inspector profile to 0x0C1902F5. (Credit to MaLDo.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics options:

Display mode: Windowed (Fullscreen), Windowed, Fullscreen
Graphics quality: Preset/Custom
Preset: Very low; Low; Medium; High; Very High; Ultra
Custom:
-- Antialiasing: Off/On (FXAA)
-- Texture detail: Very low; Low; Normal; High; Ultra
-- Texture filtering: Low; Normal; High; Ultra

-- Dynamic shadows: Off; Low; Normal; High; Very High; Ultra
-- Postprocessing: Normal/Alternate
-- Light shafts: Off; On
-- Ambient occlusion: Off; Low; Normal; High; Ultra
-- Object LOD: Very low; Low; Normal; High; Ultra

My benchmarks:
The included benchmark tool is accessible from the Steam client; it's one of the two launch options when clicking the "Play" button:

bioinfbenchmarktoolvvblq.jpg

Specs: 8GB DDR3-1600, 2600K @ 4.6GHz, 2GB GTX 670 SLI (314.22 drivers)

1680x1050, UltraDX11_DDOF preset:
bioinfbenchmarkresult3sahu.jpg

1920x1200, UltraDX11_DDOF preset:
bioinfbenchmarkresult3fiux.jpg

Relative differences (average framerate; 1050p versus 1200p):
Welcome Centre: -13.86fps
Town Centre: -25.38fps
Raffle: -25.19fps
Monument Island: -38.05fps
Overall: -21.21fps

1680x1050, UltraDX11_DDOF preset, SLI disabled:
bioinfbenchmarkresult6rcr0.jpg

Relative differences (average framerate; SLI enabled versus disabled):
Welcome Centre: +28.8fps
Town Centre: +70.77fps
Raffle: +67.01fps
Monument Island: +95.7fps
Overall: +55.3fps

JeffGrubb

Just stopping in to say it ran well on my humble Nvidia GT 650M. Set between "High" and "Very High" I got around 30 FPS.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Everyone whom is not me please don't play on PC until it unlocks for me. Thanks. But if you do, post how I can run it at the maximum when it does unlock. But don't play it.

-----so jelly......

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It looks like the AA options are simply on/off?

I was hoping I'd be able to maximize performance on my 460 by going 1920x1080 with light AA.

Meia

560 Ti, also wondering how mine will work with it. Had no problems with Tomb Raider, so we'll see how this goes.

Thank you gaf and the make a pc thread I used a year ago. :p

Gav47

Do the ultra textures look as good as released screenshots or does it look like the HD texture pack is still coming?

derder

I think I'll wait until the next release of amd drivers before jumping in. Does this support 3d?

1080p

Yes, they're fvcking gorgeous.
I can post screens if people want but I dunno if it's allowed or considered spoilers

I don't think that's really spoiling anything if you're not showing bosses, etc.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
560 Ti, also wondering how mine will work with it. Had no problems with Tomb Raider, so we'll see how this goes.

Thank you gaf and the make a pc thread I used a year ago. :p

Also a 560ti owner, what settings did you run tomb raider at and what was the frame rate average?

Meia

Also a 560ti owner, what settings did you run tomb raider at and what was the frame rate average?

1680x1050 is my monitor, so that's what I ran at, everything maxed(hair turned off, cause yeah, no), and was at 50fps the whole time.

60 fps is nice, would like it, but if it doesn't interfere with my ability to score headshots en masse, and doesn't take you out of the game, I don't *need* it. The hair thing I'm thankful I didn't like either, cause that tanked my fps to a choppy sub 20.

Dennis

Banned
Yes, they're fvcking gorgeous.
I can post screens if people want but I dunno if it's allowed or considered spoilers
I command you to do this.

Surely you can find a non-spoilery place with good textures.

Edit: OK, those are the low res textures, now post the Ultra.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Nvidia Inspector and Downsampling. These days I don't even use in-game AA settings, anymore.

Yeah, I followed instructions posted on GAF (I think) for Dishonored and it worked great. Is it simply a matter of creating a profile and setting that one option, or do I have to correctly configure other options as well?

Top Bottom