• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steam_Logo.jpg

Steam
Official Steam GIFTING thread of equal global distribution
2010 Thread

What is Steam-

a digital distribution, digital rights management, multiplayer and communications platform developed by Valve Corporation. It is used to distribute games and related media online, from small independent developers to larger software houses. Steam also has community features, automated game updates, and in-game voice and chat functionality.

As of 2010, there are over 1,100 games available through Steam.[3] In January 2010 Valve claimed that it had surpassed 25 million active user accounts.[4] Although Valve never releases sales figures, Steam is estimated to have a 70% share of the digital distribution market for video games.[5]

Many major publishers have catalogs on Steam, including Electronic Arts, Activision, 2K Games, Ubisoft, THQ, Sega, Codemasters, id Software, LucasArts, Capcom, Rockstar Games, Square Enix and Bethesda Softworks.

TIPS

Search other regions of the Steam store-

adding'?cc=uk', '?cc=us', '?cc=fr' at the end of Steam's address.
Multiple credit cards-
You can spread the payments over multiple credit cards by adding money from each card/ account to your steam wallet:
1)Log into the client
2)Click on '.... account' at the top right corner of the page
3)Click 'add funds to Steam wallet'
DO. NOT. FILE. A. CHARGEBACK! Work with Valve directly to fix the issue.

FAQ-
How do I contact Steam support?
Steam Support
Is my support account the same as my Steam account?
No. Your Steam, Steam Forums, and Steam Support accounts are all different
How often are their sales?
  • Midweek Sale-Tuesday through Thursday.
  • Weekend Sale- Thurs through Monday morning.
  • Weeklong Sale- Monday through Friday
Is there offline mode?
Yes, from within the client click on 'Steam' and then select 'Go offline'. You will have to store your log in information and periodically go online to verify files.
Which games can I register on Steam?
Here is a list
How can I add a non Steam game to the client?
Go to 'GAMES' and click on 'Add a non-Steam game to library'

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

I love Steam. Here's to another year of buying games I've never heard of and will probably never play, just because they're on sale.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I passed 100 titles on my account! Technically only 92 games, Several mods, the Humble Indie Bundle, bunch of Valve stuff, etc.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I have 83 games and only played through 34. Thanks Steam for making me feel like a consumer whore! ...can't wait until Recetter goes back on sale

Currently ballooned up to 250 (71 installed) games thanks to recent sales. That number includes source mods(5), non-steam games(3) and expansions.

Seagoon

Steam seems to be the online community / storefront that PSN and XBL want to be someday.

One thing I'd like to see is a 'Made for Steam' type certification, games with this certification should have at the very least:
Steam Cloud support
Windows 7 x64 Compatible
Widescreen Support
Controller support
No Additional DRM
Cross Platform where possible

I guess something similar to the whole GFW program, but something that actually works :lol

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
You know what, I've actually got to a point where I look at my games list and think "Really, what the HELL have I been doing"?

I would make a New Year's resolution to never buy a game on Steam again, but I'll know I would break it, probably tomorrow. Damn you Valve!

jrs

Neo Member
It just keeps on growing, soon my 2TB Black will be full.

356 Games with a value of $5643.77 USD

I had to buy a 2TB HDD for game backup storage last week because of Steam filling up a 1TB HDD. Here's to another year and filling up that drive!

darkpaladinmfc said:
How the hell can you guys have over a TB of Steam games :lol, all my PC games are only 800GB or so.
Not only that, but probably haven't finished like %10 of those games. :lol

I only have 40 games in Steam and I still need to finish and/or play more than half of them. :lol

2011: the year we got an Episode 3 screenshot.

Ah, who am I kidding! It ain't gonna happen. I say give it another three years until we get a screenshot.

I just want to say Clickr is awesome. it supports all the steam features such as steam clouds and even have online multiplayer and achievements. and did i tell you it's awesome? :lol.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
At times I really feel like giving up gaming and then Steam just bitch-slaps me and I come back crying.

I wish they'd sell Steam Wallet cards in stores. It would really make it easy for relatives to get me something as a gift, since right now they don't know what at all to get me.

markot

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
I wish they'd sell Steam Wallet cards in stores. It would really make it easy for relatives to get me something as a gift, since right now they don't know what at all to get me.
I dont see Gamestop stocking something that is taking business from them. Not unless they get like 30% of each card >.<

graywolf323

w00t new thread

now leggo of my wallet for a while Steam I need to recover :lol

balladofwindfishes said:

same I might have spent more during the holiday sale if I could have gotten Steam cards at Best Buy using gift cards I got for there (like I did getting an Amazon gift card, PSN card, and iTunes card from Best Buy)

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Nice, "My History" got fixed.

Weenerz

Banned
Not many games left on Steam that I really needed besides coming soon games, so this year should be cheaper (I hope).

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Anyone figured out a reliable fix to get around certain game downloads being constantly "suspended"?

Also some games just will not install no matter what and no matter what server. I figured it was due to the Steam sale but c'mon.

I NEED DIVINE WIND. RELEASE IT PARADOX.

When there are the next sales? I waited to the last day to buy all the stuff that was not day of the deal, and I had to do overtime at work so I missed the opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom