• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

soultron

Banned
July 2012: New DLC coming soon? See post #5479 for details!

I tried something new with this |OT|; try clicking the images to be lead to relevant information!
Post #3 contains all post-launch news such as DLC and patch notes.

ifFOaLyEVvcOz.png

ilYeZu6i87XPJ.png

izSN8ejXigljI.png

iz208mLHIgMil.png

i1XmyURlljDIy.png

soultron

Banned

iMpyhz3rSy9Rg.png

• 3 Event Types:
    1. Race It: Traditional SSX racing you know and love. Be the first to the bottom!
    2. Trick It: Traditional SSX tricky action. Drop massive tricks, big score gooooood.
    3. Survive It: New to SSX. Conquer 9 deadly descents (and several other runs) focused around overcoming natural hazards such as avalanches, whiteouts, trees, and more. (Sorry, no explosions or mercenaries chasing you with guns.)
  • 3 Modes:
    1. World Tour:
      • Compete against AI characters
      • Light fiction that pits Zoe and Team SSX against Griff
      • Play as all of the characters over the course of the campaign; beat them to unlock them
      • Collisions with characters (this is the only mode that features collisions)
    2. Explore
      • Challenge the dev team scores as you out race/trick/surive for their gold, silver, and bronze medals.
      • A friend's ghost (you choose this ghost by selecting that friend using RiderNet) will also appear for you to beat!
      • Play how you like: you can choose to play only Race, Trick, Survive, or any combination of the three event types.
    3. Global Events
      • Play online against the world in events with as little as one other player, or as many as you can imagine! (The game is merely limited to the amount of people who want to compete.)
      • Compete for credits, earn your take depending on what bracket you place in when the event is over!
      • Do multiple runs if possible; events have set durations in which you can perform multiple runs -- your best score/time is submitted.
      • ZERO LAG because you're not technically linked to other players' sessions.
      • You can play with friends or without them: simultaneous live and asynchronous multiplayer. (If you're confused, click here to watch a video explaining it all.)
      • Compete with everyone in the world or make custom-tailored Private Global Events for your and your friends.
      • Note: there is no voice chat on PS3 because of PSN/SEN limitations. The developers are trying to find ways around this. Everyone (regardless of PS3 or 360) can talk to their friends in other events; 360 users can use Party Chat, and PS3 users can now use the newly-implemented RiderNet Radio! (It's in the 1.02 patch!)

• RiderNet Engine (It's kinda like Need For Speed's Autolog):
    • Your friends scores and times will be seen at the end of every drop, so you'll constantly know how you're stacking up. You'll even see ghost data depending on what mode you're in.
    • You can favourite runs and RiderNet will recommend you runs based on your preferences.
    • Find challenges by hitting back/select on any menu to bring up your RiderNet Wall, whereupon you'll see friends', what scores/times they just posted, and who to challenge next.
    • Certain friends constantly stomping you? Hiding their postings and ghosts is possible! (If you're confused, I'd suggest watching this video, which includes RiderNet functionality commentary from the developers.)

• 150+ drops, all using the 3 event types, Trick It, Race It, and Survive It. Earn credits for successful runs regardless of whatever mode you're playing!
  • Take a penalty to use the new rewind mechanic if you bail really hard!
  • Super-duper fast loading! +4 seconds to restart a run!
  • Custom soundtracks! Even better yet, the game remixes your songs! Here the song hollow out when you catch air, stereo pans when you carve hard, and more.
  • If hearing "IT'S TRICKAAAYYY" every 10 seconds bothers you, you can turn it off!
  • Three camera options, one super close just like old SSX games!
  • Earn credits in every event, in every mode, with which to outfit your characters with new survival gear, boards, consumable MODs, and outfits. There are thousands of items in the game!
  • Collect 599 snowflakes to earn credits! They've been placed (some are hidden away; one worth 1 million credits) all over the SSX game world by the developers! Better gear and a higher character level means you'll find more! (This will lead to an addiction for those who loved Agility Orbs in Crackdown, I'm sure.)
  • Place GeoTags and find your friends' GeoTags! GeoTags have a timer that earns the buyer loads of credits as it ticks down. If someone finds it before then, both people get a share!
  • New physics system lets you ride anywhere, grind anything with a raised edge! (You can now DO A BARREL ROLL! But you could always use the boost to get through.)
  • Hella wide-open runs with multiple routes!
  • Smaller runs with a narrower focus for those who aren't claustrophobic!
  • 9 regions each with a mix of man-made, shared, and unique terrain features!
  • Bad-ass new trick system that's easy to learn but provides depth!
  • Two live, simultaneous control schemes in the Standard set-up; buttons (for you tactile people) and sticks (for you Skate fans)!
  • Classic controls for series veterans!
  • Snow!

MerquryCity.com: the SSX fan site where you'll find a discussion board full of the best (and friendliest) SSX players in the world. Click on the "Gravitude Bar" to find the forums!
How The Online Pass Works In SSX (You Still Get Multiplayer!)
Breakdown of the Badges and Medals in SSX (Thanks to GAFer Hawk xSx!)
Breakdown of the Trick System (Thanks to GAFer StrikerObi!)
Trick Tips (a constant WIP)

iba5DqhqfqOkrd.png

THIS IS SSX -- The best trailer as it outlines all the game's many features!
[GLOBAL EVENTS & RiderNet] With Developer Commentary -- Also worth watching as RiderNet is shown in action!
SSX Demo Tricks & Tips: Race It on JT2 (Rockies)
SSX Launch Trailer
Global Events Gameplay: Patagonia
Uber Mondays: Tane
Uber Mondays: Ty
Uber Mondays: Elise
Uber Mondays: Mac
Uber Mondays: Zoe
Uber Mondays: Kaori
Uber Mondays: Moby
Uber Mondays: Eddie
REGION GAMEPLAY: Antarctica
REGION GAMEPLAY:Africa
REGION GAMEPLAY: Himalayas
REGION GAMEPLAY: New Zealand
REGION GAMEPLAY: Siberia
REGION GAMEPLAY: Alps
REGION GAMEPLAY: Rockies
Run D.M.C. (Pretty Lights Remix) "It's TRICKY" Trailer
Travis Rice's "The Evolution of Tricks"
MODERN DAY EXPLORER (Travis Rice/The Art of Flight promotional tie-in video)
MUSIC OF SSX Producer Video
MASSIVE WORLD Series Part 1
MASSIVE WORLD Series Part 2
MASSIVE WORLD Series Part 3
Gamescom 2011 Trailer
E32011: Survive It Gameplay
E32011: Trick It Gameplay
E32011: Race It Gameplay
Original Reveal Trailer: Mac Himalayas Gameplay
LOOK BACK AND LAUGH: The Terribad VGA Reveal Trailer

ioMu5LA1aN6sp.png

iQzpbMxNMdC1s.png

iAskq9nFVyO8A.png

Click the image for full listing with YouTube links and purchasing options.
Bgamer90's SSX Custom Soundtrack Recommendation thread.
JasonMCG's Spotify Collaborative SSX Custom Soundtrack.

Click either of the above images to find GAFers on both PSN/SEN and XBOX LIVE!​

soultron

Banned
PS3 Controls (The inputs are identical on XBOX)

2UuRn.png

March 2012 Update:
The game has been patched!

EA SSX Website said:
Patch Notes

New Features

· PS3 RiderNet Radio (PS3 VOIP Support)

To use:

From the RiderNet menu (Back/Select from the main menu) a new 7th option “RiderNet Radio” is available.

Within the main screen for RiderNet Radio, you have the following options available:
· See a list of all your friends’ active groups
· Join a group
· Create a group
· Refresh groups
· Back -> Takes you to RiderNet menu

While in a group, you should see all members of the group in a list and hear them chatting on your headset. You will also have the following options available from within this area:
· Leave group
· Refresh Screen
· Back -> takes you to RiderNet menu

RiderNet Radio can support up to 10 users within a single room.

While participating in a RiderNet Radio group, you can chat with your friends while playing anywhere in the game. Whether you are in separate modes, the front end or riding down the mountain together in a Global Event, you and your friends will now be able to enjoy sharing your SSX experience together.

*Please note that RiderNet Radio is not available in Japan.

Updates and Bug Fixes
· Issue in which several badge notifications would continue to trigger repeatedly due to other pending notifications from friends or additional badge challenge requirements completed in quick succession.
· Fixed a crash when a user attempts to collect a global event earning from a DLC range (eg: Japan) which had been deleted/removed from their system.
· Users will now see tombstones after multiple consecutive runs, rather than only on the first lap of a Survival drop.
· Using the time dilation (the slowdown stylish move executed by tapping the rewind button), some users were able to exploit extra trick points by activating the slowed state repeatedly in order to increase the length of time their grabs were held while in the air or grinding.
· Fixed an issue in which users that had hidden a rival (friend) from within RiderNet Rivals screen, and then removed this same Rival (friend) off of 1st party friend lists could potentially cause the save files to become corrupt.
· Fixed a crash which was being encountered while loading into global events.
· Fixed a crash which was being encountered during loading screens.
· Attempting to redeem a code for the online pass, while an online pass is unavailable, would occasionally hang the title.
· Fixed an issue in which active global events that a user is participating in would not always update, and would sometimes result in the drop fee associated to the event being deducted when re-entering the event.
· Adjusted the boundary data within New Zealand’s Mount Wakefield tracks, as some users were able to find a way to get outside the main track area and achieve faster record times taking an unintended route.
· Fixed an issue in which some global event earnings were not properly being paid out to users that had participated and qualified for winnings when returning to the “While you were away screen” or while connecting online after previously playing in an offline state.
· Fixed an issue in which Geotags were not always paying out the correct amount for a full survival bonus.
· Final global event standing and payout will now appear in your GE wall.
· Fixed an issue with classic controls, where the in-air spin/flip/roll rotational speed was not quite as fast as when using the standard controls.

One of the toughest badges to get in SSX is the 50,000 Riders Global Events Badge. Last week we set up a Facebook event called Let’s Try to Get the 50,000 Riders Global Events Badge! trying to rally you all together and it became huge as over 100,000 gamers took part and both Xbox 360 and PS3 in the two-week long ‘Beyond the Fall’ Global Event. As a thanks for your participation we’ve released some great content that we promised to the SSX community, including the ability to level your riders up to 11. The content is available via the latest online Tuner Update, even if you didn’t make it out for the event.

It’s a big week for SSX with lots of great new content and we can’t wait to see you on the mountain.
50,000 Riders Global Events Badge Tuner Pack
Riders can now be leveled to 11.
Level 11 Gear - unlock better gear, a new mod slot and a new Geotag slot.
We’ve changed the lighting on key signature tracks in Global Events and in Explore Mode: Serenity has been changed to Pink Dusk. Bulldog and Morning Tiger trick events in New Zealand are now Dusk Orange.
We’ve also added longer Global Events and more big money events.
Players will get more experience points when playing in Global Events.

April 2012 Update:
Eddie and Travis are now unlocked as a free download!

EA SSX Website said:
Hey SSX fans,

As you know, those who pre-ordered SSX through various retailers have been able to hit the slopes with the beloved SSX character Edward “Eddie” Wachowski as a reward for reserving their copy of the game early. In addition, some people were also lucky enough to score an unlock code to ride with the star of The Art of FLIGHT film, Travis Rice, in the game. While they might have got the jump on these two characters, you didn’t think we were going to leave the rest of you out, did you?

Today we’re releasing a free DLC pack that includes both professional snowboarder, Travis Rice, and fan-favorite, Eddie. It also includes new character specific snowboards for Eddie, Mac, Elise, Kaori and Zoe as well as Travis Rice’s signature board. You also get a level 4 Geotag!

This DLC is free to all players and will be available through the Xbox Live Marketplace and the PlayStation Network.

DLC Details:
· Two characters that were pre-order & special offer – Eddie Wachowski & Travis Rice
· Character-specific ultimate snowboards – one each for Eddie, Mac, Elise, Kaori & Zoe; Travis Rice signature board
· A level 4 Geotag

Thanks for all your support on the re-launch of SSX, and stay tuned to our Facebook page for the latest news and updates on the game.

SSX Classic Character Pack and Mt. Eddie Pack DLC announced for May:
After a week of teasing the community by slowly releasing puzzle pieces of a screenshot jam packed full of classic SSX elements, we revealed on Friday that we would be bringing some of that classic, retro fun from previous SSX titles to the newest SSX release with our upcoming DLC.

Today we’re proud to announce that on 05.01.2012 we’ll be releasing the SSX Mt. Eddie & Classic Characters Bundle Pack. Mt. Eddie is a TRICKY inspired, ultra-long mountain that features 9 new Race and Trick drops, and is filled with huge kickers, ridiculous grinds, a halfpipe, fireworks, and a whole lot more – the classic SSX experience! This DLC bundle pack also comes with 7 retro SSX characters from SSX 3 and Tricky, each with a unique snowboard. And as if that weren’t enough, this pack also includes 3 classic music tracks.

You can even get these elements separately in the SSX Mt. Eddie Pack or the SSX Classic Characters Pack. Leading up to the May 1st launch we’ll be showing off what exactly we’re releasing with character images, gameplay videos and a live Q&A with the development team talking about the new DLC.

Stay tuned to our Facebook page www.facebook.com/easportsssx for the latest news, and read on to see details on the pack breakdowns.

See you on the slopes!

Team SSX

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pricing

• SSX Mt. Eddie & Classic Characters Bundle Pack - $7.99

• SSX Classic Characters Pack - $5.99

• SSX Mt. Eddie Pack - $5.99

Mt. Eddie Pack

• Mt. Eddie – an over the top, TRICKY inspired, ultra-long track (9 drops)

• Retro music tracks including two from previous SSX games

Classic Characters Pack

• SSX classic cast featuring 7 characters

• Each character comes with an assortment of outfit colourways

• 7 unique snowboards – one for each of the characters in the pack

Mt. Eddie & Classic Characters Pack

• Everything in the Mt. Eddie Pack

• Everything in the SSX Classic Characters Pack

May 2012 Update:

Reddit "Ask Me Anything" Interview with SSX Creative Director Todd Batty.

"Tuner Pack" Changelog:
Siberia lighting changes:

Boris, Vapor Trail changed from overcast cloudy to dusk orange
Boris, Big Show changed from overcast cloudy to dusk orange
Boris, Diamondback changed from overcast cloudy to dusk orange

Africa lighting changes:

Meru, Corkscrew changed from night cloudy to dusk orange

Patagonia lighting changes:

Cerro Torre, Last Call changed from overcast cloudy to night clear
Cerro Torre, Vengeance changed from overcast cloudy to night clear
Cerro Torre, Code Blue changed from overcast cloudy to night clear

Himalayas lighting changes:

Everest, Burnout changed from stormy to dusk purple
Chomo Lonzo, Fall from Grace changed from stormy to dusk purple

Himalayas environmental changes:

Everest, Burnout, Race it removed O2 requirement
Everest, Burnout, Trick it removed O2 requirement
Chomo Lonzo, Fall from Grace, Race it removed O2 requirement
Chomo Lonzo, Fall from Grace, Trick it removed O2 requirement

This is now live.

May 4-6th is also a Double XP weekend! Go shred!

Keep your eyes on this post because it will always be updated with patches, DLC, and post-launch news!

Gowans

Never properly played a SSX game before (always played Classic Tony Hawk).

After playing the demo I'm 100% on Board.... for Day 1.

Edit: GT: Gowans007 (we need a friends of friends tag)

Pollux

I have't played this series since the SSX (2000).
But I loved that game. Now might be the time to come back, looking at this game online right now, and it looks pretty cool. But I'm broke at the moment :(

red731

It is here, the magnificent OT!

And I am back from work...and still no update on US store.. fcuk *sad panda

Already posted a (Barely) better-than-gold time on Whitehorn Mtn's race event. I can't wait to see other people populate the leaderboards; I'm anxious to see what that looks like.

I'm digging the trick system too. Really reminds me of Skate.

Fixed1979

Please be awesome! Please be awesome! Please be awesome! Please be awesome!

Also great OT. And I'm buying day one regardless of awesome levels.

SLV

Guys ! edit your details in to the google doc in the bottom of the OT ;)
On another note, shopto confirmed that they are going to ship it 4 days before release, EXCITE !

Very nice OT.

Just as a bit of a advice for those using the GAF google docs, if you'd like sort by region/timezone/name the easiest way to do so is go into list view (View -> List) and then click on the column you want to sort at the top.

Madrical

Banned
Awesome OT. I haven't paid much attention to this but if it gets good reviews I'll pick it up for cheap as I loved the original... I think it was the second game I got for my PS2.

EDIT:

Shame there's no PC version. People who love taking landscape/artistic screenshots would have a ball. Plus, y'know, superior game etc etc.

jtrov

So excited for this! First SSX game that has me this hype in a very, very, long time. Can't wait to get home after work so I can try out the demo.

Just really excited to try out the multiplayer and RiderNet. From the videos it reminded me of Skate 2's "Own the Spot", where it had you battling friends for the highest score, which I found to be very addicting. However, this seems to be a lot more expansive, since you can easily track anything and everything. So I'm pretty damn excited to see how it plays out.

Here is my XBL tag for anyone who wants to add me for some good times online: jtrov

EDIT: Just saw the doc link in the OP. Just added my info. Can't wait.

krpiper

So excited for this! First SSX game that has me this hype in a very, very, long time. Can't wait to get home after work so I can try out the demo.

Just really excited to try out the multiplayer and RiderNet. From the videos it reminded me of Skate 2's "Own the Spot", where it had you battling friends for the highest score, which I found to be very addicting. However, this seems to be a lot more expansive, since you can easily track anything and everything. So I'm pretty damn excited to see how it plays out.

Here is my XBL tag for anyone who wants to add me for some good times online: jtrov

add yourself to the list :)

Top Bottom