• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii VC SNES Sales Rankings (thru Feb?) - NO NUMBERS :(

donny2112

The June 2007 Nintendo Power includes the rankings (no numbers) for the Wii, Nintendo DS, and SNES Virtual Console titles. The Wii and DS rankings are from February, so I'm guessing that the VC SNES rankings are through February, too.

Virtual Console - SNES

We've been wanting to include top Virtual Console games for a while, but there are just so many ways to slice this pie. We've decided to show a different sales chart each month. We kick off with the top Virtual Console games released originally on the Super NES.

1. Super Mario World
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
3. Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
4. Super Castlevania IV
5. Donkey Kong Country

They've never given numbers for these rankings. However, the Wii and DS rankings show a top 10, so maybe they'll expand this to a top 10 in future issues. :)

For comparison, the top SNES games from our Official VC Sales thread are below.

GAF Top 5 VC SNES games (through Feb 5, 2007):

1. Super Castlevania IV
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
3. F-Zero
4. Sim City
5. Contra III

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
A different sales chart every month?! How much space can it possibly take up, just give us all of them and preferably an overall top 10 as well.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Mama Smurf said:
A different sales chart every month?! How much space can it possibly take up, just give us all of them and preferably an overall top 10 as well.

They have to fit it all on one page. Also these sales are only for SNES for only February.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Are the pages an inch squared now or something?

In an old Nintendo magazine here in the UK we used to get top 10s for rented, bought, different systems...that all fit on a page in a big font with other stuff on there too.

donny2112

It's in the same position that they used to run the Top 10 GBA, so, hopefully, that at least means they'll increase it to a Top 10, eventually. I'd like more VC sales (with numbers), too. :)

donny2112

I quoted everything it says, but you're right in that the Wii/DS rankings are for February. Therefore, these rankings might just be for February. However, I get the impression from the paragraph I quoted that it's total sales. Also, the Wii/DS paragraphs both mention "this month" in reference to the rankings, and the VC rankings mentions nothing about "this month." I could very well be wrong, though.

Wii_paragraph said:
It's not the strongets (sic) title in the pack, but Wii Play's controller bundle and family-friendly games bumped Wario Ware down to third place this month.

1. Wii Play
2. Zelda
3. Wario
4. Sonic
5. Rayman
6. Madden
7. Red Steel
8. CoD 3
9. Monkey Ball
10. EXCITE TRUCK

DS_paragraph said:
We were ho-hum about Diddy Kong's arrival on the DS, but this month's sales information has made a monkey out of us.

1. Diddy
2. NSMB
3. Mario Kart
4. Brain Age
5. Kirby: Squeak Squad
6. Nintendogs: Dalmatian
7. Yoshi's Island
8. AC: WW
9. Big Brain
10. Nintendogs: Dachshund

Note: I shortened the titles for the Wii and DS games. They're spelled out in the magazine.

CrisKre

I think super G&Ghosts should be higher. Adictive as hell and difficult capcom plataformer goodnes. Get to buying bitches!

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
CrisKre said:
I think super G&Ghosts should be higher. Adictive as hell and difficult capcom plataformer goodnes. Get to buying bitches!

Sorry to say that, but worst Ghouls & Ghosts ever.

THe game has nothing to do versus Super Castlevania IV (AKA as best action adventure game ever)

GAF SNES games as of end of April

snes10-0430.jpg

Aparently Non-Gaffers aren't smart enough to wait for one of the many improvements on SFII that will inevitably be released.

Neomoto

Hmm pretty interesting. And they are all high quality games too. It would be interesting to hear detailed information about all systems, I hope we'll get it soon.

Oh, and in case people missed it 1.5 week ago from the Nintendo press conference:

3.3 million Virtual Console titles were downloaded

I think that is a pretty high/succesfull number allready considering it's userbase and only 5 months or so on the market. I know I have a pretty good amount of VC titles I have to buy.

Neomoto said:
Hmm pretty interesting. And they are all high quality games too. It would be interesting to hear detailed information about all systems, I hope we'll get it soon.

Oh, and in case people missed it 1.5 week ago from the Nintendo press conference:

3.3 million Virtual Console titles were downloaded

I think that is a pretty high/succesfull number allready considering it's userbase and only 5 months or so on the market. I know I have a pretty good amount of VC titles I have to buy.

But it's actually slowing down as more systems are being sold. I wish they'd actually put some effort into these games instead of dumping the ROMs. I definitely quit buying VC games after the novelty wore off.

Neomoto

dammitmattt said:
But it's actually slowing down as more systems are being sold. I wish they'd actually put some effort into these games instead of dumping the ROMs. I definitely quit buying VC games after the novelty wore off.
Slowing down? To my understanding Nintendo only released information about the service twice, the second one I just posted and here is the other one from Nintendo's financial results Q3.

Approximately 1.5 million Virtual Console games have been downloaded and sold to customers worldwide (as of 1/24/07)
The number of Wii console out there where 3.19 million by the end of 2006 (same source). So factor in 24 days with that (I have no idea how much but lets say something like 3.5 million to make it a nice round number). At there financial results ending march 2007 (fiscal year) they stated that 5.84 million Wii consoles were sold. And 3.3 million Virtual Console sales. So, VC sales have more than DOUBLED while it's userbase has not in that timeframe. How exactly is that "slowing down"?

donny2112

July's issue has NES data, presumably through March. I undelined the "to Date" part. ;)

Virtual Console - NES Downloads to Date

It's time to party like it's 1989. The very building blocks of the Big N - Mario, Zelda, and DK - continue to attract old-school gamers, and players who weren't born when the games debuted are experiencing the love for the first time.

Code:
1. Super Mario Bros.
2. The Legend of Zelda
3. Mario Bros.
4. Kirby's Adventure
5. Donkey Kong

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
thefro said:
Wow... how is the original Mario Brothers so high? Confused people?

Yeah. Prolly get pretty pissed off afterwards, as well. I know I would be.

They are going to have to pull a Pan Labyrinth(store had to put up signs saying "THIS MOVIE IS NOT IN ENGLISH, WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING RETURNS BECAUSE YOU COULDN"T READ) and put a tag on MB saying "THIS IS NOT MARIO. DO NOT COMPLAIN"

Yeah, I honestly don't know anybody who would intentionally download Mario Brothers unless they're a completist. notmyproblem.jpg (or whatever the file is called)

donny2112

August's issue has Genesis data, presumably through April as that's what the NPD rankings are.

Virtual Console - SEGA Genesis Downloads to Date

Who thought the day would ever come that Nintendo Power would be talking up Sega Genesis games? Times have changed, friends, and we just have to give a blue hedgehog his due.

Code:
1. Sonic the Hedgehog
2. Gunstar Heroes
3. Golden Axe
4. ToeJam & Earl
5. Altered Beast

Edit:
Can a mod change the title of this thread to "Wii Virtual Console Sales Rankings - NO NUMBERS :(", please?

bengraven

Mario Brothers is fun for about ten minutes. Not worth the money, though.

I'm waiting for SMB2 and 3.

(wouldn't that be a bitch if they released a SMB game every Christmas? So we can get SMB3 X-mas 2008?)

bengraven said:
Mario Brothers is fun for about ten minutes. Not worth the money, though.

I'm waiting for SMB2 and 3.

(wouldn't that be a bitch if they released a SMB game every Christmas? So we can get SMB3 X-mas 2008?)
SMB US is already out in EU and Lost Levels is already out in Japan. NA VC has seen some strange decisions recently but I don't expect it'll take that long.

donny2112

September's issue has TurboGrafx16 data, presumably through May as that's what the NPD rankings are.

Virtual Console - TurboGrafx16 Downloads to Date

As far as Bomberman games go, '93 is one of the best iterations. Still, it's surprising that Bonk, the Turbografx16's frontman, hasn't been the top dog on Virtual Console so far.

Code:
1. Bomberman '93
2. Bonk's Adventure
3. Dungeon Explorer
4. SPLATTERHOUSE
5. R-TYPE

Next month should be N64 (aren't there only five games available for the N64? o_O) and then, hopefully, it will repeat the systems with updated rankings or maybe do a combined top 10.

Can a mod change the title of this thread to "Wii Virtual Console Sales Rankings - NO NUMBERS :(", please?

donny2112

N64 data presumably through June.

Virtual Console - N64 Downloads to Date

The library of N64 titles on Virtual Console isn't as robust as those for the other platforms, but the games represented on the list are nothing short of phenomenal. Looks like people are brushing up on their Mario skills as Galaxy approaches.

Code:
1. Super Mario 64
2. Mario Kart 64
3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Star Fox 64
5. Paper Mario

I think they've been through all of the systems now, so maybe next month we'll see updated listings for one of the previous systems. :)

mutsu

What's with the bumps? Create a new thread!

The title is already completely irrelevant... (thru Feb!?!?)

donny2112

donny2112 said:
;)

This thread works well by keeping it all in one place. Without numbers, it's not worth a new thread, IMO.

Top Bottom