• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ff8.jpg

br.png

spc.png

TITLE | FINAL FANTASY XIII

PRODUCER | Yoshinori Kitase
DIRECTOR | Motomu Toriyama
CHARACTER DESIGN | Tetsuya Nomura
SUB-CHARACTER DESIGN | Nao Ikeda
MUSIC | Masashi Hamauzu
ART DIRECTOR | Isamu Kamikokuryo
SUMMON DESIGN | Chikako Nakano
MAIN PROGRAMMER | Kazumi Kobayashi
MOVIE DIRECTOR | Eiji Fujii
BATTLE DESIGN | Toshiro Tsuchida
WEAPON DESIGN | Tetsu Tsukamoto

RELEASE DATE | March 9, 2010
GENRE | Role Playing

For PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Official North American Site
Official European Site

PlayStation 3
Linear PCM 5.1Ch/Dolby Digital 5.1ch/DTS Digital Surround 5.1ch
No HDD Install
1 Dual Layer Blu-Ray Disc
Video Resolution Support 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

Xbox 360
Dolby Digital 5.1ch
18GB HDD Install Size (Optional)
3 Dual-Layer DVDs
Video Resolution Support 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

bt.png
TROPHIES
21 Bronze | 9 Silver | 5 Gold | 1 Platinum
Some trophies allow access to special custom XMB themes.

bt2.png
ACHIEVEMENTS
21 15G | 9 30G | 4 80G | 1 95G
Some achievements unlock gamer portraits.​

BONUS
PlayStation 3 version Square-Enix Members code unlocks Final Fantasy XIV promotions: in-game item + chance to enter the PS3 beta.
Xbox 360 version Square-Enix Members code unlocks PSICOM avatar items for the NXE avatars.​

br.png

bx.png

boxarts2.png

br.png

chr.png

allch.png

LIGHTNING | This solitary young woman speaks little of herself - even her true name is a mystery. She is known to others simply as "Lightning."

SNOW VILLIERS | An irrepressible, fiery young man, Snow dives headfirst into danger using nothing but his powerful physique as a weapon. Easily swayed by emotion, he is prone to rash words and actions. Nonetheless, many are won over by his outgoing and optimistic nature.

OERBA DIA VANILLE | Vanille is an endearing young woman with a relentlessly sunny disposition. Her bright personality gives no hint of the dark resolve that lies within.

SAZH KATZROY | Sazh is a friendly, cheerful man who is never without his curious companions—a chocobo chick and a pair of pistols. He is quick to banter, but also keeps a mature perspective on matters. Uncontrollable events have set him on his current path, but another purpose compels him to walk it.

HOPE ESTHEIM | Hope has enjoyed a markedly uneventful youth on humankind's haven of Cocoon. His life is turned upside down at the hands of the Sanctum's Purge.

OERBA YUN FANG | Fang is a mysterious woman who is working with the Sanctum military despite bearing the mark of the detested l'Cie. She has a strong-minded personality and is unconcerned with trivialities.​

br.png

btl.png

HUD.png

The Active Time Battle system returns for Final Fantasy XIII contributing to the most streamlined entry in the series. ATB works similar to previous entries, in that the player must wait for the gauge to fill up before their character can perform an ability.

The game opens up with very limited choices. You begin with only two ATB slots (that later can be expanded after story events in the game), as well as commands such as Auto-battle, Abilities, and Items. By selecting Auto-battle, you automatically stock a set of moves based on the battle situation. For example, if there are multiple enemies on screen, Lightning will default to an area attack. If you select Abilities, you can chose which specific attack you would like to use opposed to AI decision. Items are fairly self explanatory. Any time during battle, you can cancel an ATB command and stock something else, while keeping your gauge full.

Once the battle system expands, you're given a few other command options. Techniques come into play after a certain event in the story (fairly early on) which allows abilities such as Libra and eventually Summon, All Cure, etc. These are called TP Abilities and require a TP cost based on each action indicated in menu. TP is earned every time you complete a battle.

pd.png

The Paradigm Shift system allows players to essentially change set job classes in real time. In the menu, you're able to adjust different set ups for your party, resulting in variations of the different roles in the game that allow you to adapt to various battle situations. Each character begins with three set roles, and later on have the ability to obtain all six. Roles are leveled within the Crystarium system by earning CP points from battles. Each one is different and has a specific purpose:
roles.png

The summon system is different from previous games. Each character only has one summon, which must be fought in order to obtain it. Once a character gains the ability to call them forth, TP can be used and the summon replaces the other party members in battle. A bar under the summon's name will countdown as Summon Points, or SP, depletes.

At any time during a summoning, the player can initiate what is known as Gestalt Mode; a mode that transforms the creature into a vehicle form. This allows for more powerful attacks and usage of the summon's ultimate move.

Later on in the game, players can participate in mission based battles, aside from normal and boss battles. Missions take place on Gran Pulse, and are completely optional for the most part... There are a few that are progress oriented. Each mission can be replayed as many times as one wants and will net you items used to upgrade your character's weapons. Some of the more challenging missions are even harder than the story mode's final boss.​

br.png

br.png

br.png

rl.png

• Keep all console comparison discussion IN THE DISCUSSION THREAD.
  • No baiting, no console trolling, and no hindering the actual discussion of the game, or you will be banned.
  • MARK ALL SPOILERS WITH BRACKETS. Failure to do so will earn you a GAF holiday.
  • If you post in this thread, duckroll will ban you. He might not ban you today, he might not ban you tomorrow, but some day eventually if you keep posting you will be banned.

bt5.png
SPECIAL THANKS
Falsate
expy​

Rpgmonkey

Finally. :)

If you post in this thread, duckroll will ban you. He might not ban you today, he might not ban you tomorrow, but some day eventually if you keep posting you will be banned.

...Crap.

Cep

Banned
As always, nice job Kagari.

Also, I feel that there is an obvious joke to be made about that picture(the first).

Suffice it to say, I am not that stupid.
Anymore

If you post in this thread, duckroll will ban you. He might not ban you today, he might not ban you tomorrow, but some day eventually if you keep posting you will be banned.

:lol
:(

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
That is a sexy-ass OP.

I've never been as conflicted over a game as I am FFXIII... I'm looking forward to hearing many other opinions.

Snaku

Banned
# If you post in this thread, duckroll will ban you. He might not ban you today, he might not ban you tomorrow, but some day eventually if you keep posting you will be banned.

Oh hey guys, here's that official thread you've all been asking about. But don't post in it! kthnxbye

Now this is what I am talking about.

Keep all console comparison discussion IN THE DISCUSSION THREAD.
No baiting, no console trolling, and no hindering the actual discussion of the game, or you will be banned.
MARK ALL SPOILERS WITH BRACKETS. Failure to do so will earn you a GAF holiday.
So discussion of clothing and hair IS allowed. Phew! +1 for no hair spiking upwards at illogical, gravity-defying angles.

LowParry

Tali-ho! Very nice thread. Looking forward to...almost playing the game next week. Wife has first dibs on it.

dramatis

Getting in line, nice OP!

Let the actual discussion finally begin. I'm curious to the reaction beyond the importing few.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
HarlockJC said:
Wow Edge gave it a 5...that is crazy
Not entirely unexpected, given some of the other reviews/criticisms people have given so far on the Japanese release.

I'm not sure if I should wait until the weekend to get this or what....I was planning on ditching class for it on Wednesday but I already skipped Wednesday this week

mr_chun

Fantastic thread!

I cannot wait to pick this up and dig in.

EDIT: Trophies can unlock custom XMB themes? Suh-weet!!

h3ro

TheChillyAcademic said:
SEPHIROTHA AND ZACQUELINE

NEVER FORGET!!!!

I never will. <3

Who else in NA got the wonderful custom made Amazon Limited Edition of the game and LE Piggyback Guide?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Guess I'll be getting this game then.

Ponn

Banned
Good job. But I give the OP an 8.5 for being too linear.

jk

Go Go FFXIII Monday night cannot come quick enough.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
BTW, I don't know if you want to count Game Rankings averages.

via Wikipedia:

81.63% (PS3)
79.17% (360)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
time is moving too quickly.

it feels like only yesterday when I was thinking to myself that FFXIII was years away after watching the same CG trailer a handful of times at different events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom