• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
I like beer. I live on student loans. I drink cheap beer.
go beast!

I do most nights as well. I appreciate the good stuff but sometimes I have to settle for budget beers. I never sink as low as the beast or nasty ice but I probably drink Miller Light more than anything else. It's not good or bad, it's just beer.

I've gotten back into the Weiße lately, and enjoying myself thoroughly. My current pick is the classic Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weisse.

hackerpschorr.jpg

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
I like beer. I live on student loans. I drink cheap beer.
go beast!

Haha I didn't skimp out in college. Drinking on the cheap was a case of Miller Lite. I'd regularly get a 12 pack of at least Goose Island because I really didn't want to compromise on taste that much.

weekend_warrior said:
Snuggler, aren't you an admitted alcoholic?

If he were, he wouldn't be drinking beer.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
weekend_warrior said:
Snuggler, aren't you an admitted alcoholic?

Heh, no, I've admitted to be a little excessive with my drinking at times but that doesn't change the fact that I love beer.
I'm just that enthusiastic.

Stella Artois FTW.

Excellent choice, I love the stuff as well as the similar stuff like Stella, Heneiken, Beck's, Grolch, and Pilsner Urquell

DJ_Lae

At the moment my absolute favourite is Phillip's Amnesiac, a double IPA (8.5%) with a fantastic, almost grapefruit back end to it. My only complaint? It only comes in singles, no six packs at all. The upside to that is that I have to drink twice as much at once as I would otherwise.

Also a big amber ale fan, with my two favourites being Lighthouse's Race Rocks, a local brew named after an old lighthouse in the area. And from the interior (Penticton, of all places) The Cannery has an excellent amber called Anarchist Ale, complete with red pull tab.

And if I'm just in the mood for something refreshing, I'll reach for a Big Rock Grasshopper.

3065457139_3d82a06bb9.jpg

01racerocks_2.jpg

I brewed several batches of my own a couple of years ago but took a break due to illness and then the birth of my child. I plan on getting back into it with the same thing I started with - a good stout. There's a pretty decent kit (liquid wort, not the powdered stuff) that works quite well with whatever add-in you can think of. I may go with an oatmeal stout or simply throw in a bit of dark chocolate, coffee, and cloves.

01carboybeer_2.jpg

Ahhh beer. One of my passions in life.

Aside from being a beer lover of ALL types (from Chimay to Budweiser) I also brew my own. I know there are other homebrewers here, so by all means post yours as well.

This is my latest brew. It's a brown ale brewed with a pound or so of clover honey. I also used black patent and crystal malt as specialty grains to enhance the body and color. Ended up being right around 6% abv.

62980_432777717334_662422334_5281219_7112479_n.jpg

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
My favorites:

Brooklyn Pennant Ale

pennant.JPG

Fireman's 4

firemans-4-blonde-ale-21353082.jpg

Shiner Bock

beer-shiner.jpg

Turbodog

Abita.jpg

Delirium Tremmens

Delirium_Tremens.jpg

Kwak

Kwak.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The only type of good beer that I still haven't got a taste for is Stout. I've mostly just tried Guinness and a few local brews but I've found all of them to be too heavy and bitter in all the wrong ways. Are there any brands (available in the US) that might change my mind?

Chris R

Doubt I'll ever find one that doesn't make me want to stop drinking right away and go gargle some mouth wash :(

And since I also hate wine I'm the life of the party at work parties :(

Snuggler said:
The only type of good beer that I still haven't got a taste for is Stout. I've mostly just tried Guinness and a few local brews but I've found all of them to be too heavy and bitter in all the wrong ways. Are there any brands (available in the US) that might change my mind?

If Guinness is too big for you, then it might be hard to find one to your liking. A very good gateway stout is Young's Double Chocolate Stout, for obvious reasons. :D

Cuu

Ok, you've convinced me I should have a beer again tonight.

Tonight:
xPqFn.jpg

Sierra Nevada's Tumbler Brown Ale 2010
A hoppy brown ale with a good amount of carbonation. Light, yet pleasant, toasted malt taste. Kept that thick lacing the whole time.

Make sure you guys invest in proper glassware for your beers. Some people may snub you because you wont drink your beer from the bottle, but it definitely does improve the taste of microbrews.

Also, some of you Sam Adams peeps need to get out and try some other brands!

If you like octoberfest, try:
oGfbH.jpg

HiResDes

Shiner Bock is excellent if not only for it's smoothness and drinkability. But I usually stick with this at the bar because they always have it on draft here:

smithwicks-dripmats_final-1.jpg

...Puts Guinness to shame. :D

Edit: You guys ever go here, it's a great resource to look up information on various beers.

I'm trying some Japanese beers at the moment. I'm not sure if the ones that I am trying are good examples but they are available here so thats a start.

Asahi was quite nice. Kirin was ok but I liked the cleaner flavour of Asahi.

We try a new beer each week when we are doing our podcast. There is a New Zealand brewer that makes a brand called Epic. The Armageddon IPA is quite a meal.
armageddon-ipa-blog-737676.JPG

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've gotten into beer big time since I returned to the States in February and gained access to so many good microbrews and imports for reasonable prices.

Right now I'm in a big Porter / Stout phase. Before that I was all about finding clean tasting Lagers.

Here are a few of my favorites from the Porter / Stout category.

Firestone Walker's Reserver Robust Porter
(I really like the flavor of this one)

2819397579_7544b0c75d.jpg

Zywiec Porter

Porter_zywiec.jpg

Samuel Adam's Imperial Stout

sam-adams-imperial-stout-10jun09.jpg

If anyone has any porter / stout recommendations, I would be interested in hearing them! I live in Seattle, so any local microbrews would be great too.

Speaking of microbrews, one of my favorite local beers is Mac and Jack's African Amber

2092020375_d5a887fc88.jpg

It's definitely one of the best Amber brews I've had.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sierra Nevada's Tumbler Brown Ale 2010

I haven't had that flavor yet, but I'll have to check it out since I love the regular Sierra Nevada.

Just for fun I'll list my top 5:

Newcastle
Pandemonium Pale Ale (a local brand, so hoppiliciously good)
Sierra Nevada
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Heineken

Fireye

thesoapster said:
Just finished a Blue Moon. Also have some Flying Dog Doggie Style (Classic Pale Ale), which is quite excellent IMO.

Flying Dog is an awesome brewery. I really need to do a tour of their brewery, since they're local and all. Raging Bitch is brilliant, I had some at a tasting a year or so ago, before it was released, and the final thing almost lived up to that tasting.
raginbitch1.jpg

Dogfish Head continues to amaze me with the odd beers they come up with. I had a 1.5year old DFH Squall IPA recently, and it blew my mind, an absolutely delicious beer that I wish I had more of.

I have three Bitches Brew 750's at home, hoping to try out out in the next week or two.

Alright so maybe BeerGAF can halp me out. I've been searching for a beer that I had a few years ago and LOVED, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.
All I know is that its a Belgium style beer, I dunno if its a lager or ale or whatever. It had a bit of a sweet taste to it, and IIRC, had a red/gold/brown label.

Pinko Marx said:
Alright so maybe BeerGAF can halp me out. I've been searching for a beer that I had a few years ago and LOVED, but I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.
All I know is that its a Belgium style beer, I dunno if its a lager or ale or whatever. It had a bit of a sweet taste to it, and IIRC, had a red/gold/brown label.

I suppose I'll start.

ChimayRed.jpg
?

TheLastCandle said:
I suppose I'll start.

http://willblogforbeer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/ChimayRed.jpg[IMG]?[/QUOTE]
That would've been my guess as well. Excellent beer. I prefer Blue, myself.

Brianemone said:
I'm trying some Japanese beers at the moment. I'm not sure if the ones that I am trying are good examples but they are available here so thats a start.

Asahi was quite nice. Kirin was ok but I liked the cleaner flavour of Asahi.

japan is a beer wasteland

asahi and kirin make about 20 beers each under those names, which were they? asahi super dry (silver bottle/can) is usually easy to find outside japan, and does what it says on the tin - it is very dry, or i guess "clean" is a way to say it. kirin ichiban shibori is the only japanese beer i've ever seen on draught outside japan, and it's okay but nothing to shout about.

i like yebisu and suntory premium malts but they're expensive, like 324 yen a can.

greatest beer in the history of the world is ST BERNARDUS from belgium. preferably the 12%ABV version and served in a goblet

Fireye said:
Flying Dog is an awesome brewery. I really need to do a tour of their brewery, since they're local and all.

Dogfish Head continues to amaze me with the odd beers they come up with. I had a 1.5year old DFH Squall IPA recently, and it blew my mind, an absolutely delicious beer that I wish I had more of.

I have three Bitches Brew 750's at home, hoping to try out out in the next week or two.

I tried a Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA. Holy fuck I almost died. So bitter/sweet/intense all at once. But yeah, I need to try some of their "regular" stuff.

So Flying Dog is local to you...where do you live? :p

Frederick here

Fireye

thesoapster said:
I tried a Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA. Holy fuck I almost died. So bitter/sweet/intense all at once. But yeah, I need to try some of their "regular" stuff.

So Flying Dog is local to you...where do you live? :p

Frederick here

Local as in, the same state! I'm in Rockville myself, so it's not too much of a hike out to the brewery.
I was amazed to find DFH 60minute and 90minute in a Publix (I think that's what it was) in Atlanta!

deadbeef

ITT people post hundreds of giant pictures of beers. Sigh. :-/

I recently found a place where I can buy Stone Brewery beers so I'm a happy man. Every month or so I make a beer run and get several Ruinations and Arrogant Bastards.

My favorite beer though has to be Löwenbrau.

Revolutionary said:
That would've been my guess as well. Excellent beer. I prefer Blue, myself.

Agreed in full. Chimay Blue is probably still my all time favorite beer, even after pouring countless pints down my gaping maw.

Acid08 said:
I like to drink beer. I like it a lot. My friends and I have no money. We buy cheap beer. It isn't good.

I have friends that don't even like to get the good kind of beer, even when we have the money. They stick to bud, icehouse, or bud light.
Fucking horrible.

Cuu

Top 5, huh?

1.) Weihenstephaner (Hefeweissbier)
2.) Bell's Hopslam (Double IPA)
3.) Two Brothers: Hop Juice (Double IPA)
4.) Schneider Aventinus (Weizenbock)
5.) Bell's Two Hearted (IPA)

For those of you who like stouts, check out Old Rasputin Imperial Stout, Bell's Expedition Stout, and Founder's Breakfast Stout. I don't really like Stouts that much, but I like these a fair bit.

As you can tell from my list, I'm more of a wheat/IPA kind of guy. I also do enjoy brown and amber ales.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
345triangle said:
japan is a beer wasteland

asahi and kirin make about 20 beers each under those names, which were they? asahi super dry (silver bottle/can) is usually easy to find outside japan, and does what it says on the tin - it is very dry, or i guess "clean" is a way to say it. kirin ichiban shibori is the only japanese beer i've ever seen on draught outside japan, and it's okay but nothing to shout about.

i like yebisu and suntory premium malts but they're expensive, like 324 yen a can.

greatest beer in the history of the world is ST BERNARDUS from belgium. preferably the 12%ABV version and served in a goblet

Yeah... I didn't drink much outside of going to Izakaya when I was in Japan. The variety is extremely limited (almost everything is Lager-style and tastes very similar), and beer is terribly expensive. In USD it's like $3.00 - $4.00 (with the recent exchange rate) for a 350ml can. And those are domestic prices! Expect to pay at least $5 per bottle of anything imported.

Cuu

Fireye said:
Flying Dog is an awesome brewery. I really need to do a tour of their brewery, since they're local and all. Raging Bitch is brilliant, I had some at a tasting a year or so ago, before it was released, and the final thing almost lived up to that tasting.

Dogfish I definitely agree with. Their 120>90>60 IPA's are fantastic. The Brown Ale is also really good.

Flying Dog on the other hand... I don't know. The Gonzo Imperial Porter is great. I haven't had the double dog (will buy soon). The in-heat wheat, doggie style, and snake dog IPA were just decent. I usually tend to avoid them unless I've read it before hand. Whereas dogfish I'll generally buy new stuff.

ATF487

StoOgE said:
My favorites:

Brooklyn Pennant Ale

pennant.JPG

I bought a Brooklyn variety pack and this was my favorite. If it's good enough for the legendary 55 Brooklyn Dodgers then it's good enough for me

andymcc

Banned
Cuu said:
Dogfish I definitely agree with. Their 120>90>60 IPA's are fantastic. The Brown Ale is also really good.

Flying Dog on the other hand... I don't know. The Gonzo Imperial Porter is great. I haven't had the double dog (will buy soon). The in-heat wheat, doggie style, and snake dog IPA were just decent. I usually tend to avoid them unless I've read it before hand. Whereas dogfish I'll generally buy new stuff.

Dogfish Head is amazing, 120 IPA is typically my go-to beer.

How is their pumpkin ale?

KHarvey16

Zefah said:
If anyone has any porter / stout recommendations, I would be interested in hearing them! I live in Seattle, so any local microbrews would be great too.

Cuu mentions some good ones above: Founder's Breakfast and Old Rasputin are great. Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout and Oatmeal Stout are both excellent too, and if you can find it, Ipswich Oatmeal Stout is very tasty.

Cuu

andymcc said:
Dogfish Head is amazing, 120 IPA is typically my go-to beer.

How is their pumpkin ale?

On my list... I've heard good things for a pumpkin beer. Haven't heard of any other pumpkin beers worth getting around here.

edit: looks like Schlafly's Pumpkin and Southern Tiers Pumpking are good.

This topic got me excited about beer again. My tasty beer collection has dwindled because of being a poor jobless college graduate. Now that I have a job, I can waste
not really
my money on beer again!!

Top Bottom