• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf 2012 Backlog Blitz - Where we give the middle finger to Steam sales

Brashnir

Since the new year has begun, I've seen a large number of threads here on GAF discussing backlogs, which serves to drive home the point that Backlog Season is upon us. In the past we've had friendly backlog competition threads that have served to keep people motivated and working through their backlogs, and I think it's time for the 2012 edition.

The Rules:
* If you finish a game in your backlog, it counts as +1.
* If you buy or otherwise acquire a new game, that counts as -1.
* The goal is to have as high a number as possible.

What counts as backlog? For the purposes of this thread, any game you own counts as backlog, whether it's been sitting in the backlog since the Clinton administration or you brought it home from the store and started playing immediately. If you own it, and you finish it, it counts for +1. No rentals, no games borrowed from a friend.

What counts as beaten? For most games, finishing the main story/reaching the credits counts as the bare minimum. For some games, like an arcade/score attack type game, simply investing enough time until you feel you're "done" with it counts. If you're a completionist and need to eke every single ounce out of a game, you don't get any extra credit officially, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it if that's how you get the most enjoyment out of a game.

When you finish a game, it's not required, but posting impressions and how long it took you to beat the game would be appreciated. I will be posting mini reviews for each as I go, including the games I've finished up til now in 2012, but I'll save that for a later post.

Resources (please respond if you have any sites you'd like added to the list)
Backloggery - A social site for maintaining backlogs and comparing with others. My backloggery page is http://backloggery.com/Brashnir
How Long to Beat - A site focused on how long it takes to finish games.

With that all said, where do I stand? I have bought 4 games in 2012 for -4 points.

Batman:Arkham City
Gears of War 3
Rayman:Origins
Zen Pinball 3D

I have finished 7 games in 2012 for +7 points (net +3). Mini-reviews to come later.

Batman:Arkham City - ~12 hours
Gears of War 3 - ~7-8 hours
Rayman:Origins - ~10 hours
Batman:Arkham Asylum - ~10-15 hours (long layoff between starting and finishing)
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands - ~8 hours
Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon - ~5-6 hours
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - ~5-6 hours

I'm currently +2, last year I went -168.

So far I've completed:
  • Air Duel
  • Blade Master
  • Advance Wars: Dark Conflict
  • Dead Space 2
  • Nitronic Rush
  • Bastion
  • Another World: 15th Anniversary Edition
  • Limbo
  • Renegade Ops
  • Alpha Centauri
  • Killzone 3
  • Gunforce

Brashnir

I'm currently +2, last year I went -168.

So far I've completed:
  • Air Duel
  • Blade Master
  • Advance Wars: Dark Conflict
  • Dead Space 2
  • Nitronic Rush
  • Bastion
  • Another World: 15th Anniversary Edition
  • Limbo
  • Renegade Ops
  • Alpha Centauri
  • Killzone 3
  • Gunforce

Ouch. I had a year like that in '09 or '10, when I first discovered the Steam Holiday Sale. Fucking bundles. I didn't really have a backlog until then, now I'm still trying to overcome it.

Brashnir

Here's the mini-reviews for the games I've finished thus far in 2012. I'm not sure which game I should play next. I'm debating between Fable 2, Alan Wake, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Darksiders, and Uncharted 2.

Batman:Arkham City - ~12 hours
I bought this on the final day of the Steam Sale. It had gone on sale earlier in the sale, but I was knee-deep in some game on that day, plus I never finished Arkham Asylum, so I passed. When it came up again later, I bit and picked it up.

I had played (and enjoyed) AA, but for some unremembered reason, I quit 2/3 of the way through and never got back to it. With Arkham City, once I made my way into Gotham, I didn't get out until I had taken down all of the menagerie of lovable Batman villains once for for... OK, so probably not for all. This is Batman after all.

I particularly enjoyed that this game - while extremely similar to its predecessor, mixed things up just enough to keep things fresh. The Catwoman sections were a blast, and really make me hunger for a Catwoman game from this team, or even from another team under their direction.

Overall Rating - 4/5

Gears of War 3 - 7-8 hours
If you're at all interested and invested in Gears of War, you should play this game. If you're not, it won't do anything to change your opinion about the franchise. It's hard to rank the campaigns since they're ultimately so similar, but this one managed to not have a section that I hated, so it definitely gets marks for that. It also didn't have any moments that stood out as much as the first two for me. I'm not sure if that's because the whole affair has a bit of a "been there, done that" atmosphere to it, or if this one's standout moments just left me a little flat.

That said, it does an excellent job keeping the player engaged throughout, and finishes the trilogy with a reasonable amount of closure, which is sort of rare in games these days - where they always seem to want to draw you along for yet another sequel. I'm sure there will be a Gears 4 at some point, but this particular story is finished, and I appreciate that.

Overall rating - 4/5

Rayman:Origins ~10 hours
I had read plenty of glowing impressions of this, and seen a number of videos showing how beautiful it was, so I finally bit the bullet and picked this up when it went on sale.

The game got off to a bit of a slow start. I found the first world of the game to be a bit of a bore, honestly, and when I looked at the map and saw what appeared to be 5 total worlds, I was ready to be disappointed.

After the first world, however, the game really starts to come into its own, adding new powerups and ways to challenge the player, with diverse settings, gorgeous art, and a handful of devilish platforming sequences. As the difficulty ramps up, the game still manages to never seem impossible or unfair. The fairly liberal checkpoints (in most non-race levels) and the lack of a lives counter mean you always feel like you're doing better and making progress toward the next section.

And then, when you beat the boss of world 5, you're greeted with 4 new areas to explore (granted they share art assets with the first 4 worlds, but that's ok) with 4 new bosses to overcome. This is where the game really hits its stride, and where it goes from being an OK platformer to an instant classic. I suspect that history will show this to be among the all-time great 2D platformers. (which would also put it among the all-time great platformers period)

Overall rating - 5/5

Batman: Arkham Asylum - ~10-15 hours (not sure, as I came back to this after a long layoff)
After completing Arkham City in 2 sittings, I decided I needed to knock this one out of the backlog as well while the mechanics were still fresh in my mind. So after finishing the other two new games, this one was first up for the real backlog clearing.

I found it to be surprisingly easy to jump back in and pick the story up. In my mind, I had left off at some confusing bit, but when I got in, I basically just needed to run straight ahead and work my way though the mooks and puzzles in the area I was in. Once I got back out into the Asylum grounds, I was surprised how restrictive and small the areas were. I didn't find navigating from building to building to be much fun at all, but thankfully you don't have to spend much time out there.

I don't recall how much time I had put into the game beforehand, but it took me about 4 hours to finish the game up. It was a lot of fun and I wished I had done it earlier. There was quite a bit of variety even within the last third or so of this game, including some stuff you don't see at all in Arkham City.

Overall Rating - 4/5

Prince of Persia - The Forgotten Sands - ~8 hours
I had bought and played the 2008 reboot of PoP, and it didn't really sit all that well with me. I'd like to go back and try it again sometime, but I haven't gotten around to it. It wasn't the ease/lack of death that bothered me in the game (the only difference between it and any other checkpoint system is semantics) so much as the level structure/hub world and backtracking.

I had heard that this game was more in the vein of the PS2/Xbox PoP games, so I picked it up for cheap about a year ago and never got around to putting it in until now. Once I finally got down to playing it, it didn't disappoint in being a very faithful return to the last-gen PoP style. I've read some reviews on the game that dock it for being a step back, or more of the same, but I don't really have a problem with it. I'd rather a game keep using an "old" formula that works rather than coming up with something that's new and worse.

However, with that said, this game isn't as good as Sands of Time. The puzzles are, for the most part, simpler and easier to solve (though that might be a bit of nostalgia goggles on my part. It may simply be that I'm now better at identifying the solutions to these puzzles having played a number of these games before) and the game doesn't really start throwing any real challenge at the player's dexterity until the final sequence. Still, I liked the game enough to finish it in two sittings, so that has to count for something. It's a simple, linear PoP game, and that's OK.

Overall Rating - 3/5

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon - 5-6 hours
I was a big fan of the EDF franchise up til this point. I think that, while the game certainly has a ton of technical issues, it gets so much right in the game department that most of those issues are forgivable. This game, developed by a different studio, seemed interested in making a more polished game on a technical level, and to that end, they succeeded, but the game still has a "budget" feel all over it.

And then there's the gameplay. Every single change they made to the game in this department is for the worse. Levels are bigger, longer and scripted. This makes replaying them after a failure a massive chore. A big part of what I loved about the EDF series is that the levels are like quick puzzles. You go in, fail, see what you did wrong and adjust your weapons and tactics accordingly. In EDF:IA, if you fail on the last part of a mission, it's 20 minutes down the drain with no checkpoints.

Weapon and armor upgrades have been shoehorned into some hackneyed level system, where you can't use weapons you've looted because you're not high enough level. And it takes so long to earn levels, that it doesn't even give you encouragement to level up. (For reference, I was level 4 when I finished the game) You can also buy weapons with exp, but the gain is so slow that you can only really buy 2 or 3 weapons per level, so you just end up using the same ones every time.

Where EDF always had campy b-movie charm with its voiceover, this game has "trying too hard" written all over it. I can't help but roll my eyes at every "joke" the game throws at you. They're not funny. Not even in a way that they're funny if you sit with your friends and MST3K them. They're just groan-inducing and terrible.

Then at the end, you die. Yep. You make it to the escape vehicle in time, and then it gets blown up in a cutscene and you die. What a piece of shit.

Overall Rating - 1/5

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - 5-6 hours

I'm a big fan of:
Isometric action games
Twin-stick shooters
Environmental puzzles

So I should love this game, right? A lot of people seemed to, going by reviews and impressions out there. For some reason though, it just left me flat. It wasn't bad, and there were definitely sections that I enjoyed, but by the end of the game, I was more relieved that it was over than exhilirated at finishing it.

Looking back, I can't even really put my finger on any specific elements of the game I didn't like (other than the interminable final boss battle) but the game never really grabbed me either. Perhaps a run through the co-op campaign would change my opinion, but after finishing the single player game, I'm not sure I'm interested in trying.

Overall rating - 2/5

mshlive

Good Thread.

I'm + 2 so far, having not purchased any games this year.

Games completed:

Ico HD (PS3) - Platinum Trophy
Amazing game, loved every minute of it and would recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it yet as this was the first time I've ever touched the game.

Uncharted 3 (PS3) - Platinum Trophy
Again another great game, a bit of a slow starter but once it gets going don't look back. Not as good as Uncharted 2 but certainly worth a playthrough or two.

I don't even want to think about my backlog from 2011, the amount of money I spent on games and then haven't even put them in my console and turned it on yet is excruciatingly painful.
KuGsj.gif

Why is it that I feel the need to buy a game and that I think I want to play it and enjoy it (be it during Steam sales - mostly, or even during other sales at stores, or even just buying a new release that I think I might maybe like) and then never play it because I'm still playing something else and never get to it? It's like I feel like OWNING the game but I don't care about playing it... wtf is with that?
LLShC.gif
. Or, I'll buy something new while I'm playing something else that I'm only semi enjoying, start playing the new game, and never go back to the older game again
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

I have not finished one game in 2012, I have only played one game in 2012.

Skyrim.

I think perhaps it would be good to list your own backlog and then as you play them you can cross them off... it might make sense to me to list out the games that I have just to give myself a slap in the face. Perhaps that's what the Backloggery should be for?

Need to play
Batman: Arkham City
Uncharted 3

Dark Souls
Ace Combat Assault Horizon
Mortal Kombat
Demon's Souls
Red Dead Redemption
Rage
Grand Theft Auto 4 + Episodes
Crysis Warhead
Mass Effect
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Starcraft 2
Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed II
Cities XL 2012
C&C4: Tiberian Twilight
Company of Heroes
Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor

Dead Island
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
DiRT 2
DiRT 3
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Metro 2033
Mirror's Edge
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Renegade Ops
Civilization V
SkyDrift
Skyrim
Sonic Generations
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Unreal Tournament 3: Black
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II Chaos Rising

Wings of Prey

Hot damn that makes me sick... There is no chance in hell I'm ever going to get through all of those games, wtf was I thinking! I'll bold the ones that I think I might want to play, but unlikely finish.

Bold italics is ones that I will commit to finishing. HAHA! Two!

That's it. I'm going to decide to really pull myself together this year, I'm only going to buy stuff that I REALLY want to play. I suppose getting a lot of those games during Steam sales for $10 or less is worth it just to have them in-case I feel like going there at some point in the future, but the ones I bought on launch full price... that hurts.

Brashnir

Hot damn that makes me sick... There is no chance in hell I'm ever going to get through all of those games, wtf was I thinking! I'll bold the ones that I think I might want to play, but unlikely finish.

Bold italics is ones that I will commit to finishing. HAHA! Two!

That's it. I'm going to decide to really pull myself together this year, I'm only going to buy stuff that I REALLY want to play. I suppose getting a lot of those games during Steam sales for $10 or less is worth it just to have them in-case I feel like going there at some point in the future, but the ones I bought on launch full price... that hurts.

No need to commit to finishing more than two now. The best way to attack a backlog is to pick a game and play it until you're done. Skyrim right off the bat means it'll be a while until you get to game #2, but that's not so bad. Play the game that appeals to you most when you start the next one, and so on.

And yeah, you should stop spending full retail for games at this point unless you know you're going to go home and play them right then. One of the nice things about having a backlog is that it gives you plenty to play while you wait for games to come down in price. It's also a good idea to not buy sequels to games you haven't played. I see 4 (!) Prince of Persia games on your list, and they're not even bolded. They're all good games, but if you didn't play the first 2, why buy the third and fourth? (unless they were part of a bundle deal, then I guess I get it.)

my backlog (ps3):

assassin's creed
burnout paradise
cod: modern warfare 3
fight night: champion
final fantasy xiii
god of war iii
gta iv: complete edition
infamous 2
marvel vs capcom 3
uncharted 2

i'm currently playing the bold whenever i actually have free time, which is few and far in between. but so far i'm +1 this year, buying nothing yet and beating batman: arkham asylum.

The_Monk

but so far i'm +1 this year, buying nothing yet and beating batman: arkham asylum.

Just like me!

Just beat Batman AC on PS3 and not a single game bought in 2012 so far.

The main story felt a little short but the extra stuff in the city is good to get more of the game. Punching feels powerful and the sound was amazing. I felt this was the best winter game to be played when's cold outside. Loved the Catwoman DLC, in fact I would love a similar game with the main focus on her, loved the combat, the whip and the way she walks.

So far:

+1

Currently playing: RAGE on my 360 and will keep my plan on avoiding buying unless I clean to a minimal my not-so-long backlog.

EDIT: Argh you finished Asylum, not AC, my bad slick7rick ;)

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'll be in.

Bought So far

Jan
Battlefield 3(PC): I really don't know why I got it.
Duke Nukem Forever(PC): It was a dollar thanks to someone giving me a coupon, so why not.
Risen(PC): 5.99, DRM free on Amazon. Why not.

Total: -2

Beaten

Jan
Bulletstorm(PC): 12 hours to beat main story + all Echoes with 3 stars.
Mass Effect(PC): 18 hours to clear Main story with some side missions
Portal 2(PC): 6 and a half hours for main story
Mass Effect 2(PC): 22 hours. Complete clear. All Loyalty and side missions done.

Total: +4

Currently Playing
Dragon's Age Origins

What I hope to clear out this year.

Decided to make a list of the top titles I want to axe out of my backlog this year. Hopefully to help me keep from spending more than 300$.

1.Dark Souls or Demon Souls: I ended up getting Dark Souls as my gift for Birthday/Christmas since I made the mistake of mentioning my interest in it to my parents. Thing is, I haven't even played Demon Souls yet.
2. Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2: I'm about 6-7 hours into Mass Effect over the last year. I've started up three times only to stop. I'd like to finish it and get onto the sequel.
3. Half Life 2, Episode 1, and Episode 2: Half Life 2 is quite possibly the oldest title in my backlog. Owned it since 2004 and never got far in the game.
4. Knights of the Old Republic II + User patch: I rebought it on PC for this mod, but never got around to replaying it.
5. Dawn of War II + Chaos Rising Campaigns: I suck so badly at RTS, but I'm kind of hoping I can make it through these campaigns.
6. Dragon Age Origins + Baldur's Gate II: I have never played BG2. I owned it for a while and have the typical multiple saves, each a few hours into the game, but I always lose interest. I also have DA:Origins sitting here. I'd like to get through both this year.
7. Trails of the Sky: I got PSP a bit back for 50$ and got this game as my bonus from Amazon. I bought it solely on word of mouth from Gaf.
8. Bayonetta: This isn't a beat, but rather I want to ace everything in the game.
9. Alpha Protocol:Recommended by selected members of Gaf.
10. Persona II Innocent Sin

Bebpo

Banned
2012 is off to a good start. Only bought 2 games so far and finished 6 so +4

Cleared:
Dead Space Extraction
Uncharted 3
Rock of Ages
Orcs Must Die
Saints Row The Third
Outland

Bought:
Castlevania LoS
Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing

Much better than my last two years, though I know the Vita launch next month will throw me in the negative index quickly.

2011 Breakdown
Progress Index:

2010 Breakdown
Progress Index:

Twinduct

Joining this.
Trying to kill my backlog in hope of not spending money on steam (until big sales of course).
Having Said that.

Bought in 2012: 0
Completed in 2012: +1
Current Score: +1

Beaten:
  • A.R.E.S

Currently Playing:
  • Bastion
  • Dungeon Seige 3
  • Mass Effect 2

coopolon

I'll play. I'm also in for the other thread of not buying any new games in 2012 (at least not until Steam Xmas sale.) My backloggery.

Bought so far in 2012: 0
Beaten so far in 2012: 1
Score: +1

Beaten:
Psychonauts: A really wonderful game. It was funny, played well, and had an enjoyable story. But where the game really shined was in the incredibly creative level design. They were artistically and thematically brilliant in addition to being decent platforming levels. And it has such incredible variety, no two levels are anything alike. It's a great game. It also plays perfectly with a gamepad on the PC and looks gorgeous at 1080p.

Currently Playing:
LA Noire - The Complete Edition: I'm getting close to finishing LA Noire. After impulsively buying it during the last Steam sale I immediately began to regret the purchase remembering all the negative flack the game got after the hype died down and the problems with the PC port. But I am actually really glad I got it. It really is just a mediocre adventure game, but the setting is great and I've got a thing for detective stories. It looks wonderful on PC but it does run very poorly.

guest1321

I'm down for this!

Bought in 2012: -1
Completed in 2012: +2
Current Score: +1

Beaten:
  • Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
  • Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Currently Playing:
  • Forza Motorsport 4
  • Rayman: Origins $

Current Backlog:
  • Halo 3: ODST
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum
  • Batman: Arkham City
  • Warhammer 40k: Space Marine
  • Dead Space 2
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • Pure
  • Project Gotham Racing 4
  • Borderlands
  • BIT.TRIP RUNNER
  • Jamestown
  • Nightsky HD
  • Portal 2
  • Super Meat Boy

$ - indicates game purchased in 2012

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so glad someone made a new thread as I always enjoyed updating the backlog thread. So far I'm +2 this year:

Beaten in 2012: 2

Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (1/1) - Not bad. Better than most people seem to say around here. I found some of the puzzles and bosses to be quite fun.
Dungeons of Dredmor (1/12) - Outstanding. I'm generally not a big fan of roguelikes (nor am I a fan of that term...) but I loved Dredmor. My only big disapointment was getting the pirate skill tree achievement when I advanced through the vegan skill tree.

Bought: 0

Hmmm, ok.

Bought: 1
Beaten: 2
Score: 1

Bought:

Nier (360) - was on sale at HMV, read lots of good things about it 'round these parts so I caved

Beaten:

Jamestown (PC, ~2 hrs) - I'm considering this finished since I saw all the story content and I don't think I could bring myself to play it more beyond the two hours I've already spent. I find the patterns incredibly dull, and the story content is sort of offensively stupid (romanticizing colonial narratives and lazily exploiting The Lost Colony because I haven't seen that a million times before zzzzzzzz).

Red Faction: Armageddon (PC, ~13 hrs) - I'll repost what I just wrote in the voting thread: I skipped it during release, bitter over the loss of competitive multiplayer. And I was sure I would hate the campaign. But, once I jumped in, I gave in. I cannot resist Geo-Mod and the Magnet Gun is a blast. I even enjoyed the cave-dwelling, with all its shapes, colors, and music. The atmosphere was thick and engrossing. Sure enough, it ends up getting more and more stupid as it goes (the story becomes nonsensical and there are way too many vehicle and on-rail segments), but it's enjoyable enough as a diversion. And props for a sympathetic protagonist. Mason spends the whole game trying to do right by people, which at least makes the journey compelling to a point (nevermind the lousy "drama" near the end, though I appreciate the sentiment behind the final scene).

Currently playing:

Fruit Ninja Kinect (360) - I'll add it to the completed list when I can get the high score achievements. I seem to kind of suck at this game...

Dungeon Defendors (PC) - Just started goofing around with some friends. Will start a ranked character and make an effort at exploring all of its contents soon.

nonnocere

*sigh*

I will try my hardest this year.

Beaten: 1

LEGO Star Wars III (360) - my wife and I started this on New Year's Eve while the kids were at the in-laws for the night and we finished it over the next few days.

Currently Playing:
Uncharted 2 (PS3) - Going through on Hard, getting the treasures. I don't know if I will be able to get the Crushing trophy or not.
Saints Row 2 (360) - A buddy and I are doing the co-op main story. He may not have the heart to do the side-missions.

I've got a log of games that I need to get through, though I did poorly at the end of the year with the buy 2 get 1 deals. New year, though, so I don't have to report them, right?

I guess my games will end with me selling/trading them unless I 100%/Platinum them.

Hmmm, ok.

Beaten: 2

Oh, wait, I'm doing better than I thought.

Beaten: 3
Score: 2

Beaten:

inFAMOUS (PS3, ~20 hrs? wasn't really keeping track of time) - I keep thinking I played this last year but it was actually the first week of 2012 so add another point! I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this. The game features one of the worst attempts at providing narrative context I have ever seen (starts out silly and incompetent, quickly takes a turn for obnoxious douchebaggery, upgrades to mysogynistic, and we still have two more "islands" to go), but of course it also makes a great argument for pressing skip and just getting on with the damn game. The superpowers are a lot of fun and the mission scenarios get more sophisticated and enthralling as the game progresses. Everything ramps up nicely and I had a good time. I even liked what they were trying to do with the twist ending, utter incompetence in the execution department notwithstanding. I walked away with the desire to play inFAMOUS 2, so the point goes to Sucker Punch.

I like this thread. It serves a direct useful purpose.

BOUGHT:

X-COM (-1)

BEAT:

Saint's Row 3 (+1)
Borderlands (+1)

Jan. 21st TOTAL: 1

Grakl

-23 (PC) http://backloggery.com/Grakl

Bastion
Bioshock
Borderlands
Breath of Death VII
Bulletstorm
Cthulhu Saves the World
Deus Ex
Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition
Fallout 3
Freespace 2
Half-Life
Just Cause 2
KOTOR
Morrowind
Neverwinter Nights
Oblivion
Overlord
Skyrim
Super Meat Boy
VVVVVV
The Witcher
World of Goo

Let's do this.

daxy

Bought:
Sonic CD
[Trilogy] Metroid Prime
[Trilogy] Metroid Prime: Echoes
[Trilogy] Metroid Prime: Corruption
Payday: The Heist
Evochron Mercenary
Nuclear Dawn
Fractal
Max and the Magic Marker
Super Crossfire
Star Wars TFU
X: Beyond the Frontier
X-Tension
X2: The Threat
X3: Reunion
X3: Albion Prelude
X3: Terran Conflict

Currently Playing:
Sonic CD
Metroid Prime
Evochron Mercenary

Beaten:

I don't even plan on beating the first two X games, ha. It was part of the X-Superbox. Not looking forward to playing more SWTFU, but I'm having a blast with Metroid Prime on Wii though and the end of Sonic CD is in sight.

How would I go about 'finishing' a multiplayer game like Nuclear Dawn? The only part I played was the tutorial. Perhaps if there are class levels I could try maxing them out.

Brashnir

I don't even plan on beating the first two X games, ha. It was part of the X-Superbox. Not looking forward to playing more SWTFU, but I'm having a blast with Metroid Prime on Wii though and the end of Sonic CD is in sight.

How would I go about 'finishing' a multiplayer game like Nuclear Dawn? The only part I played was the tutorial. Perhaps if there are class levels I could try maxing them out.

If you got a game as part of a bundle and don't plan on ever playing it, it's fair to not count it, I think.

As for the multiplayer games, it's sort of like an arcade/score attack game, I suppose. Once you've invested enough time that you feel you've gotten your money's worth out of it, it seems reasonable to count it as finished.

I just finished Fable 2, so that one is out of the backlog, putting me at +4. I don't know what the total time was, since I took a 2-year break in the middle of it, but I'd suspect it was around 10-15 hours to complete.

The game is a difficult one to put a rating on, since I found the experience to be very uneven. I rather enjoyed the combat, simple though it was. I liked being able to mix up ranged, melee and magic attacks at the press of a button, and spent points leveling all 3 as the game went on.

The story on the other hand, while it had it's moments, seemed a little bit on the preachy side. It felt like the game was constantly telling me how I should feel about it rather than giving me something worth having a genuine feeling over. I did like the bit infiltrating the Orwellian compound, cliche as it was. Making it cost the player XP to do the "good" thing really made doing them sting.

Overall, I liked it well enough, but wish it had inspired me a little bit more.

Overall rating - 3/5

guest1321

I'm a little confused here OP. Do we update our "main post" to reflect the changes in what games we've played or do we make a new post everything we beat/buy something?

Brashnir

I'm a little confused here OP. Do we update our "main post" to reflect the changes in what games we've played or do we make a new post everything we beat/buy something?

It's probably best to keep posting as you have updates. People generally don't read back in threads, so your updates might get missed. Feel free to post summaries as you go, though, if you want to keep a list.

Finished
Gemini Rue
Back to the Future: Episode 2
Gray Matter

Playing right now
Skyrim
Frozen Synapse

Backlog
The Witcher 2 - waiting for my new computer
Total War: Shogun 2 - waiting for my new computer
Ghost Trick - borrowed
Back to the Future: Episode 3-5
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - played 4-5 hours, hasn´t clicked for me yet
The Last Express
Alpha Protocol - played 2 hours, but doesn´t rank it over above mentioned RPG´s yet.
Mount & Blade: Warband - Prophecy of Pendor mod

Bought this year
None so far

Sora_N

Bought: -3
January: Skylander's Spyro's Adventure (3DS), enslaved (PS3), Dead or Alive Dimensions

Beaten: +1
January:
Skylander's Spyro's Adventure (3DS)

Score: -2

Currently Playing:
enslaved (PS3)
Dead or Alive Dimensions

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
This could be fun

Completed: 0

Score: 0

List:
Yakuza 3
Yakuza 4
Bayonetta(Trophy Pack Completion)
Vanquish(Trophy Pack Completion)
Resident Evil 4(Trophy Pack Completion)
Hard Corps: Uprising(Trophy Pack Completion)
Metal Gear Solid 2(Trophy Pack Completion)
Shinobi PS2
God Hand
Vagrant Story
Brave Fencer Musashi

Added games I own that I want to complete again sometime this year, and games with Trophy Packs I've been meaning to go back to and complete.

Hopefully this thread is the motivation I needed to do so.

Thores

Awesome thread idea! My overall backlog has gotten huge, maybe a fresh-ish start will make me feel like I'm actually making progress.

My Backloggery. The 2012 count might be inaccurate soon, since there's some games I obtained in 2011 that I've been procrastinating on adding to my list. My GBA Ambassador games, a Neverwinter Nights compilation I got for Christmas, etc.

Q1 Update
April Update
May Update
June Update
July Update
August Update
September Update
October Update
November Update

Bought in 2012: -44
Beaten in 2012: +25
Current Score: -19

Bought:
Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP
Catherine (PS3)
Monster Tale
Skullgirls (PSN)
Xenoblade Chronicles
Kid Icarus Uprising
Metroid Prime (GC)
Azure Dreams (PS1)
Infinite Space
Flower Sun and Rain (DS)
Dragon's Dogma (PS3)
Psychonauts (PC)
Limbo (PC)
Bastion (PC)
Art Style: PiCTOBiTS
Pokemon Conquest
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (3DS VC)
Mole Mania (3DS VC)
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (3DS VC)
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2 Innocent Sin (PSP)
Persona 4 Arena (PS3)
Torchlight (PC)
The Last Story
Tokyo Jungle
The Denpa Men: They Came By Wave
Pokemon White 2
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (3DS)
Knights of Pen & Paper (iPhone)
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Torchlight II
Dead Island
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (PC)
To The Moon
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC)
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition (PC)
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Heavy Rain
Lone Survivor
Journey
Crimson Shroud
Guns of Icarus Online
Cherry Tree High Comedy Club
McPixel
The Walking Dead (PC)

Beaten:
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Sonic Generations (PC)
Blazblue: Calamity Trigger (PSP)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team
Bully: Scholarship Edition (PC)
Monster Tale
The Binding of Isaac
Skullgirls (PSN)
Kid Icarus Uprising
Xenoblade Chronicles
Art Style: PiCTOBiTS
Tales of Monkey Island (PC)
WarioWare D.I.Y. Showcase
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (VC)
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
Persona 4 Arena (PS3)
Pokemon Conquest
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (3DS VC)
Pokemon White 2
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (3DS)
Final Fantasy X
Cherry Tree High Comedy Club
McPixel
To The Moon

I think I will give this a shot since so far this year I actually am on the plus side.

Currently at +2

Bought in 2012: Rochard

Beaten for the first time in 2012:

Bastion:

Overall I liked it. Glad it was not longer though because it was starting to become tedious at the end.

Bioshock 2:

Got it cheap and was hoping the gameplay was improved from the first one. Not a horrible game in any way and truly beautiful sometimes and great atmosphere. But oh so boring in the combat.

Fire Emblem: shiny magical stones(can't remember exact title)
Big fan of the Fire emblem series and had never played this one since I encountered the series first with the gamecube. A bit on the easy side perhaps but it was fire emblem and I loved it.

Currently playing and replaying:

Pushmo beaten 100+ puzzles so far, Fallout las vegas(broke the 200 hour limit lol)

Not sure what to go after next in my backlog though. Maybe Batman city.

Odrion

Banned
MY SCORE THIS YEAR.

-3. Bought five, beaten two.

And here they are!

Sonic & Sega Allstar Racing (PC Version): Close to greatness. The gameplay is there, with responsive controls and weaponry balanced enough to make your modern Mario Karts hang it's head in shame. Unfortunately, the game decides that throwaway Sonic characters like Big or Amy was more important than using ones from other games. The art assets for the tracks are reused too much as well, and so the tracks lose character (one of the things that makes the Mario Kart series so great.)

So all in all, plays great (looks pretty good too), but some parts of it feel rushed and sort of forced.

A solid 7, and I heavily recommend buying it on Steam if you want a kart racer and don't have access to something that plays a modern Mario Kart (or want to play a kart racer on an HD platform.

A.R.E.S.: Extinction Agenda A game that got the attention of the XNA community. A.R.E.S. was a promising XBLIG game that brought over to the PC. Smart move.

And uh, yup. It's something alright. The creatures and your avatar look great, but the environments are pretty serviceable. The music is sort of generic techno flair that I'm only mentioning because they're trying to sell it for $5. The level design is bland for half of the game, and various core mechanics seem to come from ideas that seemed cool at the time but in execution betrays itself. You see, instead of enemies occasionally dropping ammo for one of your abilities or health. They drop three different types of currency (and since every item requires all three, it seems kinda redundant to have three different types of currency.) And with the currency, you press your shop button and use it on grenade ammo, health kits, or you save enough to upgrade your weapons. And because upgrading your weapon seems like the top priority thing to do, you try to spend as little as you can on your grenades or health kits. So far, this is alright. What fucks it up is that you use grenades on special blocks to open up pathways or you use them as a "boost to get to platforms that require it. So you end up constantly going back and forth between menus to get the grenades you need to get through a platforming area. And it gets tedious, fast. Also, because you can buy health kits (and they're dirt cheap.) You can pretty much brute force your way through bosses or any other hard part of the game. The whole system makes the game a little too easy, even on the "hard" difficulty. And with only five levels, adding up to a meager 106 minutes, it's a short affair as well.

But I may be trashing on it too much. Even though the first half of the game feels bland, it picks up afterwards and shows what potential it could've had. And if everything was as good as the final level of the game, I would be praising this game. But it isn't.

It gets a 6 (I wanted to say lower, but after beating it, I kinda want to play it some more. That says something.) I'd say play through it out if it comes in a indie bundle, or buy it if it's on steam for a dollar. But right now they want to sell it to you for $10, and fuck that.

stonedwal

Been chipping away at my backlog since the old backlog contest started at the end of 2009. Might focus on longer games for this year - have been getting too caught up in reaching the end of games, and haven't been savouring the experience. Still have way too many holdovers from last gen, but I'm under budget restrictions for another year, so I'm hoping to knock a bunch of them over.

Beaten in 2012: +8
Current Score: +8

Beaten:
Shadows of the Damned (PS3)
Mortal Kombat Armageddon (Wii)
Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil (Xbox)
Total Overdose (Xbox)
Deathrow (Xbox)
Sid Meier's Pirates! (Xbox)
Sly 2: Band of Thieves (PS3, Sly Trilogy)
Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves (PS3, Sly Trilogy)

Currently Playing
Okami (PS2): Been sitting around for too long. I imagine it'll take me the better part of a month to get through it, but I'm enjoying it. Decided to start over rather than trying to pick up where I left off five years ago.
Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires (PS2): Another that'll take a long time, especially if I continue to spread my armies too thin like I did on the first campaign.

zon

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon - 5-6 hours
I was a big fan of the EDF franchise up til this point. I think that, while the game certainly has a ton of technical issues, it gets so much right in the game department that most of those issues are forgivable. This game, developed by a different studio, seemed interested in making a more polished game on a technical level, and to that end, they succeeded, but the game still has a "budget" feel all over it.

And then there's the gameplay. Every single change they made to the game in this department is for the worse. Levels are bigger, longer and scripted. This makes replaying them after a failure a massive chore. A big part of what I loved about the EDF series is that the levels are like quick puzzles. You go in, fail, see what you did wrong and adjust your weapons and tactics accordingly. In EDF:IA, if you fail on the last part of a mission, it's 20 minutes down the drain with no checkpoints.

Weapon and armor upgrades have been shoehorned into some hackneyed level system, where you can't use weapons you've looted because you're not high enough level. And it takes so long to earn levels, that it doesn't even give you encouragement to level up. (For reference, I was level 4 when I finished the game) You can also buy weapons with exp, but the gain is so slow that you can only really buy 2 or 3 weapons per level, so you just end up using the same ones every time.

Where EDF always had campy b-movie charm with its voiceover, this game has "trying too hard" written all over it. I can't help but roll my eyes at every "joke" the game throws at you. They're not funny. Not even in a way that they're funny if you sit with your friends and MST3K them. They're just groan-inducing and terrible.

Then at the end, you die. Yep. You make it to the escape vehicle in time, and then it gets blown up in a cutscene and you die. What a piece of shit.

Overall Rating - 1/5

This is such a weird (and bad) review. You claim that you used to play the previous games and yet you seem completely oblivious to the fact that these games are meant to be played over and over on higher and higher difficulties. Which, in turn, unlocks drops of better and better weapons for you so you can keep up with the tide of monsters. It is the same for the character progression that they've added in this game. So no, you are never supposed to reach lvl 7 (or is it 8? I forget) just by playing on Normal difficulty. You max out your level somewhere at the end of the campaign on the highest difficulty and just like other games have done before it, you will not get to see the completele ending until you finish the game on the highest difficulty.

I liked the game and thought it was an OK addition to the series, the only thing I miss from the previous EDF is the sheer amount of monsters it threw at you. Here the monsters just seem to toughen up a lot when you increase the difficulty which in a way gives the illusion of tons of monsters, but it's only an illusion.

I'll use this as a clean-slate and consider just games bought during 2012 as +1 else I'd be -somethinglikeinfinite :X
my VERY partial backloggery (doesn't include half o pc collection, just a few entry regarding ps3 and xbox360, no ds, psp entry, no old-gen entry)
http://backloggery.com/newgame.php?user=witchedwiz

I'll try to be a good boy and finish a game before this month's end!

18-Volt

Bought in 2012:
El Shaddai: Ascension of Metatron
Pokémon Rumble Blast
Score: -2

Beaten in 2012:
Assassin's Creed: Revelations (took about 6 hours to complete the main story, and additional 2 hours to do everything, books, mediterrenean defense and desmon's quest)

Total Score: -1

In Progress:
Saints Row the Third
Rayman Origins
Catherine
El Shaddai
Pushmo (played for 14 hours and still haven't even beaten the half of the game)

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Beaten in 2012: 2

Mario Kart 7: 2 starred every Grand Prix (3 stars on 50 and 100 CC) and played a lot of online racing. It will constantly be played for the next few years, I think, but it is reasonable to count it.

Super Mario 3D Land: Just all stars and a shiny save file. Amazing game; possibly the best Mario game?

So, overall I am on +2. Not bad.

BUT! Games in progress; Skyward Sword, Metroid Fusion, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Windwaker, Luigi's Mansion.

Also, the games I am looking to buy in the immediate future; Last Story, Rhythm Heaven Wii, Resident Evil: Revelations, Luigi's Mansion 2, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Pushmo.

Beaten in 2012: +2
  • Brother's in Arms: Hell's Highway - 5,5 hrs
  • Renegade Ops - 4,6 hrs

Total score: +2

Currently playing:
  • Dead Island
  • Alice: Madness Returns
  • Batman: Arkham City
  • Prince of Persia (2008)
...and loads more, but this is what I'll focus on completing.

Netto-kun

So far so good, I guess.

Bought in 2012: 2
Beaten in 2012: 6
Current score: +4

Games bought:
Deus Ex
Tales of the Tempest

Games beaten:
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP)
Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3)
Inazuma Eleven 2: The Threat of the Invaders - Fire (NDS)
Portal 2 (Steam)
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSP)
Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PSP)

Twinduct

Update.

Completed in 2012: +2
Current Score: +2

Beaten:
  • A.R.E.S
  • Bastion

Currently Playing:
  • Dungeon Seige 3
  • Mass Effect 2

Omikaru

My current standing.

Bought
Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) -1
Bar Oasis (iOS) -1
Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition (PC) -1
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (PC) -1
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (PC) -1

Completed
Sonic CD (iOS) +1
Scribblenauts Remix (iOS) +1

Total

Next up
Hoping to get to zero before FFXIII-2 and MGS: HD Collection arrive in Europe, and add even more to my negatives. Thinking I'll finish off Gemini Rue today, get cracking on Super Mario 3D Land in the week, and play Bar Oasis in my off time on the hope that I get through it by then.

Mini Reviews

Sonic CD (iOS): Pleasantly surprised that this iOS port works so well. Silky smooth framerate, tight controls (for a touch screen game), and overall a good port with neat extras. If you liked playing Sonic CD on the Mega CD/Sega CD, you'll like this. If you didn't, you won't. If you like a platformer with good exploration and not just pressing right to win, Sonic CD is a winner.

Scribblenauts Remix (iOS): Quite enjoyed this game as a small distraction. Levels only take a couple of minutes to do, and I finished it up pretty quickly in my spare time. Well worth the 69p I paid for it over Christmas. Now if only the DLC In App Purchase worked on my version; I can't seem to see it and WB just haven't addressed this issue at all.

Testicle

Banned
Aiming to beat a game each week this year.

Bought: -8
GundeadliGne
Nuclear Dawn
Max and the Magic Marker
Fractal
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Civilization V
Civilization IV + Expansions
Civilization IV: Colonization

Beaten: +4
Dead Space 2
Mass Effect
Civilization V (not really 'beatable' but I've sunk more than 60 hours into it so I feel I've got my money's worth)
Tomb Raider Anniversary

Total: -4

Currently Playing:
Civilization IV
Mass Effect 2
Tropico 3

Jarlaxle

Completed: 1

Beat: Uncharted 3: Took about 10-11 hours to complete. I loved this game. After 110 hours of Skyrim this was a great palette cleanser. The game looks amazing. The set pieces are out of this world and the game keeps moving at a nice cliip. I also found it a bit easier than Uncharted 2 but it also didn't have the same wow factor.

Currently Playing: Bastion.

Deefuzz

Sure, I'll play. Been wanting to do some serious work on my backlog so hopefully this will keep me motivated!

Completed: 0
Score: 0

Currently Playing: Skyrim, Professor Layton and the Curious Village, Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed Revelations,

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Completed in 2012: +3
Current Score: +3

Beaten:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC, 23h)
Mass Effect 2 (PC, 29h)
Portal 2 (PC, 5h)

Currently Playing:
The Last Express

Bumhead

Banned
Awesome thread. I'll play along.

I'll be updating mine at least once a month, just to keep track myself as much as anything.

January 2012
Games Bought: 3 (Ace Combat 3DS, WWE Allstars 3DS, Resident Evil Revelations)
Games Completed: 1 (Bastion)
Score for January: -2
Year to Date Score: -2

Currently Playing: Football Manager 2012, Ace Combat 3DS, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land

Theoretically this should be quite easy for me. I built my own PC in June last year and naturally went mad during the 2011 Steam sales, so I hate to think what my score for 2011 would be. At the start of 2012 though I did say I was done with Steam until at least the summer sales, so this thread will help me keep on top of that. I did buy a 3DS though recently and have just got into another Football Manager 2011 save, which has skewed my purchasing vs time to actually complete stuff more than I hoped.

Current Score: +3

Beaten:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC, 23h)
Mass Effect 2 (PC, 29h)
Portal 2 (PC, 5h)

Currently Playing:
The Last Express

5h for Portal 2? You must really have rushed through it. It took me over 10 hours.

My current status:

Bought in 2012: -6
Current Score: -3

Beaten:

Far Cry 2 (360) - 40 hours (Should have been around 30 hours, but I lost a LOT of progress due to freezing/lockups).

Currently Playing:

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (360)
Tropico 4 (360)
Lost Odyssey (360)

Purchased: -4
  • Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection
  • Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
  • Darksiders
  • Metro 2033
Completed: +4
  • Vanquish
  • Darksiders
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Fable III
= 0

I've bolded the games I have completed, the ones in italics cannot be beaten like traditional games:

XBOX 360

A Kingdom for Keflings
A World of Keflings
After Burner Climax
Alan Wake [DLC]
Alien Hominid HD
Alone in the Dark
Assassin's Creed
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts n Bolts
Bastion [DLC]
Battlefield 3