• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBW Rumor: The Next Xbox Has A Wii U Like Tablet Controller With HD Screen, Buttons

Here's a thought for you guys, and I know this is completely anecdotal and I haven't confirmed this with anyone else.

When the battery in your XBox 360 controller is about to die, how many of you fail to notice for 10+ minutes that the controller is doing that little LED dance? How many of you get slightly peeved that you have to stop the game and look down on it to make sure your batteries are dying?

Moving your eyes a few degrees down/up on a DS screen is not even close to being the same to cranking your head 90 degrees to stare at your controller. I realized as much when I knew that staring at my 360 controller do an LED dance was going to be the main experience (neck-wise) on the WiiU

stupidvillager

Neo Member
Doesn't the Wii U pretty much do all of that already? I mean its all in the patents that were posted a while back. If you take the time to read through it there is actually a lot there: Remote for TV, box checked. Augmented reality, box checked. Browser for internet box checked. Extra buttons and info on games, box checked. There's a lot more than that too, its just a long technical read.

Mitsurugi

Neo Member
Crazy thought, what if the rumored tablet isn't just a controller, but also a handheld game system as well. What if it's powerful enough to run 720 games at super low-level settings? Obviously if it could do this it'd have to double as a smart phone, retail for like 200-400$ and support at least 32GB SDHC cards.

Troll

Banned
Crazy thought, what if the rumored tablet isn't just a controller, but also a handheld game system as well. What if it's powerful enough to run 720 games at super low-level settings? Obviously if it could do this it'd have to double as a smart phone, retail for like 200-400$ and support at least 32GB SDHC cards.

They have Windows Phone, that was supposed to be their platform for mobile gaming. Things can change, but this would hurt the mobile strategy too much imo.

Zoe

On the ds Both screens are hardly ever get the same amout of attention. your brain can only concentrate and process one screen at a time anyways so There shouldn't be much difference between glancing down and looking down.

With a DS you'd just be flicking your eyes. With a TV + tablet controller, you'd be moving your neck back and forth.

Mitsurugi

Neo Member
They have Windows Phone, that was supposed to be their platform for mobile gaming. Things can change, but this would hurt the mobile strategy too much imo.

Hadn't thought of that. I'm thinking next gen MS will try to transition from physical mediums to digital, and strongly urging their customers to download 720 games. This seems like an appealing way to go about it. I can imagine the ads, ''Now you can play COD anywhere, anytime.''

Yep, you can tell the next-gen wars have begun when random publications are pushing "rumors" that are simply insane. The whole purpose of kinect is to get people to drop the controller and use just their body. There is no way they would try to copy the Wii U with a giant, expensive tablet controller.

Okay, real talk. If it's true how can anyone be surprised? Love'm or hate'm Nintendo's been trail blazin the console industry with varying degrees of success since day one! And other console makers have been implementing their ideas and putting their own spin on them also since day one.

Jonm1010

Banned
More so than pausing the game to cycle through separate menus? I feel like "immersion" is the weakest argument against having a screen on your controller.

Their last 2 have been terrible. Like Nintendo 2008 terrible.

If part of the function of the game requires a constant shifting between screens it would definitely break immersion for me. For instance putting your ammo count or map on the controller to which it will require a constant shift in eye movement.

Derrick01

Banned
Absolutely. MS blew away the competition the last several years. If you think differently you weren't paying attention.

Well those conferences were pretty hard to keep paying attention. I lost track somewhere between another call of duty and sesame street, disney land and fable kinect shit.

Vinci

Danish
I have a feeling I'll be telling my kids about how console generations used to go before it became about whoever had the best gimmick that did nothing or not much for the actual games.

If developers can't figure out what to do with a traditional controller that simply includes a touchscreen in the middle for additional options, then you should also mention how much more creative developers were prior to this coming gen.

The Wii-U controller is not "bulky". I've held it, and it's much more comfortable to hold than it looks.

Don't bother. They never listen.

I don't believe this for a second.

Kinect is where the next system is headed.

I imagine outside of a gyro the only evolution we will see is splitting the controller in two. Making kinect games actually fully interactive and bringing gaming to a new level. It doesn't take a genius to see the upside to dual analog split control system using kinect. Free hand motion, plus buttons and movement of your character.

The current shape and feel of the xbox controller is perfect, that's the last thing they should mess up. A separate tablet like their xbox remote? that's acceptable.

What I'd really like to see is a little, low res screen (maybe 2.5") where the guide button currently is. Touch screen to me is not even necessary let alone HD and the price of a base controller can't go up... but what this little screen adds would be nice in multiplayer (especially split screen).

- Local multiplayer board games where only you can see your own cards (eg. Settlers of Catan, Uno) could be great.
- Devs could create new game types with traitors or secret victory conditions (private information)
- changing your settings should be done on the little screen instead of pausing it for everybody
- A lot of dashboard type controls could use the little screen like message alerts or music controls (this might actually increase immersion since it doesn't appear on your main screen)

People were laughing at Sony for using the same controller for 3 generations, but they'll be beging for Dual Shock 4. Kutaragi, save us from this madness.

nick nacc

Banned
The current shape and feel of the xbox controller is perfect, that's the last thing they should mess up. A separate tablet like their xbox remote? that's acceptable.

What I'd really like to see is a little, low res screen (maybe 2.5") where the guide button currently is. Touch screen to me is not even necessary let alone HD and the price of a base controller can't go up... but what this little screen adds would be nice in multiplayer (especially split screen).

- Local multiplayer board games where only you can see your own cards (eg. Settlers of Catan, Uno) could be great.
- Devs could create new game types with traitors or secret victory conditions (private information)
- changing your settings should be done on the little screen instead of pausing it for everybody
- A lot of dashboard type controls could use the little screen like message alerts or music controls (this might actually increase immersion since it doesn't appear on your main screen)

Yup! I remember hoping the dream cast was going to be like this.

Vinci

Danish
Diversification is something no more fashionable?

Why should everyone have a touch-like controller?

I would prefer they didn't. Sort of wanted each company to go crazy in its own way this coming gen, but that was probably overly optimistic.

They still have to wait and make clones for what every Big N come up with, if true then this is just so they can cover they own ass's to tick it off a list

Sardello

I would prefer they didn't. Sort of wanted each company to go crazy in its own way this coming gen, but that was probably overly optimistic.
I though thanks to Nintendo a new trend would have started... everyone offering something different.

Maybe (and reasonably) the push from software house goes elsewhere. Now they are demanding for "Nintendo like" crazyness?

I think Microsoft and Sony should keep the competition on the highend ultramodern hw tech

Vinci

Danish
I though thanks to Nintendo a new trend would have started... everyone offering something different.

Maybe (and reasonably) the push from software house goes elsewhere. Now they are demanding for "Nintendo like" crazyness?

I think Microsoft and Sony should keep the competition on the highend ultramodern hw tech

Personally, I wanted MS, Sony, and Nintendo to each do their own thing for the most part. The tech race isn't helping anyone overly much, so differentiation is what I crave.

This is probably just a demo with WP7 or with new W8 tablets.

There is a serious chance that the next 360 will actually interact with these, but I doubt MS will pack in a tablet like controller. For them it will be about Kinect, backwards compatibility and Live.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Off course they are experimenting with this. Why wouldn't they?

Imagine if the Wii-U tablet-style console ends up actually becoming the "hot new thing" like the Wii, and it goes flying off the shelves. Microsoft would be very wise to have anticipated that, and to be able to launch a comparable product in a very small timeframe would have huge benefits. They could possibly ride the tablet-hype wave along with Nintendo.

I figure the next Xbox won't launch for at least another year, so they are going to wait and see how the Wii-U does first to figure out what the market wants. There's absolutely no reason to believe that the tablet-style controller is the main focus of the new Xbox.

Troll

Banned
This is probably just a demo with WP7 or with new W8 tablets.

There is a serious chance that the next 360 will actually interact with these, but I doubt MS will pack in a tablet like controller. For them it will be about Kinect, backwards compatibility and Live.

What if it is a Windows 8 Tablet!

Kibbles

XBW is the magazine that got all that Goldeneye: XBLA info and screenshots right? Obviously they know someone at RARE

People were laughing at Sony for using the same controller for 3 generations, but they'll be beging for Dual Shock 4. Kutaragi, save us from this madness.

I don't really want a new Dual Shock. I want a fusion between Dual Shock and PS Move. My ideal controller will be an improved Dual Shock break apart controller. It will have 6 face buttons, have L1/R1, and adopt the back grip triggers like the N64 that'll be the new L2/R2.

Tookay

They're trying SO HARD to put these conferences on the same level as Sony 2006. They were bad, but nothing will ever again be THAT bad ever again.

Yep that's true. The videos reek of desperation to reach meme status, but were just the best summaries of what I could find to illustrate my point. Microsoft's worst E3s have been just horribly bland and canned, not as funny as Sony 2006.

The Wii-U controller is not "bulky". I've held it, and it's much more comfortable to hold than it looks.

This is true. It looked really unergonomic, but from what I tried at E3, it had a good weight/feel behind it (though I wish they'd flip the buttons and right slider with each other).

Return of the boomerang controller. Believe.

Top Bottom