• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational |OT| You're invited too!

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I got pretty lucky early on as I imagine this was a hard trophy to unlock.
35PNS.jpg

Anno

Just unlocked the fifth course. Holy shit, this thing doesn't mess around. I love though that it rewards precision and control over distance to a great degree.

Had a hole in one earlier but it was in a daily tournament =( Would've gotten the homing shot trophy too. Oh well.

r.gun

Neo Member
Just unlocked the fifth course. Holy shit, this thing doesn't mess around. I love though that it rewards precision and control over distance to a great degree.

Had a hole in one earlier but it was in a daily tournament =( Would've gotten the homing shot trophy too. Oh well.

I'm in the same boat - got my first and only (so far) hole in one in a daily tourney. No trophy...

Ok, I'm in the 3rd tier and I'm really starting to suck. The greens are very slippery and slope all over the place. They also have a lot more obstacles on the course. I feel like I've hit a wall :(

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ok, I'm in the 3rd tier and I'm really starting to suck. The greens are very slippery and slope all over the place. They also have a lot more obstacles on the course. I feel like I've hit a wall :(

Carnival greens are no joke. They plagued the Tiger Woods series, too. I posted an equation for % putt strength based on lie a while back. Starting with an approximate value for your % putt will land you close enough to the hole that even if you have a shitty read, you'll be close enough to tap it in.

In case you're interested:

Uphill putt

Current putt % to flag + Uphill*1000/Max Putt = Putt %

Downhill putt

Current putt % to flag - Downhill*1000/Max Putt = Putt %

Examples

Flag is 0.30 ft uphill
Current putt % = 50% (what's shown on your putt meter)
Max putt = 30 ft (whatever the maximum distance is)

50 + 0.30*1000/30 = 60%

Flag is 0.52 ft downhill
Current putt % = 43%
Max putt = 60 ft

43 - 0.52*1000/60 = 34.33%
In this example, I would say that 0.52*1000 = just less than 60, so the minus term would be just under 10, so I would actually putt with about 33-35%.

Flag is 1.11 ft uphill
Current putt % = 25%
Max putt = 30 ft

25 + 1.11*1000/30 = 62%
In this example, I would say 1.11*1000 is about equal to 120. 120/30 = 40, so I'd putt about 65-70%. Going uphill, it's safer to over-compensate.

While it IS a feel thing, you don't need to do hardcore math to putt well. The above examples show that you can be super precise about it, or rely on the fact that the cup eats about 8-10% of your putt strength and make educated guesses on putt strength. :) Obviously magnitude of green slope is going to dictate things as well. But I say again that this approximate method is an excellent starting point.

I know people hate making math of things like this, but I can vouch for the fact that this method works. 95% of my putts are 2 putts. In a few days of applying this "approximation", I've gone from +2/3 on a round to regularly shooting -4 or better. It's now time to tweak my spin and approach shots and master green reading that much more.

Anno

Kinda just have to keep playing and getting better in real life more than in the game. Learning the courses is necessary as well. Zoom in on the pin positions before hitting approach shots and see what the slopes are like. A 25ft putt straight up the hill is far far easier than a 6ft putt with a foot of slice on it. Use the contours of the green to your advantage.

I think I have the most difficulty with my approach shots to weird greens. I'll hit the ball based on where I think it should land, but then it hits the weird green and rolls way off. There seems to be a lot of plateau greens in the course that looks like Greece.

TheExodu5

Banned
I don't know why, but I'm tempted to get this game. Never played a HSG game before, is it beginner friendly?

The concept is simple, but the game gets tough pretty quickly. It all depends on you, and how well you can process the information the game presents you with. Personally, I took to it fairly well.

It takes 3 button presses for a golf swing. On top of that, you can apply spin with the d-pad while making the swing. That's all the game is. Mechanically, it's very simple.

I don't know why, but I'm tempted to get this game. Never played a HSG game before, is it beginner friendly?

Sort of, I never played a HSG before in my life and I downloaded this on PSN.

You have to learn the hard way in some ways, spending time on a 9 hole and messing up right at the end and starting over. Over time it becomes easier to judge shots and make the right adjustments.

Anno

You certainly don't need to really know anything about actual golf. I find it helps, though. It's really about doing a lot of quick mental calculations and then executing.

TheExodu5

Banned
Also, the harder courses are not as hard as people make out. They're tough, yeah, but if you play conservatively and strategically, you can get good scores fairly easily. A lot of the holes include some risk vs. reward shots...you could make the green in 1 less shot but if you have poor impact or misjudge your shot, it could cost you the round.

Triz

extremely. But the more you put into it the more you will get out of it. Still my favorite golf franchise after all these years.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think I have the most difficulty with my approach shots to weird greens. I'll hit the ball based on where I think it should land, but then it hits the weird green and rolls way off. There seems to be a lot of plateau greens in the course that looks like Greece.

Always remember that the arrow showing the distance your shot will go includes roll. That's under perfect conditions, too. Always zoom in close to the green and check the slope. I play my approach shots one of two ways (90% of the time):

1) Shoot it short with top spin to roll up and onto the green.
2) Shoot it short (but longer than 1!) with back spin to limit roll and get it to stick.

You need to plan your shots to bounce accordingly, too. If your optimal landing zone has a slope, remember your ball is going to kick quasi-perpindicular to that slope. Also, always remember to press down to gauge the strength of the wind and compensate accordingly.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
All I can compare it with is Tiger Woods...and really it's no contest. HSG is better in every way by a long shot.

Meeeeeeeh....I wouldn't say it's better in every way. Arcade golf vs simulation golf. It's like comparing Mario Kart to GT5 or something. I like them both, but I think TW13 is going to really do a lot for the series. :p

Anno

Also try using more unconventional shots from time to time. If you're facing a strong cross-breeze on an otherwise short shot then club down to something you can hit a half-shot with, say a 5 or 6 iron from 50-70 yards. Land the ball a little shorter and use some backspin to run it up. Curving balls into big swails in the green can also let you ride it around to a different part of the green and usually to a better putt. Also try to curve balls back into a breeze to cut down on cross-breezes.

TheExodu5

Banned
Meeeeeeeh....I wouldn't say it's better in every way. Arcade golf vs simulation golf. It's like comparing Mario Kart to GT5 or something. I like them both, but I think TW13 is going to really do a lot for the series. :p

I've found that even from a sim standpoint, HSG is better. Tiger Woods hasn't been a sim in a long time (at least the last one I played). It was almost impossible not to make a straight shot in Tiger, there seemed to be a fair bit of auto-aim since I was making hole in ones quite consistently, and the spin was downright ridiculous (and you could change the spin mid-flight). Maybe it's gotten better...

As a golfer, HSG just feels like golf to me. There may be a few things about it that are arcadey (like rising shot), but besides that it really feels like golf. It has that nice risk vs. reward factor, as well as the "just one more shot" feel going for it that reminds me so much of playing golf. Reading the green perfectly and sinking a tough put just feels so natural and rewarding.

As a golfer, HSG just feels like golf to me. There may be a few things about it that are arcadey (like rising shot),

you cant do a rising shot for real??? what kinda shitty golfer are you!

having a blast....almost crowned up and looking forward to the 22nd when tournies go live....also hope we get one of them 30% sales i read earlier about as i bought the clubs I use, characters but refuse to spend anymore points (shits expensive yo)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've found that even from a sim standpoint, HSG is better. Tiger Woods hasn't been a sim in a long time (at least the last one I played). It was almost impossible not to make a straight shot in Tiger, there seemed to be a fair bit of auto-aim since I was making hole in ones quite consistently, and the spin was downright ridiculous (and you could change the spin mid-flight). Maybe it's gotten better...

As a golfer, HSG just feels like golf to me. There may be a few things about it that are arcadey (like rising shot), but besides that it really feels like golf. It has that nice risk vs. reward factor, as well as the "just one more shot" feel going for it that reminds me so much of playing golf. Reading the green perfectly and sinking a tough put just feels so natural and rewarding.

Yes, HSG definitely has this over TW. I get about 2 rounds in a week (minimum) when it gets warm out, so that golfer mentality is there with me as well. I think the thing that TW has over HSG in that respect is the courses. HSG has a lot of fun arcadey courses, but TW has courses I know and can play (going to try and get up to play Whistling Straits this year), so I connect with it more on that level.

I won't fully renege my statement, but I will say that if the HSG system/feel was applied to real world courses, I would give all my money to the dev.

frequency

As a beginner, I would say no.

It starts off easy enough. But it quickly ramps up in difficulty and it has all sorts of abilities that just aren't explained to you. It's like it assumes you already know all the terminology and how to do certain shots and stuff in the two seconds they tell you that you earned that new shot. This game feels like it was made for people who were already HSG fans.

But it's still fun if you put in the time/effort to learn it.

raven777

I was playing 1-4 challenge, by 17th hole I was -4 and 2nd place was +3. I messed up 17th so bad that I ended up 2nd place with +3.... felt so bad.

But the game is incredibly fun.

TheExodu5

Banned
As a beginner, I would say no.

It starts off easy enough. But it quickly ramps up in difficulty and it has all sorts of abilities that just aren't explained to you. It's like it assumes you already know all the terminology and how to do certain shots and stuff in the two seconds they tell you that you earned that new shot. This game feels like it was made for people who were already HSG fans.

But it's still fun if you put in the time/effort to learn it.

You can just read the manual.

Okay, maybe I've missed something, or am just too dumb to read and/or google, but at what point do new courses start unlocking for stroke/training play? I've played on 3 different courses now via tournaments and challenges (just started amateur rank), but it seems I can still only select from the very first course, and no courses are available in the shop. I'm guessing I just need to play more?

Anno

Yep, just play more. They'll unlock as store options eventually. One of the more minor things I dislike, just because I don't know why it needs to exists. Oh well.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What's the verdict astrolad...I know you played alot of out of bounds (I have as well)...I love the hot shots series but is it enough to warrant picking up a vita just for hsg?

yes! Well this & Lumines are why I picked one up, but I'm pretty partial to those games.

Isn't there a way to change the lighting in this game? I remember seeing that somewhere.

Also, MAN i suck at this game. end of 2nd tier.. busting my balls lol.

Midou

9th hole, +1, leading by 2, have to shoot ball 3 times out of strange angled sand trap to find an angle that doesn't shoot it into the water, +10, last place, suffering.

I've been making an effort to try to undershoot balls and such though, instead of going for specific spots to place the ball.

I still rage hard at the windmills and such though, I think when you hit the ball everything should stay frozen, so you can at least time it realistically.

Chorazin

Played over lunch, took my time on shots on the first course of the Amature division. Got a bad streak and went +5 on the 8th hole, dropped from 3rd to 20th. :( Tried it again, this time finished in second due to some REALY close shots rolling past the hole. I had a 180yd shot land and roll past the hole by about an inch, then kept going 11 yards since it was a downhill slope right after the hole. I was livid.

Seems like I might be getting the hang of it a bit, I'm not gonna give up yet!

Top Bottom