• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational |OT| You're invited too!

krae_man

for the most part i notice about a -10 average online....i did get lucky as i recognized some of the players and they had off games.

-7 was still my best i believe in online on that course which brought me to my conclusion that i might be overthinking shots online...i may test this today but i do have a vita related injury right now due to either HSG or VT but my thumb is jammed/hurting (not really jammed but i got a nice amount of pain when i hit the buttons)

It also depends if it's mega cup or not. Mega cup makes a huge difference in scores.

Also while leveling up other characters I realized how important the control skill is. I was missing under 15 yard chips on mega cup tournaments because the character had a C or worse for control. Seriously, if anyone is having trouble check your control stat. Make it a high B at the absolute worst.

krae_man

i will not even tell you my mega daily score yesterday !!!!
Are there megas in online?? i never even noticed

There has been one Mega Cup Daily almost every day since launch. As for regular online tournaments, there's a mix match of everything it all depends on what the crowd ends up selecting.

And tiny cup can lick my taint.

I didn't notice much of a difference with that one. I have a pretty good average near pin so those tournaments didn't impact me much.

bunbun777

Is anyone having problems getting into an online lobby? Keep getting stuck on “connecting to network” but my router is fine and i can connect to the network through other means.

edit--- fixed I just restarted the vita

depward

Man, these crown challenges are kicking my butt. Last checked I had 29 of them completed? Most in the lower three rows are done.

hort22

Search for updates.

Gotcha...how about that daily score thing? First score today didn't register but the second did...gave me some error code and said scores could also be registered on another screen but I can't remember which one...

Anyone else ran into this problem?

depward

Gotcha...how about that daily score thing? First score today didn't register but the second did...gave me some error code and said scores could also be registered on another screen but I can't remember which one...

Anyone else ran into this problem?

I've never had that problem :( Sorry

Yuripaw

Banned
HSGphoto.jpg

Had to post this because this is the first time I've ever won a tournament online a HSG game ^_^ (I'm Ockman) There were over 20 people when the tournament started, so I usually figure I have no chance of winning. It was a close match between me and that naitch guy for most of it. I'm usually not very good.

I wish there was some kind of trophy for getting 1st place an online tournament like that. Winning at all was a challenge for me lol

krae_man

Man I'm sucking at the dailies. Had a 100 yard chip in for eagle on the first hole and my immediate thought is "yes this is my chance to win one of these". Then I hit an OB shot on a par 5 and bogey it costing me 3 strokes. I think I'll still be in the top 10% for all 3 rounds but man I need a couple rounds where I don't screw up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Does anyone have some tips for putting? I really have no idea how to accurately read the greens to adjust my putt and I'm whiffing any put longer than 20-30 yards.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Does anyone have some tips for putting? I really have no idea how to accurately read the greens to adjust my putt and I'm whiffing any put longer than 20-30 yards.

Well... try to get your approach shots closer to the pin, and make putting more manageable. That's the most important thing.

30 yard putts aren't really supposed to be easy. That's a situation where you try and make a shot, if you can, but not at the cost of trouble. It's ok to 2-putt in a situation like that. Better than running it way past the hole and losing even more strokes.

Also, those "safe" putts are eventually going to help you learn the putting game. It's good practice. You get to the point where you can make safe long putts and put it near the hole, suddenly the shorter putts are going to seem much easier.

Work on your approach game, and play it safe on the greens. It'll eventually click.

Maybe go to the practice mode and find a medium difficulty green to mess around on.

Edit: As for specific advice... something I do on any putt I think seems challenging (I have a pretty good feel for it now, so I rarely put much thought into putting) is to drop the camera right down to green-level. I think it's much easier to read the green from the lower vantage point...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
QUESTION: when do additional tracks become available for skins and training modes? I'm in the amateur tourney set right now.

subquestion: What did the most recent patch do? I can't find notes anywhere.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

If you go back, I posted some basic equations for getting your putt strength adjusted based off of the height the cup is above or below your current lie. It has worked AMAZINGLY for me since buying the game on FEB release. Like, within 3 feet every time (assuming I didn't make the putt).

QUESTION: when do additional tracks become available for skins and training modes? I'm in the amateur tourney set right now.

subquestion: What did the most recent patch do? I can't find notes anywhere.

If you hold your finger on the Hot shots icon for a second then hit the "..." there is an option for update history so you can read the change log.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If you go back, I posted some basic equations for getting your putt strength adjusted based off of the height the cup is above or below your current lie. It has worked AMAZINGLY for me since buying the game on FEB release. Like, within 3 feet every time (assuming I didn't make the putt).
Do you have a link to that? That'd be helpful!

Well... try to get your approach shots closer to the pin, and make putting more manageable. That's the most important thing.

30 yard putts aren't really supposed to be easy. That's a situation where you try and make a shot, if you can, but not at the cost of trouble. It's ok to 2-putt in a situation like that. Better than running it way past the hole and losing even more strokes.

Also, those "safe" putts are eventually going to help you learn the putting game. It's good practice. You get to the point where you can make safe long putts and put it near the hole, suddenly the shorter putts are going to seem much easier.

Work on your approach game, and play it safe on the greens. It'll eventually click.

Maybe go to the practice mode and find a medium difficulty green to mess around on.

Edit: As for specific advice... something I do on any putt I think seems challenging (I have a pretty good feel for it now, so I rarely put much thought into putting) is to drop the camera right down to green-level. I think it's much easier to read the green from the lower vantage point...
Yeah, getting to the green far away from the hole probably isn't doing me any favours. I'm hoping for better assist clubs later on, but I kind of doubt there will be more of those.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Wow, that's pretty crazy!

Any hints for judging hook/slice distances? Watching the ball swing away from the cup is heartbreaking. :(

Honestly, that's the hardest part about putting, and the only real way is to practice. Remember that the faster the little dots move on the grid, the more extreme the slope. Also remember that a slower ball is more effected by the magnitude of the slope.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Honestly, that's the hardest part about putting, and the only real way is to practice. Remember that the faster the little dots move on the grid, the more extreme the slope. Also remember that a slower ball is more effected by the magnitude of the slope.
Yeah, it just seems impossible to judge sometimes, especially in those rolling hills. I was there was a pure putting tutorial mode or something, because bogeying ain't all that fun. lol

I just had the best round EVER in ANY HSG. The 22nd Daily Tournament, finished -9. Chipped in a ton of Birdies including a 175yd chip in Eagle. I have NO idea how I did that, hell, the first one I played on FEB release day I finished +1. I have played it TWICE since then. I think I finished #250/2500. X_X

Shocked.gif

EDIT: I just did the 23rd Daily Tournament and just finished +5. :| What the hell happened on the 22nd Tournament. I have been knocked back to reality. :\

depward

Question: what do the crown challenges mean when it says "keep getting GIR and win"? Does that mean get 2 or more GIRs?

Question: what do the crown challenges mean when it says "keep getting GIR and win"?

Hit green with a possible birdie putt or better (eagle) you dont have to actually make the putt just get on the green for the chance at a putt birdie.

AND I LOST TO NADAL THANKS TO YOU COMING ONLINE (not really but i need to point fingers)!!!!!

stupid notification pops up right over server, they need to fix that somehow w/o me having to turn notifications off.

Question: what do the crown challenges mean when it says "keep getting GIR and win"?
It means with every hole, get on the green in regulation, and win the tournie.

Greens in regulation:

On a par 3: Get on the green with the first shot
On a par 4: Get on the green with the 2nd shot
On a par 5: Get on the green with the 3rd shot

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man, my one on one with Pancho went into the 13th hole...it was one draw after another. Shit was intense, and hitting the winning birdie felt so damn good. I fistpumped. This game is fun.

I'm finding the Bronze courses VERY hard with Yamato. I already maxed Yuna's loyalty and I'm on my way to do it with Yamato, but If I miss a shot and get a Bogey or Double Bogey I restart the course. I don't want to use the Easy mode, so I'm a bit stuck.

rockx4

I'm finding the Bronze courses VERY hard with Yamato. I already maxed Yuna's loyalty and I'm on my way to do it with Yamato, but If I miss a shot and get a Bogey or Double Bogey I restart the course. I don't want to use the Easy mode, so I'm a bit stuck.

Yea I maxed out Yuna... using Yamato now, and he sucks balls lol.

Number45

Just got to Pro and started getting my ass kicked lol. I still have no idea how to do spins.
The character/club/ball has an impact on how effective you can be with spins (as does shot impact itself), but as you make the impact:

Backspin = hold down
Draw (right to left) = hold right
Fade (left to right) = hold left
Topspin = hold up

For their super variants you hold the opposite direction as you set the power, then the shot you want for the impact. So for super backspin you would hold up as you set the power then hold down for the impact.

Hit pro last night and the game is getting tricky. Sticking with Yuna for now though, getting loyalty up, and using the level 1 turbo spin clubs/balls.

rockx4

The character/club/ball has an impact on how effective you can be with spins (as does shot impact itself), but as you make the impact:

Backspin = hold down
Draw (right to left) = hold right
Fade (left to right) = hold left
Topspin = hold up

For their super variants you hold the opposite direction as you set the power, then the shot you want for the impact. So for super backspin you would hold up as you set the power then hold down for the impact.

Hit pro last night and the game is getting tricky. Sticking with Yuna for now though, getting loyalty up, and using the level 1 turbo spin clubs/balls.

Pro is getting me depressed, getting so many bunkers and bogeys, Yamato's shots sometimes fly in weird direction even when I get a good shot and watch the wind.

Also I tried to do the spins but I don't notice it doing anything. I saw a character do a spin in the amateur VS match, the ball started glowing and moved backwards. Do I need special clubs\balls for that?

Got a hole in one, woo.

I almost got a hole in one a few times, but the ball hits the pole and flies back :(

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Pro is getting me depressed, getting so many bunkers and bogeys, Yamato's shots sometimes fly in weird direction even when I get a good shot and watch the wind.

What's his Control stat at, after you select the club and ball? If your shots aren't going where you want them to, you probably want to increase the Control stat. (Control is what affects the flight path deviation)

Also I tried to do the spins but I don't notice it doing anything. I saw a character do a spin in the amateur VS match, the ball started glowing and moved backwards. Do I need special clubs\balls for that?

Nope, you just need to do a special shot, in this case, its hold Up on upswing, hold Down on downswing, get perfect impact.

I almost got a hole in one a few times, but the ball hits the pole and flies back :(

Homing/Rising shots would have prevented that.

krae_man

I still need like 300k points to buy the rest of the stuff in the shop. The 18k/day I'm getting from the TP I get from the dailies helps but I still need to grind a lot. I'm only getting between 8000-9000 points/ 18 hole tournament. Oh well, I'm moving up the points leaderboards in the process. I'm up to 7th on that.

depward

Hoooly jumpin'. Just posted a -17 score to the 18 hole daily - good for 9th place. That's awesome... but I also got the hole in one trophy and the double eagle trophy in that one round. I had perfect impact for the homing ball for the long chip-in but didn't activate... oh well, I'll take it :D

krae_man

Hoooly jumpin'. Just posted a -17 score to the 18 hole daily - good for 9th place. That's awesome... but I also got the hole in one trophy and the double eagle trophy in that one round. I had perfect impact for the homing ball for the long chip-in but didn't activate... oh well, I'll take it :D

Nice score, unfortunately it won't matter unless you stay in the top 10. Once you drop to 11th, you get the same amount of points as everyone in the top 10%. Which for the 18 hole dailies has been around the top 70 or so people as it's usually about 700 people who do the 18 hole daily.

Number45

In the PSP games I'm sure there was a power meter when you were putting that showed the flow of the green in comparison to where the pin is (to make it easier to judge speed). Am I imagining that, or is it in here somewhere?

Top Bottom